/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook
github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/5440
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide)
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/09/23/end-of-linux/
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
wired.com/2014/04/tails/
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/97721/how-to-change-the-xorg-gamma-brightness
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro9,2_(Mid-2012)
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2016-March/027547.html
smb.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/Support/Files/Sagem F3864 Datasheet.pdf
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/underscore
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/533rcs/looking_for_a_terminal_emulator/d7pwuyj
vandyke.com/products/securecrt/
packages.debian.org/search?suite=default§ion=all&arch=any&searchon=all&keywords=geforce 9800
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
youtube.com/watch?v=C2yHESniocs
github.com/eosrei/EmojiOne-Color-Font
lmgtfy.com/?q=no working init found
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have a Wget configured to print only the progress bar. But as this would flood my terminal screen, I configured the script do delete the progress bar after it reaches 100%, before printing the next on the same line. The problem is: sometimes the download does not occurs, so there is nothing printed by Wget, and the script delete previous lines about unrelated things.

How to detect if Wget printed a progress bar? I can't use "$?", as Wget returns "0" even if nothing was downloaded.

pic taken from Wikipedia

Ubuntu MATE is the best distro no contest

I have the following in my ~/.xinitrc:
./.xinitrc:export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=""

Now, after booting the system, it's set to gtk:
[~] ยป echo $QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE
gtk

What gives? I grep'd my entire home folder and there's no sign of any other export.
Do I have to put that into ~/.zshrc instead?

Does anyone know of a WiFi USB adapter that

* works well with GNU plus Linux
* supports 5 GHz (802.11n is enough)
* supports master mode

I pay in advance with this rare Pepe

This has been driving me crazy. Is there any way to disable those stupid scroll wheel + mouse movement shortcuts that MATE has??

My little sisters are getting a new computer (macbook because their parents are "artists" ) and from how they have left other computers they've used, having OS X is probably a bad idea, as they can easily get it full of viruses.
So what's a good Linux distro for them? All it really needs is Macbook compatibility, access to a decent browser, flash and optionally a Spanish translation.

Try ~/.xprofile

It's executed even when you use a standard session instead of ~/.xinitrc

Whch desktop environment? Some desktop environments have that variable hardcoded. There was a thread on the Arch forums discussing that. I think LXDE did that.

Every distribution (apart from the niche ones which only offer free software) fit those criteria.

For now I set that in my shell rc file since I need that mostly for programs that I run through terminal for debugging purposes but I'll try with .xprofile later.

Cinnamon

>having OS X is probably a bad idea, as they can easily get it full of viruses
???
Not trying to shill Apple at all, but what are you talking about?

Anyway, you'd probably be fine with any flavor of Ubuntu. They have this page with info for different models of macbooks: help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

Download Cinnamon sources and grep it for QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE to find out.

Just yesterday I had to clean a work computer because they got it filled with malware. Thanks to that I now know first-hand that OS X can actually get infected

Really? In that case I think I'll just get them plain ol' Ubuntu.

Ah, found an issue on GitHub regarding this:
github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/5440

Still open though. I'll roll with exporting that var for now I guess.

So I had Xubuntu installed as a backup OS in case Windows farted or something, but I didn't like XFCE nor the bloat Ubuntu comes pre-installed with.

Then I went with Debian a couple of days ago but after trying to install nvidia-drivers and creating a xorg.conf file to use them, I would get stuck in the login screen after rebooting (I would login and come back to the same screen prompting my credentials again). I have a 660GTX and used driver version 340.96. Apparently with nouveau it isn't needed, except in my case, since my monitors weren't being recognized nor could I set them to their native resolutions.

So I went further down the rabbit's hole today and decide to fall for the Arch meme. I followed the installation guide (install.txt or wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide) and everything was ok up until partition.

I had this partition table with a 2TB HDD:
-Windows and installed programs (931GB) - /dev/sdb1 - NTFS
-Work and other shit (911GB) - /dev/sdb2 - NTFS
-Used-to-be-Debian (18.2GB) - /dev/sdb5 - ext4
-Swap partition (1.8GB) - /dev/sdb6

Using fdisk, I deleted sdb5 and sdb6 (I don't really need swap space) and recreated it again with the full 20GBs that they both make up. I think I didn't follow proper procedure since when installing everything with the pacman script the installation went bonkers (a lot of packages were already installed, probably from the debian installation). That is, I don't think I formatted sdb5 properly, I just recreated the partition.

So, what's the proper procedure to format an already created partition with fdisk? Or should I just drop the autism and pick a more straightforward distro?

Thank you guys. Bear with me.

You don't have to use fdisk to create partition. Cfdisk is easier to use (or cgdisk if you use GPT).
You use mkfs to format the drive with a filesystem. It's explained in the guide.

