/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/thimbl/877090
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups#Example_adding_a_system_user
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreboot/2016-09/msg00052.html
fsf.org/news/free-software-foundation-statement
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
archwomen.org/
debian.org/women/
women.alioth.debian.org/
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Women
github.com/gvalkov/xrectsel
distrochooser.de/?l=2
makeuseof.com/tag/4-linux-music-players-that-deserve-your-attention-now/
xwinman.org/rc/fvwm2rc-loki
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Gentoo

Reminder that running -Syu is bad for your mental health.

am I ever going to get the same battery life with linux (ubuntu) as I do with w10?

I am offended by that image. Racist cis scum

Nope

Just installed arch.
Installation went well, but I cant login into normal users.
The only account that works fine is root. Anyone know a fix?

Create a new user?

install gentoo

Tried that a few times, but didnt help.

>"friendly"
>immediately posts an anti-Windows image
Let the trolling begin.

Try this
gist.github.com/thimbl/877090
Did the arch wiki delete stuff?

esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122
thoughts?

>I'm new, so I installed Arch
>Copy paste this code, it just werks

Priceless

You obviously didn't create one properly, otherwise it would work.
Creating one is 1 simple command.

It may be a stupid question, but can we ask Linux Foundation to pay companies to support all their products in Linux? If there was a specific donation button just for this, I would donate.

tldr

Poorly documented wiki
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups#Example_adding_a_system_user

>every distro has something that drags it down
>the only distros you really like are half-working toy distros

what's wrong with centos

install gentoo

>tfw Gentoo is dying
>tfw there will be no more good GNU/Linux distros left

alpine

RMS responded.

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreboot/2016-09/msg00052.html

I do all of my development in Visual Studio on Windows. I've used Ubuntu specifically for pretty much everything else for awhile. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can completely dev on Linux? I need something that can actually compete with Visual Studio. I've tried monodevelop but it doesn't seem as fully featured and lacks a proper dark theme (or any theme support?)

intelliJ products are all avalible on linux

>tfw even the fsf has problems with sjw

Reminder that there is no reason not to use LibreOffice for programming.

I can't say much against CentOS other than that RH products give me an uneasy feeling using them.

>poorly documented
>has plenty of examples
>has access to a manpage for everything else

No, your intelligence is poorly developed.

Name some of those things which "drag it down". Something is telling me you're one of those idiots who don't really know what constitutes a distribution.

old news, FSF also responded
fsf.org/news/free-software-foundation-statement

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they Java only? I should have specified, my development is mostly c# and c/c++.

>lacks a proper dark
Can't work without important features like this after all

Something is telling me you're an autistic faggot who seriously thinks I'm going to bother discussing with him on loaded terms

Maybe you guys can help me. I'm running debian 7.9 wheezy on my machine and they just updated iceweasel to firefox esr and for some reason it's bloated as fuck and laggy now. So I was trying to install the latest version of icecat from the tar.bz file of gnu.org but apparently it's not possible on my system.

Is there a work around for this or does it have to do with the fact its an old version of debian and doesn't have the packages/dependencies in the repo?

Name a good reason to install LibreOffice to begin with

In all seriousness, yes. I work 8 hours a day and eye strain is a serious issue when you're looking at highly contrasting colors. In Windows I've managed to get my entire development workflow as dark as possible.

>installed gentoo
>smooth sailing
>start to compile
>go to bed(sleep 8 standard hours)
>still compiling
>go to wok(work 8 standard hours)
>come home
>still compiling
>eat dinner (eat 2 standard hours)
>still compiling
>flip tower over
>Throw in X/Y/Z linux distro
>within 5 minutes i have working gui install

Yeah no, fuck this bullshit. There is no reason to use gentoo AT ALL.It wants you to spend all of your time compiling. Its CompileCraft

Enjoy your systemd infested botnet

No need to show us your gaping sphincter from the arch cock.

Wheezy is old stable, why would you even want to run it?
And yes, you probably lack the dependencies in the wheezy repos.

