OS X Appreciation Thread

Cheers to what is by far the prettiest, cleanest, safest, and fastest operating system out there.

Show me what you're rocking, Cred Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=osx-3-linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I turned it into linux because I hate myself

>hackintosh
How do you enjoy the OS without all the nifty gestures and such?

It's a Macbook Pro. Where did you get the idea that it was a hackintosh?

Is this the default terminal + tmux or something else?

That's not osx

>fastest
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=osx-3-linux

It's urxvt in i3

OP's picture is pretty clearly OS X

looks like it to me

How do you run i3 in osx?

I didn't even bother to rice edition

That's totally osx

>nifty gestures

You buy the magic trackpad maybe?

Who /old mac/ here?

fuck off beaner

Nope. Now go back to Cred Forums with all the other loser NEETs, kid.

>calling other people a kid when you use 5 years old hardware
Go and build the wall you thirdword fag.

>waste all day on Cred Forums desperately trying to call the attention of random people instead of looking for a job
>complain that mexicans steal their jobs
What's the problem, kid? Didn't mommy love you as a child?

>instead of looking for a job
Kek, I have a job, but unlike you we don't have to work 24 hours a day to being able to afford basic items
>Implying we have to worry about you people anymore.
Have fun getting a job with all the wetbacks going back to your shithole.

> Kek, I have a job,
Flipping burgers is a temporary job, user. You should be looking for something better.
> Have fun getting a job with all the wetbacks going back to your shithole
You keep assuming I'm a mexican, but that's not surprising coming from someone that suffered the american education system (also you vote for Trump which shows you probably didn't went to college either). The worst thing is that you assume your Dear Leader will win, which shows that besides being a loser you're also pretty retarded.

>Being this mad because you are a shitskin
kek

Thread ruined by fucking spics.

>choosing to be a faggot
Oh well, the gene pool is somewhat cleaner now

Looking forward to getting a late 2013 rMBP for fun. Is 850$ a fair price or should I try to negociate?

dont buy used macs

But the 2015 model is old, too, it costs more and it's basically not worth it because the new laptops should be coming out in a month or two. I need it by October 1st so I can't wait much.

Don't come crying at us if you got a busted internal and you can't change it

You can get one for free.

I probably wouldn't. I live in Eastern Europe anyway and such degeneracy wouldn't be tolerated here, and taking a trip to Sweden would cost me just as much.

What's the matter, afraid to use the command line? You rather pay for a program than type a command?

>2015
>old

Mavericks is more pretty and clean :-)
Björk's Heirloom is better :^)
Literally the only thing I dislike about OS X. Thankfully, terminal doesn't have this problem.

I'd pay the price of a new product for something that's going to be replaced in less than 2 months.

I don't really have anything against Macs in general, but I simply don't see any purpose in buying one. The hardware isn't very good for the price, and I don't want to have to mess around with everything to get a tiling WM when I can just get one more simply in Linux.

In general I just don't find the hardware or the software appealing in any way.

osx might be the best OS ever made. been using it since 2008 but now apple's laptops fucking suck for proffesional use. +2000 for a generic high performance computer ffs. last good apple laptop was mid2012-nonretina-mbp.

still, osx is a fucking beauty

Objectively a stacking WM is better than tiling. Plus OS X has some specific proprietary applications which often even have no alternatives on Linux.

i3 offers stacking, too. Of course, there's more software for Macs but I don't really need it for my coding.

I'm just interested to see if anyone can convince me to buy a Mac.

buy a good condition second hand one if u want a daily thing to use. the ergonomics on the hw and the design on that os are next level. (im using linux btw)

1. mac pro is very small yet powerful
2. macbooks are thin and light, and Retina screen is nice.
3. you can just install linux there
4. Launchd > systemd
5. Quartz > X11+WM+Compositor

Same way you do on anything else.

Oh look it's this meme again

9 years and counting.

I can't comment on the last two and I agree I can install Linux.

As for the Mac Pro, it's a powerful computer but it really has aged and you can definitely get something better for much less now. I have no use for a laptop as I have both a desktop to woke with at home and one at work. The hardware price/performance is here too, as you can likely find a lower cost Ultrabook with similar performance. I don't like using track pads much but I have used one on a Mac and it is quite nice to use.

>buy 2012 mbp for $200ish new
>came with el capitan installed
>can't downgrade
REEEEEEEE

Just get a keyboard based window manager like bettersnaptool, it's rad and stupid easy.

