Really need help

I recently acquired and older MacBook from my mother. I am trying to wipe it and reset it to factory. Apparently, it is locked by the school district she works for. I want to know how to get around that, and take it back to factory settings. You can choose to believe me or not, but this is not an illegal/stolen device. The school district has zero interest anymore in this old Mac, but they also do not know the admin username and password to reset it. We asked. My sister is overseas in the military, and her husband (also in the military) was just killed. I really need a computer to Skype with her and use Facebook. Both things are locked in this Mac. Is there a way to wipe this machine, kosher or not, so I can use it? I'm desperate.

From OP

Explanation: I recently punched my computer in the screen. When I heard about my sister's husband. Thusly why I need to use this Mac.

Fuck off Jamal

Bump, please

Sounds like this was not the place to go. I apologize.

Press Command + R at boot to enter Recovery Mode.
Select Disk Utility from the main menu.
Delete all partitions on the hard disk.
Return to the main menu and install OS X.

Alternatively, you can just reset an existing account by going to the Terminal and entering the command "resetpassword."

This.

Also, lurk moar, newfag.
/thread

Tried the Command R at boot. Either the school district that set up the Mac disabled the ability to do it, or I'm doing something wrong. I don't think I am. I know PCs, but I am lost on Macs, where is the Terminal?

I'm so ok with you guys calling me whatever kind of fag you want. As long as I get this to work. If you can't tell, it's a really shitty time my families lives.

Maybe they deleted the Apple Recovery partition. You could install a Linux distro like Ubuntu or even Arch Linux just to access the command line, use cfdisk -l to view your partitions to see what you have to do next. Or just install the Linux with the Live CD. You'd have to be able to follow directions to the detail to learn how to make the Live CD on another computer.

Hold Command + R during boot.

Unless the school set a firmware password, it should be able to enter the Recovery Mode.

If not, there is also Internet Recovery Mode: hold Command + Option/Alt + R. This boots Recovery Mode from Apple's servers. If you're not connected to the Internet via Ethernet, it will ask you to connect via Wi-Fi.

The Terminal is in the Utilities menu of Recovery Mode.

The Utilities menu is in the menu bar up top.

Just tried to reset the password in the Terminal. I get a 'command not found' response. Then it goes back to 'ESS-Student" command line. I'm thinking there is hardcore firmware set up on here. Probably a lost cause?

Tried Command + Option + R. I just get the denied Mac sound. Oh well. Guess I will be taking a trip to Best Buy tomorrow

Did you end up using Internet Recovery Mode?

Make sure you type "resetpassword" all together without the quotation marks, then press the Enter/Return key.

You sure you're doing all this at boot (same time that the startup chime is played) and not after the OS has finished loading?

Tried Command, R and Command, Option, R. I am pressing those keys simultaneously with the chime (grey screen) right before the apple logo appears. I think one of the earlier posters was correct, the recovery partition is not accessible. Without some sketch illegal software, I'm thinking resetting this Mac is not possible. I really do appreciate all the help you guys have provided.

There used to be a way to set the admin account to a blank password (no password) using Open Firmware.

Let me know if you find it. I've been trying to find it again for almost seven years now.

He said he's using a MacBook, which is exclusively Intel-based, so there's no Open Firmware. It's all UEFI.

> trip to Best Buy

Geek Squad agent here. Don't bother. We can't do anything more for you than what these Cred Forumsentoomen already taught you how to do. Unless you're planning on running some open-source program to crack open the firmware safeguards the school put in place, the macbook is fucked.

Haha no, planning on just buying a new comp. A PC specifically. Macs are an ignigma in my mind. My father works for HP, and minored in CS, all focused on PCs. I was hoping to have to avoid the cost. But after just attempting to get into the guts of this Mac, I'm convinced I never want to own one anyway.

and I minored in CS*