/ASG/ - Aerospace General

This thread is about the appreciation aeronautical and astronautical engineering.

No previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pIna_2XJMw0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_Beluga
nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/aircraft/GlobalHawk/index.html
nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/multimedia/imagegallery/Global_Hawk/ED13-0399-06.html
vine.co/u/1153131656367001600
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>general
Fuck off cancer.

Bump 4 this
German aircraft are the pinnacle of ww2 aircraft

The Germans also had the FIRST jet engine ever

Don't forget gyroscopic navigation systems and autopilot

Cred Forums is pretty much a forum now. No more unexpectedness, just bland generalfaggotry amongst normalfags.

Didn't the brits have the first engine? I know the germans built the first jet plane.

>General

Technically yes but it wasn't reliable enough to put on aircraft so the Germans win in that regard
Go away

you cant make me

ships are better

I have some 7.62s that say I can

>pinnacle of ww2 aircraft
>completely outclassed by the end of the war

no

Max O'hain built the first jet engine to power an aircraft for heinkel. Whittle was a little while later.

However there was a lot of work done on jet engines before either of them dipped their toes into jets.

Ultimately the british/american jets were better designs for a variety of reasons though.

>out classed lol no
Out numbered more like ir

No, outclassed in terms of every aspect of performance

Speed, range, climb, ect.

The germans simply didn't have the industrial capacity and manpower to keep up in the engine game. The Jumo 222 was a massive failure and since they pretty much pinned all their hopes on that powerplant, they were lacking by the end of the war.

Its pretty telling that the two major fighter planes of Germany were both designed before the war, with engines also designed before the war.

Japan had the same issues but worse.

you're arguing with a literal retard don't bother

The history channel has done one hell of a number on a whole generation of naziboos

Next we'll see some idiot claiming that the hortens invented stealth

Just got in aero major what are my hopes for a job?

The airframes of 1009 and 190 were pre war for the most part but the engines were not. The ta 152 and p51 had almost the same top speed. It was a interceptor like most late war aircraft so range was not a priority and it claimed faster
Shut up
It didn't but had stealth characteristics

And also better armament

>The airframes of 1009 and 190 were pre war for the most part but the engines were not.

Yes they were

The Jumo 213 was a 211 with a pressurized cooling system and some other refinements to let it run at a higher rpm.

The DB605 was a bored out 601.

>The ta 152 and p51 had almost the same top speed.

When the 152 was running water menthol injection. And even then it only matched the D variant of the 51. The H was faster by quite a bit, as were the late mark 47s.

>it was an interceptor like most late war aircraft

You mean like most german fighters.

>It didn't but had stealth characteristics

Accidentally, and that was purely by virtue of its flying wing design and wooden construction. By that same logic the Northrop N-1M was a plane with stealthy characteristics. And so were most assault gliders.

>And also better armament

Very debatable issue

Heavy caliber guns are great for shooting down bombers, but their low velocity makes gunnery during maneuvers difficult. Add to that mixing in different calibers and you have a nightmare of convergence issues.

The 50s used were more than adequate for shooting down fighters, which is what the US fighters were doing since the Germans had virtually no bomber force to speak of late war, and what they did have was grounded. A high rate of fire, high muzzle velocity and no convergence issues are good for dog fighting.

I work for CAE
We build aerospace simulators, both civil and military

c-can I join in?

yes

Are you guys using a physically based system or is it all look up tables, or whatever its called, ala fsx?

Given the German pilots flew, if they had any discipline the heavy caliber guns would devastating damage to any airframe with a few well-placed shots. But then again when you run the fist of dying don't always think straight.

Sure. Please tell us more about you're work.

There were so menu changes to the engines its hard to call them just an upgraded version's

Not sure what you mean, but we make these.

>the usa literally used tv controlled drones against the japs
>the usa has be doing drone warfare for more than 70 years

>Given the German pilots flew, if they had any discipline the heavy caliber guns would devastating damage to any airframe with a few well-placed shots.

