/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/About/
invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Install_to_external_USB_stick
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/lua/autoload.lua
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Writing_unit_files
github.com/ncb000gt/node-cron/issues/149
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/123099/can-continually-assigning-a-variable-in-a-shell-script-cause-a-memory-leak
github.com/ncb000gt/node-cron/issues/48
stackoverflow.com/questions/18689493/cron-job-running-out-of-memory-very-fast
git.mel.vin/melvin/scripts/tree/master/qemu
arseniyshestakov.com/2016/03/31/how-to-pass-gpu-to-vm-and-back-without-x-restart/
gist.github.com/ArseniyShestakov/dc152d080c65ebaa6781
userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=scrollbars
github.com/erikdubois/Super-Ultra-Flat-Numix-Remix.
youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
security.debian.org/
secure-testing-master.debian.net/
youtube.com/user/BryanLunduke/videos?view=0&flow=grid&sort=dd
youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7UmXhs32M
stallman.org/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?path=/archives/2012-jul-oct.html&term=YouTube&type=norm&case=0
gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=217286
opensuse-guide.org/wlan.php
aur.archlinux.org/packages/dmmediaconverter/
hastebin.com/uguyoqawep.bash
qwinff.github.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Has anyone tried running linux 4.7 or 4.8 on a banana pi?

Does anyone use Dragora? I'm interested in it because it's FSF approved, uses Runit instead of systemd, and hadles packages similar to Slackware. I wanted to try it out for fun, but couldn't get it to load on my system (just hangs on boot).

What am I doing wrong? Running mousepad in sudo mode makes this spam. I only use mousepad and xfce4-terminal rest is not present because I moved to i3 from xfce

fluxbox, awesome, or i3?

You won't be using any of those. At best you'll install it just to feed your ego and then quit 30 minutes later. Only a retarded person would ask such a question. Are you going to go with the first answer someone gives you? Are you that retarded? What does it cost you to install all 3 and decide for yourself which one is "the best"?

*I* for one think arch is a PATHETIC, AWFUL distro, that only WORTHLESS AUTISTIC /LOOOOSSEEEERS/ would use. I'm a superior human being to them, as demonstrated by my choice of linux distro. They really are pathetic, worthless idiots, I'm much better than them, i'm NORMAL and i'm SUCCESFULL and i'm not a VIRGIN, like THEM.

i3 = babbies first tiling wm, get the gaps branch if you try it
awesome = ricer wm, useful when you know a bit lua
fluxbox, nothing fancy, good enough

enjoy

Fluxbox is god tier. You don't have to learn a new language like lua to use it and you can rice fluxbox as much as you can rice i3 or awesome. Simple plain text configs are excellent.

noice

why use fluxbox over openbox?

Daily reminder to stay away from Linux Mint:
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

Daily reminder to stay away from Arch Linux:
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

I hate lone WMs because you have to do SO MUCH ground work just for basic functionality. Want your function keys to change your volume? Want brightness to be adjustable? Want your wifi to be easy to configure? Want icons somewhere? Want any basic functionality beyond tiled windows? Scour these guides/wiki pages/other people's configs to find a bunch of specific packages and info to then do a bunch of shit in your WM config.

I spent like a week dealing with this shit with dwm and then awesome, thinking that eventually it'd turn out good, but it never did. With every solution, I found more shit to be annoyed with. The last straw was when I discovered that certain programs don't play nicely with being tiled, so they have to be configured individually in order to work well.

Now I'm using the latest version of GNOME and it's incredibly polished and comfy. I don't feel like an insane person anymore. All it took was about 6 extensions, and a few minutes to adjust some settings, it's overall very comfortable and polished.

I feel exactly the same about Gentoo. I guess I'm not patient/autistic enough to spend literal days of my spare time configuring and maintaining every tiny aspect of my OS.

if the cable where thicker it could be /HPG/ official logo

>, it's overall very comfortable and polished.
I forgot to delete this redundant part, my bad.

I feel ya. I like removing things I don't need and changing things to be how I'd like, but I prefer to do it by stripping down something prebuilt and changing bits of it here and there, rather than building every thing from scratch.

>I hate lone WMs because you have to do SO MUCH ground work just for basic functionality.

No shit. That's literally their core feature. It's for people who want to assemble their own desktop environment.
Why did you even go down that way if you hated its very premise? That's something a pretentious, try-hard idiot would do.

I guess I am a bit of a pretentious, try-hard idiot. It was a learning experience to be sure.