Compiling might take some time if you try it on an actual toaster

I like it and don't feel like upgrading just yet. shit like this is making me think I'm just an idiot though

oh well

I have a 7z archive which I am having trouble opening, when I try to open it with Ark it says The archive is empty or Ark could not open its contents. From the size I don't think it is empty so is there a way I can get the contents of it? I don't really know where to start troubleshooting this, I'm not getting much in the way of errors.

And you don't manage to do the same on Linux? Should be trivially easy

Also consider that you're not getting security patches from the security team anymore. Wheezy was turned over to the volunteers.

3.2ghz thuban 1090xt
Gentoo is the biggest meme i have unfortunately took part in

>Visual studio
Is it true that anyone can develop programs with this?
Even tech illiterate.

For everything except a good IDE. I just can't find one for c# and c++. The closest I've found was Mono Develop but it's lacking a lot of features (like theming and a dark theme, as I was saying)

7z x

seriously bro...

Are you 12? It's a code editor

Just as I expected, you don't know what the core features of a distribution are and your issues aren't distribution specific.

>he thinks useradd is an Arch linux specific thing

Useradd works the same on every distribution. It's part of the "shadow" package.

Yes, as I said I am not getting much in the way of errors:

>Error: Can not open file as archive

That is all 7z gives me.

Because you can use graphical interference to draw buttons and such.

How does passing arguments to a bash script work? I have a bash script, I am able to run it like $ pooscript "/path/to/file" and "/path/to/file" is stored in the variable $1. Got it.
Now I want to add optional parameters, so I can do $ pooscript "/path/to/file" -location "loo" -amount 20 etc. How do I access these?

Oh, I guess for front in stuff yeah you can. You still need to program what rhe buttons do. Honestly I've never used that part of it. For front end stuff I'm usually working in Unity, and for c++ it's always server side code.

Yeah I meant frontend.
The place I work in, paid 600$ for "program" that's just glorified calculator.
Is there anything for android?

look into getopts

I was using Windows 10 and today I replaced it with Manjaro. It feels great, and I love pacman an yaourt, but I really miss Visual Studio for C# and Windows programming.

>Manjaro
Don't run -Syu

Going to nuke Wangblows 7 off my netbook.
Is it better to setup the partitions first and install that way? Or is ok to do a "full" install too by skipping the partition schemes?

Why? Updates went fine so far, and I read that Manjaro is pretty stable.

>Windows programming.
But how would you use it without windows?

A few hours ago arch users got kernel panic after updating.
also
python > python 3.2

Virtualbox if I need something from Windows like testing.

I see, thanks.

[citation needed]
I updated on two computers with no issues.

>arch users
You mean some idiot on here who had no idea what he was doing.

>arch users
1 user isn't users

Also, what's Python 3.2 to do with Arch?

>no idea what he was doing
I really doubt that running -Syu require poirot level of intellect.

This picture offends me as a vegan transgender hipster Native-American-Indo-Chinese hybrid alien agnostic-atheist German engineer who vapes fairtrade organic decaffeinated compressed and hydrated extra-protein soy breast milk on the regular and does Hindi Kama Sutra naked crossfit yoga 5 times per week. I'm also a nonbinary trigender genderqueer male feminist and identify myself as a pastafarian pansexual genderfluid Apache helicopter dog of mega multi alpha beta gamma delta omega combo god of hyper death who's in a polygamous polyamorous relationship to the chihuahua which helped me cross the border of Mexico because it hates Donald Trump. My dog also walks me to the park and doggy styles me, if you find that weird you're an ignorant arrogant homophobic gender-assuming globaphobic bloodthirsty gun-loving cisgender pansexual bestial sexist racist incestuous white-previlege misogynistic biased objectified raped privileged Nazi slave owner terrorist lesbian.

Ignore him. He's most likely that idiot who doesn't understand the difference between the python2 and 3 interpreters and keeps blaming the distribution for his incompetence.

Apparently people can still fail at it.

>transgender
>not helicopter

>understand the difference between the python2 and 3 interpreters
What are you taking about?
The recent update made it so you have to use python 3.2 when you want to run python 3

I'm the python guy (not him) and dude, the devs already admitted it that linking to python3 instead of normal python2 will cause rage and problems. No need for you to tell people "it didn't happen." and that users that expect their stuff to work as usual are incompetent.

