NAS drives

How badly do you get screwed buying a NAS enclosure(2/4 bay)?
How shitty is a NAS?(terribly unresponsive shitty ARM/Atom processors) Newegg's ratings on them average 3 stars or less, whereas the same ones are 4.5 stars on Amazon. I think I'd rather trust the Newegg reviewers then Amazon's non-techies.
I want to get a 4 bay, and be as close to future proofed as possible(4k ability I guess), but $600 without any HDD's? Are you fucking kiddding me? Sell me this fucking pen.

I've had my eye slightly open for these for like 2 years, is there a paradigm shift in sight at all? A new go-to processor that'll drop the price, new models released at a certain time of the year, any tips and tricks to drop the price? Is building your own(installing Linux or whatever) at all worth looking into compared to prebuilt solutions?

Should I just get a ~$150 model 2 bay for the time being?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xMGcHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/QyWFsJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/Z3wdHN
electrodacus.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just make one yourself with an old pc

But how?

That's more expensive on an electrical cost point, plus bigger. I don't plan on deprecating my current PC for another 2-3 years at least, and I'd like to stop using it as a server for whatever stupid reason is in my head.

>Install Linux
>Set up your drives
>Set up network sharing
done

Fucking build one.
Cheaper. 16-32 drives. Same price.
Good to have a laser cutter around to make a custom case though.

What kind of hardware would you recommend for that many drives? Most motherboards have 8 sata ports at best, should you just fill all the pcie slots with sata cards or what?

Ok price us one up then.

Are there DIY options that actually have hot swappable drives tho?

Find a used server on eBay, install FreeNAS on it. Make sure it has at least 8 gigs of ECC memory (preferably 16-32). If you are going to use encryption make sure the processor supports AES-NI.

>I think I'd rather trust the Newegg reviewers
Reviewers on Newegg are possibly more retarded than Amazon.

How's this build? $1300 for 15 TB

I won't disagree, but as a self selected group, Newegg users are the people I'd trust before the entire mass of Amazon users, even ones buying NAS.

Derp pcpartpicker.com/list/xMGcHN

>200 for mobo
>200 for CPU

You can get a used server with 2 4-core Intel xeons for that price. And you need ECC memory if you love your data.

I have qnap-431. It's easy to setup but it's really hard to do anything more than you can do from the web interface.

pcpartpicker.com/list/QyWFsJ

there's a start for you:
- 6Tb of storage
- 8Gb of memory
- 3 more SATA ports for further storage
- 3 free DIMMS for more memory
- under $400US

or for $450, ECC support:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Z3wdHN

Il look like mine,
Il have build my own nas serveur for samba share, nfs, ftp, and owncloud. It's à AMD apu powered, in fractal node304
No noise

For fucks sake user, Google this shit you overprivilged manchild

PCIe raid controllers, yes.

Why do you need so much RAM for NAS?

Oh ok but how do I do that?

RAM is cheap so might as well buy 8 instead of 4 if you change usage of the hardware. if you decide to deploy unraid or a plex media server later, it's recommended you have 8Gb of RAM as an example.

A 4 SAS port (16 SATA port) PCI-e raid card.
The ones I got are something like $120, the drivers are a bitch to find but they work flawlessly.
Any mobo, CPU, RAM.
I work at a school so I design my own enclosures to custom fit the hardware I want.
I'm not saying most people can do it, but it's what I do and it sure as fuck works for me.
Don't even need to look, it's shit.
2x 8TB drives for $350 each. A case for $20. An all-in-one passivly cooled mobo, $50. Ram, $20, a PSU, $80.

Does that CPU/motherboard actually support ECC?

>2x 8TB
>No redundancy
>Lose 8TB of data at once
You're shit.

>what is raid1

>$700 for 8TB of storage
>vs $600 for 15TB of storage using one redundant disk

didn't look at the price, nor am a familiar with current hdd prices

just pointing out that you can have redundancy with 2 drives

Storage has a tendency to expand. Have more bays than you currently use.

Up to 4 bays you probably want a pre-made one if you don't know your computers.

And waste a lot of space, yes. Large drives are stupid. You know what RAID stands for? Redundant array of INEXPENSIVE disks. Buying 8TB drives is retarded when you can buy 4x2TB drives. (Also, the larger the drives, the longer it'll take to rebuild the RAID).

just stop, i only commented about your "no redundancy" statement, i have not said anything about whether getting few expensive disks is a good idea

> Buying 8TB drives is retarded when you can buy 4x2TB drives.
Not really. You have the power cost of drives running 24/7 and the cost of the slots themselves to consider. Plus maybe the cost of cooling the room, if you do that.

Probably going to be less expensive to use like 6-8TB drives now than 2TB drives.

At least buy 4TB drives, 2TB is a waste of space/power as other user said.

>power cost of drives running 24/7
hdd's don't use much power when idling (typically cost of cooling the room
you'd need a lot of hdd's to even consider room temperature as a factor with hdd purchasing

Just get an HP Microserver.

>hdd's don't use much power when idling (typically you'd need a lot of hdd's to even consider room temperature as a factor with hdd purchasing
So you are gonna build an external air or passively cooled storage shed appendix to your climate controlled home where the server is located in?