Perhaps try with gparted instead which is a GUI tool?

Did you write the changes to the drive after removing the old partitions and creating a new one? You need to actually commit these changes.

It's MBR, so I'll try cfdisk.
I'll go with the GUI option if my retardness keeps me from doing shit.
Yes, I did. I deleted sdb5 and sdb6 with the d command and recreated the whole sector range with the n command. Then I committed changes to disk with w.

>a lot of packages were already installed,
Debian doesn't install Arch packages, even if the partition wasn't wiped properly it still wouldn't throw such errors.
you tried to install them in the live medium or some shit.

I mounted the root:
mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt

And then?

Guys, how can I bind my multimedia keys on i3 WITHOUT using playerctl?

I'm on Debian and they don't package it, so I'd figure it's best to use another solution.

If it's too much of a hassle though, I can just make build it from their git

How do you partition your drives?
I was thinking of putting my home directory on a different partition, but the home directory gets filled up with so much junk and if I reinstall or install a new distro, it'll just keep on accumulating junk.
Should I just symlink Downloads and Documents to a separate partition because they usually end up taking most of my space and contain files I want to keep?

Use amixer (alsa and pulseaudio) or pactl (pulseaudio) to make changes.

I dunno I have home on a separe partition, no documents folder, and downloads set to my storage drive in Firefox.

I checked if the mirror list was in its place and proceeded to execute:
pacstrap /mnt base

Waited for everything to download and, when everything was installing, errors started to pop-up saying that the packages where already in their respective locations. I changed root and not a single command worked. That's where I got stuck.

neither amixer or pactl seem to have commands for play/pause/stop/next/previous though

I've already got the Volume and Mute covered though

bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec amixer -q sset Master 2%+ unmute
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec amixer -q sset Master 2%- unmute
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec amixer -q set Master toggle

>sset
use set

Okay.

Do you know how to set the Player/Pause/Next/Previous commands though? Without using playerctl

>Should I just symlink Downloads and Documents to a separate partition because they usually end up taking most of my space and contain files I want to keep?

I'm a POS who dual-boots Windows exclusively for games, so in order to share files between OS's, I have a separate NTFS storage partition. I symlink my Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, and Videos from the storage partition to my Linux home directory.

My bad, I thought playerctl was another frontend for pactl or amixer.
See if your player exposes the controls via certain commands or MPRIS. Maybe you can bind those then.

Also unrelated to GNU/Linux, but kinda completes my explanation...

In Windows 7, you can remove your Documents, Pictures, etc, and use mklink to make symlinks for them. But Windows 10 added the feature to change those folders' locations, and then made it impossible to remove them like you could in Win7, even with admin privileges, which is annoying because you can't use a batch script like you could before. LOTS of mouse movement and clicking involved in changing those folder locations in Windows 10.

Yet more reason to use GNU/Linux.

USe the XF86 commands that are what you are wanting?
There have all of what you want.
xmodmap

I'm running Linux Mint, and I'm having trouble setting permanent aliases. I'm trying to make something like
alias update = 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade'

but whenever I edit the etc/bash.bashrc file and reboot it never takes. Is there some other file I should be adding this to instead? I keep reading about editing the .bashrc file, is there a different one in another location I should be editing instead.

/boot 100mb
/ 10gb
/home rest of storage

Change storage for root if you plan on using multilib, then double it to 20gb

Why is this not building?
Firefox-nightly
mozconfig is in the base dir
Im trying to copy it to the src dir for compiling
cp ../mozconfig mozconfig

But it is not moving the file to the src dir
Anything im missing?

First off, consider switching to a better distribution.

>alias update = 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade'
This wount work, because the spaces, use aliases like this:
alias update='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade'
Your bashrc is here: ~/.bashrc

You don't need to reboot GNU/Linux ever, except for a kernel update.

Your bashrc is reloaded every time you open a new terminal window or when you enter
. ~/.bashrc
"." is a builtin shortcot for "source", so
source ~/.bashrc
also works.

. means actually execute
help .

where are my homies
why is this thread so slow

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

you're not my homie linus cuck

SystemD shilling intensified recently, a lot of us saw the writing on the wall and went over to BSD. Linux is being overrun by SJWs pushing the RedHat/Debian/Canonical triumvirate. BSD is rapidly absorbing community-based refugees.

this is my first Linux OS, I'm still getting a feel for it before I switch. After I'm familiar with it, I'd like to try out Fedora (considering I'd like to work in security) but that's still a couple months out before the switch

thanks to both of you though, I'll start working on this

Is there any spotify client for terminal?

literally nobody is using bsd

linux is the kernel, the os is gnu/linux

>not listening to your own music in FLAC

Spot on. Linux is breaking into two camps: the corporate oligarchy lead by RHEL which is pushing Windows-like spyware into the kernel through SystemD and the rabid lunatic SJW communists lead by Stallman, who are ensuring the community based distros are all hounded to death for not being pure enough or for being socially insensitive.