Cred Forums, I'm thinking more seriously to move from Windows to Linux (will probably get Kubuntu), but the only thing setting me back is photoshop. I have already tried Gimp and I really can't get used to it, it drives me nuts because I got used to PS. I'd use Photoshop for memes mainly (text and cutting), doing some color balancing sometimes and some Uni works where we have to make banners. I'd use Fireworks for that too, to design web layouts and for general vector work.

Are there any alternatives similar to Photoshop's workflow/interface that I can install on Linux? Bonus points if it can import/export .psd so i can share/work with uni colleagues.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

openbox uses xml configs, fluxbox uses plain text config files.

So?
How much time do you spend editing the config files that it presents a major reason for you? Why do you edit the config files manually instead of using the officially endorsed obconf GUI tool?
If "plain text config files" are THE reason for you to use a window manager then you're a plain idiot.

I got ALSA to work everywhere except Firefox (I watch every video on mpv). Is PulseAudio worth it? What will it bring me exactly?

Make ff use alsa. Pulse is usually not worth it. if you needed it you would know.

freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/About/

>A sound server can serve many functions:

Software mixing of multiple audio streams, bypassing any restrictions the hardware has.
Network transparency, allowing an application to play back or record audio on a different machine than the one it is running on.
Sound API abstraction, alleviating the need for multiple backends in applications to handle the wide diversity of sound systems out there.
Generic hardware abstraction, giving the possibility of doing things like individual volumes per application.

Don't listen to this retard. Use pulse. Alsa is deprecated and compared to Pulse the sound quality is worse.

ALSA isn't deprecated, you cannot have Pulseaudio without ALSA (or OSS I guess).

What terminal emulator does /fglt/ use?

urxvt

urxvt nigga

I'm, using termite.

special snowflake

No, just others are shit.

Explain. Is there a redpill?

CTRL+ALT+F6 fastest terminal ever

Others either render incorrectly, have silly limitations or are bloated.

Could you please test something?

Enter this in termite and tell me if your screen gets filled with EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
echo -e \\e#8

Not Termite, but funky. What's the significance of this?

It's a test sequence, it basically proves vt(100 etc) compatibility. With these sequences, you can control a lot of stuff that usually tput does (and much more). Search the web.

it works.

Yes, it does.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

xterm has a good documentation about these sequences (if you care) invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html

>someone out there is an expert for that topic

How does one even get that far? My mind cannot comprehend it. That's even more impressive than doctors that specialize in a niche field.

I actually wrote a small script using these...

install-gentoo() {
str="${@:-Install Gentoo}"

clr() { printf '\033c'; }; clr

while :; do
printf '\033[%s;%sf\033[%sm%s\033[m' \
"$((RANDOM%LINES+1))" \
"$((RANDOM%$((COLUMNS-${#str}+2))))" \
"$((RANDOM%8+30))" \
"$str"
read -s -n 1 -t .01 && clr && break
done
}; install-gentoo( Enjoy.

autism I guess

st

Autism, or just curiosity.

kek, nice

GIMP can export to PSD, and you can set it up so it has an interface that looks like Adobe Photoshop, so it can be a bit more like it. Just look around for tutorials on how to do it.

It probably won't be like Photoshop, but at least it's free/libre software. I prefer GIMP over Photoshop, and I can't get used to Photoshop when I try it.

s/install-gentoo(//

what does it do?

Prints "Install Gentoo" (or your own text) in rainbow colors at random positions of the terminal.

Just acquired an X220 Memepad so... any recommendations for desktop environment/wm for (sortta) low-res screen (1366x768)?
I like GNOME on my primary computers but those titlebars really eat up a lot of (vertical) space...

Checkem.

>you tried at least

Does it make sense to include ~/.cache in my full system backups? Is it ever used for anything other than cache that I might not want to lose?

Is it possible to use Skia Graphics Engine instead of Xorg?

My system seems to do this thing where sometimes it suddenly freezes. The mouse moves literally minutes after I move it IRL and I can very slowly move it over the screen that way, but keyboard input does nothing and neither does clicking. The only solution is to restart the computer.
Now its gotten like that consistently, twice, when I try to compile iridium from the AUR.
my graphics card is a GTX670 and im using nvidia drivers on antergos.

Can be used by some stuff so would be best to include it just in case.