Given that the german pilots late war were mostly hitler junger with maybe a dozen flight hours under their belt before going into combat, they didn't exactly have the skills to be dealing with mixed caliber fall off and mellon ball 30mm.

>There were so menu changes to the engines its hard to call them just an upgraded version's

No, thats pretty much what they were. Engines derived from pre-war designs. Just like how the Russians mainstay was essentially a spiced up hispano suiza.

All the brand new engine projects, ie clean sheet designs, the germans tried failed even though they invested a shitload of time and manpower into them.

The US managed to create several clean sheet designs during the war that actually saw service, as did the british.

I meant the software of the flight sim itself, which is what I thought you meant.

I'd like to get some time in one of those things though. I know that there are some companies that let civilians rent out time on them, but it cost an arm and a leg. So I just settle for modding my joystick to be full throw.

When you aren't fighting a war on two fronts and are across a sea that no enemy bomber could cross it you would think they could but out more engines. But I still think you can't call them the same engines when their power output is so much better.

Also please explain that image

>But I still think you can't call them the same engines when their power output is so much better.

Guess what? Power output of engines radically increased during the war as higher octane fuels and compression ratios were introduced.

A DB605 is literally a 601 with increased displacement. A 213 is literally a 211 with a pressurized cooling system. Mechanically they are pretty much the same.

One of many advanced projects the US studied during WW2.

The US had far more engineering manpower than any other nation, and as a consequence it also designed/studied far more aircraft than any nation too.

The germans were such aeronautical geniuses that they even developed a piloted version of the V1 rocket. Fly at target, bail out.
However testing revealed it's hard to bail out when you're being sucked into a jet intake.

They killed that project. Adolf was absolutely apposed to it.
Honestly the Germans had some of the best and coolest experimental projects. I really want to know how they got the ho229 to fly

EFF THIURTY FAHVE

>I really want to know how they got the ho229 to fly

by designing a flying wing, same as everyone else who made flying wings from the 20s onward

But how did they keep it from having major side slip. Did the pilots correct for it themselves?

>this_kills_the_concorde.jpg

drag ailerons or spoilers or something similar

northrop came up with a damping mechanism for the xb-35

They had little spoilers above and below the wing
>Northrop came up with a dampening mechanism.
So guessing the German test pilots corrected it them self.

Zeljava nuclear shelter for aircraft, near Bihac, Bosnia.

>So guessing the German test pilots corrected it them self.

yeah, but at low speed it isnt that bad

the horten jet wing that flew was a subscale demonstrator, with less powerful engines and it crashed during one of its few powered flights. so who knows how it would have worked out during high speed combat

it worked well enough for the slow speed gliders the hortens made though

early mig 21 sexiest mig 21

This is how Zeljava looks today.

An attempt was made to demolish everything with 52 tons of TNT, because an argument could not be solved who's property zeljava was after the fall of Yugoslavija.

Zeljava was designed with nuclear response in mind. After a detonation, an undamaged aircraft could be depoloyed instatntly and hunt the bomber down. The shelter was designed to withstand a 20kT explosion.

Picture shows an attempt to demolish a nuclear-proof underground hangar with TNT. The entrance shape is very specific for aircraft. 50% of the door is still intact after the TNT treatment.

>asg
>no modern aircraft

kys

This shows some of the entrances into the underground hangars.

Tunnel layout of Zeljava.

This project cost the state over 4 billion dollars.

WEW

The Heinkel 280 was the first jet fighter, everything Heinkel did was better than Messerschmitt, Germany basically lost the war because they gave every contract to Messerschmitt

3D render of the tunnels

This was all build in the late 70, early 80.

>An attempt was made to demolish everything with 52 tons of TNT, because an argument could not be solved who's property zeljava was after the fall of Yugoslavija.
sounds like murican bullshit. I mean, what kind of retard would want to destroy this? even more, why PAY to destroy this, if there is a conflict on its ownership?

