Apple's killing Intel

What nao Cred Forums? What will happen to Intel?

>The iPhone's new chip should worry Intel
>It is Apple, not AMD, that threatens Intel’s hegemony

theverge.com/2016/9/16/12939310/iphone-7-a10-fusion-processor-apple-intel-future

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/General/APIDiffsMacOS10_12/Objective-C/Kernel.html
eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1328561
blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
boingboing.net/2016/06/15/intel-x86-processors-ship-with.html
youtube.com/watch?v=KnapaZYD2cU
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12489544
zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-reveals-his-favorite-programming-laptop/
opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-3248.40.184/osfmk/mach/machine.h
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw AMD is such shit even MOBILE ARM APPLE processor is miles ahead of them

tfw power7 macbook airs will require a refrigerator to cool it, and a tesla battery to make last long enough for "portable use"

can't wait

Good Goy!

But there's only Intel available in my mac pro options anyways...

ARM Macs are coming:

Added #def CPUFAMILY_ARM_HURRICANE

developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/General/APIDiffsMacOS10_12/Objective-C/Kernel.html

fuck are you talking about?

Do you think they'll drop Bootcamp support?

You need x86 to run Windows. Maybe they'll be able to emulate it like they emulated PowerPC.

Doesn't Windows 10 do ARM?

Apple will never sell its chips to other companies, so it's not really competing with Intel.

Qualcomm and Samsung are Intel's closest competitors in mobile, even if their chips' performance is way behind Apple's A series.

In any case, I'm pretty sure Intel has given up on trying to compete in mobile after five miserable and fruitless years, and is now focused on selling x86 chips to data centers running Windows and Linux servers.

Wasn't that supposed to be Windows RT?

how does i7 compare to A10 in MIPS/watt?

There's a CLI-only version for IoT. Barebones as fuck.

Not quite. Microsoft has a special branch of "Windows 10" for ARM. Its not the same, though more fully featured than RT.

Rosetta was only around for a couple of OS X releases while Apple was still transitioning over to x86.

I doubt they're interested in keeping the Windows dual-boot option like it's an important Mac feature or something. It was just a convenient side-effect of being on x86, at a time when OS X was still maturing and growing its developer base. I also doubt their ARM chips will be able to run it well in a VM.

Huh, so maybe they can make it work then. But seeing how arrogant Apple is becoming again, maybe they decide to not support Windows at all.

How many ARM CPUs would it take to reach acceptable content creation performance for a Mac Pro?

>10% of the computer and mobile market and 0% of the server market
>killing Intel

Wut?

The 12-inch MacBook with Core M can handle 4K video editing on Final Cut X just fine.

It's not hard to pull off when the software and hardware are well-optimized and well-integrated.

It's it not for that Apple Single board computer they made a while back.

Isn't Objective C dead?

>well-optimized and well-integrated
This is a meme and no longer true for Macs. My Mac Mini and Macbook Pro run much better with Ubuntu than with macOS Sierra.

It would be the single most retarded thing Apple did getting rid of Intel on their desktop, and would signal the death of their home computer business.

They're marketing the fucking iPad Pro as a Pro laptop replacement. They just don't care anymore.

Why?

If you're referring to x86 applications, they can be ran on ARM with a compatibility layer.

t. Pajeet

Apple is already experienced in switching architectures

Intel doesn't own the home computer. Apple can do whatever the fuck it wants.

Tying yourself to legacy desktop hardware is the exact type of timid, small-minded thinking that caused Microsoft to completely blow its chance at being relevant in mobile.

Can Steam and Steam games be run with a compatibility layer? People already invested time converting PPC programs to x86. Nobody is going to waste their time converting x86 to arm8. Apple's desktop line has already been withering up on the vine. It's basically dead right now. This would be the final nail in its coffin.

>mips is dead
>sparc is dead
>ibm is fooling itself with power arch
>risc-v is DoA for non embedded uses
>amd doesn't have enough money to step it up
just fuck my shit up senpai
i wanna go back to the 90s

>apple
>relevant to anything other than nigger/women phoneshit
>even remotely capable of into desktop/high performance technology, let alone challenging intel
My fucking sides... what has happened to Cred Forums

IT'S HAPPENING

>an angry birds processor with literally no x86 software support or performance per watt of a Xeon D 1587 is killing intel
k

Yes.