The BSD community hasn't come under similar attack yet so a lot of people are going there.

>SJW communists
Go back to school and learn what communism is.

I'm not falling for your crap, shill

Not many people use a toilet in modern India, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't. The OS space is being opened up. MS is sliding, "MacOS," is rapidly going up it's own ass. Linux is coming under assault by the authoritarians. BSD is now poised to grab shares where these giants are coming unglued.

>not "real," communism, the post
Spare me the academic debate hippie. Your system sucks no matter how you label it and the social justice pets that are pushing it are also killing it with their tribal ignorance.

literally nobody is using bsd

Not an argument Rajneesh.

Guys, I just learned the basics on how to use vim and set up a basic .vimrc. Got a nice color theme for syntax highlighting. However, I observed that when I start vim in the terminal, it basically ignores this color config. I tried it in GVim and voila, it worked. So I have to assume this is due to the color palette used for my urxvt terminal.

Is there any way to make in-terminal vim use the color scheme it is supposed to use and ignore urxvt's when inside vim? Or do I have to fuck with urvxt's settings to make it match vim's color scheme? If it's of any use, the vim theme in question is called badwolf and this is my .Xresources config

Xcursor.theme: DMZ-White

URxvt.font: xft:Terminus:pixelsize=16

*background: #232C31
*foreground: #C5C8C6
! black
*color0: #2D3C46
*color8: #425059
! red
*color1: #A54242
*color9: #CC6666
! green
*color2: #8C9440
*color10: #B5BD68
! yellow
*color3: #DE935F
*color11: #F0C674
! blue
*color4: #5F819D
*color12: #81A2BE
! magenta
*color5: #85678F
*color13: #B294BB
! cyan
*color6: #5E8D87
*color14: #8ABEB7
! white
*color7: #6C7A80
*color15: #C5C8C6

URxvt.internalBorder: 0
URxvt.externalBorder: 0

URxvt.scrollBar: false

URxvt*fading: 30

URxvt.perl-ext-common: matcher,resize-font,foo

URxvt.keysym.F11: perl:fullscreen:switch

URxvt.resize-font.smaller: C-Down
URxvt.resize-font.bigger: C-Up

URxvt.url-launcher: /usr/bin/firefox
URxvt.keysym.M-Delete: perl:matcher:list
URxvt.colorUL: #7780a1

can someone explain this picture to me

can someone explain to me why systemd is seen as spyware? i just got into rhel and it think its alright

It's not spyware. It's morons throwing buzzwords around.

The concern is that systemd is a big monolithic init system that has absorbed a bunch of functions. Conspiracy nuts label it as the NSA using Red Hat to take over the GNU/Linux ecosystem by making everyone adopt it.

When in reality, when a better alternative appears, distros will just switch to whatever's better for them and make that the default.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/09/23/end-of-linux/

- does a nmap network scan
- extracts a archive
- runs a shellscript

nothing interesting, especially because non of these commands return any results, lol

it's not spyware, systemd is free software
the discussions about it are structure related

RHEL being a well-made distribution has absolutely nothing to do with the arguments against systemd.

you missed the sudo as root

Anyone? pls respond

k thanks user, i was looking for a concise reply like this

Add "set t_Co=256" to your vim config file.

Alas, this did not work.

What else would you recommend trying?

Does arch use systemd? Can it be switched to init?

Oh cool I get a chance to post this again

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

Is there a better place for themes other than the gnome-look/*-look sites. Pretty much looking for a numix-like without the awful red.

delet this

I wish to escape the botnet.I already use linux,a vpn,and pi hole.

Am I escaping the botnet with pi hole? it uses google dns. Should i be using my own dns?

Devs rather enflate their ego with nit pick green text, then address the issue at hand.

I like the traditional Clearlooks for widget style while ultra-flat for borders. Icon is Arc.

These themes I found - GNOME-looks probably won't have them.

user, you're plugged into the Matrix anyway so the only way to escape the botnet is killing yourself.

It does. And systemd is completely fine. Ignore the tryhard NEET

Go ask reddit.com/r/vim

which distributions dont have systemd? i dont want it

Do you mean this in a derogatory sort of way or is that place an actually good source of advice?

what is this?

Go to the wikipedia

>Do you mean this in a derogatory sort of way or is that place an actually good source of advice?
Not at all, I actually was a frequent visitor for about a year after I learned how to use Vim, and I owe most of my knowledge to it.

