Can anyone explain the chromium meme? Is it better than firefox? Isn't it just a botnet?

Can anyone explain the chromium meme? Is it better than firefox? Isn't it just a botnet?

Other urls found in this thread:

chrome-extension-downloader.com
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium/releases
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not a botnet if you use ungoogled chromium or iridium.

Or even less botnet if you run gentoo and apply both patch sets.

It's just "chrome but open source"
Which for some reason makes it run slower so that take as you will.

You're using the internet. You're already part of the botnet whether you like it or not. Might as well just use Canary/Nightly for the convenient updater.

Extensions don't seem to work on the ungoogled chromium build

>Not a botnet if you use ungoogled chromium or iridium.
Ahahahahah. No.
They'll still sneak in proprietary code and make it download binary blobs.

What's a stable browser that supports 4chanX that won't spy on me?

chromium installed from any linux distros repositories does not have proprietary blobs

BINARY BLOBS
I
N
A
R
Y

B
L
O
B
S

How do I install addons on de-googled chromium version? Chrome store doesn't work

Ser image. Its a good browser. Depends on your needs.

They work normally here. What extensions are you trying to install?

Ungoogled-chromium blocks any attempt to connect to Google through the settings. It only connects to Google by user input (ie accessing Google's website). Stop spreading lies, no foss Chromium fork ever downloaded Google blobs.

Get the extension file and drag it to Chromium's Extensions page.

Sorry for a dumb question, but how do you get the extension file?

>makes it run slower
as a chrome user, I cant reproduce this on chromium they are about the same speed wise.

My fret is the lack of proprietary plugin support for things like Adobe Flash and PDF reader.

honestly direct corporate support == better

Palemoon.

>flash
Why wouldn't installing pepperflash yourself work?

I have both pepperflash and internal PDF viewer on chromium

Holy shit ungoogled chromium is 2 entire releases behind Chromium and Canary.

Aren't those 2 updates useless?

You can either get from the distributors (EFF site for HTTPS Everywhere, Gorhill's github for uBlock Origin/uMatrix, etc.) or you can use this site to fetch the extension from Webstore:
chrome-extension-downloader.com

Yes. One of them officially brings material design to some parts of Chrome(ium). You can activate it on other versions with a flag.

Thank you, user

Is there an ungoogled chromium for Linux ?

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium/releases

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909

It's for people who acknowledge that chrome is the best browser but also who delude themselves that they avoid botnet by changing browser while in reality botnet is too big to kill and getting even bigger. You need to refuse sending or receiving mails from botnet, you need to refuse a lot of infrastructure that google maintains.

>bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909

>Fixed in versions chromium-browser/43.0.2357.81-1, chromium-browser/44.0.2403.89-1~deb8u1

Chromium and Chrome are not different at all except that Chrome contains nonfree components like Adobe Flash which is why Chrome isn't open source. Both are only botnets if you sign in

But can the extensions self update then? Will I have to do this every time an update for the extensions comes out?

It isn't on Gentoo tough. On Gentoo iridium and ungoogled are just flags for chromium. So, it's never behind the release.

>>Fixed
Sure, but it did still happen. It should not have happened in the first place. How can you trust Chromium after this? You can't.

On Debian Stable Chromium is actually very good and is updated constantly

And, unlike Chrome on fucking Windows, Chromium on Debian isn't a memory hog and doesn't tax the cpu

I still prefer Firefox but Chromium on Debian is worth to have installed and I trust Debian

You don't want self updating extensions.

Firefox is shit lmao

I wonder how would ram comparison look like though

just use epic privacy browser

It's chrome with some slight differences (but it still has google.botnet in it)

Chrome 1450
Firefox 890

big fucking deal.. RAM is cheaper than OP's sister

No, they can't. You can't automatically update extensions on ungoogled-chromium.

Whether updating them yourself is a good or a bad thing is up to you.

>Person A killed Person B but then apologized. All is okay, Sergei!

>no treestyletabs - not relevant

Is there a botnet in either chrome or chromium if you don't use cloud sync/ sign in?

Dev mistakes happen, I'd be more worried about debians package maintainers actually testing shit before throwing it up

It's faster than Firefox if your PC is too shit to run Firefox well. Apart from that, it's missing much of the customization that Firefox has. For example, it recently removed the ability to use backspace to go back, and unlike a sensible thing where they would make it an option, it's just gone. The only way to get it back is through a hacky extension that injects javascript into every page to implement it.

The botnet is a meme. Unlike Chrome you can turn off the tracking stuff in Chromium. The blob thing is generally a non issue unless you have a shitfit about any code you haven't reviewed running on your system, in which case you should have javascript fully disabled, breaking most sites including Cred Forums.

Wrong, chrome has proprietary google code like their updater, voice, and pepperflash which is their flash implementation.

>It's faster than Firefox if your PC is too shit to run Firefox well.
It run's shit either way as I have just proven here (Skylake Xeon, 16GB RAM, PCI-E SSD):

Chromium is a piece of unfinished shit.

Now try with a reasonable use case.

I won't deny that Firefox is slower, but on a decent system the difference is negligible unless you ask it do do stupid shit like open 47 tabs at once. It's a tradeoff -- lose a small amount of speed to gain better addons and more customizability.

By your logic, Lynx is even better than Chrome. Sure it has less functionality, but damn is it fast when it comes to launching large numbers of instances in parallel.

>Now try with a reasonable use case.
That is a reasonable use case. I got many folders, containing 10+ links which I open all at once. And Firefox is always WAY slower than Chrome when opening multiple links. I opened 40 links because it shows how shitty FF handles multiple tabs. It's getting incredibly ridiculous how you're trying to talk yourself out of this. You're like one of those drug addicts who don't want to admit that they're junkies.

too much time/work I'm too lazy and I dont care about "The botnet"

>internal PDF viewer on chromium
so does chrome, so why not use chrome?

binary blobs are like atm machines

All those are optional.

>It's getting incredibly ridiculous how you're trying to talk yourself out of this.
No. I see pros and cons of both. Firefox is objectively slower, but has more options to make it nicer to use (not autocompleting more words onto the end of your searches unless you catch it and hit backspace, with no way to disable it for example). Chrom{e,ium} are faster but if you don't like it set up how Google likes it, too fucking bad.

Therefore I use mostly Firefox on my i7 that can handle it well for my use case. But I use mostly Chromium on my low powered netbook that Firefox lags like a bitch on.

>iridium
Firefox is too damn slow. I really don't understand it. I ran it on a Pentium 4 fine back in 2008, but I can't run it on a 2GHz Sandy Bridge without hella lag, wtf.

Iridium doesn't sound like it corrects the things that annoy me about Chrome/Chromium. I actually rather like Chrome's default behavior of giving search suggestions in normal mode but turning it off for privacy reasons in Incognito. My gripes are with lack of configurability. While this default behavior is what I want, I still think letting the user turn it on or off like Firefox does would be a plus. Theming is very limited. And the devs have shown that they are perfectly happy to yank a feature that practically every other browser supports and countless users assume will be there, like backspace to go back.

i use chromium, it is a decent browser, i also been messing around with QupZilla which seems fairly good too

If you don't have enough ram to run Chrome...

...then you should get more ram

I was looking it up, I wasn't trying to say anything about it.

Or get firefox and be fine

Firefox has weird rendering issues on my machine. Chromium does not.