No. Fuckoff HP marketer.

>Still costs you like $5/year. Maybe $8 if your power is closer to 20 cent per kWh.
damn that's cheap, mine's 38c/kWh

Sorry to hear that. We kinda have lots of hydro and nuclear here, plus now solar - so prices aren't that high.

Then again I think in a good number of places in the USA, coal also is making power cheap.

Either way, even on fairly low power costs, you'll probably end up preferring >2GB if you run the numbers.

Are you seriously in America and not Germany or some shit?

ausfailia

yes and yes

Ah, was confused by the c.

Guess what I pay in 'Merica?
12c/kwh USD. Looks like that's ~16c/kwh AUS. :P

Can't you get some solar panels or something to lighten your costs(if homeowner)?

>Can't you get some solar panels or something to lighten your costs(if homeowner)?
currently planning to build a new home, solar panels is definitely on the list, in fact, i'm even considering going full solar
batteries for such a system may be expensive, but considering how much grid power is, they'll likely pay for themselves reasonably quickly

Warm water solar is something you should start with, it's the "easy" part.

>full solar
>batteries for such a system may be expensive
Cheaper with LiFePO4 and something like this:
electrodacus.com

>Warm water solar is something you should start with, it's the "easy" part.
everyone does that already in australia

thanks for the link, btw, interesting stuff
i've done more lead-acid research thus far, but this brings up some pretty convincing points about lifepo4

>2x 8TB drives for $350 each. A case for $20. An a
Could you spec one out on PCPP. Guides to setting up OS where?

forget about nas.
8x 1tb w/ raid 10 on your desktop pc is the best solution at the moment.
4tb space
800+ mbps read-write speed
redundancy
best value
you can share over network with no cpu interrupt impact with a raid card
4 second boot time
bitches love it
you wont even need to index your hdd
you wont even need cace, you are the cache
you dont even need ram, you are the ram
hdd is literally your L4 cache
your hdd stack is faster than any of your friends' ssd (unless they raid0'd them which they wont)
you can yolo and raid0 and keep the whole 8gb space
it's so fast that you wont know what to do with the monster

Been a while since I visited, I guess.

The fixed internet connection deals are still terrible though, right...? No uncapped 500MBit/s + 50MBit/s for $80 or less?

Ya, it is probably the far more interesting option if you can get dem batteries and electronics together.

>8TB drives
>Expensive
Nigga they cheapest $ per TB.

>The fixed internet connection deals are still terrible though, right...? No uncapped 500MBit/s + 50MBit/s for $80 or less?
For $80 you get uncapped ADSL2+.
Maximum throughput 30GB/Day

>How the fuck can a battery hold that mu...
>Weight: 335kg
FUCK

I don't think they're too bad, depending on your use for them.

I was gifted a 2-bay Synology NAS and it's worked pretty perfectly for the last 3 years. Use it for photo, movie, music storage.

I'd wager you'd do better economically/performance wise by just putting together a low power PC with some HDDs and Linux.

>The fixed internet connection deals are still terrible though, right...? No uncapped 500MBit/s + 50MBit/s for $80 or less?
uncapped? sure
speed? haha. no.

i pay that for unlimited adsl2 (15/0.8)

at least our unlimited actually means it

>uncapped ADSL2+
So... 20Mbit/2Mbit or something? Ya, that's how I remember 'straya.

Sure. Well, there are smaller models, but if you have a whole off-grid house.

And Lead chemistry batteries will be heavier.

Ya, that's unlimited here, though they will shave off like 10-20% with bandwidth scheduling during peak hours if you are on a home plan rather than a dedicated line.

Around 18+h you got full speeds though.

>So... 20Mbit/2Mbit or something? Ya, that's how I remember 'straya.
adsl2+M is the highest, and tops out at 24/3.3, but that only applies if your house is right next to a DSLAM, the speed you can get drops off significantly the further away you are, thanks to utilising "good old" telephone copper, which is often in shit condition

>they will shave off like 10-20% with bandwidth scheduling during peak hours if you are on a home plan rather than a dedicated line.
at least in my case i can get that speed all the time, only sometimes will it drop, and half the time it's due to rain fucking with the shitty underground telephone wires

I always wondered why fixing this nonsense wasn't a national political issue...

> half the time it's due to rain fucking with the shitty underground telephone wires
All the related wires (from power lines to TV copper + extra glass fiber by the telcos) are underground here as well.

But rain doesn't interrupt anything... 'cause why should it?

>All the related wires (from power lines to TV copper + extra glass fiber by the telcos) are underground here as well.
yea, but don't you use nice, thick, shielded coax cable for your TV and internets?
our tv is terrestrial (over the air UHF)

>20Mbit/2Mbit
Fuck off. Try 3.2/0.24

> yea, but don't you use nice, thick, shielded coax cable for your TV and internets?
The nice thick copper cables were for TV and the TV companies' internets (500/50 is that).

Household telephone and internets are mostly glass fiber cables now (separate companies, I could get symmetrical 1Gbit internet at ~$70 per month if I cared to switch providers).

i'm not actually sure if terrestrial over the air TV is now completely phased out by now or not, haven't used it in decades.