>or is that place an actually good source of advice?
They're the largest and most active community of vim users, and multiple people (including some "gurus") are willing to answer nearly any questions you have. There can be a hint of elitism (the users who like Vim to be more minimal like vi vs the users who like Vim to be like an IDE) but besides that the place is great for any and all Vim-related things. Also it's been around for years, so try searching for relevant threads before posting.

Nemo

What's the best distro for someone new that wants to learn?

Can anybody give me the meme with rms with and cheese knife?

linux from scratch

Pisi Linux, Linuxfx or Bicom Systems PBXware.

Ubuntu for learning, later switch to Debian, don't fall for the Arch or Mint memes.

did you just find them off github? Been using win3x with classic95 icons because I thought it was funny then never changed it.

Here's a thing I said like 5 threads back which seems relevant to you: Also here's a silly webm.

Hey I was wondering if the program gemcad had linux support?

I'm installing Arch on my laptop. The chip is an AMD Carrizo APU.

Should I use the xf86-video-ati driver or the xf86-video-amdgpu driver?

How do I permanently change the gamma in Arch? I've tried making a systemd service to do it and other methods of making it a startup script but I can't for the life of me get this shit to change permanently, I have to manually set it on each boot.

forgot a qt pic to make people notice my post

AMD GPU

Not qt enough, I did not notice your post

>qt A SHIT

>systemd is free software
lel, this is the best defense of systemD(partment of Defense) you have? What is it now impossible to compromise free software? Who is Ed. Snowden?

i cri

fuck off

>is it now impossible to compromise free software
Yes.

>posting on an anime imagboard

>Who is Ed. Snowden?
A systemd user. Now fuck off.

Thank

On that note, is there a comprehensive list of all the possible amdgpu kernel parameters somewhere? All I can find are the ati/radeon ones, and they don't seem to do anything with the amdgpu driver.

What is heartbleed?
No, he isn't. :^)

You're wrong user-kun, this board is called Cred Forums - Technology, not Cred Forums - Anime and Manga

heartbleed was a openssl bug, a bug is nothing "compromised"
do you even know what free software is?
>no he isnt
yes he is, tails is using systemd

HELP PLS

I just hand picked them while lurking Cred Forums. I decided to stay with Clearlooks now

Kotori a best

Akarin a best

Come at me faggot.

>Gpl licensed, free and open source
>"Just werks"
>Faster boot process
>Eliminates bloat/meme packages

There is NO reason why one should delete systemd from his system. There is nothing systemd can't do what other init systems can.

>Botnet
Source is open, show where

>Not Unix
Neither is linux

>pottering
So what packages did YOU make yesterday?

>"bugs" can't be intentional
>thinking snowden uses Tails, a honeypot
Oh boy this is gud.

>There is NO reason why one should delete systemd from his system.
Aside from using something that isn't a feature-creeping hole within which to hide "bugs," for state intel.

>free software
>honeypot
just stop already, kek

>feature-creeping
So it's getting new features? Great

Give me one (ONE) down-to-earth practical reason why I should uninstall systemd.

>Hard mode
Don't embarrass yourself

The kikes at wired said he does
wired.com/2014/04/tails/
now can someone please help me with

Thanks for the detailed advice.
Thank you too guys

That's how I can tell you're either trolling or retarded. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just baited me. Well done

>BSD cuckold jelly cuz systemd master race won't work in his NEET OS
hehehe lmao

go back

Fuck having two panels

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/97721/how-to-change-the-xorg-gamma-brightness

I'm using Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS.

How can I get rid of screen tearing? I am also using intel integrated graphics (i915) i think

deviantart

Install Ubuntu GNOME and use their wayland session. No tearing involved

Thank you lad

run compton

Not familiar with GNOME, I hear MATE is pretty good

>tearing problem
>suggest to switch de and window system
retard

> I was only 39 years old
> I loved Stallman so much, I had all the FSF-approved distros and GNU corelibs
> I pray to Stallman every night before shutdown, thanking him for the software I've been given
> "Stallman is love" I say. "Stallman is life"
> Linus hears me and he calls me a freetard
> I knew he was just jealous of my devotion for Stallman
> I called him a proprietary cunt
> He kernelpanics me and sends me to go to my userspace
> Im crying now, and my shell hurts
> I lay in bed and its really cold
> A warmth is moving towards me
> I feel something touch me
> Its Stallman
> I am so happy
> He whispers in to my ear, "share the software"
> He grabs me with his powerful free-as-in-freedom hands and puts me on my hands and knees
> I'm ready
> I spread my libreboot cheeks for Stallman
> He penetrates my GRUB
> It hurts so much but I do it for Stallman
> I can feel my init system tearing as my package manager start to update
> I push against his force
> I want to please Stallman
> He interjects a mighty interjection as he fills my homedir with his love
> Linus walks in
> Stallman looks him straight in the eye and says. "It's all free now"
> Stallman leaves through my X window system
> Stallman is love, Stallman is life

guise plz?

