Let's talk about Manjaro!

Let's talk about Manjaro!
I'm too stupid for using Arch but want to try something arch-based to see what all the fuzz is about.
>is it any good?
>is their philosophy holding packages really that terrible, as some people here claim?
>who is a daily user and wants to share his experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_based_distributions
youtube.com/watch?v=U-2KPrzIwao
manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate_update/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/dmmediaconverter/
youtube.com/watch?v=mWyqJ50lho4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If the main thing you want is an easy way of installing and setting up arch, antergos might be more suitable, since as far as I know manjaro deviates more from the arch core. Ironically the installer (cnchi) can cause problems for some people but other than that it works as expected.
I went arch after being on antergos for a while and all I had learned was easily translatable.

Try MINT.

this desu

The fuzz is about arch itself, being a lightweight, tailored distro, where you can make it as you want.

Pacman is the only thing that you will have on manjaro that is part of the whole arch thing.

Pick arch if you want lose time making the os your own. Otherwise just go with better, more tried and tested, distros like *buntu, debian or fedora.

>The fuzz is about arch itself, being a lightweight, tailored distro, where you can make it as you want.
You can do the exact same thing with any other distro
go back to hackforums

+1

try hackintosh.

>I'm too stupid for using Arch but want to try something arch-based to see what all the fuzz is about.
Then use any of the normal Arch-based distros. See wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_based_distributions
But don't use manjaro, it's shit.

>You can do the exact same thing with any other distro
Not really, Arch has an unique user repository and build system.

NixOS Linux: 87%
Arch Linux: 80%
Manjaro: 80%

>Arch has an unique user repository and build system.

I know about its repository, but why is its system unique and different from the regular?

It's alright

Just use Arch anywhere, then nobody will know you can't install Arch

What do you mean by regular?
The build system is based on FreeBSD ports, and I don't know of any other distro not based on Arch that has that. I guess Gentoo's portage system is similar.

The build system on Arch is far easier to use than the one in debian-based distributions or rpm-based ones.

I'm using *buntu, so I regular means a build system based on Debian(?)

Manjaro isn't Arch.
Manjaro is just Manjaro.

>NinjaOS
I'm staying with fedora

why are teh buttens so hueeg?

trash*

At first glance it was really fucking good. Arch without the install fuss and a stable repo, plus useful gui tools (ubuntu drivers jockey alternative - that allows you to browse all hardware and select drivers for each, so it's actually even better; kernel switcher and manager; etc.)? What's not to like?

Unfortunately, while they pretend to test the stable repos, that's a lie. Their shit is precisely as unstable as arch and every update will break something and fix something that was broken. They really literally only hold packages back and then release them, they don't hold them back because of a testing period or anything like that. I permanently gave up on all arch-likes because archfags have been pretending that arch had become more stable the past few years and that was bullshit (that is, arch is just as unusably unstable as last decade and shows no sign of ever becoming more usable - and then there's the bullshit about systemd). Arch is just unusable as a daily OS unless you never update anything and simply reinstall every so often.

Is it objectively better than pure arch? Yes. If you want to learn about arch-likes, this is your best distro option. Enjoy it.

However, if you're looking for a stable distro with access to bleeding edge packages and massive amounts of packages, the only real option, unfortunately, is gentoo or funtoo (funtoo has a few extra convenience options over gentoo). Those don't really have suitable easy installers, but once you're setup, maintenance is easy and painless.

Gentoo's portage is almost identical, unlike arch's aur.

It takes an hour you autist.

OP don't be a bitch just install arch it's fun and pretty easy.

in antergos, if you change lightdm with gdm, it breaks gnome and renders it useless. Why don't they use gdm by default like sane people?

antergos is great if the installer doesn't brick

Spat can help

youtube.com/watch?v=U-2KPrzIwao

Really sad that he committed sodoku

Manjaro best linux for daily driver.

LOL

no u

>inxi
First time I saw a command as beautiful as this.

they were just busy fixing and securing manjaro!

