Is Kali a smart choice for a Linux beginner...

Is Kali a smart choice for a Linux beginner? A shop clerk just reccommended me Kali and I am thinking of giving it a shot. I never used Linux before, but I am advanced Windows and Android user and I am willing to join the masterrace.

>I never used Linux

Kali isn't a beginner distro. It's just debian/ubuntu with pentesting packages preinstalled. It's not really meant to be used as a daily driver. *buntus, debian or mint would be better for you especially if you are a beginner.

This

Absolutely not. Kali is a special purpose distribution which is only useful for penetration testing.
For general use, I'd recommend Debian or Fedora.
Ubuntu if you can put up with some quirks for additional ease of use.
Do not use Mint or other hobbyist projects and don't let yourself get talked into Arch, Gentoo, Slackware or other distributions for advanced users until you actually are an advanced user.

Whoever told you to use Kali doesn't know shit about Linux. If you're just starting, try out Ubuntu or one of its derivatives (xubuntu, kubuntu). I recommend xubuntu.

I've done some first looks on Ubuntu and it's fugly. It reminds me of Windows too much.

you can make it look more professional hacker if that's the look you're going for OP.

What's so bad about those shoes.

How?
Nothing at all

Mint

install

fucking

gentoo

kali is for script kiddies. install arch or, if you're lazy/stupid, debian.

Use debian, the installer lets you choose which DE you want so you can have an install which looks like how you want it to.

w2c?

For absolute piss easy beginners Loonix, do Xubuntu or Debian.

If you want something a little harder, Arch or Gentoo.

If you're not a heretic, TempleOS

you can install many DEs and themes at the same time

this.

I cannot install Gentoo. I lack patience and/or skills for it. It sounds really neat, though...

>kali is for script kiddies. install arch
Fucking kek

I would assume one of the popular ones would be easiest, so ubuntu or mynt?

he just wanted to look like a hacker

Someone said they replaces their OSX with mint and liked it , so it must be the same or better than OSX

Mint, Debian, Ubuntu according to distrowatch
I did Mint, liked it had most codecs/drivers built in seems like ubuntu didn't so you could use it in more countries. Both of them reminded me of my last captcha.

Good advice actually, Arch forces you to learn how your operating system works, because the people in the help forums are just unhelpful assholes, so you basically have no choice but to read the wiki and proper documentation.

Meanwhile Kali is almost exclusively used by 17-year-olds who think they're in Anonymous and still post pictures of the Guy Fawkes mask unironically.

Then do Xubuntu or Debian. Debian lets you pick what Desktop Environment (DE) you want to use during setup, Xubuntu comes with XFCE preinstalled

Ubuntu was the first one I used.

It was a pleasant change from Windows, but after a while the bugs will start to show.

Mint was a little better with that, but that might have to do with the DE's. My Ubuntu was just the standard Unity desktop, which might account for at least some of the bugs. My Mint came with the KDE 4 desktop, which was actually pretty fucking stable compared to that unusable garbage KDE 5 Plasma.

Just like Arch is used exclusively by 25yo fedora-wearing virgin autists who jack off to mlp 24/7 :^)

Trust me, I am anything but hacker.

Arch is not that hard, you literally just follow the guide.

Anime, not mlp, get it right jackass

or your job has you use kali/meta

there are people who actually do security for a living

I use Kali in my job.

good argument. enjoy your 1337 H4XX0R status symbol OS

>being too stupid to install pre-made pen tools yourself as needed

why doesn't your company hire someone who is actually smart?

No you don't.

Use Debian, Arch, or Gentoo, then. Unless you actually want to do pentesting. Then, you may want to install both Kali and another distro of your choice to be a daily driver.

Install Mint, add the openbox and tintwizard packages from synaptic and install chrome or whatever fucking browser you use.

I build virtual KVM terminals with a basic software config like that when I need to do a lot of GUI configuration for a virtual server and don't want to waste a lot of resources. They are completely usable with two virtual cores, 5GB disk, 128MB of ram

I lold we get our tools from the developers

Ok.

Fucking NEETs think that you should make yourself harder for no reason.

Why use Kali if you are using custom tools?

And what exactly is your expertise? Typing? Using pre-made tools and GUIs? Sounds really hard...

The point isn't to make your life harder for no reason. I'm simply pointing out that you apparently must get a shitty salary or be overpaid if you don't have any actual skills

>Is Kali a smart choice for a Linux beginner?
Rev up those memes!

Kek archniggers are just as dumb as kali kids

GUI application is going to use more resources making it easier to be detected. You have no idea what you are talking about

so your expertise is CLI? wow very impressive

No on Kali. Its not for beginners, its preconfigured for pentesting, no no no no.

But I'm gonna be the weirdo to recommend Fedora. This is mostly because of Red Hat, which means there's a lot of documentation for it (Actually, its all for RHEL, but ehhhh).

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

The answer always depends on how motivated you are. My first intro to Linux was Backtrack. Shit was like magic and I never used a non-linux OS ever again.You can learn a whole lot about basic,Linux usage from one of these skiddy distros if they provide you with interesting challenges.

>I am an advanced Windows and Android user

So...you don't know what distro you want...but you want to look like a hacker...

My honest advice is just to try hacking the Gibson. it's so sick.

>A shop clerk just reccommended me Kali
Did he look like >pic related?