Skia is a graphics library, not a windowing system.
If you're looking for an alternative for X.org, there's Wayland.

best torrent client?
i want something that works through terminal, not fancy GUI

But it works on Android, which hasn't got Xorg.

rtorrent for tui, aria2 for pure cli

On the second thought, I don't have enough space in my heart for over 15k potentially useless files, so they're gone. Same with ~/.thumbnails, which is even more useless.
Cleaning up feels good.

I don't think so
Mine is set as tmpfs and no problems so far

>Mine is set as tmpfs
dang, dude.
Then I might as well wipe it just to get rid of the cruft from years ago.

i'm having trouble installing linux, i've tried installing linux on my pc and it doesn't work, i've tried 3 distros and either won't install or be stuck after instalation

bios settings are as recommended, no fast boot, no secure boot, legacy mode, usb first priority

can someone help me, please?

How can I install a bootloader on my usb stick and then boot into linux through my usb? I want to dualboot linux and windows but I'd like to keep the linux partition hidden, so I dont want to overwrite the MBR

Arch Wiki has all the answers ever.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Install_to_external_USB_stick

hey user
>pic

If you ever see this error, it means that your local repo has links to the old version that has been removed from mirrors.
So the package has been updated, but you only have the link to the already deleted old version.

Solution:
pacman -Syu and then proceed normally.

>pacman -Syu
damn i got 400+mb update

gnome-terminal

>400+mb
I just finished a 3GB update, it happens.

You don't have to actually update the packages, just the repo.
So pacman -Sy would work too.

halp Cred Forums

>You don't have to actually update the packages, just the repo.
Don't teach him bad habits that could break his system.

>serif fonts for interface
>green on black color scheme
>that font rendering
why do you do this to yourself?

I've actually have heard something about that, but I couldn't recall enough details about that to mention it.
Care to elaborate on why that's dangerous?

testing or sid?

sounds like it's running out of memory
I get exactly the same as you described when it runs oom

How's the RAM usage?
If it's getting close to full (and assuming you have a swap partition or file), then it might just be your computer swapping stuff out of RAM because you've used it all.
My computer does the same whenever it runs out of RAM.

>my graphics card is a GTX670 and im using nvidia drivers on antergos
Literally irrelevant to everything ever, by the way.

Packages you install like that might require the new versions of libraries already in the repo, but since you didn't update the library on your system the package may not work with your older version.

Wouldn't it list the new version of the library as a dependency and prevent you from installing with the old one?

>Install Fedora on secondary HDD
>Want to use it ocasionally so when I want to use it I just boot from that drive on bios
>I can only boot Fedora, and when I try to boot Windows it says there's no bootable device
what do

I figured maybe it was a graphics thing, Iunno, that showed up when I looked through forum questions.
I dont know how the RAM usage is because theres no way to access any kind of system monitor. I could try doing it again and leaving one on, maybe I'd see it spike before it froze, I suppose.
Hrmn.

Interesting question.

cry :'(

You can use openbox and disable decorations in it so you don't waste a single pixel of your display. I use openbox like that on my 1280 x 800 laptop display.

So has anybody ever successfully run the firefox-kde build outside of KDE?

I find the file chooser option to be a lot more attractive, but fuck using KDE. I would imagine if you pulled enough dependencies it might be possible, but I've tried it before and couldn't make it work.

So im downloading with rTorrent and wtf is this shit
i have more uploaded then downloaded

b-but sharing is caring...

>download a half of a file
>10 people start downloading too
>you upload that half to 10 people
>your ratio is 10 and you don't even have the whole file yet
Pretty usual torrent stuff.

I find that DEs are made primarily with laptops in mind and thus are mostly unneeded with a desktop.

This reminds me of a question. Is it possible to let firefox call a script instead of a file manager? Then we could just hook a custom filepicker into it (maybe written in python).

There's a about config setting, but it only lets you choose between firefox own (pretty bare picker) and the OS' default

there must be a solution for this without recompiling and hacking source code...

fuck this shit

Problem is that i set upload to only 50kb and my ping goes +3k wtf is this shitty rtorrent?

No idea.
I've always used transmission as my CLI torrent client/daemon, and never had issues.
Might wanna try it out.

I don't think you can get around it without recompiling. Maybe you could call a script, but I don't think you could get the script to feed it the file you want.

Is there a player on linux wich supports the function of go to the next/previous file without having to make a play list or opening the folder, like kmplayer on windows?

You can keep your file browser open to your pictures and then drag n drop. That way you can see thumbnails and it isn't very inconvenient.