I also noticed now that they can't even use e.x. and i.e. properly

e.x. doesn't exist, retard.

*ex.
I fucked up senpai

ex. doesn't exist either, frognigger.

Nice meme, here the follow up:
manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate_update/
Not Manjaros fault. :^)

Been there OP.

I use gnulinux exclusively. Using Manjaro for already a year. No problems, EVER. Best driver support out there. You still get all the Arch features to fuck around, including pacman and AUR. Everything from Arch wiki applies to Manjaro too.
Respect for Manjaro dev team, these guys are underrated as hell.

Also, Manjaro has the best KDE somehow, never ever had any problems with it like I had on Kubuntu and others.

This. So far used Manjaro XFCE,KDE and i3.

It's nice to see it's getting more users with every day.

Why would you shorten 'Ubuntu' to an abbreviation which has the exact same number of characters?

manjaro is not too stable, but if you can fix a fuckup then it's worth trying. be warned there is less google support for it than something like ubuntu, if you fug up you fug up.

stop spreading disinfo kid and stay on windows

I wish they would let you choose what software do you want installed. No clue why they still keep adobe flash player in there

It's shorthand for the entire Ubuntu family. Idiot.

How so?
>*buntu
Kbuntu? Xbuntu? Lbuntu? They do not exist retard.

t. inbred

>falling for his bait

No user, you took it all by yourself.

Since this seems a pro manjaro thread.
Can someone help me with creating a PKGBuild file for this?
aur.archlinux.org/packages/dmmediaconverter/

Manjaro ≠ Arch

You db nigger there's a PKGBUILD right on the page you linked

>You db nigger there's a PKGBUILD right on the page you linked
It doesn't work the link to the tarball is wrong, I've tried replacing it but the MD5 checksum didn't pass, so I used SKIP to bypass it but the building failed.

Please check before calling others idiots.

>too stupid for arch
literally just partition and run a script

(Linux noob)

I also wanted to try out Manjaro, but within a VM, in VMWare Workstation 12 I have no option for it, what do I choose? I was thinking about picking the Linux Kernel 3.xx one

Antergos
n
t
e
r
g
o
s

Welcome to the club

Bypassing security errors - manjaro in nutshell. You deserve it.

why are you fucking around with WM/DE's if you don't even know how they work lol, then blaming the distro

this

antergos master race

Yes and no. It rather depends on how much you're willing to rebuild, and how much mucking about it takes to use the default packaging system with a home built package.

Decide you don't want pulseaudio, for instance, on Ubuntu 16.04. you want a full desktop, but no pulse audio. You'll need to do custom builds of Firefox, half of gnome, your audio player, etc, etc. Real packages to, not check install ones if you want the dependency resolution to work.

The same thing on a good ports based system (no, arch and Gentoo are not the only one,s or particularly unique in this respect) is fairly easy. You do need to build a lot of packages, but at least here it can be almost completely automated.

they have a minimal install that includes only the base system.

Z ≠ B

>At first glance it was really fucking good.
>... every update will break something and fix something that was broken
Pretty much my experience.

>However, if you're looking for a stable distro with access to bleeding edge packages and massive amounts of packages, the only real option, unfortunately, is gentoo or funtoo
Disagree. Debian Unstable is usably stable and has access to massive amounts of packages.

choose gentoo

>unable to create a working pkgbuild
>sating those who are calling you an idiot are wrong

How's antergos? ive always been a Debian guy but dat arch bleeding-edge software sounds appealing.

been using it on 2 machines for a year now... never had any problems, installed a bunch of stuff and it all worked flawlessly. debian cucks will never know how it feels using the aur

Antergos installer is shit if you select something different than Cinnamon, GNOME or KDE; if you select a different DE/WM, select encryption or setup your own partition table, it fails misserably.

I'd rather recommend Manjaro Community editions, if you don't care to use Manjaro Repos.

Plus Manjaro supports OpenRC and multiple kernels.

youtube.com/watch?v=mWyqJ50lho4
No excuses