The P-51 was designed by a German, Edgar Schmued who was born and educated in Germany

not quite, they had the first operational jet aircraft

microsoft is gay

x-plane or flightgear is good

>It's a "hurr durr crash was the thing that killed the concord" episode

Others were working on jet engines but they were not near reliable so the Germans had the first operational jet engine

theres literally a board for planes newfag

>flightgear
My man

Aircraft are technology related

>/k/
>serious discussion of military aircaft
kill yourself

Aero graduate here
Depends very much on which country you study in, but generally pretty good

It's true. Yugoslavija is really fucked up. Rememeber: We are the nation that fought a pointless war for 4 years.

>aerospace engineering
More like data collection engineering

lolno

A detailed map of Zeljava, for those who are interested.

>polish aircraft design
>worlds only jet powered biplane

Literally a crop duster

The heinkel 178 was the first jet aircraft to fly under its own power

Heinkel funded this in part because he wanted to merge with hirth, and engine manufacturer

Messerschmitt actually had some pretty good ideas that the leadership ignored. He wanted to disperse the aircraft factories as soon as the war started. He also wanted to replace the 109 with the 209, which was designed to be easier to make and use fewer raw materials as he recognize early that this would be an issue for germany in a prolonged war.

But the guy took his fetish for reducing wetted area too far.

The Germans mistakes in jet engine development went further than relegating heinkel to bomber production though.

Question. since all jets nowadays are fly by wire would going back to non fly by wire give us advantages since it gives us absolute control ?

No. Jets are fly by wire because they performance envelope is so goddamned high that if a pilot were to go full stick he'd pass out immediately, and modern jets are designed to be inherently unstable and can only be controlled by a computer that interprets control input and adjusts surfaces accordingly. A plane like the F-22 would be nearly impossible to fly competently without a flight control system.

>Aeroplane Thread
>No British Aircraft posted

Let's fix that!

The f16 and su27 is another example

Not all jets are fly-by-wire.

And most jets that are can have it disabled in an emergency, like the F-16 for example. You wont be able to control the plane at the edge of its flight envelope if you do, stick to slow banks and you'll be fine.

iirc even the F-117 was flown without the fly-by-wire engaged because of some issue. The pilot said it was exhausting but not impossible, obviously he wasnt maneuvering though.

Sexy Planes, GO!

lol no. f-117 would spin out of control the moment you switch off the flight computer

The only good looking plane from the V series bombers

>not posting the goddess of fighter jets

Gods plane

>Not posting The One.

Hustlers are sexy

if the russians didnt ben the front og their aircraft they would be god tier.

Personally getting the F-35 myself. I don't care what the haters say. 1 engine is enough

Idiot

i think its too heavy. same size as f16 but like double the weight

also, they expect it to replace the A-10... gl w that

They did do testing that involved shutting off parts of the flight computer.

Can't find the section of another book I have that goes into a bit more detail about it at the moment. That one had the pilot describing what things were like with some of the axis turned off.

that's because of it's ability to deliver tactical munitions in a tight space without ever even coming into radar, visual, or even auditory contact

the fear wont be from the bvvvvvvft but from the sudden explosions out of thin air

weighs more because it does more

>Didn't the brits have the first engine?
The idea of a turbine engine had been around so long without a successful design that Whittle had difficulty getting backing. By the time he got Gloster interested Messerschit had Junkers Jumo engines.
Side note: The ME-262 was originally a tail-dragger but the jet thrust damaged the runways so they redesigned it with a tricycle undercarriage.

>German aircraft are the pinnacle of ww2 aircraft
But they had no range. Perfect for home protecton but they had no over-target endurance.

>the heavy caliber guns would devastating damage to any airframe with a few well-placed shots.
But their Hispano-Suiza cannons had cropped barrels which meant reduced muzzle velocity.
Their shells were more likely to explode on contact with the bomber's skin than to penetrate.

