Hi Cred Forums
Let's fix my bookshelf speakers

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NpMYZq-
youtube.com/watch?v=NpMYZq-qQNo
youtube.com/watch?v=2j9MwBC22ZA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no

Just some old Sony bookshelf speakers, I've had them my whole life. Been sitting in storage ever since the foam surrounds deteriorated

/thread

I have a pair of bullnose Advent loudspeakers that need the same repair, so we're going to call this practice for them

sweet thread bro! xD can't wait to see the epic conclusion! here's your bump! make sure to upvote my comment~ thanks.

Yes, this is not a gpu thread.

I think you may have to consider replacing the woofer drivers on both speakers, fäm. Not sure if it's worth it honestly.

Bruh, spray paint a paper plate black and use that for the repair. I'm not even fucking with you. I've been doing it since the 80s

removed all the old surround with a utility knife. I have new surrounds from Aliexpress to attempt to install: they were bout $8, plus another $3 for craft glue. So if this turns out remotely usable, pretty good deal. These sounded great for bookshelf speakers when they worked

According to the youtube video I watched, you have to cut the dust caps off in order to shim the voice coil to keep it centered while replacing the foam.

I'm leaving the dust cap partially connected so I can easily glue it back in place later. Don't have new dust caps

First one's all shimmed with some pieces of a manila folder. this keeps everything centered and holds the cone still

Here's the spider, we want it pretty much flat while gluing the foam to the basket.

I couldn't find an exact fit foam surround, so these are a couple mm too big unfortunately. will have to trim them down

removing the foam from the second speaker

scrubbing them off in the sink. probably should have done this from the start.

all ready for work

cut this dust cap a bit cleaner.

here you can better see the magnet/voice coil. these should never touch

second speaker shimmed up

and cone pulled into place, spider not ridiculously stretched out. I think I'm doing this right, or close to right

like I said, these surrounds are too big. so we have to trim them

just carefully cutting off a millimeter or so. Unfortunately that huge trim ring on the basket is actually just part of the basket.

now it fits

this is just tacky glue from a hobby store. the stuff that comes in the brown bottle. A stereo forum said this is the stuff they like

first we'll glue the surround to the cone, trying not to cover the whole damn thing in glue. I'll definitely make an attempt to use less glue next time

both speakers glued up

after an hour or so, the cones have dried. now the foam needs to be glued to the basket

this took a lot of dicking around, probably should have trimmed the outers a bit more for better fitment. used a lot of glue on the outers.

gross amount of glue

now the others are pretty well set, so i'm taking out the shims and gluing the dust caps back down.

inb4 op plugs them in and they sound worse than before

this is the next morning (today). all done. They don't look great, but they have grills so who cares. Just hooked them up and they sound great again!

Pretty sloppy looking glue work, but as a high-powered audio enthusiast this really has my attention.

not bad OP
do this to ~5 more speakers and you could get a job with it.

yeah I feel like the next set will work out better. I have a pair of KLH bookshelf speakers that need the same thing done

going to work my way up to the Advents, really want those to look good

My experience is mostly in car audio, but the concepts are the same. You did pretty good especially for such a cheap fix, but next time get a soft plastic scraper and a damp high-thread-count rag to remove excess glue before it dries and you might have a more visually pleasing result.

thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try that on the next set.

Sure thing, and good luck. Repair like this is great for when you score a nice set that someone is throwing out because they're "broken." A friend of mine got a set of vintage Klipsch Heresy II that someone was throwing out. All they needed to work was a little soldering work on the crossovers. They sound great, and used ones regularly sell for around $400 even though they're decades old.

That is some substantial foam rot right there

Interesting thread, seriously

There's kits for that.

More white goo than a conjugal visit.

Waiting for updates.

Seriously.

Nothing left to say really, been using them all morning and they sound great again. Learned some things while doing it, will use faster drying glue next time and wipe off the face of the cone, will also order replacement dust caps so I don't have to recycle the originals.

oh, nice

some photo of finished job?

Nice blog

Siiiiiicckckck IBM Model M. Typed this with some Cherry MX Blues, and I'm still jealous of that classic buckling spring.

im thinking of repairing a pair of Allison al100 speakers

Ayyyy

God DAMN I really wish a buckling spring board with the aesthetics of a modern TKL board existed.
They're all so fucking bulky and ugly but they feel great to use.

Currently using an MX green board but it just isn't the same.

Where can I found new foam?

You post the same bench at least twice, go kill yourself.

pleeeeeeeease

eBay, Amazon, Ali

You know you can just hook up an AA battery to the terminals and it will keep it centered for you, right? Otherwise, just hook them up to a receiver and just play a low tone through them.

youtube.com/watch?v=NpMYZq-
qQNo

eBay, amazon, aliexpress, simply speakers (kinda expensive), etc.

I fucked up the link.
youtube.com/watch?v=NpMYZq-qQNo

Time for a recone.

Holy shit dude you could have just put duct tape over the hole.

no because sometimes the 200-350Hz will sound like shit if the coil is not centered.

youtube.com/watch?v=2j9MwBC22ZA

Nice thread OP, I enjoyed it

I love you OP, what a nice thread