>he didn't roll back packages which were upgraded to verify that it was indeed the new package versions causing issues
>he didn't rule out other possibilities (him messing things up before the update, a different OS installed on the same drive messing up things, hardware errors, etc)

Yes, clearly the combination of letters which forms "pacman -Syu" is the cause of his problems.

How? unless if he was of those autistics that claims running -Syyu is better than -Syu.

Arch is a meme, when will people realize it? Get redpilled:
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

>you have to use python 3.2 when you want to run python 3

$ ~ python3
Python 3.5.2 (default, Jun 28 2016, 08:46:01)
[GCC 6.1.1 20160602] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

Are you still trying to see how much idiotic things you can spout before your idiocy kills you?

>roll back packages
>in kernel panic

Anyone?

>boot into arch installation CD
>chroot
>install old version from the package cache directory

Yes.

unlink /usr/bin/python
rm /usr/bin/python
ln -s /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python

Yay now you can STFU in every thread

Or
You
Know
dont use old a fuck scripts

For example by not watching the output for errors or info that configuration files did change and might require tweaking.
Or all the people in the forums asking how to solve conflicts.

delet this

Literally every distro is like this.
The devs do things how THEY want for THEIR distro.

>what is compatibility
>arch devs expect its users to fix things that come broken out of the box
enjoy your cuck distro lol

>Syu
>break
>chroot
>fix
>repeat
When will this meme die?
People should read the arch news before running -Syu

>broken
You using old as fuck scripts, and inability to handle change, is a bigger problem.
Why did we ever update HTML>HTML2>HTLM3>HTLM5?
Surely we didnt need that did we?

but

Hey, as a foreword: I've installed arch manually about 5 times in the past and I don't feel like mucking about with that again and making my own install script. So, I checked out arch-anywhere.

Is this recent? The download page is a 404.
Of course, I'm not going to bother downloading from untrusted sources without an MD5 check

>using a monospaced font for the UI
>having different fonts in the window titlebar and general UI

It's so uncomfortable.

>People should read the arch news before running -Syu
There was nothing on there since over a month.

You just don't get how it works user. Before python3 was released all scripts got the bang "python". When python3 was released, it got it's own: "python3".

How it works:
python should call python2, to be compatible to all programs written before python3
python2 should obviously link to python2
python3 should obviously link to python3

This is how every other distro does it, exept Arch (which points python to python3) and this is why it constantly breaks programs. Use a search engine and realize that people got A LOT of problems because of that, because it BREAKS all programs, written before python3 which include code that is not compatible to python3.

Friends, how do I install GPU nvidia drivers on debian (gnome)?

So again, dont use outdated scripts, and seeing how you've written all of them,updating them isnt an issue.

Did you bitch when python2 came out? And your iniabluity caused a mental breakdown?
And when python4 comes out?

Its bleeding edge using pervious versions, instead of fixing them, is the greater issue.if you dont want to change things, hop on over to ubuntu

Working as intended

>but but but muh forums
People unable to adapt

known issue.
kill it.

Go with the times, grandpa, python2 is legacy now.

What's fglt's opinion on Solus and or the Budgie desktop?
I wanted something more lightweight than Mint with Cinnamon, but that still provides a good desktop. Not really for performance's sake as much as battery life.
So far it seems to be doing well, but the lack of settings is killing me. For whatever reason I can't even change the shortcut for switching input layouts to Alt+Shift.
I'm also considering trying out the latest Fedora with Gnome, is Wayland more lightweight or will the lack of native programs (browsers other than Firefox afaik) negate any benefit?

Please read my post again. It's about linking python to python3, not about "using outdated things".

Daily reminder that women matter.
archwomen.org/

Please read my post again. Python2 is legacy, update your scripts already.

Find me a recent, properly conducted, objective comparison for battery usage between desktop environments.
Pro-tip: you can't and if you could the differences would be negligible.

see Why are Archfags unable to read?

kys

arch users are usually new to the whole thing, you can't blame them

Hourly reminder
debian.org/women/
women.alioth.debian.org/
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Women

Kys

"every other distro does it" isn't an argument.
The only point you'd have here is that the python devs suggested it, however they also suggest to use Python3 so if everyone'd follow that advice there would be no such problem in the first place.