No one's killing intel.
Giving them competition is the best thing that can happen to them.

They don't want to be dismantled due to being a super monopoly, let the other kids try to fight them, it's better for everyone.

And how would that perform? Unless programs are written for ARM they're going to chuck liquid feces.

>how would that perform
>buying a mac for the performance

still waiting for my 255-core lightway CPU to btfo intel and amd fags

You realize that the Mac has shifted platforms twice, right? First was 68k to PPC in the 90s, then a decade later PPC to x86. Both times they came out fine, and Apple was far more vulnerable back then. They can handle it.

As for "muh steam," it's on developers to regularly maintain their games and keep them current just like any other software company does. There are already many older Mac games and apps released after the Intel transition (ca. 2006-2009) that have not been compatible with newer OS X versions for several years because they rely on deprecated APIs and frameworks. If they can't be bothered to update at least once per decade, then that's their problem, not Apple's.

So what you're saying is apple will become more irrelevant than it already is if it started to use angry birds processors on laptops and phones? Gotcha.

>apple
>irrelevant

Go back to and let the adults talk.

>sparc

I just got an e-mail at work yesterday from my Pajeet account manager at Oraclel telling me how great the new SPARC servers are and how I really need to do away with my legacy x86 servers.

When apple starts building data centers with ARM chips then you'll have convinced me.

Aplel literally is irrelevant in the desktop and mobile market though. Very few people use their products (ie homosexuals and 13 year old girls). The only reason they appear relevant is because of all the advertising they do.

>synthetic benchmarks

Yeah, that's why iShit takes a full minute to boot up while any Intel Mac with an SSD takes 10 seconds.

Why do technology illiterate iToddlers even come to Cred Forums?

If Macs go ARM, the MacBook will be the first machine to be outfitted with it. Being fanless, it stands much to gain from an ARM processor.

>5 hour boot time

Just looking at that keyboard makes me wince in pain.

The Mac is "irrelevant" in the same sense that the iPhone is "irrelevant," which is what happens when you falsely compare sales of one or two products (Mac/iPhone) against the aggregate sales of hundreds of different products (Windows/Android OEMs).

Apple is still the most profitable and influential PC and smartphone vendor by far. They are the envy of the entire consumer tech industry. Wintel computers are a dying vestige of the 90s.

>Apple is still the most profitable
True

>and influential PC and smartphone vendor by far.
>They are the envy of the entire consumer tech industry. Wintel computers are a dying vestige of the 90s.
Then why has iPhone and mac marketshare declined to ~10% over the years?

Face it aplel is an irrelevant company run by literal homosexuals who are milking it as much as they can before it collapses in on itself in a few years. The apple logo craze went away ever since it became a sign of homosexuality because of tim cock.

God you sound so jelly

Isn't the iPhone 7 already faster on some benchmarks then the most recent Mac Pro?

Ironically I used to own an iPhone and a mac which I paid full price for. Look I'm just stating facts sorry that bothers you mr tim cock.

It's not you retard. Geekbench 3 is a pointless synthetic benchmark ESPECIALLY across different cpu architectures. Go read intspec benchmark scores if you legit care about how good an angry birds processor with no native support for x86 programs is.

Read pic related

I'm not for or against this, my thin client/Cred Forums machine's a macbook air that's never getting replaced and I think it'll be fucking fun to sit back and watch all this happen.
Fuck, a pro mac full of A10's would be awesome.

you are ingoring his point. It doesnt matter if macos marketshare is >10%, because apple competes with dell and lenovo, not with microsoft.

Android has more marketshare, but does samsung ship more mobiles ?

I literally don't give a fuck as long as price and performance are satisfying.

>Apple
>Price

>theverge

Nothing to see here, move along.

Nope, why do you think it is?

>you are ingoring his point. It doesnt matter if macos marketshare is >10%, because apple competes with dell and lenovo, not with microsoft.