Wayland doen't have tearing idiot

wtf i hate sanity now

Use a compositor/wm that supports opengl vsync.
ie. compton can be run on top of a wm.

Now days I use kwin for everything, be it Xfce or Mate, used to use Compiz, but it's maintenance is in the hands of Canonical atm.

No.

You can easily remove one of them.

Isn't it buggy though.

Wayland is still buggy on all implementations, not to mention the newest Nvidia debacle. I'm hoping somebody budges, since with out Nvidia onboard of Wayland, the fears of a fragmentation rise.

Yes it is, and it's not all about wayland. Drivers and Xwayland acting with current Xorg based programs.

Wayland is the future, just like systemd is. Nvidia has to join the party even if it's too late. KDE has gone wayland since 5.8 as well

Everything's alright know. I forgot to execute mkfs. Thanks guys.

I just have a last quick question. In other distros I used update-grub to make GRUB recognize Windows but this command is not available in Arch. How should I go about this?

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I already did this step. No luck.

Did you install os-prober? My Arch-Windows setup recognises windows full well

If it isn't in the base install then no. I'll try it and report later. Thanks, user.

No, it isn't. You gotta install os-prober seperately

Can I run linux on my macbook pro 2012?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro9,2_(Mid-2012)

I have a Win3.1 installation for use with DOSBox. How do I tell GRUB to stop identifying it as a bootable option? Using Xubuntu 16.04, if it makes any difference.

Anyone have any luck dual booting linux(specifically an Ubuntu derivative) on a windows 10 machine using a usb stick? I have an Asus e403s(small machine, low on processor power, but the screen is dope, battery life is awesome and I'm not doing anything crazy.) I prefer linux as an OS and I like tinkering and getting shit to work.

When i installed Xubuntu, it hung at the end of quitting the OS and rebooting. After the install, I had to power down the computer, then for shits and giggles I checked to see if it would boot and no luck. I have screwed around with EVERY BIOS setting(cm-something, fastboot, tried to change boot order, etc etc.)

I tried it in live mode and I rebooted and it did the exact same thing.

I used Rufus and Unetbootin to put the iso on THE SAME thumb drive.
I removed that partition, moved it back in to the main windows 10 partition and I'm just wondering what you all are thinking.

Could it be ubuntu? I'm thinking of trying Mint a little later tonight to see if I have the same problem.

Could it be the thumb drive? It is a piece of shit I got from a trade show.

Where do you place the bootloader when installing? Under the Windows 10 loader?

All suggestions are welcome.

Ofc Wayland is the future, but in what form is the question. Since Wayland is the spec and Kwin and Mutter are the actual implementations, and currently neither works with the Nvidia proposed driver and most likely will never.
So shall Nvidia do some modular hack approach or redesign their approach.
If former, we have fragmentation, it could be a shim or even a fork of Kwin/Mutter. And suddenly we are back at Xorg mayhem, since it sets a dangerous pretense for other companies to do their thing.
Remember that one of the main goals of Wayland is to unify the driver space.
Btw Nvidia respects Vulcan specs, it seems Wayland could be willing to extend spec for that, but not Kwin or Mutter.
Again fragmentation fears.

Not sure is Nvidia doing this "deliberately", is their take on buffers actually better or are they just wrong. The Wayland mailing list has a lot of in depth talk about this.
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2016-March/027547.html

Not sure if this is a suitable place to ask, but is OpenBSD viable as a desktop OS for sensitive work? What are the supposed security benefits?

There has to be an easier way to extract the file name from its absolute (or relative) path, right?

#!/bin/bash

# if string contains slashes, extract substring after last slash
slashes=$(echo "$1" | grep "/")
echo "$slashes"
if [ "$slashes" = "" ]; then
echo "$1"
else
echo `expr match "$1" '.*/\(/*.*\)'`
fi

dirname and basename?

Why would you install memeOS on your perfectly good Mac?

OpenBSD is more timesink than Gentoo

Also, the moment you start using ports, all those security assurance goes out the window. Apart from ports BSD has no native softwares

Wait, you want to run Linux from a USB stick, instead of installing to the disk, correct?
Because I'm confused when you said you _installed_ Xubuntu, where did you install it?

Also your laptop is most def UEFI, there is no BIOS, well emulation but no BIOS.
So there should be EFI system partition, where the payloads reside.

man basename

Well yes, but that depends on your "work".
Checkout QubesOS, for a Linux based secure workspace(s) approach.

>OpenBSD is more timesink than Gentoo
In what sense, user?

- use printf over echo
- use $() over ``

# if string contains slashes, extract substring after last slash
${string##*/}

Not him, but drivers and configs.

Yes, that's way better. Thanks.