>2016
>no decent frontend for ffmpeg for linux
Why there is this idea that if you use linux you need to use CLI?

What kind of monster gui do you want to make to include all those options you can give to ffmpeg?

Also, feel free to make one if it doesn't exist. If people want a gui for it they'll love you.

GUI are usually made for people who aren't into computers. The CLI is just more convenient for such tasks.

>include all those options
can be easily solved by adding a parameter option for all your qmax need

>CLI
And having your .bash_history filled with ffmpeg ..........

So manually typing in a set of words/numbers?
Well hot damn, sure sounds like a cli to me

To /dev/null it goes

Here how it works:

- Open vim, write a shell script "convert my shit" and add your custom, favorite ffmpeg settings.

- Never deal with ffmpeg again.

What do you use to recored your screen?

Anyone ever gotten CNN GO to work? I can livestream debates they host, but nothing else. Only on chrome, of course.

ffmpeg

invite only irc channel?

We all do.
Do you use script? or run ffmpeg grabx11 every time?

simplescreenrecorder

useradd -m -g users -G wheel -s /bin/bash username

Run ffmpeg every time
It's in my shell history so I just have to ^r, type x11g and done

I installed i3 but i cant open a terminal

alt enter

How long does it take to compile the Gentoo equivalent of Debian minimal on an average modern machine (mid-tier i5 with 8GB)?

Does not work, alt and enter do also not work, thats why im asking

My scrolling doesn't seem to be as smooth as it should be. How can I check/change what my refresh rate is set to in i3?

Not long at all.

alt d to open dmenu to type in the command to open
if that doesn't work, you're going to have to switch to edit the config file ~/.i3/config
or install dmenu

2 hotkeys here,

1st hotkey runs xrectsel to select a part of the screen, ffmpeg uses then the results to record the screen to .gif

2nd hotkey just kills ffmpeg

pretty comfy

that's an Xorg thing.

Why not writing your own script with notification?

try a different nick

Is there a way to change degraded (yellow) and bad (red) colors in i3blocks like in i3status?
I read the man page and this isn't mentioned at all (it's mentioned in the i3status man page).
I tried setting color_bad, but it gave me an error.

Care to share the script?

there are specific names specified in the docs.

needs:
- github.com/gvalkov/xrectsel
- ImageMagick (convert)
- ffmpeg
and xdotool (only for quickly moving the mouse out of the way)

xbindkeysrc:
# ffmpeg-record: start
"ffmpeg -f x11grab $(xrectsel -g -s dash -b '#dddddd' -f '-s %wx%h -i :0.0+%x,%y'; xdotool mousemove 0 0) -r 10 -c:v flags=lanczos -f image2pipe -c:v ppm - | convert -layers OptimizePlus -delay 10 - -loop 0 ~/.scrots/.ffmpeg_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).gif"
Mod4 + comma + Release

# ffmpeg-record: stop
"pkill ffmpeg"
Mod4 + period + Release

sample result

>gif

Well, good enough for short things.

I honestly don't see them.
They don't mention it at all in the i3blocks man page.

Nope, I still get kicked by ChanServ "Invite only channel"

REMOVE the faggot "flt" link from the OP, it's only a link to "sqt" channel anyway, also nobody ITT is using it.

I like the Deepin video player, how can I go about installing it on another distro (ubuntu)?
There's a ppa but the version there is outdated. Can I add the default deepin repository or something like that?

I'd like to create a 30MB temporary partition entirely in RAM so I can run some commands that do a lot of file I/O in there. How do I do that?

tmpfs

mkdir -p /media/nameme

mount -t tmpfs -o size=38M tmpfs /media/nameme/

>tmpfs
use ramfs

Given that I heard Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't support proprietary AMD drivers (I happen to have one of those GPUs that's not supported by AMDGPU drivers just -yet- but apparently will), which distro would you recommend that's fairly similar these days?

thanks

Thank you!

Die in a fire, turbonigerlordfagboss

>ramfs
Why exactly?

