Anyone ever made a sleeper?

Anyone ever made a sleeper?

Incase that term isn't widely used outside the automotive world, it basically means it looks normal or old or crappy, but underneath it's loaded with expensive go fast bits.

I wish pic wasn't so expensive for a hunk of useless metal and plastic else I would make a sleeper on it with some mini ITX board and some watercooling.

Right now for it's price I can buy a really nice case so it's not worth the effort.

in car world you can see the hints like bigger wheels, lowered suspension, muffler..

in pc world that literally means use old dell workstation case

Honestly whats the point? Car wise, people see it and are surprised

Who the fuck is gonna come over and say 'haha wow user shitty pc' and be blown away?

Yep ive done it

A while back I built a computer for a friend who lives in a shit area. Got a case from an old IBM ThinkCentre for 20GBP, and threw in an old OEM motherboard with a Core 2 Quad on it. The guy who's got it still has it to this date, and no nig.rar has stolen it yet.

Don't see much point, really. I've kicked around the idea of putting modern guts in an old case, but more because of wanting to have something useful in a nice-looking classic case, rather than as camouflage or whatever.

the problem with these is that i'd totally steal those sweet-ass cases so i can turn them into a sleeper

I really doubt that anyone who saw my computer would care what it looked like.
But I'm not 12.

i made one that looks kida liek this, but i have not taken any pix of it yet though

been toying with the idea for a while now but I don't have the funds to do it properly nor would I have enough space for all my drives

old enterprise workstation cases are fucking gorgeous, see: in a proper sleeper you'd mod the case for better cable management (to be fair, most decent cases pre-mid 2000s needed to be modded for better cable management) and airflow while keeping exterior modification to a minimum

see pic related, it's cheating because it's an AIO but you get the idea, if you have the funds you can do a lot in an old case

are you saying you wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled out an old shitty dell and realised they were running a 6950x and two titans running in sli?

inb4
>consumerism

>Sleeper Vehicle.
>High performance vehicle that looks stock to fool niggas then surprise them with it's performance.
>Sleeper PC.
>High performance PC that looks stock to ???

I bet you still go to Lan parties too user.

This guy nailed it.

Other people see you in cars.

No one is going to see it in your room. Dont pretend you go to "lan" party's either

botles of cum etc... so depressing...

>Aptiva

My negro

maybe i just want to do it for FUN

>are you saying you wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled out an old shitty dell and realised they were running a 6950x and two titans running in sli?

It's literally just.... modern HW in an old case user. I have no idea why this is so fascinating to you especially since it all boils down to this 30 second max long interaction where you get to show off a modern PC in an old case....

>are you saying you wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled out an old shitty dell and realised they were running a 6950x and two titans running in sli?
In all honesty... no. If I'm in a situation where someone's making the effort to show me their computer, and it looks like an old piece of shit, I'm going to be suspecting there's something up with it. Why would they be bothering to show me an old piece of shit if it actually was an old piece of shit?

Impressed, maybe. But not surprised.

pic related with 2 xeon e5s, 64gb ram, and 12gb raid0

>B-but lan parties are fun.

Heck I do the same with my car, completely stock from the outside but a beast under the hood.

Those cases are just made to be fully stocked with top of the line hardware.

This is how a friend of mine avoided getting his nice computer stolen. The only reason I ever found out it was a sleeper was because he told me he was "playing the new game" (was Overwatch). He then tried to say he was playing the new Android game but then he eventually showed me his setup and it had SLI, an i7 and 16gb ram but he used one of those elementary school computer cases from the 90s.

>$1000+ computer
>intentionally make it look like shit
>"aww yeah people will be so impressed because beige isn't a GAMING color"

i chose the cheapest, most barebones black case i could find, because i don't want anyone to break into my house and go "look at all the bells and whistles on that thing, imma steal that first"

Checked.

I'd take beige over gaymer shit any day.

I mean yeah, it is a fun and cheeky way to reject gaymen stuff. It doesn't need to impress anyone.

But that's why you're doing it right? To make a point through specific aesthetics?
To show off, fundamentally?

ironically supercomputers already look like this

I did, in a case not too different from that one. My old P100 lived in it before. Had to make a bit of room and in the end the resonance annoyed me too much.

tl;dr put some rubber in there and you're good

its a fucking stupid. enjoy your 0 airflow and you better be good at fabbing up ways to actually mount the shit inside it

I want /o/ to leave