/cct/ - Career and Cert Thread General

What are you working towards? Need advice? Share your study resources!

Post it in here

If you've got a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location

If I've run distros on virtualbox can I list virtualization in my resume?

Customer Service in retail
1 year of volunteer IT work
A+, working on Network plus next
$12 an hour

Anybody here have experience with vmware certs?

If I've been resetting routers since I was 10 yo, can I say I have (my_age minus 10) years of networking experience?

You can, but I wouldn't. What if you actually get quizzed on virtualization?

not him, but what If I say something like "installing a configuring consumer grade routers"? "installing and configuring custom router firmware"?

not in so many words but you get the idea.

That sounds like a good way to put it

I'm not sure I'd be specific like that. I'd tend to lean to be very general if you don't have much experience. Something along the lines of Installing and configuring home network equipment maybe?

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish famalam.

help desk or computer repair shop. (doing either repairs, refurbishment, or recycling)

imo the problem with that is someone could read that and say "oh he can plug in a router and mess with some settings". when I want them to hear "he installed his own router firmware (ddwrt) and customized it moderately".

Just trying to get the best chance in my resume as possible because I don't have a college degree so I HAVE to put what I know on it.

If you're shooting for something like than then yeah I think you're on the right track especially if no experience and no degree.

I just remind anons to not put something on there unless you can reasonably back it up. I have seen people get interviewed and discarded because they were less than honest about their skills during the interview.

Honestly I'm too big a pussy to lie.

Here's the relevant section of my resume, I haven't edited it in a few months, I'm going to trim some stuff out and make it clearer.

"Basic to intermediate knowledge of:

Operating Systems: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10. Linux, Including Ubuntu, Debian, and Raspberry Pi “Raspbian”. Mac OS X. Android 4.0 - 7.0. iOS 4.0 - 10.0.
Networking: VLAN configuration, IPv4 subnetting, port forwarding/filtering, 802.11 standards, SOHO installation including custom software installation (dd-wrt), router configuration and basic security, QoS.
Hardware: Desktop, Laptop, and Mobile device troubleshooting, Printer troubleshooting, Ethernet CAT 5/6 and Coaxial installation, network hardware and device troubleshooting, Raspberry Pi web server and DNS server.
Software: Virtualbox, Remote Desktop, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, TronScript virus/malware removal, Command Prompt Troubleshooting (sfc, chkdsk, diskpart), various Windows utilities (Event Viewer, Device Manager, System Restore)."

The networking section probably needs to be changed the most imo. I have a few things I can add since I made this too. Twice since I've made this I've taken apart laptops and replaced the hard drive, formatted, partitioned, and installed OSs. and though I'm not going to add this I spent all day friday trying to fix a mac I fucked up (deleted recovery partition because I'm a moron). Most people would have went to the genius bar but I eventually (12PM to 2:30AM with a 5 hour break in the middle) fixed it and it's working great now.

I think you can get a helpdesk job fairly easily. Do you have the ability to get a A+ or Net+ cert?

I'd just apply to every type of helpdesk job that you see that might just be a SLIGHT stretch of your abilities. Once you get that first year of work experience it gets much easier.

Yeah I'm doing the second part of the A+ test on the 10th. Honestly I'm just hugely lazy person, the first test I took April 1st. I finally decided that I have to schedule it or I'll never make time to learn the content. After that Net+.

I'm lazy as fuck too. I just want a comfy IT job that makes decent money. Any tips? Maybe work at night too

bump I want a comfy job too

>bought this
>calculate worst case scenario how long it will take me to study all of it nicely
>6 months
Holy shit 6 months is half a year, does it really take that long or am I slow as fuck?

I want a networking job so bad. There's just something comfy about configuring network devices and playing around with cables that I like.

Keep in mind that I currently work full-time so this stuff will take over all of my freetime... already sold all PS3 games.

6 months sounds right if you are actually coming from 0 experience and are really learning the material

>Job Title
Network Admin
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
A+, Net+, Sec+, CCNA R&S
Employer website
>Pay
>Location
Bagram, Afghanistan

Is it possible for a civilian to get a job like that?

As a Network Admin? Sure.

The same pay? Mostly likely not.

>Job Title
IT Help Desk I
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Graduated December 2013B.S. IT/none
I applied while working at a previous help desk job
>Pay
$19.71/hr, or $41/k year
>Location
Midwest region

>Bagram, Afghanistan
How long do you have to stay there though?

Generally each contract is at least one year, sometimes you can find 6 month gigs.

I assume you're also civ and got a clearance to work for DoD. Didn't know pay was that high.

Do you live on base? Do you work a shit ton of hours?

I was curious about doing overseas contract work in nicer countries like Korea or Germany etc.