I installed i3 on Debian 8.0 Jessie. When i try to open a terminal with win+enter or alt+enter nothing happens. What am i doing wrong ? Do i have to install other i3 packages ?

How do I get over the feeling that an install on a VM is just a toy? It's completely irrational but I can't get over it.

Ramfs will grow dynamically

>install ubanto 16.04
>shit is extremely choppy and slow
>read up some guide on how to manually install nvidia drivers using ctrl + alt + f1 or some shit
>follow steps, fixes slowness, everything seems great
>try to install and play some games
>steam runs but games don't
>switch over to open source video driver and try
>steam won't start
>switch back
>shits still broken

wat do? pic related.

check archwiki

Just as tmpfs?

You read all of those errors and you google them, as they are LITERALLY telling you what is wrong.
Ill give you a hint
dri=drivers

no.

The difference is that ramfs will crash your system if it grows too large, and tmpfs won't (unless you have no swap)

distrochooser.de/?l=2
sup /fglt/, I saw this website in another thread What do you guys think of it? I think it can be very useful for /fglt/ for anons asking what distro they should try out.

>too large
Is this 1996?

>steam runs but games don't
Why would you start with shitty steam and not run some game that runs natively without that shit first?

>switch over to open source video driver and try
And why would you even try that? Doesn't make sense.

Steam is 32-bit, you probably need multi-arch for it

>and tmpfs won't (unless you have no swap)
>builds large binaries in tmpfs
>kernel handles ram properly and there is no issue when reaches 99% use.
Git gud

In the case that you won't fill out your ram there is no difference between ramfs and tmpfs (except that you can see tmpfs in df, which is nice)

It listed the top 4 distros i have ever used in correct order

Cool. What were the four distros?

slack>debain>fedora>arch

>debian
>drivers
Try again

Exactly what does ubuntu being the most supported by steam and vidya mean for trying to game on, say, arch?
I'd like to know what differences would cause compatibility issues in this manner, and how many, if any really.
So, basically, what to look out for if Im to play vidya on arch/whether I should just install debian instead in the case of games, even if I Like the AUR and pacman and stuff.

It's a meme. All distros are the same GNU/Linux.
All distros are supported in the same way.
A game that runs on Ubuntu also runs on, whatever, slackware.

What file manager do you use? I just use caja because it came with mate, but are there better alternatives?

Nigga when you try to *run* steam on arch you cant do it till you install some outdated libraries ubuntu uses, there are clearly at least a few differences that can cause issues.
I Think dolphin is sweet.

Nemo

Antergos or Manjaro?

I'd say Antergos

Recently installed an 'you-bun-doh' on my PC computer. I'm looking for a music player with a cool visualizer effects.

Only retards use FMs, use the terminal like human being.

>he thinks you can't use a fm from a terminal

Unity doesn't let you move the fucking max/min/close button to the right. It's user unfriendly and into the trash it goes.

That being said, what's the best *buntu? Kubuntu is an absolute mess so that's out. Only thing left is Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu.

If i mount /home on a different partition than root, would my settings then be transferrable if i switch distros?

Use Manjaro, Antergos is just a installer for Arch that rebrands everything with it's own logo so you get all the breakage and retardness of plain Arch while Manjaro does it's own thing.

Settings for what? Any settings stored in home will be.

ranger is a nice toy, but not useful
running commands directly is much faster

makeuseof.com/tag/4-linux-music-players-that-deserve-your-attention-now/

i thought this was gnome lol

So I'm trying out some fvwm2 configs and this one line is giving me problems.
>"I" exec xv -root -quit /usr/lib/X11/bg/back39.jpg
I know that I don't have the image back39.jpg for the background, but what is happening with the rest of it?

tfw after you type:

vi ~

Forgot link
xwinman.org/rc/fvwm2rc-loki

so for example, settings for a WM. even if i change distros, as long as i use the same WM, those settings would still work?

I like seeing previews of my images and being able to click on an episode of an anime rather than copypaste its name or reorganize the naming for every torrent with a bad naming scheme. FMs are

It gave me a 93% match with Debian, which is my current distro of choice, and many of the top matches were distros that I've tried in the past because they seemed interesting to me.

