Abp vs uB

Why should I move from ABP to uBlock Origins...?
youtube.com/watch?v=W0luryR5uvU

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Does-uBlock-block-ads-or-just-hide-them?
github.com/chrisaljoudi/ublock)
ublock.org/
adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads
blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/05/14/adblock-pluss-effect-on-firefoxs-memory-usage/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

uBlock is lighter, but that's only because it hides ads.

One blocks ads, one sells ads.

Figure it out.

abp doesnt do the same?

One hides ads, one sells ads.

Ad"""""""""""""block""""""""""""" Plus

Interesting

>has no idea how content blocking APIs built into browsers work

Reddit is calling, leave and make Cred Forums better.

How about not acting so hard like a troglodyte travesty and actually giving a proper reasoning behind your inferior attitude?

Huh? You clearly have no idea how these addons work on the underside, I'm only pointing this out and telling you a place you'd better fit in.

you know that this is true, right?

I'm pretty sure Linus Torvalds and John Carmack don't know how those adblockers work. Even though, they belong here, you retarded piece of shit. You don't have to know and be good at everything

ABP:
>slow and resource heavy (inefficient)
>owners accept money to deliberately ignore certain ads
>default filter lists are shit, need to add your own

uBlock0:
>fast and lightweight
>blocks ads unconditionally
>comes with a large number of good default filter lists (simple to set up)

Hiding the ads would be heavier than blocking them

Blocked ad = 0 resource cost

>inferiority complex: ạ̢̦̥ѡỗ̡͓̟̿̚ô̦̠ͦͯ̀~̮̽͘͠

Stop exposing your insecurities inferior chimp

Care to point to the relevant commit in the source to substantiate your claim? Oh wait, you're pulling shit out from your ass.

uBlock Origin blocks content within advertisements (Images, videos, etc.) and then uses CSS to do as you said, hide the location in which the ad originally was. This is only done to make the page not contain tons of whitespace from the original ad. You have never looked at the source code of these addons or done any work with content blocking within any browser, so what say do you have here?

Nice trips btw.

Nice ad hominems!!

Hiding ads eats less CPU cycles and RAM than blocking them. This is totally obvious.

So if there is a js file from blacklisted host on a site will uBlock in chromium actually block it?

The hell is this table? Any source?

Correct. Chromium APIs can block scripts before execution based on a number of factors. So can Firefox.

Then where does this uHide meme comes from?

DAILY REMINDER: uBlock (aka uHide) is NOT an ad blocker, it's an ad HIDER. It does this to make you think you're blocking ads when it's really delivering ads to you; ads aren't about selling products on the internet, it's about tracking you and selling your metadata. The uHide devs are in a deal with ad companies to push this onto unsuspecting users by confusing them with MOAR SPEED (only if you have an ancient shit system) and outright LIES about any accusations regarding not blocking things.

ABP is honest and out front about having a non-blocking list, and tells you exactly how to easily disable that when you first install it, even providing a link to the place to do it, and with that disabled, actually BLOCKS all ads.

Don't believe me? Use uHide and check your cache, then use ABP with the "acceptible ads" disabled and do the same.

Lovely bunch of ads cluttering your cache with uHide.

>I'm the ABP developer

Here is your answer

shills and ironic shitposters

Best get logging a ticket then dipshit.

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Does-uBlock-block-ads-or-just-hide-them?

Sent :)

Gorhill's fork of uBlock (Ublock Origin) only hides the ads

The original uBlock (github.com/chrisaljoudi/ublock) actually blocked ads.

Not sure why that dipshit gorhill keeps trying to pull this shit with a product that isn't even his

Maybe the fact that it actually does do some Unnecessary hiding that can be configured and turned off using CSS? Or more likely just Adblock shills that have never touched the source code or API functions available...

Example, See and

literal made up bullshit
do you also believe microsoft that W10 is safe?

This!
Get the one by official development team not some autism fork.
ublock.org/

itt abp shills

>donation supported
nah

>not supporting free as in freedom projects
fuck off kike

cool-est may may

It's a post for (you)s.
It's a "I'm a girl" attention seeking post.

>Hiding ads eats less CPU cycles and RAM than blocking them
>loading the ad and running its scripts takes fewer cycles than not loading them and not running their scripts

>so what say do you have here?
He was talking about ABP allowing "acceptable ads" to be shown.
It basically is selling this feature to ad networks for revenue.
Even worse is that it's opt-out and not opt-in.
adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads

ublock + umatrix here, supposedly an ad cdn blocked, malwarebytes emits an alert about blocking the connection to it

I genuinely don't understand this. Is it a joke that's going over my head where people post straight up lies about uBlock Origin for no apparent reason?

use noscript

>I'm pretty sure Linus Torvalds and John Carmack don't know how those adblockers work.
I'm pretty sure they do, because it's really not complicated. Browser starts http request, adblocker checks if url matches a blacklist entry, adblocker deletes the element from the DOM tree. All you need is basic knowledge about how the www works.

More or less identical tbqh

>yfw ABP actually takes way more RAM than even no adblocker because it indiscriminately injects thousand of CSS rules into every iframe
blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/05/14/adblock-pluss-effect-on-firefoxs-memory-usage/