Every. single. developer. works on a Macbook.

I haven't met one developer that wasn't some fortune 500 shithead doing C# or Java websites that doesn't use a Macbook Pro.

>The 12-inch MacBook with Core M can handle 4K video editing

HAHAHAHAHA, No.

Maybe if you think preview-less editing or waiting 20 minutes to preview how a 5 second clip turned out is acceptable.

>Every. single. developer. works on a Macbook.
LMAO. no

>I haven't met one developer that wasn't some fortune 500 shithead doing C# or Java websites that doesn't use a Macbook Pro.
k sure thing budy.

Bullshit.

Just because you're a mactoddler fart app maker doesn't mean everyone is.

>That retarded apple circlejerk.

IOS Devices dominate enterprise mobile market, but Desktop are dominated by Winintel in the enterprise market. Mac going arm means that they will lose support for majority of all enterprise/mainstream desktops applications.

Developers isn't going to waste their fucking time with Macs when they port to IOS instead. You mactards are smoking some shit if you think arm MacOS ports will be as good as IOS ports.

Chromebook run on arms too, but that's not going to kill Intel. They will lose some money from Apple, but that it's. Macs are irrevalant in the Workstation/Servers, which is where Intel gets teir money.

on one hand I'm happy that risc processors are neck and neck with cisc processors

what worries me is the monopoly on brain power that Intel and Apple hold
if you want to put a relevant processor on the market you need a bunch of architects with a ton of experience, those are the people that the two competing companies will fight for

How will iToddlers ever recover?

ARM is already starting to replace outdated x86 architecture in everything thats not cheap Windows/Loonix servers

Meanwhile, AMD struggles to beat Intel in a fucking dying market

congrats, AMD

Arm literally can't complete in anything that uses more than 5w.

well at least SOMEONE is finally threatening the intel jews. it's sad that it's another jewish company, and one that sells fashion instead of actual computing technology, but at this point, any competition is better than nothing

Reminder that no real work is ever done on Macs.

note: SSH into a cluster doesn't count as the Mac doing the actual work.

good goy
t.scheckelschtein electric power grids co.

Intel has been dying for years. They missed out on mobile and now they're fucked.

Intel will make some kind of a contract with Google - for server processors and mobile stuff.

>server market
>intel
b-but user, intel does not produce power8 cpus desu~

>glorious 4:3 retina IPS display
>not a new Thinkpad

>Reminder that no real work is ever done on Macs.
then get off Cred Forums because it runs on Macs.

>Apple owns ARM now

Hah, no! Google and others are moving towards RiscV

eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1328561

>x86 will die in your lifetime

>t.
What did he mean by this

>open sauce CPU
Sounds nice.

seen this?

blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf

also, there's this issue about ME:

boingboing.net/2016/06/15/intel-x86-processors-ship-with.html

declined to 10%?....

More like grew to 10% but that's not the point either.

You are either growing or you are dying. Being stagnant, or losing financially isn't a good state for a business when they have nothing to point to that they can call "Growth" when their shareholders ask why aren't they profiting.

>what is ARMâ„¢ TrustZoneâ„¢?

It's "terveisin", Finnish for "with regards"

you don't know shit. trust zone is isolated.

Isolatedâ„¢

>apple CPU scores better in one(1) shitty benchmarks which does not differ between HW and SW crypto units
>HOLY SHIT INTEL FINISHED

>my disgraphia autism read this as "Finnish with retards"

/thread

>on one hand I'm happy that risc processors are neck and neck with cisc processors

This meme must die nao.
Any x86 CPU for the last 10 years is a RISC processor inside and even the x86 compilers select CISC instructions in such a way that they'll be immediately decoded to RISC uops on the CPUs front-end.

I hope you know apple will use AMD graphics in the next MacBook

Objective-C is no more than C macros, IIRC. And the XNU kernel seems to be written in C

cisc were a workaround for the era when compilers were extremely basic
this is no longer the case, cisc just adds complexity to the design, causes longer pipelines, higher power consumption, harder to design cpus that cope with all the data hazards efficiently

>interesting question might be whether Apple shouldn’t just bite the bullet and make iOS its universal operating system

Wow, so many ways to answer this question. But ultimately, no. No that is the most stupid thing I have heard in a while. And I frequent trap threads!