Bomi ("""fork""" of mpv) has a setting to do that.

mpv.

I'll try it, thank you
didn't see this option on it

I assume you mean it'll play the next file in the folder. Like it'll play episode 2 after finishing episode 1.

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/lua/autoload.lua

You put it in .config/mpv/scripts

Triying to make a gaming flashdrive and i cant get the graphics drivers working

Need more information.

Chipset? Graphics card? Distro?

Ubuntu gtx 1070 when installed cant login and also what distro should i use i want to put csgo minecraft and unturned on it

Set nomodeset on (Google it) and install the proprietary drivers via the "Additional Drivers" application. Don't forget to remove nomodeset again after you've installed the proprietary drivers. The free drivers do not support the 1070s yet as far as I know, so you need to use NVIDIA's.

yes, this.
New to linux (installed yesterday) can't find

Thanks man ill try that tommorrow will be back like 20h

How can i see what is using my internet? Which app?

None, because there are no """apps""" on Linux.

For real though, install nethogs

Is debian more secure and stable than mint?

Typical gtk skullfuckery.

You can launch a new terminal (i think mod+enter in I3, and then fork the program, then close the terminal. To fork it, "sudo mousepad &".
Better yet you should try a program launcher. I believe the stock keybindings in I3 are "Mod+d" to launch dmenu. Dmenu is the best little program ever.

Qterminal

urxvt

How do I use systemd to update the system in a regular interval?

I just want to make an update daemon that executes "$sudo apt update -y" once in every 3 hours"

I just got Debian Testing with KDE set up on my T430, what's some good places to learn how to rice it? I'd like to get an OSX look and feel, something like El Capitan.

memory hog.
down vote
A daemon can take advantage of it's longevity by caching state, deferring disk writes, or engaging in prolonged sessions with a client.

I know KDE likes memory, I'm just doing it to try it out :^)

Arch Wiki has all the answers ever.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Writing_unit_files

>cron
>memory hog
It's been used for decades with no problems.

I use either rxvt or xterm. I don't give a shit much about which terminal I'm using. Why should I install urxvt when the ones my distro comes with are fine?

>my 40 year old digital typewriter only has 2mb ram

Do you know what memory leaks mean?

Yes, I understand a lot of unrelated things.
Show me that cron leaks memory.

github.com/ncb000gt/node-cron/issues/149
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/123099/can-continually-assigning-a-variable-in-a-shell-script-cause-a-memory-leak
github.com/ncb000gt/node-cron/issues/48
stackoverflow.com/questions/18689493/cron-job-running-out-of-memory-very-fast

gotta give it to ya, node-cron gave me a good chuckle.

>But, in your code you are not doing anything funny so if you are using stable version of the shell, it's almost 100% sure your problem is somewhere else.
>I know I'll provide bugs from a non standard fork of a fork

Wait, what? I just gave some example where cron leaks memory. What do you mean with those memetexts?

>unconfirmed, closed, node-cron
>fixed or otherwise resolved

>I just saw one link
>No fix mentioned
>"fixed"

At least read the shit before you link it

can kali be an everday distro?

The better question is "should it be?".

And the answer is a definite no.

I want to start a few programs when an x server starts. all I have to do is put exec [program] in my .xinitrc file, yes?

why?

it really is what your pic says and thats the only problem for me.
I have used win machines since i was a kid.
Then I tried ubuntu few years back, didnt like it.
Last year I gave it a shot and forced myself to Mint again for 3 months. It was doable but thats it, i dont want "doable" i need something that feels good to use after i come from windows with this huge life behind me of doing stuff this or that way.
I totally love the idea behind free software, i also watch some stallman videos from time to time as a motivation, but i still need that photoshop for work or that proprietary code editor for my other work. Its a choice im not willing to make and the transition isnt that easy yet.
The biggest yes for me is option to opt-out because im the paranoia itself. but still, comfort and too many bounds with employer and world around me makes me to stick with my mac and all the popular apps im already well familiar with and share the knowledge with large portion of population.

Sometimes i wish GNU/Linux was adopted at the early expansion of computers and was the standard - but then again, it could not be the standard for that very sake of being an alternative to botnet "norm" system(s).

sudo netstat -tulpen

or use wireshark for more

No Linux will feel like home after switching from Windows for a long time. You've used Windows since ever, you've given yourself *years* to get used to it. Likewise, you need to allow yourself to use Linux for a long time before you get used to it.