I live with a bunch of completely tech inept fucktard roommates. Our router/modem is a fucking piece of shit and we can do nothing about it.

The modem chokes on network traffic and doesn't want to connect more than 5-6 devices. So if my homeserver is running, my phone won't connect. If my phone connects, the PC won't. On top of that there's a tablet and a printer.

Tell me how I can fry the router. (My ubuntu server is now connected to it)

>tfw like Fedora but it has nopackages

Not even close.

>he doesn't use debian

OpenBSD literally has no non-free drivers, configuring x-org comes later.

Think about a freetard distro with less softwares

Muh AUR

random code from the internet != packages

Yes, they are git compile scripts.

>we can do nothing about it.
>how I can fry the router.
These sentences are mutually exclusive.

Why can't you just buy a new router?
Why can't you just prop open the router and pry a part loose?
Why can't you drink enough booze and vomit over the router?

Your lack of imagination solving this problem is the issue, not your roommates or the router.

Because I'm a nice guy.
The deadpan simplest solution is to buy a new router that can handle your traffic and _bridge_ it with the old one, thus removing the routing load. The old one has to deal with _one_ stream and I'm sure it can handle that.

Eh?

>Why can't you just buy a new router?
Room mates are indifferent. If I even buy one, bridged connection is not supported.

>Why can't you just prop open the router and pry a part loose?
Looks just fine and it's a brand new modem. A chink modem that the ISP gave us.

>Why can't you drink enough booze and vomit over the router?
If I do hardware damage I will have to pay for the damage

I already decided to choke the living shit out of the router

What's with these underscores?

Anyone here tried Alpine?

You must be new to the internet.

Do you want me to tell what a fucking piece of shit hipster distros end up being like?

the pleb way to "imply"

>imply
No it means quoting

Well that answers this Though there is a high change you can INTRUDE in it and make your bitch.
Can I have the model?

Btw call ISP and complain about your situation, ask for newer replacement.

Hipster distro?

just use quotes then, no need for ___the _____new_____ special snowflake___ shit

It's not actually new

It's gay

I don't want to spoonfeed retards, but it's a way to signify underlining.
_Some text_ is Sฬฒoฬฒmฬฒeฬฒ ฬฒtฬฒeฬฒxฬฒtฬฒ
and some text viewers will display it that way.

Sure

Enjoy the cringe
smb.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/Support/Files/Sagem F3864 Datasheet.pdf

That's wrong, underscores have always been used to denote bold letters, much like *this* means cursive words.
Fucking kiddos on the internet nowadays. I bet you think these things
>
are literally called meme arrows.

*bold*
_italic_
-Strikethrough-

FTFY

That's wrong, > is the logo of lo/g/os, Cred Forums's distro.

>using the distro with a caret logo

Well there is that, then there is a long history of using underscores for emphasis, like _really_ long.
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/underscore

It started when underlining a word was invented, then we come to the modern typesetting age and it corrupted to word format, since typewriters couldn't insert actual underscores easily.

History of humanity is a complex thing and it's not shameful to know such trivial things.

I think it was dependent on where you used it, too. Some chat rooms would render _this_ as bold and *this* as italic, and others did it the other way around.
I do know that asterisks were used to signify actions *teleports behind u* and underscores (and sometimes asterisks, but that gets confusing) for _emphasis_.

I have a question about _GNU/-Linux-_, which distro is the *best* distro?

arch

Whats wrong?

The one I'm using

He asked for the best distro, not the worst, user

Well first, it has DMZ, you can just put the new router in there.
So no need for "pure" bridging support.

Can you login as admin on the device?

i know this is a linux thread but where do i find a win 7 key?

I bought a laptop and it has win 10 on it and i dont want to masturbate with a botnet

Who liquorix here?

Bottom left next to Ctrl

Is there a distro worse than Arch?

Win7 is also botnet user.

You think w7 is not botnet?

Come to the free side.

n1 m8

Only mangina.

win 7 is a botnet

im not trolling i dont want gubmint to know what i jerk off to

daz loader

Vanilla Debian

>executing unknown code that fucks with your system settings on your machine made by literally who
get out normalfag

>im not trolling i dont want gubmint to know what i jerk off to
Then use a entirely free software stack. I suggest Debian stable or Fedora.

It's hard but yes, there's Linux Mint.
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

>>executing unknown code that fucks with your system settings on your machine made by literally who
Isn't that Windows 7?

For the trouble of introducing code that dangerous you might as well just use Loonix.

I wanted something that just werks for my school laptop, so I put Xubuntu on it. But the boot time is annoyingly slow.

I have Debian on my Desktop so I was thinking of Arch, is Arch stable enough to use as a daily driver for school?

Arch is a meme user.

>But the boot time is annoyingly slow.
Strange, it should not be. Did you press esc at the splash screen to check for any errors?