I say put this shit in the OP, else I'm going to save the link and refer people to if when I see the question come up.

either you didn't make a new user (useradd -m username) or you didn't set a password for it (passwd username)

>watching anime
grow up kid

spacefm

>mfw ranger
>muh cli file manager
>mfw you cant look at video or pictures in a terminal
This is how literally retarded you fags sound

How can I extract a subtitles from a DVD in Debian?

i got a thinkpad x230. what distro should i install to be an independent computer user who don't need no man? (practicality/learning purposes)

You just don't have your Vim configured with fancy plugins. You can more or less operate Vim as a file manager with the built-in netrw plugin alone, but it is a bit clunky.

distrochooser.de/?l=2
Just answer the questions and you'll get the general idea of what distro is best for you.

How do I make Vim into an c/c++ IDE? I heard it could be done but don't know how

>Linux
>not GNU/Linux
dropped

Not everyone is as autistic as stallman user.

i used to think ffmpeg could do with a gui
after trying the available guis and struggling with them (they're all very limited)
i finally bothered to just learn to use ffmpeg itself
once i got the hang of it i realized it's just not suited to being converted into a gui, which is why the guis are all limiting

see

What's the general feeling towards Mageia? I've never really given a second look so I know almost nothing about it.

-- oh, i will say though, if there ever will be a good ffmpeg gui, it'll have to be some kind of filter graph, like pic related

ffmpeg

literally any

is there a windows manager that is powerful, but it's config file is simple? I've been trying to rice a few other WMs, but it's giving me a headache with fighting it.

Install tlp/powertop and use something like dwm with no compositor and try. If you are on intel graphics it will probably be longer.

i3

Define powerful and simple.

Simple as in I can read anyone elses config file and not get a headache trying to modify it as I see fit.

So I just finished installing Arch Linux on my Thinkpad x230 and I'm getting some pretty abysmal upload rates through my network peaking at 15mb/s.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

fluxbox
plain text config

To add on to this post, it keeps peaking, then dropping to around 1mb/s or less sometimes up to 4 then it'll come back up to 14 and come back down. I don't know if this happens in Windows yet but I will definitely be finding out tonight.

Wow, reading through those mails physically pains me. How can an intelligent person be so stupid?

Thank you. I'll give both a try. I think I tried them both once at one point, I'll try them again.

>How can an intelligent person be so stupid?
She's intelligent when it comes to kernels and computers, but not when it comes to this issue. Simple as that. People are imperfect and fallible even if they're incredibly smart and well practiced in whatever they do.

so ive been screaming at my monitor for likr 5 hours trying to install linux mint, which it wont let me because xserver refuses to start and trying like 40 different solutions i found on various websites and forums

is there another noob friendly distro that doesnt need that shit?

>transphobic
Christ, I hope "she" dies in a fire. What a retard.

anything but mint
your drivers most likely are not installed

your preferred desktop flavor of fedora?
or ubuntu?

ubuntu

it seems like it doesnt get along with my nvidia gtx 970 card

i thought ubuntu was a meme

>i thought ubuntu was a meme
No, ubuntu is a good distro, designed for anyone and everyone so it should cover your issues.
Maybe you shouldn't listen so much to bullshit on Cred Forums.

Serious question: what should I do instead?

What the hell even is bedrock linux?

>implying mint isn't a meme

alright thanks, nothing is fucking worse than windows 10 anyway

Using a 970 and 370.28

remove all xf86 drivers and start again with just nvidia,nvidia-utils

Serious answer: ignore the troll.

I posted this in another thread, but I think more people will see it here...

I used Ubuntu for a few months, until Windows 10 corrupted the other partition and I couldn't get the system to start at all. But I still want to use some Linux distribution.I mean, after I started using Ubuntu I noticed the battery on my laptop has its wear level increased, so I started getting paranoid about ubuntu's battery management. Anyway, I'm thinking about trying Debian, because I want to immerse myself a little more into terminal commands... Is that a good idea?

>I'm thinking about trying Debian, because I want to immerse myself a little more into terminal commands... Is that a good idea?
No.
Don't get me wrong, Debian is fine, but your reasoning is just plain retarded.