>tl;dr how2use wget

Hey guys, linux novice checking in here.
I've installed debian minimal on my pi zero as a base for some fun ideas since all I had lying around was a 2gb micro sd.

It's pretty fun learning the command line this way. I'm trying out wget (been using lynx) and I was wondering what's the best way to view a page using wget, like for example a wiki page. I tried grabbing one and viewing it in nano but it's practically illegible for obvious reasons.
Wat do? Bonus points for how to view images too, tho I'm not concerned about it.

see

wget only downloads files over http, it's not a html renderer

Use w3m, image support, nice.
For GNU Wget, just pipe the result to html2text.

I used Windows for like 20 years before I needed to use Linux on a daily basis and it felt good since like day 2.

>wget only downloads files over http
no

I'd just like to interject for a moment...

the point being it's not a html renderer
i don't care if it supports more protocols than just http(s)

If you use proprietary for work and there is no free software options you should just stick to w10. Dual booting is a hassle and I guess if you got more then one computer you could run linux on one of them

get out REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>just stick to w10
That's not very friendly user.

>w3m
Tried it but I didn't quite like it, guess I'll play around with it's settings a bit. The default colours are awful:(
>html2text
Thanks, I'll try this out.

>Dual booting is a hassle
What is a virtual machine? Come on. Running Windows on bare metal today is completely unnecessary even if you ""need"" to use it.

Wget fag here, I know it doesn't render, but I wanted to know what the best way to use it in conjunction with something to be able to read a page.

If you wanted to grab a bunch of articles with a keyword and read them, isn't the best way to use wget and then something else to go through them? This is within a cli, i can't think of much else.

Is there any way to move all that .foo .bar crap to where it belongs, .config? I'm kinda pissed at this shit cluttering my home dir.

pc is getting old, is it a worthy investment to buy a 'gaming' pc as in a pc with a decent graphics card for running linux? what are the benefits of this over onboard graphics?

Stupid question. I've installed crossbuild-essential-arm64 on debian 8. What command do I use to compile a simple cpp program?

Your complains pretty much resonate mine when I'm forced to use Windows for whatever reason - it simply doesn't feel "right", you know? From things like pressing Alt+F2 or middle-click like an idiot hoping it works to complete cluelessness on how to do shit like "remap ´+c into ć so it doesn't make a fucking cedilla".

My point is, it isn't something intrinsic from the system... it gets better with time you've been using it.

Depends on what you do regularly, and depends on if you want to be "Freeâ„¢".

Dedicated graphics cards usually need proprietary drivers to be decent. At least with the latest models. The Intel iGPUs are much more "free" than the dedicated ones. Though they aren't on the same level in terms of performance.

Are you actually going to be playing games on it? If so, get a dedicated one. If you are browsing Cred Forums and wanking off you don't need one.

living like a bum like RMS isnt for everyone, if anons job depend on w10 just stick with it.
Some software dont play nice in virtual machines. Excellent quads

>Some software dont play nice in virtual machines.
What software does not play nice in a virtual machine? You need to give some good examples here, user. I'll be waiting.

Not him, but anything requiring 3D acceleration (as games) is a Russian roulette to run in a VM. Besides that, I don't know, I only use Windows for gaming anyway.

Russian roulette? Utilizing passthrough technology will make them run perfectly. There's absolutely nothing roulette about it.

Small question about the passthrough: does Linux lose access to the GPU even when the VM is off?

Some people have been able to rebind it using clever tactics. Here's one of those people: git.mel.vin/melvin/scripts/tree/master/qemu

But yes, unless you're as clever as that guy and want to fuck around with scripts that move files around, you'll lose access to the dedicated GPU even when the VM is off. To re-enable it you'd need to remove it from the vfio-pci list by commenting out one line in a file and rebooting (which that guy does automatically through a script, but he rebinds it back without rebooting by killing and restarting the x server. Quite intriguing to be perfectly honest).

So yes, you can rebind the GPU to Linux after turning the VM is off, however doing so will require some extensive research. The easier solution is just leaving it disabled and living with the internal GPU (or buying another small dedicated one. As the guide suggests, maybe you have one laying around?), or commenting out a line and reboot to re-enable it.

Just asked this in the SQT, realised I should have asked here.

How do I better conserve screen real estate on my 1600 x 900 screen.

screenfetch attached.

If I use an environment without compositing, will I be missing much?

set panel to autohide
get rid of that bloat on top of your firefox
learn to use workspaces

Thanks.