>>this_kills_the_concorde.jpg
It was the falling-to-bits US airliner* strewing bits and pieces on the runway that killed the Concorde.
*Continental DC-10

O'hain, who developed the jet engine in germany later said that he had no idea why he was granted a patent on his design when there was another near identical french patent from 1920 or so. Evidently the german patent office didnt bother to check french patents.

>go with a double delta for muh cruise performance
>plane cant handle an engine out scenario on takeoff

Boeing had the right idea with their SST

>plane cant handle an engine out scenario on takeoff

>ruptured fuel tank leading to the wing catching on fire

hardly an 'engine out'

The Yak-3 was the best looking fighter of WW2 and simply the best fighter. The russians called her beauty, and she was.

Yeah, but the three remaining didn't have enough thrust too do a go around.

The radial version was one of the best maneuvering aircraft of the war.

Also that engine in the yak-3 is a descendant of the hispano suiza 12y, which powered this cute as a button fighter

>The radial version was one of the best maneuvering aircraft of the war.
there was no radial version of the Yak during the war, you mean the La-5

Yes there was

Both the yak-7 and yak-3 were fitted with M-82 radials

Yak-3u flew just after the end of the war in europe, but before japan fell

pic related

Specifically it was build in January 1945 with state trials running from April 29 through September 25.

Pic related is the earlier radial on a yak-7 in 1942

the most advanced plane of wwII. period!

How so?

no

>made of wood
>no armor
>1/3 the hp of american fighters

fuckin beautiful

just posting my wallpapers

>faster than american fighters
>2000 mile range
>better climb
>better turning rate
>more powerful guns

damn. i think i stopped going to /wg/ after they implemented capatchas. i missed dumping wallpapers

well look at that, i have about half of those.
thanks

>masters in aerospace engineering
>don't even know how to fold a paper plane
who /beyond stupid/ here?

Post more German aircraft

i think i have 1 more

the american planes were so much better.
i want a tank...that flies
go build me that!

What purpose do the giant antennas on the ground crew serve?

apparently i have lost all my strange NASA experimental jets.

lmao that looks like my erect penis when the glans is showing off from the foreskin XD

Most likely radio or radar

Literally wave riding

those tiny humans.

how big can we build a plane before it collapses on itself.

>*brake screeching noise*

>'sup faggots

badass
saved!

>they'll never see me now!

only 2 wings lmao

notevenmyfinalform.jpg

how does this even fly?

I thought I'd post some SU-35

youtube.com/watch?v=pIna_2XJMw0

Imagine them using that for g-training. You could play a sport inside of it.

i think its a transport plane to transport other planes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_Beluga

i think i ran out of the crazy looking planes.

Did not know NASA had a GH. Wonder what they use it for.

probably to test it for the military.
shit if i know.
nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/aircraft/GlobalHawk/index.html

nasa.gov
i might end up in a nasa wormhole for the next 2hrs.

nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/multimedia/imagegallery/Global_Hawk/ED13-0399-06.html

for anyone else interested in nasa vids

vine.co/u/1153131656367001600

NASA is lit AF man.

Mein gott I would've wanted to fly that device and get paid to do so.

Now I'm stuck flying some French piece of...

I like boats
but I like planes better

FW-190 are so sexy

It wasnt made of wood

This was true for like, a couple months when it went up against buffalos. Wildcat was pretty much equal except in lower speed maneuverability, hellcat outclassed it.

check out the naca technical reports server for a real time killer, and that pure undistilled information

have some more rare photos. This is the fw-187 in norway

Cred Forums has always been a forum, imageboards are a type of forum. You should educate yourself and stop thinking that this is a secret cool place.

posting best jet ever
Russia and china literally can't compete.

Seems the US can't compete too because they're not produced anymore and barely fly because the stealth coat costs the same as a MIG -21 per flight...

>Yeah, but the three remaining didn't have enough thrust too do a go around.

Yes they do, it was the other shit that was going down that caused it to crash.

You'd be fucking retarded to think that airliners can't handle a single engine failure, even ones designed back in the 60s.

Is this thread just one guy dumping airplanes?