Ubuntu is great server distro and a great beginner distro. People find it as beginners, outgrow it, and then maybe rediscover it when it comes time to choose a server distro.

It just works, but it has to jump through some hoops to accomplish that. As a result, it's not great for people who want to push their daily use machines to the limit (see arch/gentoo users.) Not that you can't. It's just not what it's made for.

It makes some things harder than in 'hard' distros, I hear, and people don't like canonical.
Its just a noob distro though.
Install a flavor of it though, unity is gross. KDE is pretty windows like but plasmashell will crash and albiet quickly restart itself constantly.
Mate and XFCE are pretty well liked, I think.

That's what I figured. Been using arch as my daily driver for a year now, and have yet to be fucked by -Syu

Also checked

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>unironically using arch
what is wrong with you

Not him but what's wrong with Arch?

same, except for 4 years
didn't even feel the systemd switchover, smooth as

It's a meme. It's bloated and broken.

only edgy teens use arch
>look mom, I installed the distro without installer
>I'm a hacker now :DDDD

Dwm

Well, it's not that hard. Just ~10 commands, setup file system, etc. Even retards can copypaste them from the wiki (as every /fglt/ shows).

I want to copy my hexchat preferences from a windows machine to linux.
Is the proper method to just grab the hexchat folder in %appdata% and drop it in ~/ or do I need to rename it .hexchat?

see

'Only someone trying to look a certain way would use THAT, immature faggot!' is literally no better than using a certain distro to try and pretend to be/have a certain style.
It is, in fact, literally exactly the same shit, just one layer of meta removed.
Kill yourself.

>Hexchat
Just use weechat.

If Arch is meant to be simple, why is there no simple installer? :^)

>Bloated
Doesn't even come with X-org. Are you autistic?

And what's wrong with Arch again?

Its meant to be simple for the developers. Simple for them means not making an installer.

~/.config/hexchat/

just look in both to see how it's laid out, and match it

for example, if the windows one has something like;
%appdata%\hexchat\hexchat.conf
and linux is
~/.config/hexchat/hexchat.conf
then you want to move the files from "%appdata%\hexchat\*" to "~/.config/hexchat/"

it's simple for the devs, not for the users
>Doesn't even come with X-org. Are you autistic?
compare debian and arch packages
hint: arch packages are bloated
it may come blank, but with every package you install, you bloat your system up

'Fewer elements the user sees and interacts with' is more complex, its not 'fewer actual elements.' As others have said,
Regardless, I don't even use arch. I use ubuntu. Because I don't reject a certain distro because of pretentious shithead preconceptions about what kind of person would use it, and therfore I should/shouldn't.

>I use ubuntu. Because I don't reject a certain distro because of pretentious shithead preconceptions about what kind of person would use it, and therfore I should/shouldn't.
the same could be said of arch, or fedora, or gentoo, or every other distro, really
hell, even about windows and osx

Thanks this worked, Had the right idea but wrong location.

>it may come blank, but with every package you install, you bloat your system up
It's the other way around.

Go install smplayer or screenfetch. Debian will install smplayer themes and scrot for you

>It's a stupid debibabby
No wonder your post sounds like autism

Windows and OSX have very serious reasons not to be used other than
>Haha windows babby!!
>Haha macs r 4 geys!!
Anyways, yes, it could be for arch. Obviously thats not the SOLE AND ONLY reason. The specific reasons ubuntu looked nice to me aren't relevant here though, not rejecting it because of that is.

>hell, even about windows and osx
bitch please, get this proprietary spying shit out of the discussion

not even using debian, fellow memer, it was just an example, if you insist, compare fedora packages

They are put as recommendations for the install and aren't required. You can set it to not install recommended packages or set it as an option when installing.

You can do the same with pacman.

0/10

calm down guys, i'm not suggesting that's the only reason for these systems

i bet it's that gnome-core retard, just ignore him

>aren't required.
>installs anyway
Bloated: the definition

>he can't use a package manager

Typical Arch user. Unable to read manpages...

>His package repo is bloated

Get redpilled, Archcucks.