I honestly do not think I'm as computer-savvy as that guy, so it's an "yes". This is kinda a deal breaker for me, since I've tried to move my gaming from Windows to Linux over time, and being required to move it back to Windows would be a step backwards for me. So I guess I'll keep Windows on the bare metal... but less and less used over time.

Might as well add to this, here's a few guys who've managed to rebind the GPU without even restarting X.

arseniyshestakov.com/2016/03/31/how-to-pass-gpu-to-vm-and-back-without-x-restart/

gist.github.com/ArseniyShestakov/dc152d080c65ebaa6781

How that works for NVIDIA cards is a good question. However that's proof enough that it is indeed possible.

Top-bar can be severely reduced in size and auto-hidden. The size on the headerbars on every window can be severely reduced or maybe even removed if you feel comfortable with doing so. The tabs are gargantuan and can be lessened.

>solarized AND green on dark colors
What's wrong with you?

For you question:
Don't use monospace fonts for interface
Remove the titlebars. You can move and resize with super or meta + click
Use stylish to debloat the firefox interface
Use stylish to tweak all scrollbars. Pick one: userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=scrollbars

I'm new to loonix

Thanks

so i installed debian on a machine with already a vista, 7 and windows 10 and now it only boots to windows 10. No grub or anything what to do

Is there a command that lets me know every running service?

yes

Well, what is it?

I meant a service like networkmanager or bluetooth or whatever? Just services, not applications.

oh, try..
pstree -p

Thanks, it was what I was looking for.

Is it possible to use krita or calligra standalone without having to use the rest of the KDE suite?

>job
>not career

only get so far sucking the microsoft dick

Another user with a question here. I was thinking about getting back to a video game which runs only on Windows which is a no-no for me, however, my CPU does not have VT-d but it does have VT-x and from what I gathered from Intel's website VT-d is just improved VT-x, do you think PCI passthrough would be possible with VT-x or should I upgrade the CPU?

have you tried wine?

how to I set individual monitor wallpapers in gnome 3? I have a portrait monitor and a landscape monitor and and its impossible finding single wallpapers that work with that kind of setup

I'm trying to install some icon themes in plasma 5 but I'm having trouble with it. This is the theme i'm trying to install github.com/erikdubois/Super-Ultra-Flat-Numix-Remix.
I have cloned it and copied the directories to ~/.icons but it doesn't see them. I tried to add then through the Icons settings page and anything I select or drag on to it doesn't work.

VT-d is stands for "Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O" and is the bread and butter for it to work. VT-x (Intel Virtualization Technology Extensions) is also required for this to work. VT-x is included with every single Intel CPU and has been for many years. However VT-d has only been included on normal non-K parts (that aren't so called "Extreme" processors or -E) for the last couple of generations. So something like a 3770K does not have it, but a 3770 does have VT-d support. Intel started giving K parts VT-d support in Devil's Canyon (4820K and such), so a Skylake K part (6600K, 6700K, 6800K and so forth).

Thing is that you pretty much need VT-x to run a virtual machine at all. However in order to do passthroughs (since you do I/O redirection) VT-d is 100% required. So I'm sorry, but VT-d is something that is needed for it to work.

Nice video on the entire passthrough subject: youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4

try ~/.local/share/icons

This doesn't work with VirtualBox, does it?

anyone i've asked this question like 10 times and no one seems to know, if it's not possible just say so

Of that I am not sure, however I sincerely doubt it since I haven't seen anyone use Virtualbox for it. Everyone uses kvm and qemu.

You can use libvirt and Virtual Machine Manager for it if you want a GUI.

try nitrogen
I don't know if it works with GNOME though

But ricers are idiots user

You do it the exact same way on Windows. You need to "merge" multiple wallpapers into one single picture. Use Gnome Tweak Tool, go into Desktop and choose "Spanned" as the wallpaper type. Then you choose your merged wallpaper.

I personally use GIMP for this. Let's say you have two 1920x1200 monitors, then you create a 3840x1200 picture and add the two wallpapers in. I've added an example.

Nitrogen does not work in Gnome.

fucking hell...oh well thanks for actually giving me an answer user

1) If I want to move from debian stable to testing, should I change security lists
deb security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
deb-src security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

too? If I should, what is the reason behind it?
2) How can I make "stock" xfce in debian less clumsy, more usable and good-looking like xubuntu did, without spending days on ricing?