And? Who's CISC? Not x86 CPUs, they only receive CISC code and convert it to RISC on a decoder that's smaller than a ARM memory interface.

CISC = Complex instruction set computing
so from what I understand it refers to the Instruction Set Architecture, not the way it is implemented

from wikipedia:
>As CISC became a catch-all term meaning anything that's not a load-store (RISC) architecture, it's not the number of instructions, nor the complexity of the implementation or of the instructions themselves, that define CISC, but the fact that arithmetic instructions also perform memory accesses.

The uops in the execution engines do not. If a modern x86 CPU receives that instruction, it is decoded into two or more uops and the load/store and arithmetic are decoupled.

You are wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=KnapaZYD2cU

oh look, yet ANOTHER journalism thread

So was this using the intel graphics to speed up the process?

I am dissapointed at how little the GPU is used for processing video. I thought it'd be the next great thing, but doesn't seem to have happened.

Not sure but macOS has Metal now, so it's likely that FCPX could use it for GPU acceleration.

Even though it's an Intel Integrated?

Yes. Metal works on all Macs introduced since 2012.

I thought metal was a graphics thing. Didn't realise it had a computational part to it.

Yeah, it's replacing both OpenGL and OpenCL in macOS.

So, how can one run PowerPC MacOS programs today?
Is MacOS required?

i;ve already made up my mind of dropping my fx 8350 for a i5 4690k or i7 4790k

PearPC

They've never cared about having Windows as a dual-boot option. Just look at the drivers they've given out. The battery life on a MacBook running windows is appalling!

Oracle completely ruined SPARC. They even managed to convince Fujitsu to move to ARM for supercomputers!

Just because x86 needs 100W to power that fat decoding frontend doesn't mean it's a powerful architecture.

One day someone will find a way to exploit the ME and Intel will burn.
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12489544

>Intel marketing doing damage control on my Cred Forums

Intel stole Alpha IP to make their first RISC cores in the Pentium Pro

Have you seen how much Power8 systems cost compared to X86 systems?

There's a reason Power8 will forever remain restricted to those who have deep pockets and who want to impress people with exotic hardware that eats more watts than a AMD Piledriver.

>Have you seen how much Power8 systems cost compared to X86 systems?

gee, its almost like IBM isnt in the same market as x86

If they could alter the architecture of their mobile CPUs and do like a 4 core A11 for desktop and a single core for their phones they could increase profitability on their desktops and laptops at lower price points.

They'd only need a few programs to work to sell them to normies headed in to college.

The iOS file system varies from nonexistent to laborious and restrictive.

It would be a nightmare to use as a main computer.

These articles come out every time Apple launch a new A-series chip. Oh no.

Apple are going to kill mac, oh no apple are going to switch everything to iOS, oh no apple are going to drop intel from macs.

Ultimately they probably won't

>tesla battery
You mean lots of phillips batteries strapped together?

>implying it will be running macos
They will just port iOS senpai

Hopefully Apple switches to ARM for their Macbooks so it would spark a copycat ARM race for laptops.
Wintel needs to fucking die ASAP.
>b-but muh gaems

zdnet.com/article/linus-torvalds-reveals-his-favorite-programming-laptop/

Lets see your damage control

Geekbench 4 gets rid of crypto tests. Samshit and Qualcomm phones suffered massively in terms of benchmark scores, so many fucking butthurt reviews on the Play store.

I can't wait for MATLAB to get 80% slower.

Please don't post April fools jokes when it isn't April

You're such a fucktard.

I like how this guy is trying to argue with someone who clearly knows more than him.

>The iPhone's new chip should worry Intel

Why should it worry intel ?

Look at the problems intel has trying to break into the low wattage soc market..
ARM/Apple will face similiar challenges trying to break into the high power SoC/CPU market.

