Hard drive docks or cables

Are there any decent hard drive docks or bays or drive kits out there?

All the dual bay ones on Amazon, upon closer inspection, are overpriced and faulty garbage, if the critical reviews are anything to go by. I've got a Sabrent one that I've had for like two years that likes to randomly disconnect or die, regardless of the state of the drive, and now that I'm in need of a second one for HDD cloning, I'd like to just grab two of something that isn't that piece of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

sharkoon.com/category/storage-solutions/docking-stations.aspx
amzn.com/B00FDLCTQO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>dock
No. Internal is the only way to go.

How about those drive kits that just convert IDE/SATA to USB and have an AC adapter for power?

I'm also interested in this.

I'm starting to think picking up an old desktop from the roadside would give me a better reliability/price ratio for a disk-cloning setup.

I got this one with a 1TB WD Green and I'm very happy with it.
It's quiet and does the job.

Supper Speed lol

That's what I do. I've got an old HP desktop with two hotswappable drive bays. Works great.

i bought one of those and i couldnt get it it work. if anyone knows of any good ones that actually work, i'd like to know as well.

Anyone?

Sharkoon does neat stuff.
According to my experience, it's a reliable budget option.
sharkoon.com/category/storage-solutions/docking-stations.aspx
If you need one-button cloning, get the XT Duo Clone (duh).
If not, get the Duo, or as many XTs as you like.

banned??

guess not :)

I've used the docks and the drive kits. I'd say if you quickly need to swap disks around, the docks are the best solution. If you need something long-term though i'd use the drive kits since otherwise you've got a noisy vibrating HDD exposed to god knows what circulating around your environment.

Watch out for the small drive kits though, the boards in them tend to be a bit flimsy and you can easily snap the connector if your not paying attention to where you're walking.

But user, the drive kits are even MORE exposed than a dock, unless you're talking about keeping them in a fan-cooled cage or something.

My purposes are short term. If I were going to hook something up to my desktop indefinitely, I'd just install it internally or get a nice enclosure. What I need is something to quickly attach drives for diagnosis, recovery, and (sometimes) cloning. I've found the Sabrent dock I have to be kind of a piece of shit in that regard due to its high failure rate and the fact that it doesn't pass along the drive info to Windows. I'm a little worried that anything I get is going to share the same issues, as they all have the exact same feature set and limitations.

Also, hooking drives up internally is a no-go unless I build a separate workbench system, which is starting to look like the only real long-term solution.

>open Sharkoon link
>look for Amada Kokoro images on Gelbooru
>come back to the thread
>look for the Sharkoon link that I opened earlier
>there's a tab for PUSSY SAGA open
Th-thanks, Gelbooru.

Also, literally no one carries those Sharkoon drive docks, as far as I can see. They're out of stock and deactivated on Newegg, and the only ones on Amazon are out of stock or listed exclusively on Amazon UK or DE.

Yay for living in naziland.
If you can look up what chipsets are used in those products, you should be able to get equivalent products. If something breaks, it's either because of shitty fabrication or faulty chipset.

Amada is love, Amada is life. May she save us from the green-blue menace.

What about setting up power through a wall adapter ending in molex, converted to a SATA power adapter, then a data connection from SATA to eSATA?

Is that as close to a direct internal connection as you could possibly get? I know that my mobo has eSATA ports, but I'm not familiar with eSATA at all.

What about an enclosure? I have an old SSD here that I'd like to make into a USB 3.0 drive.

I have a similar HD dock from the image but mine is the BlacX 5G with superspeed (aka: USB 3.0). It work fine as a quick swap disks where I just transfer all my data to a WD Red HDD as a backup. It connect directly to my desktop but I don't use it too often as it's either backup, convert RAW DVD or Blu-ray of show in HDD, or transfer files I download to a HDD.

The only issue I notice is if you use the 2.5 HDD, be careful when you put it in. I can see someone break the pin quite easily if you don't pay attention when trying to put into the dock.

I bought this one just to transfer files from my old drive when building my new PC

it's pretty nice to have around

amzn.com/B00FDLCTQO

>literally Nvidia's colors.

I got a sharkoon one, looks the same as in ops picture.

Cheap as shit and works fine.