Thanks in advance, sorry for my potato englando.

should i root my galaxy s3, i havent changef anything on it

Yes

what is best way? i saw some chinese app but it looks like it is virus

Why use a WM at all then?
Why not just give in and use the predetermined style of a DE and never change it?

>plain text
I shouldnt have to learn a scripting language to edit my config. Check last thread for snippets

Yes.

Install a custom recovery through odin. Install SuperSU through the custom recovery.

You should just jump into it and install a custom ROM as well. The GS3 hasn't been updated since 4.2 or 4.3 or something.

How do you guys cope with the lack of Microsoft Office support? I need it to do assignments and work related stuff. I currently dual boot windows and linux but find myself crawling back to windows because of Microsoft office. Any suggestions?
Btw I think this Microsoft Office issue should be addressed in the OP.

I use windows in a VM with seamless mode.

LibreOffice. What exactly do you need office for when LibreOffice does pretty much everything Microshaft's crap does? I can't think of a feature that MS Office has that is groundbreaking.

If you absolutely, positively, need Microsoft Office, then use a virtual machine. However you'll find that LibreOffice will serve you just as well.

Mainly group projects and collaboration stuff. The compatibility issue is horrendous

T-teach me master....

1) secure-testing-master.debian.net/
You mind as well

2) Sorry, I dunno.

download virtualbox, get a Windows ISO, activate it somehow, setup a Windows virtual machine, and then enter Seamless mode after you login.

You can search most of those steps for more details, and virtualbox makes it pretty simple to setup & use.

WGET. Progress bar. No clobbing.
How to detect when the progress bar is printed? It's not printed every time, due to "no clobbing".
"$?" is out of question! WGET returns "0" every time it works, downloading or not something.

I can't seem to find any programs I install through wine. Google tells me they should be at /home/username/.wine/drive_c, but it's not there. Where else could they be?

They will be in your that location unless you made a different wine prefix. If you did the standard things then they will be in /home/yourname/.wine/drive_c/Program Files.

Search for the files if you can't fine them.

Thanks.

any good linux related youtube channel?

sed -u 's/.* \([0-9]\+%\)\ \+\([0-9.]\+.\) \(.*\)/\1\n# Downloading at \2\/s, ETA \3/'

This guy has some entertaining talks on Linux and has recently started a YouTube podcast/talkshow thing about a variety of Linux-related topics.

youtube.com/user/BryanLunduke/videos?view=0&flow=grid&sort=dd

(GNU/Linux to be more precise)

What's the best one for steam?

... I guess the episode where he interviews various Linux youtubers would probably interest you:
youtube.com/watch?v=Sb7UmXhs32M

20 years so far for me. Living the linux life at home, but fluffing MS balls with .NET and C# mainly at work. Pay is too damn good to say no.

Why use YouTube? Google isn't your friend. It tracks you, the content isn't free (as in freedom) to share...

>Why use YouTube?
It's the largest online video platform with the most users and content by far.

>Google isn't your friend
Duh, it's a company

>It tracks you
Why do you give a shit if anyone has info about when and where you watch videos? If anything, the info is more useful for statistics more than tracking your location, but then those aren't mutually exclusive.

>the content isn't free (as in freedom) to share...
If you really want to avoid using anything proprietary to watch YouTube, you can use youtube-dl to download videos.

>It's the largest online video platform with the most users and content by far.
And why not use Windows 10 then? It's the most used operating system with the majority of programs. Freedom is more important than innovation or popularity. Argumentum ad populum!

I was playing around with my graphics card trying to get it to work with xcom 2 and I entered in a command like update-configure cfg or something I need to find out what it is and it listed like three lgrtx options and a final mesa option which were numbered and have priority like 99 98 and 5. I chose the mesa one and reboot my computer and now the gui is gone anyone know what the command was?

Not him but your argument is pathetic and non sensible.

Newb here whats faster VirtualBox or booting from USB

By faster I kind of mean whats easier I guess.

Downloading ubuntu from virtual box. 1 hour left to download thanks to at&t

What distro would you recommend to install into a AMD E450 (1.4GHz) with 4GB RAM. I tried so far with Ubuntu MATE which was too slow, and now i'm using xubuntu. Do I need to install arch plus some lightweight DE?

booting from usb

Thanks. Last question now.

Does my usb have to be solely for Linux? I have a 32gb one for school that keep books on and stuff. Can I use that one or does it have to be wiped?

If wiped can I save stuff on there afterwards?