Arch is about as stable as its retard developers or its user's handling of the AUR.

99 times out of 100 you'll be fine. Your call as to whether that's "stable" or not.

Yeah nothing out of the ordinary. I did a systemd analyze blame and noticed apt daily services take 28s.

dmesg shows something going on with apparmor.

As long as I backup my stuff I'll be fine. 99/100 is good enough I suppose.

do pacaur and yaourt store downloaded packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg or do they have their own directory?

I'm trying to find all windows XP and 7 fonts but i can't seem to find them, anyone know where i can?

windows xp and 7

why are you doing this to me

thepiratebay.se

0 seeders.

Any file manager recommendations?

at least in windows everything works how it was supposed to, while in linux you have to go to adventures in stack overflow from time to time.

>in windows everything works

(You)

none, use the terminal

>while in linux you have to go to adventures in stack overflow from time to time.

at least in loonix you can fix obscure issues, on windows it either works or it doesn't as there's no troubleshooting obscure errors as you spend hours running into gems such as "nvm fixed" and "have you tried turning it off and on again" "check your antivirus" "have you cleaned your cookies"

caja pcmanfm spacefm
How do you remove groups in fedora? Everytime I try to yum remove group it says the group is not installed.

Have you ever tried to manage your 15000 picture collection through the terminal? Would not recommend

I installed elementary yesterday and used it all of today. I thought I would hate it, but I don't.

What are the reasons I'm supposed to dislike this again?

PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE

>literally ubuntu with a different desktop environment, again
You people need Debian GNU/Linux in your lives

Normally I use a custom openbox setup, but this was nice as a "just werks" distro. Ubuntu gave me some weird issues with 16.04 when I tried it, but this really did just work.

>have external hdd
>works fine on gentoo laptop
>had ubuntu on desktop
>hdd wouldn't even show up in /dev/
>install gentoo on desktop
>it shows up in /dev/
explain

How does Ubuntu Gnome performance match that of Unity? Slower? Faster? About the same?

They're both slow as molasses

I'm on an Intel Core i7 processor with 16 gigabytes of RAM and a Solid State Drive so nothing is really slow for me.

What are you asking for then? Use which you prefer.

>About the same
t-thanks.. y-you too.

kys

w-why?

Why not?

Y-y-you f-first...

why is my debian is slower than my mint or ubuntu

hey /flt/ can you give me advice on fixing my gtk problem? It won't stay thick (window thickness). Basically it won't highlight options either like in the gnome tweak tool.

I feel like a faggot for using screenfetch, forgot I had scrot

What is window thickness?

Garbage drivers.

How do I get rid of screen tearing on Debian? I've got an old GeForce 9800 GT with legacy drivers.

Compton

Use Arch and learn how Linux really works.

install gentoo

>GeForce 9800
So you did install the legacy drivers either from backports or tesing/sid and it didn't improve anything?

I don't know what you're talking about, I downloaded via apt-get and I immediately noticed it did improve performance, but I still get screen tearing.

Arch is probably harder than Debian, so I guess not.

prove it fag

First I thought [0]this comment was satire, but then I looked up the [1]program.

>100$ for a terminal emulator (1 year subscription)

Who would buy this shit? Why?

[0]reddit.com/r/linux/comments/533rcs/looking_for_a_terminal_emulator/d7pwuyj
[1]vandyke.com/products/securecrt/

It's not proprietary, retard
Debian

What distro do you think I should use as someone who is not super familiar with linux. I only have experience with mint (with cinnamon desktop). Is there any reason to change? Preferably I'd like to rice the shit out of it but I'm not that informed on everything.

Manjaro Cinnamon

Are there any terminal spotify players?

should I use KDE or xfce?

Openbox

KDE

XFCE is comfy and less bloated.

If I google "spotify cli" there's multiple of them.

please help me I have no idea how to do this

gnome-terminal sometimes just refuses to open and the only fix is to log out and log back in or use a different terminal emulator.

any way to figure out why it isn't working?.

Open a different terminal emulator and start GNOME terminal from it. THere should be some output telling you why it's not starting.

What can cause i3status to give error input in flex scanner failed

You start by reading it

When are you going to make your own distro /fglt/?

I tried installing debian today but I couldn't get the wifi to work. I think it said something about my wifi-card being non-free, how do I make my wifi-card free?

>I don't know what you're talking about

The legacy driver for your GeForce 9800 is only available if you do both of these things:
1 - Have non-free repos available (non-free should be in your /etc/apt/sources.list)
2 - Use either backports on Stable/Jessie, or run Testing/Sid

packages.debian.org/search?suite=default§ion=all&arch=any&searchon=all&keywords=geforce 9800

Everytime I boot Arch, I won't have Internet connection until I run dhcpcd. What did I miss? My controller is Intel Corp. Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 05) using kernel module e1000e.

systemctl enable dhcpcd

KDE

use the nonfree included iso
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

So Installed paprefs so my raspberry pi and Thinkpad T430 can share audio. But on my Arch thinkpad the network shit is greyed out.