Maybe what will change is Apple users' expectations of the system.

>oh wow it's so slim
>it's ok if it runs slower than an i5, its so slim and light !
people don't seem to care about the air performance

Apple is known for fine-tuning its software to run at peak performance on its hardware.

Switching to ARM will give them an excuse to drop lots of old deprecated macOS APIs so that developers can make apps that run just as well as they did on x86.

Intel has been a dominant presence for so long that developers have come to expect lots of headroom provided by power-hungry x86 chips so that they can get away with shipping crappy, unoptimized software.

With the right software, ARM can be turned into a desktop-class hardware platform.

>With the right software, ARM can be turned into a desktop-class hardware platform.
But it won't be, x86 has accumulated just way too much software comparability to be dropped for a meme cpu architecture.

In fact software comparability is not the only reason why ARM is bad. ARM has notoriously terrible performance per watt and doesn't come even 50% of the performance per watt of a Xeon D 1587 which is becoming fast popular on servers.

Macs that run FreeBSD, not Homosex OS.

Apple isn't concerned with maintaining compatibility with 15-year-old legacy apps. They will give developers a year or two to get their apps on ARM as each part of the Mac line makes the transition, then drop x86 like a flaming bag of shit.

The reason ARM has a poor power-per-watt reputation is that no one yet has made a serious effort to design a desktop-class ARM core from the ground up in the way Apple does with the A series. Apple only licenses the instruction set from ARM; they have the money and engineering muscle to make a badass chip for Macs.

And no one is comparing ARM to Xeons. Apple makes ultrathin laptops and all-in-ones for consumers, not rack servers.

>Apple makes ultrathin laptops and all-in-ones for consumers, not rack servers.
Don't remind me.

Holy fuck.

How has this not been reported and discussed on every Apple news site? Google search comes up with nothing.

Is "Hurricane" the name for the A10 core?

Never mind. Apple shares the same kernel code between Macs and iOS devices, so this is nothing out of the ordinary. El Capitan has definitions for older ARM cores too.

opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-3248.40.184/osfmk/mach/machine.h

You can kiss Steam and games goodbye if they move macbooks to ARM.

Yeah it's not like Apple already has a wildly successful ARM-based gaming platform or anything.

>Apple software
Good joke.

lol

Will Linus ever stop being so based?

>ARM
>0% of the server market
Someone is talking out of their own ass here...

Photoshop and Lightroom are being ported to OSX in almost full-functionality very soon.

I have to say, I'm no video editor or anything, but the fact that Final Cut Pro actually uses the power of the video card is a huge boost over using Premiere Pro.

I am extremely disappointed that the power of the GPU in 90% of things like this goes unused.

Windows is Windows because it's running on x86, running x86 applications.
Anything else is a bad joke.

You're not wrong, though Intel is out to eat Qualcomm's lunch and put pressure on them.

>theverge
Do everyone a favor and kill yourself painfully.

Who ever thought AMD was a threat? Intel innovates, AMD copies. Life is good for all.

Not sure if bait

Oh, a reason for Intel to get competitive and blow ahead again. Wooh...

The thread should've 404ed at this point.

How did this thread get to this size without someone pointing out the blatantly obvious?

GEEKBENCH IS AWFUL FOR COMPARING ACROSS ARCHITECTURES AND ANYONE WITH MORE THAN TWO BRAIN CELLS KNOWS IT. The article is intentional clickbait.

>xXx420xXx MLG PRO GAMER OS
>imbedded

Lol wut

>MFW phones will kill the home PC

>Can't spell embedded
Don't give your opinion on topics you know nothing about.

Not for the future they want (just browsing Facebook and listening to Apple MusicTM)

Matlab is shit no matter how fast it runs

>Intel innovates, AMD copies.
Yeah, like when Intel made the 64 bit extension to x86 or when they integrated the memory controller or when Intel developed hypertransport or...

x86 must FUCKING DIE!

Just give me an ARM board with USB3

Fuck intel, fuck x86, fuck apple

What's a better alternative?

Good jewtel getting outjewd

IPython + Matplotlib + NumPy, of course