1. >lol so bloated
2. Your package manager is bloated. Proof: go install this
3. >lol u can set them not to install bloats
4. You can do the same with every other distros
5. >lol u can't read shitty useless manpages

Debibabbies are very good at mental gymnastics. No wonder the userbase is infested with SJWs

>Muh voting
>Muh social justice
>Muh unsupported page from the wiki

You forgot your autism hat, neckbeard

this isn't news, you know

I dont see how this is relevent and being memed
EVERY other distro does the same shit. The devs make THEIR distro in to what THEY want. If users dont like, they fork, which is why we have so many fragmented distros that dont go anywhere

>dev admints the whole arch philosophy is a meme
>dev admits packages are bloated
>random user is buttmad, has no arguments, calls autism
priceless

>Dev says arch philosophy is a meme
Where. All I see is Arch is being simple

Retard

As an arch user, that doesn't bother me at all.
Also, that shit was already spammed here when it was posted.

>Voting systems
*tips fedora*
So debian isn't using systemd? Colour me surprised

People who use distro X will defend distro X, no matter what you tell them.
It's that easy. Same with Windows users. Tell them they are spied on, and they will call you lincuck.

>LE ANTI-SYSTEMD MEME XDDDDDD

Get the fuck out

>dev admits
>dev admits
I got a better one for dev admits

Why do you derailing this into an Debian vs Arch fight? Nobody said "Debian is better, drop Arch!"

see (probably the same memer)

Picture clearly states that "debian got muh voting" so yeah.

So what distro should I drop Arch for again?

It also says things about Gentoo, but I see no Gentoo hate here.

like with any OS, the devs will do what they want to do
the arch devs prefer to focus on what /they/ want, which is perfectly fine, they're allowed to do so

others like debian prefer to get feedback from their users to direct the project, that's also fine, they are allowed to do that

no one way is more 'correct' than the other

Gentoo is actually better but it's massive time sink.

Also Gentoo also has systemd

>which is perfectly fine
as long as it doesn't break things (like python)
then arch should be considered broken and nobody should use it

python hasn't broken for me

I never really had any problems with it, honestly

>breaking python
>using an OUTDATED VERSION
>UNABLE to update scripts to reflect changes

Why is this even a thing?
Do you faggots not know how to use 'ln'?

see Also, users shouldn't need to fix things that are broken after a fresh install.

>amd drivers
>intel drivers
>broadcom drivers
Yeah
Sure thing kid

this
you're stupid, it's not about outdated scripts, python scripts are ALWAYS linked to python2, except python3 scripts, which have it's own link to python3

learn2tech newfag

So how do I get javadoc generation working on eclipse on fedora? I know I have to install the openjdk javadoc package, but then what? Where do I find the appropriate javadoc command?

I'm done. What distro should I use instead of Arch? I want: Up-to-date packages and a working distro.

Again
Why did the devs decide to create version 3?
They created it, to do things that were not possible in python or python2

Are you using linux kernel 0.1?
Surely thats all you need

>l2tech
>unlink /usr/bin/python
>ln -s /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python

It isnt a shitty centos distro.
When new things come out, it is upgraded as it should be.If you're retarded and cannot update your scripts, and if the dev is retarded and cannot update his scripts, this isnt a distro issue, it is a user issue

openSUSE Tumbleweed

Unless you want to literally spend all of y our time updating gentoo every day.
None

Arch itself

Try void

Will Ubuntu MATE or the Fedora MATE+Compiz spin have the same problems as Mint regarding security updates?

Also why gentoo and not funtoo?

This
Someone has to do it first to force developers to adopt 3.x standards, if your so pissed about it in your .bashrc just make an alias python='python2' and be done with it

>void
Of packages

Made a new one

>Python is a widly used language and many programs are written in it, packaged and in every distros repos.

So the devs update the scripts, which are then propagated to the users?
How can you be this retarded
You're blaming a DISTRO instead of UPSTREAM inadequacies

>default way,
Explain why V2 exist then?

Till you do, you have no valid arguments, and you will be discarded by everyone

Ubuntu wont install either

I'm just gonna stop using my computer

Can any fedorafags help me?