>symmetrical 1Gbit internet
i seriously can't even imagine it

Once they lay down a few strands of glass fiber in a cable (as they did around here), that's not actually much of the total bandwidth of the whole cable.

These things can do crazy data loads like 4x10Tbit or something like that. And you could lay down a lot of them into a typical bigger cable channel.

Or you could just RAID1 two 4TB drive and not be assburgers,

>muh performance
as if your chinese cartoons need 800MB/s read

>NSA drives

Hmmm....

>wants a NAS
>concerned about performance

Don't be retarded. This whole NAS phenomenon is bullshit.

Put the fucking drives directly in your system. They will be faster. Just use drive mirroring. RAID Z is a bag of hurt when it goes wrong.

If you have Windows 8.1 or 10, you can use Windows Storage Spaces, which is like FreeNAS but better. Much better.

Because currently the beast raid is zraid2, which is managed by ZFS, and ZFS loves ram. It uses a lot of ram to check the data consistency, generate checksums and etc. That's why you also need ECC - to make sure there are no errors.

Enjoy your data loss. Even raid5 has been confirmed not really redundant.

If you just want 2 drives, yea stick a couple in your tower and just raid them, but if you want more it really is nice to get a bigger stand alone.

I ended up getting a synology 1812 and really havent had any complaints yet. Has 2 nic jacks, is quite as shit, and really the software is exactly what I need for downloading and vpn,

If you want cheap, you listen to the graybeards in this thread and put a box together yourself, and hope you're commandline enough to jump the software setup hoops.

Most consumer grade NAS boxes are really only good for external, active backups or light filesharing. Manufacturers keep hardware costs down by picking cheaper processors or skimping on the ram. You get what you pay for in most cases.

If you want an OOB solution with actual performance, you want something actually business grade. Expect to pay upwards of $500 just for the box itself. Manufacturer support on these is pretty good, but doesn't last forever.

What exactly do you want with a NAS box?

what is 4k read/write speed

>Because currently the beast raid is zraid2, which is managed by ZFS, and ZFS loves ram. It uses a lot of ram to check the data consistency, generate checksums and etc. That's why you also need ECC - to make sure there are no errors.
One of the fucking ZFS developers himself siad that ECC is nice to have and the better option, but is not needed.
Using non ECC will not magicaly cause errors.

That must be nice.

In order to go completely off-grid I'd need about $65,000 in solar shit here (Missouri). My normal electric bill is around $165 a month (12 month average). It'd take about 35 years to break even on that.

your solar shit is pretty high, but i'm doing more like $800/mo using grid power

sorry, 800/quarter
getting late here

>what do you want a NAS for?
Lower power envelope from not running my rig 24/7
DLNA/PLEX support, I use a roku and tablet to view media in house on top of computer (and a steam lync I still haven't connected)
Separate box from my tower. Currently I use a windows 8 storage space with 3 4TB drives set up i think as an artificial RAID 5, but I'd like to move to HDD RAID so it's OS independent. I'm seriously considering downgrading to Windows 7 because fuck 8 and doubly fuck Microsoft for their abuses in 10.

I'd also like a separate box so I can load up all my old HDDs, review what's on them/copy it, and wipe them. Right now I don't have space in my tower to do that. Stupid pre-TB storage days.

Was gonna say, what the hell are you running in there?

That's still more than twice what I'm using and I've got an adult woman and a teenage girl living with me in an older, poorly insulated, ~2100 qt ft house in an area that sees +110*F summers and -10*F winters (electric furnace/AC).

electric heaters: use a blanket, don't even own one anymore
aircon: maybe for 30 minutes on a particularly suckful night, otherwise no, too expensive. don't plan to bother installing one in the new house

>-10*F
>teenage girl and bitchy wife
yeah, need a heater man.
>+110*F with 80%+ humidity
>teenage girl and bitchy wife
I literally would kill someone if my AC broke in the summer

>Buying 8TB drives is retarded when you can buy 4x2TB drives.
Oy so now you have a 4x higher chance than your going to get a borked drive!

just converted the numbers, the temperatures here don't quite go that far
getting down to 0C (32F) is a rarity, and over 40C (104F).. not quite so rare

Yeah. Midwest US is crazy on weather swings.
>100-year record low of -47*F (~-44*C) in my city
>100-year record high of +118*F (~48*C) in my city
>routinely have people die of heat (heatstroke, heat exhaustion, heat cramps while swimming, dehydration)
>routinely get over 6ft of snow in winter and have to literally tunnel out of houses/jobs

Light streaming shouldn't be too much of an issue on higher end consumer grade boxes as long as it is just one or two users, even then you are going to have trouble finding anything with more than two bays. If you really want 4+ drive bays, then your only options are homebuilt or spending for business class.

Get a cheap drive toaster if you want to parse loose drives. NAS boxes aren't meant for that and won't make it easy compared to an external drive adapter.

>having to leave your main desktop machine turned on for anything else to access the files

found the high schooler

>your hdd stack is faster than any of your friends' ssd (unless they raid0'd them which they wont)
Thats what you think