He clearly has no idea what hackintosh actually means

download the osx install for the version u want and boot from it. its not that hard u cunt

You should be able to downgrade on a 2012, have you actually tried?

Seems interesting, I'll look into it, thanks.

Would you reccomend it? El Capitan worked fine, HDD slow as shit but i can change it later. Siri lags a little on Sierra but the rest of the stuff it's alright

Kaby Lake is out now. Broadwell is 2 Intel Generations old and Apple is selling it as current.

change the hdd to a ssd and that will be it. i still run mavericks tho, i dont use siri nor any of those new things but u dont lose anything by using the latest os, maybe software compability but its been long enough.

also if u change the hdd to sdd youll have to install osx again anyways so pick what u want

In my opinion every os past Lion benefits from an SSD so i suggest you to install SSD and install Mavericks or Sierra OR install Snow Leopard (that could be possible)

Thanks, should I upgrade the ram too? 4gb, not planning to use photoshop or edit videos on it

>tfw Kubuntu at work and OS X at home
>tfw I will never, ever have to deal with Windows again
it's one of the most liberating experiences in my life. If only I had more time I'd switch to Linux at home as well, but my hackintosh runs too good to ruin it.

i have the same mbp u have i upgraded it to 8gb ram and 500gb ssd and it runs like its on speed. ram is not a priority but if u get round changing the hdd, just do everything at the same time innit?

>fastest operating system out there
my fucking sides

recently got a new laptop to work after being with osx and linux all the time and it came with windows 10 preinstalled. goddamn i cannot truly understand how people use that. xp and 7 were kinda nice but damn i got mad at my computer the first day working with it

>xp and 7 were kinda nice but damn i got mad at my computer the first day working with it
I tried to use all Windows versions from 8 til 10 with all the latest updates and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

i wish i could use windows cos linux compability with modern hw is kinda shit, but damn i prefer to lose performance than to use that goddamn ugly peace of shit. who the fuck does the design work for ms??

>Xeon 5100s
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, Andrew

Yeah, I pulled it out of recycling with a matching aluminum cinema display. It's a 2006 1,1 Mac Pro; still more powerful enough for the audio production I do.

is that screenfetch or an alternative? Really sexy setup, user.

I love my MacBook Pro, but jesus, is it so hard to enable ntfs support?

>Having no argument
Ayy lmao you're Mexican Ayyy

this

>adBlocker

WOW SO COOL I BET YOU TOTALLY KNOW YOUR HACKS OPEE

Mi amigo

Post your wallpaper

NTFS sucks, there's no reason for Apple to pay Microsoft to include support for it in OS X. Run a VM if you want support for that shit.

what terminal color scheme are you using?

Yeah, I know, but I prefer NTFS over exFAT

>chrome and not glorious Safari

This

The only thing pretty than this is possibly Linux Mint

also, pls join irc

>using light theme

I won't join IRC if there's faggots like you around.

By installing i3 and then executing it

It's a modified screenfetch

Okay

>he doesn't run Textual

Textual is garbage. Use a real client

hello here is my os x

Fuck OS X.

It's for women.

Linux is for real men.

OSX is for toddlers. Use a real OS.

How is Sierra? Does it feel much smoother? Also are you using Chrome?

Who PowerPC here?

Not the user you replied to, but I use my 15" rMBP hooked up to a KB and trackball most of the time. Gestures are cool but honestly the OS is just as usable without them if you set up extra mouse buttons, hotkeys, hotcorners, etc.

I've been using OS X since version 10.0 and up to 10.8 or 10.9 on desktops exclusively, though, so gestures still seem somewhat newfangled and optional to me.

At least that nigga got his MBP.
This dude on the other hand...

Seriously, this is a perfect representation of Mac culture.
>Windows
>File > Folder Options > Show hidden files
>Linux
>Literally Ctrl+H
>Mac
>Pay $0.99

I got this old Vostro 1014 what is the easiest method to get Mac OSX Sierra/El Capitan/Yosemite working on it? Tried custom shit like Niresh and iAtkos havent gotten neither to the install screen.

sup

I tried to install Sierra on my 2010 MBP and the install failed every time. Did you have to do anything special?

Only if you're a retard and can't do simple applescript

not really, it's not a clean install tho. I just enrolled my MBP on the apple beta program so the Sierra shows up on the mac app store.

Altho there were times I tried to do a clean installation of beta OS X versions and gave me errors, turns out the upgraded RAM was the problem, so I put the original RAM it came with while installing, and then put the new RAM back in once the install finished.