Have you guys ran into this problem?

I feel retarded. Thanks, user.

>won't have Internet connection
>until I run dhcpcd

It's a mystery

Just use the Architect installer

By buying a new wifi card. Otherwise use the non-free wifi drivers

will i get the same thing if i install ubuntu mate then kde than straight kubuntu?

"Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Timeout was reached"

after googling some people said it was it was a problem with the locale, but they're getting a slightly different error and cant seem to run gnome terminal at all. i can run it but it just stops working after some time.

I had this problem and resolved it by running 'dpkg-reconfigure locales', reselecting my locale (even though it was unchanged) and rebooting.

Maybe the locale thing was unrelated because I only rebooted once. Seems like an annoying and significant issue.

No

Why would someone use or make a niche distribution and waste time replicating unnecessary work when you can just use on of the core distributions and tailor it to your needs?

define no

It won't be the same.
One has Ubuntu with KDE, the other has Ubuntu with MATE and KDE.
Also, possibly other changes between the distributions, but the above is already sufficient to say "no" so who cares.

logos

Debian

I gotta make a wifi hotspot from my server. It's connected to a wifi itself.

Any ideas?

Newbie Archfag here. I installed xorg group and awesome. I configured .xserverrc and .xinitrc in my unprivileged user folder. When I use xinit awesome runs correctly. I'm presented with the nifty wallpaper and a taskbar but I can't edit its config from its menu or open a terminal. What am I doing wrong?

Ok my vps is all setup and ready to go.

I have created an account without a homedir with no permissions except to the folder it needs.

Now what is the "correct" way to start my program?

su - USER "python3 server.py" in init.d ?

Thanks guys

>I can't edit its config from its menu or open a terminal
Option 1: Read the wiki
Option 2: Don't use AwesomeWM

Any manjaro users?
Why is this in pacman.conf?

SyncFirst = manjaro-system

I've stayed away, because the Arch guys don't seem to like to support derivative distros. It can become a nasty situation when you need to track down a pacman expert, and then the arch dudes find out you're not on pure arch... people get pissy about helping with manjaro.

Maybe post your xinitrc? I'm not on arch right now but my .xinitrc on FreeBSD can be as simple as:
>xterm &
>awesome
And shit seems to work fine.

>We are kinda related
Sweatingman.jpg

Also that line is pretty self explanatory. If there's a batch of updates that includes said package, it'll update it first and then re-run pacman -Su automatically.

>it'll update it first and then re-run pacman -Su automatically.
Ok, but why?

You haven't configured awesome yet?
Copy the rc.lua to ~/.config/awesome/
and edit its entry for terminal to your terminal emulator of choice

>people get pissy about helping with manjaro
Why?
I've arch, manjaro, debian and xubuntu. all installed on different machines.
Why does manjaro triggers arch users?
Stupid devs?
That can be said for any distro, debian are SJW, tails got compromised ,Linux mint is antisemitic and ubuntu steal from the community.

Can someone check this with me?
youtube.com/watch?v=C2yHESniocs
The video title uses the GB flag emoji, it renders correct with this
github.com/eosrei/EmojiOne-Color-Font
But only inside the web browser and the window title, the tab title fail to render it properly any ideas?

Ok, i managed to run it in tty with sudo, but it still doesnt appear on the bar itself.
Any ideas?

>doesn't work
>I know, I'll run it with sudo

That bitch has a disgusting face.

>>Cred Forums352092558
Which one of you is this

I first installed to the disk, then after it would not load I entered the live mode to look at all of the files in the partition to see what was there.

And yeah, UEFI...not BIOS. I knew that one. Fucking UEFI.

Stop blaming UEFI for your incompetence

Best file encryption tool?

What distro do you guys recommend for a media PC that will also be a home server? I'm thinking debian derivative for stability, but I'd also like some packages from this century so I'm torn. My current plan is Ubuntu MATE

And have massive win.

Well i cannot force i3 to run status_command on sudo

Can anyone help me fix a kernel panic on arch?

Errors might help.
Use a different kernel version.

I just sudo pacman -Syu and then rebooted because my USB thumb drive wouldn't show up in thunar suddenly.

What did you update?
Boot in to the previous kernel, what happens?

Your CPU is fucked user.

>pacman -Syu
>breaks
the arch linux experience

I wouldn't be so mad if literally the same thing didn't happen 2 years ago
I should have made the vacation from bleeding edge forever and not just a year

lmgtfy.com/?q=no working init found

>page 9

there: