You will never grow up in that short time period where websites were still made with dialup users in mind but you had...

>You will never grow up in that short time period where websites were still made with dialup users in mind but you had broadband
I feel sorry for you tbqfh

Other urls found in this thread:

neocities.org/
brutalistwebsites.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=SE6jy78tV78
youtube.com/watch?v=lKVTMQ70e44
line-mode.cern.ch/
youtube.com/watch?v=npTC6b5-yvM
cameronsworld.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=KOwLu323AGU
nyx.net/
sdf.org/
textfiles.com/
textfiles.com/underconstruction/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tfw geocities R I P

Is there still a rip of it all out there?

>geocities
Just wanna throw this in here: neocities.org/

>Those millions of pages of internet history that couldn't be archived from geocities lost forever

>tfw your geocities website will always be under construction

i did, but i had dial up until 2006

Fuck I feel real old... The remember the good time when internet pop up for first time.

Good thing broadband came otherwise my parent will go insane with telephone cost...

>all those amateurish clan websites on Angelfire and Geocities from which I got maps and mods for Unreal Tournament

If you have half decent internet, you pretty much are experiencing it.

I got 100Mbit line in early 2000. The only point back then with a such high bandwidth was pretty much to run a pirate server which I did. I then distributed all the shit to the local sneakernet.

brutalistwebsites.com/

>when you go switch from dialup to broadband and go online for the first time

>i had dial up until 2006

What the fuck negro?

Maddox's site still exists.

maddox a cuck

>maddox made fun of the alt-right so he's not "our guy" any more

>tbghf

FTFY

>neocities.org/
Any sites of interest up?

Sounds like my kind of guy, go Maddox!

>Pokey the Penguin interview

What happened to simple sites like that, that just got the point across? Absolutely no javascript required to browse the site, unlike today that uses 9001 scripts.

What did maddox do that made the alt-right butthurt?

youtube.com/watch?v=SE6jy78tV78

>Responsive design
It's cancer, and I don't know why people do it. I took a web design module at university, we were taught to design in steps.
1. Make a fully functional and usable HTML website
2. Make it look nice with CSS
3. Add optional fancy shit with JS

Meanwhile in the web dev industry
>USE MORE FRAMEWORKS
>WE NEED AGILE NOW
>RESPONSIVE USER FUCKING
>SLIDESHOW WEBPAGES :))))))))))

Why do slideshow pages exist, fucking w h y.

isnt angelfire still up tough?

>Screenshot thread (56kb warning)

what stops me from embedding malicious javascript on my page?

sandboxing

>Unreal Tournament
my nigga

Oh god, that brings me back a few years. I remember I wanted to make a site with angelfire when I was 8-9 with a copy of dreamweaver, I had no idea what I was doing, and I can't remember if I ended up making something.

>You Will never live in a world where websites are designed for megabit connection but you have DSL which is slower than dialup speeds
I am, and it's a fucking nightmare

you can do responsive design with just CSS though.

I agree though, the large amount of javascript is unreal.

I did.

Boy do I miss it compared to the shit we have now. Now websites take up hundreds of megabytes of memory. That's fucking terrible.

GAY

>websites were still made with dialup users
Still didn't stop people from filling it fuckall with animated gifs and embedded music files.

Websites load faster for me today than when I had broadband in the early 2000s. Maybe your pc/Internet is shit.

Appropriately compressed such that it wouldn't take ages to download and a fuckload of memory to run it.

Everyone else had shit connections and servers. The world's most busiest ftp server in the world in the year 1999 had a 1 gigabit connection and handled some 10000 concurrent users with a 2 gig RAM and 1GHz CPU. I bet most other hosts couldn't afford a such setup.

Yeah, there's a rip out there. It's around 1 TB. I'll totally download it when I have more space.

goddamn that feel. it was like receiving a lambo after driving your beatup first car after a year.

Thank god not. Web was the shit during that time. 2006 - 2009 were the best years.

>Thank god not. Web was the shit during that time.

Underage facebook normal detected.

>2006 - 2009 were the best years.

As much as I loved the imageboard explosion at the time (not to mention Facebook and Youtube being less shit), that's around the time I got disillusioned with the net.

fauux

more like 1994-2007 were the best years

in 2007 things started emerging or gaining popularity like
>big bang theory
>iphone / smartphones
>facebook
>twitter
>jquery

This People that say otherwise were either not there or were born after 2001

Who here was part of the ISP tilde club?

www.example.com/~username/

It started around 2007, but I remember the internet getting really shit around 2011. A pretty delayed death by several years.

>Making a Yahoo account and fucking around in Geocities+Groups, etc.
>Shock sites
>Early 2000s weeb culture
>Early 2000s gamer culture
>Amazing new content on Newgrounds every day
>The 2004 election and the rise of blogging
>The emergence of image macros, YTMND, and memes in general
>Cred Forums before the explosion in popularity ~2006
>Cred Forums before Chanology
>Iichan, Wakachan, 7chan, etc.
>Rapidshare/RS
>Torrent culture still going strong

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

should have posted the gif mang

the guy teaching web design at my old university started ranting about these "responsive" sites and how awful they are, and I have to agree with him. web developers and the industry seem to be pants-on-head retarded these days.

chan before the explosion in popularity ~2006
Cred Forums was fine until 2010 when joot recruited sjw mods to clean up the boards while he was looking for canv.as funding.

As a webdev, the only reason I add JS shit to my projects is that I'd be unemployable without it.

The measure of a front-end web developer in 2016 is in JS and how many frameworks you know.

It definitely happened in waves. Cred Forums wasn't bad after 2006, just different. It's mostly meh now, save for a handful of boards like /vg/.

>you will never grow up with Web 1.0
Feels good man

>neocities.org/

>featured sites
>lainchan

When I watch a Youtube video, I just pop it into youtube-dl and watch it locally.

>>SLIDESHOW WEBPAGES :))))))))))

Kill them all.

>use to think they where ugly and shit

>times passes now I miss them.

Even though i hate the colors,backgrounds atleast they gave you wat you want without much ads

this. I have rarely used the web portion of the internet. I guess that is how I was able to make do with ISDN until late 2009.

>ISDN until late 2009
Holy shit, I've only heard about this in some txts on textfiles.com.

all those feels

>playing the war on terror games on newgrounds back in 2003 on IE6
>IRC in the early 2000s
>Kazaa
>Warcraft 3 Battle.net
ahh, fond memories

I had a t1 to myself, almost literally, many times in the times when 256kb was outstanding

It's disheartening trying to browse the modern web on old hardware. So much bloated javascript shit and css monstrosity's out there.

And what's worse with all these more powerful smartphones, it's going to get only worse. Not even viewing the mobile version of a page is going to be safe anymore.

Alas, I did not get a dial-up connection until 2004... That didn't stop my Brother and I from spending hours on a Geocities site downloading audio clips.

I had to overclock this conroe core 2 duo to 3ghz just so I could use a javascript-heavy site, and it barely works adequately now. I was playing crysis with this computer in 2008, but now it can't even run a web application anymore?

youtube.com/watch?v=lKVTMQ70e44

I was downloading mp3s off kazaa back in 2002 on 56k dial-up, got about 5KB/s download speeds at best. at least I got 512kbps ADSL a year later.

ftfy

what site was that? I use core2 hardware all the time and I don't think Ive ever had that kind of problem

even my Pentium 4s are still pretty okay

got the free deezer trial, but the web client is barely usable on this computer.

>RealPlayer
anime and good times

oh yeah web clients really do suck ass even on current hardware

really pathetic when you think about it

I'd love to have some sorta standard imageboard protocol so that you could read and post in a client made specifically for imageboards.

>tfw no WWW until 1996 here
I still dialled into BBS:es until 1995 or so. During the 90s I mostly used irc and usenet. It was a bitch to find things at the dawn of internet. I relied on people on BBS:es to tell me where to find shit. The first webcrawlers were kind of bad at indexing.

>the internet before social media
>games before dlcs on pc became popular
>games that were still moddable
>old youtube

why is the world getting worse by the day?

Yeah, most all BBS's died in '95. It was the year boardwatch magazine declared BBS's a dead tech and became an ISP trade mag.

I still have various floppy disks somewhere which contain warez downloaded from BBS:es in the early-mid 90s, although they came from a coworker of my dad at the time. I was using FTP indexers to search for stuff in the early 2000s, before I moved on to Kazaa and DC++

Social media on internet has probably been around longer than the average Cred Forums user 2016 have been using internet. It's like everyone have forgotten myspace. And the first social media website called six degrees saw the dawn of light in 1997.

I miss the website designs.

I don't miss waiting 5 minutes to download a 10 second clip of Charlie Garcia.

Yeah Guys! we should really go back to the original web. It was so great reading text on a screen one line at a time.

line-mode.cern.ch/

I had dial up until 2008.

>tfw always had good expensive internet and didnt have dial up

felt pretty good still was slow but it was fast for its time

>one line at a time
did you even click your own link you fucking retard?

>have/had a 5 digit ICQ number
It's sad but I forgot the login information. I used ICQ to chat with people in New York to get the latest info during the 9/11 terror attacks.

>he doesn't know what line mode is.

Yeah I'm the retard.

>he thinks line mode is literally one line at a time
yeah pretty much

Line mode terminal only work one line at a time retard. thus the the name.

>authentic mode with green gamma ray CRTs giving you eye and brain cancer

This, thank god wireless internet exist nowadays.

I actually did.
Internet back then was like the wild west, i miss it

> I don't know how serial communication works
Just give up.

no fucking shit, how does that apply to the human reading it?

or even make it different from the interpreter-heavy modern web?

1) it wasn't a "full screen" buffer
2) you had to refetch the line you wanted
3) serial communication is slow

It wasn't like lynx faggot.

>he doesn't know about green screen terminals
Are you born in the 00s? Leave child.

>tfw dialup into 2004
>its a Warcraft 3 custom map episode
GUYS PLEASE WAIT

>le newfags pretending to be old.

Linemode = ex or ed
visual mode = vi

Does that spell it out?

>Amazing new content on Newgrounds every day

Creators put so much more effort into things back then.
Nowadays with the culture of instant gratification, very few bother or even have the basic patience required to learn and create something time consuming.

Pic related was shit even back then, but god dammit it's still running.
That's some dedication from the creator.

This is one thing I'm very happy to see disappear. Fuck Real Player and fuck it hard.
>Buffering
>Buffering
>Buffering
>Ready
>Plays for 12 seconds..
>Buffering
>Buffering

What did you work with at cern? Because if you actually had web access as you claim before 1994 and used a line mode browser you worked at the fucking cern or another research institute. If you used internet from 1994 and on you used netscape navigator.

Well thanks for inventing internet I guess grandpa on the off chance you aren't 15 years old.

just because computers/serial was slower and the slow drawing was more apparent, doesn't make it functionally any different to modern text mode applications

You still miss the point.
If you had a line mode terminal you couldn't use lynx. You had to use linemode www. If you did have a visual mode terminal then you used lynx. lynx and linemode were completely different even though they were developed at the same time.

This is what I get for going into a shit nostalgia thread.

Or you could just have used the first web browser created instead of the inferior LMB which came second.

>everyone had a Next or 20k Sun on their desk.
Sure kid.

GTFO you disgusting LPB

Well done on killing this thread.

righto, you mean this was for terminals which didn't support writing text to arbitrary coordinates on the screen?

>calls someone a kid on the internet
only kids calls someone else a kid on the internet. you should prepare better next time by doing better research on wikipedia. you are not convincing at all to someone that actually took their masters during the early 90s.

Correct. Character addressable vs Line mode

i see, my bad
this is a bit before anything i've used, i'm only familiar with the former

I live in the period of time where I have European Internet but websites are still made for Canadians, Australians and Americans in mind.

It's pretty much the same thing you describe.

SAVED

> defending liking watching your SO get railed by somebody else
> no worse than other fetishes

oh wow it's not like there could be actual biological/evolutionary reasons why certainty of paternity is semi-important to a male.

I don't even know who this guy is but holy shit how pathetic can you get?
Questioning the legitimacy of a man's children is probably one of the strongest and deepest insults in any human culture all the way back to pre-history.

>read guide
>it consists of 20 steps
>each fucking step has its own page
>have to click next and wait for the page to load again

>Torrent culture still going strong
It still is senpai

He's right though, WWW only ran on NeXTSTEP, which had fuck all exposure outside of (and even within) higher academia.

>I don't even know who this guy is
You must be in your teens.

>Questioning the legitimacy of a man's children is probably one of the strongest and deepest insults in any human culture all the way back to pre-history.
Only alt-righters use "cuck" as an insult unironically and use this shit to back it up.

>if i cry about "alt-righters" and list off a bunch things they have in common void of criticism i'll have totally indicted their world view

>geocities
I miss this so much. And yes, a lot of it is archived. Just do a quick search.

The fucking worst crime of all is when the dynamic website loading breaks all anchors due to scrolling, so you can't even link to a particular section anymore

mathjax has this problem, and it completely breaks even what would otherwise be a perfectly static HTML site..

I miss textured backgrounds and funny colorful gifs

who /ragnarok online/ here?

listening to the OST/BGM rips brings tears to my eyes

The problem is JavaScript

Imagine if they were written in C++ or something instead

youtube.com/watch?v=npTC6b5-yvM

Its not the same now.

Slideshows = more advertising

I still frequent super dimension fortress with my original shell account.
Man how i miss all the shell account providers.
Groovy times of access.

>tfw too lazy to send in my validation
the bulletin board is pretty comfy even though I don't feel comfortable doing anything but lurking

Instead we have sites made with broadband, but use 200mbps Fibre.

prepare yourselves
cameronsworld.net/

Sitckdeath fuck yeah youtube.com/watch?v=KOwLu323AGU

ogrish, /gur/ and Cred Forums before the raid

I was on 56k longer than any of you children, let me tell you, it was a very weird time

If you were in the US you should have splurged for ISDN. It was only a little more than pots service and post 2000 ISP's didn't give shit if you logged in twice on the same account to get that sweet 128kbps.

Fuuck, I lost irrecoverable footage of early 90's LAN parties with over 1000's of people playing Quake, CS and BW

this is why you make backups!!

Yeah well we were not sophisticated, it was just me on a per hour AOL charge over 56K in the 90's I didn't pay the bills, we got one-way cable as soon as it was available for $50 a month.

I posted it on some free web hosting shit and thought it would last forever

r.i.p.

do you have backups of everything else that would be irreplaceable if lost now?

I will never recover all of my terrible Klik n' Play games made by my prepubescent self for my own amusement. I'm sorry.

There is a mythical zip disk somewhere with these terrible games and probably some really old emulators somewhere...

Unlike most people, I kinda wish a lot of the old stuff I did on the internet still existed in some form, cringey or not. Maybe I can go halfway there and find old BYOND projects in a CD-R somewhere...

>implying 90's web design was good
Besides, Japan still designs websites like it's the fucking 90s anyway, if you want some nostalgia

I grew up during this time. It sucked compared to now honestly. I remember when I was excited to hear a 30 second clip of a song from cdnow.com. Napster blew my mind. Everything is far better now. It will just never be exciting and new again.

>implying it wasn't better than it is now

>tfw had DSL in 1999

>it's a nostalgia thread

>I took a web design module at university,
Tell me more about how you feel about responsive design with maybe 3 whole months of instruction most likely coming from someone who's also never done this shit in the real world.

Now my night is ruined, fuck.
Chanology trash in '08 made Cred Forums worse then it was, I'd say everything started going downhill around that time. That said the internet wasn't truly shit until; mobile garbage, people getting hyper offended over words, social media narcissism, and people treating the internet like serious business took over.

>tfw collections will never come back

Rapidshare was fucking garbage back then. Modern sites like Mega and Mediafire shit all over it.

I used 56k dial up until 2007, AMA.

ad revenue, user, ad rev
its all about the scrilla, the chedda, the bacon, the dough, the greeeeenbacks
why do you think those stupid clickbait website have TOP TEN MOST X YOU WONT BELIEVE
you know that every time you solve a captcha, you're working for free?

if you think you're paying for access to the internet, you got it twisted. youre paying for the internet to have access to YOU.

browse wisely user.

I did grow up in that time period.
Now I've found myself as a grown up in a time period where websites are made with broadband and mobile users in mind, and I have a 300 Mbit connection.

You speak like this was actual early internet.

Girlfriend steals creditcard and buys computer.
Compaq presario 486.
Learn to dialup.
Literally type www.hackers.com in address bar the first time.
Website existed.
Find out that windows 95 is not the only operating system.
Ask them what linux is.
They send sourcecode for entire linux os in email.
Read email and have no idea what the fuck they sent me.
Bought redhat 5.2 two weeks later at a games store.
Buy an external modem next day because ...winmodems.
Go to thieving girlfriends workplace soon after and stumbled across their isp details.
Didnt pay for dialup ever again until we split.
Learned learned learned.
Gopher was king.

I can't describe you how envious I was when I saw people with T1 or T3 connections back then...

Now I have like T5 or whatever it would be...

>winmodems
why must you remind me, user?

I clearly remember using dial up on the family computer in 2008

>tfw you still have an external modem lying around, but no ISP to dial up to to hear those sweet connection tones again

creative labs solved my problems

nyx.net/
sdf.org/

some isp's have dialup as a backup in the land where nothing cool is allowed

i still go here. About the last place going.

textfiles.com/

wasn't my intention
it's just the only feature i truly miss on youtube

>broadcast yourself.
Someday... Someday...

Underrated post.

>you will never grow up in that short time period where websites were still made with broadband users in mind but you had fiber

>tfw no google fiber in my area

I can't even deal with how Aestheticthis is

>mfw my older cousins showed me stickdeath.com

>In an age where we interact primarily with branded and marketed web content, Cameron’s World is a tribute to the lost days of unrefined self-expression on the Internet. This project recalls the visual aesthetics from an era when it was expected that personal spaces would always be under construction.

Oh man, I didn't expect these feels.

>tfw no broadband in my area

the internet will never feel like this again

geocities in japan is still up cucklords

>cameronsworld.net/
What did he mean by this?

Nostalgia aka wishing you could be young again. Face it, even children get older. I'm getting older too

[this comment requires frames which your browser does not support]

Anyone remember this?

get better internet senpai, gigabit plans are literally a thing

>tfw you had dialup till 2014
>tfw you missed the golden age of the internet

it's more he got really butthurt when people called him a cuck

To experience old slow posting Cred Forums I was going to tell you to go to iichan. But it turns out they shut down in 2012. Feels like I was there just yesterday.

textfiles.com/underconstruction/