You don't have to pay for that option, just drop this in the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
killall Finder

If this is something you toggle frequently, it's trivial to make this a context menu item or button in the Finder using Automator or Xcode. You don't need to pay a dime.

The reason this option isn't shown by default is to prevent those cases you hear about grandma and Joe the Mechanic deleting this funny folder called "System" because it was taking up so much space. Users who know what the fuck they're doing figure out how to get the functionality they want in .001 microseconds. Essentially, the UI acts as a technical ignorance filter that keeps power in the hands of those who can handle it.

>I just enrolled my MBP on the apple beta program so the Sierra shows up on the mac app store
That's what I did too.
It starts installing fine but after a while it stops and boots into recovery and shows me a crash log.

>turns out the upgraded RAM was the problem
Hm, I have upgraded memory in mine too. Maybe I'll try putting in the original sticks. Thanks.

>Windows
>File > Folder Options > Show hidden files
>Linux
>Literally Ctrl+H
>Mac
>defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
>killall Finder
>to do it frequently you have to download Xcode (8+ GB)
Point still stands.
>The reason this option isn't shown by default is to prevent those cases you hear about grandma and Joe the Mechanic deleting this funny folder called "System"
How about doing it like Windows (TrustedInstaller) or Linux (have to do it via terminal with sudo)?

What is the fucking point of that huge green banner at the top?

>to do it frequently you have to download Xcode (8+ GB)
You don't have to, that's simply an option. You can also use Automator or Applescript (bundled with the OS) or even a shell script.

>How about doing it like Windows (TrustedInstaller) or Linux (have to do it via terminal with sudo)?
Having it in the UI anywhere lowers the bar to entry and makes it less "scary". If you're forced to do it through the terminal it very clearly signals a need of a reasonable level of technical knowledge.

OS X already require sudo and the terminal to delete important things. Keeping hidden files out of reach from muggles is a second layer of defense.

Or you can write a script and do it in two clicks.

>OS X already require sudo and the terminal to delete important things. Keeping hidden files out of reach from muggles is a second layer of defense.
I don't see the point of dumbing down the OS to that point. Not even Windows does that.
What about the kid that wants to access his Minecraft saves/texture packs?

It's not a meme, it's an example of retarded programming.

The macfags in this thread explained it: the average mac user is too dumb to be even exposed to the setting.

They're not wrong. No one smart has macs.

>Not even Windows does that.
>Windows
>Security

I had hackintosh for a while. I actually went and bought the magic trackpad and it worked fine. So I enjoyed that.

Why not use it these days? Well, I do need windows now.

It's an example of things carrying back from history -- the original macintosh didn't have folder merge, and that's understandable - in 1984, people weren't experienced with GUIs, but when OS X came the developers decided to keep it there
This is also the reason of global menu bar, HFS and most finder concepts in general
Cmd Shift G Tilde Slash Li Tab .mi Tab Enter

Windows is the most used grandma OS.
Of course Linux will let you see hidden files, but the fact is that even Windows does it easily (via a menu).

>Not even Windows does that.
I'm not sure that's any kind of valid indicator. Microsoft has repeatedly proven its incapability in the field of consumer-facing UI, and there's not lack of horror stories about people fucking up their Windows install doing stupid shit.

>What about the kid that wants to access his Minecraft saves/texture packs?
Go > Go to Folder > type "~/Application Support/Minecraft/", hit enter. Alternatively just hit Command-Shift-G, paste path, hit enter. There's also an option for unhiding the user's Library folder in particular under View > Show View Options

>The macfags in this thread explained it: the average user is too dumb to be even exposed to the setting.
FTFY. Between the latest generation that grew up on rubberroom web apps and old farts who only picked up computing past their 40s and 90s kids that just didn't give a fuck about computers until they became "normal", very few people have any appreciable level of technical capability.

Grandma is smarter than the average Mac user.
She makes good coffee, while the Mac user buys fake coffee from Starbucks.

>Microsoft has repeatedly proven its incapability in the field of consumer-facing UI, and there's not lack of horror stories about people fucking up their Windows install doing stupid shit.

Still better than anything FOSS has managed to shit out

I dunno, the file managers included with GNOME and Unity are pretty damn newb friendly. They're basically simplified Finder clones

And won't make you lose your files when merging directories

>GNOME

You can't arrange folders in shape of a dick; 0/10

What's its problem?

>It's not a meme, it's an example of retarded programming.
No, it's an example of something that doesn't exist.

Cinnamon is amazing, actually.