Just search in your shell history. It's ~/.bash_history if you use bash

>And why not use Windows 10 then?
Windows in general is proven malware/spyware with a universal backdoor to install updates to modify the OS however they want. They use the OS as a way to take advantage of users and make a profit. I don't know of any evidence that YouTube has ever mistreated its users in a malicious way (besides fucking with the site design over the years, and their shitty guidelines/rules). Also because GNU/Linux is a perfectly valid alternative in nearly every way (and superior in other ways), whereas YouTube really has no competition in terms of content.

Also also, lemme repeat, you can avoid everything proprietary about YouTube by downloading their (free format) webm files via youtube-dl, and playing them with your video player of choice.

Update-alternatives --config cfg thank you so much user

Can you refute it?

Antergos or Arch anywhere?

I want to try out Arch, dual booted with W10, on my pc. I want a quick install with minimal risk of fucking up the windows partition.

There's nothing to refute. Comparing visiting a website to play a video to using an OS is just silly. Typical freetard who tries to argue without really understanding what he's talking about.

arch, i cant get antergos cnchi to work properly

2>/dev/null
done and done

>I don't know of any evidence that YouTube has ever mistreated its users in a malicious way
See:
stallman.org/cgi-bin/showpage.cgi?path=/archives/2012-jul-oct.html&term=YouTube&type=norm&case=0
>22 October 2012 ( YouTube's biased copyright system )
>It's Time to Fix YouTube's Biased Copyright System!
>I think the root of the problem is depending on a centralized service for distributing videos on the Internet.
>There are things about YouTube I consider bad — for instance, the site requires the user to run some nonfree software or other (either Flash Player or the nonfree Javascript in the page). Google ought to fix that. The "Content ID" system is another problem, which this article talks about.
>Even if those were fixed, it would still be bad to depend on a centralized system. Google faces pressure for censorship, and it does business in many countries, which enables them to force Google to censor as they demand. The only solution is not to use such a system.
>This is why the Free Software Foundation does not use anyone else's video service. We distribute videos ourselves.

See: gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html
>On the Internet, proprietary software isn't the only way to lose your freedom. Service as a Software Substitute, or SaaSS, is another way to give someone else power over your computing.

Wow you can copy and paste from gnu, what a warrior you are.

Thank you. See my warrior outfit at

>using an image from a non free game
hmm

It doesn't matter, this is a free image.

you are hilarious.

Fuck them archbabbies right mate?

>Also also, lemme repeat, you can avoid everything proprietary about YouTube by downloading their (free format) webm files via youtube-dl, and playing them with your video player of choice.
Wrong, this does not completely avoid the proprietary copying property. You only break the law, you are not free as in freedom, you are free as in braking the law and not being detained. After detained, you have no freedom. So you are free as in fugitive.

YouTube supports financially the current copyright system, and this way mistreats the whole world. Information needs to be free.

>You only break the law, you are not free as in freedom, you are free as in braking the law and not being detained. After detained, you have no freedom. So you are free as in fugitive.
U wut m8

Copyright = IP = Intellectual Protecionism. You are not allowed to do anything with the content, besides watching. In some cases, like Hollywood movies, you are not even allowed to watch. So, when you download, you commit a crime, piracy. This is not freedom.

I hear good things about Krita but I am not a Photoshop user so I can't know.

Streaming youtube through free software is not illegal.

Streaming isn't what that comment referred to. That user was talking about youtube-dl.

Yes, youtube-dl is used for streaming.

I have tried many and settled on termite too. It has nice text based configuration. It's very simple and fast. It has modes like vim which you can select text with your keyboard. It's based on a modification of vte called vte3-ng so it probably has good compability.

Nope, it's used for downloading. Streaming is through livestreamer.

You can use youtube-dl to stream youtube videos. Jesus christ.

Consider the following:
Streaming is just downloading as well

can't get any distro to support the wireless card in my HP Probook 430 G1.
Here's an lspci:
03:00.0 Network controllerL Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n

please spoonfeed me; i'm retarded.

It depends on what distro you are currently using. With your package manager search 'broadcom' and download anything relating to drivers. This does require being connected to the internet though.

using an openSUSE livecd. just tried connecting an ethernet cable to the laptop and it doesn't autorecognize anything. is it supposed to?

>XML
>scripting language

Kill yourself, idiot.

>last updated operating system in 2012

This is hilarious.

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=217286

which color scheme is that

You are fucking retarded stop trying to help people.

still doesn't work.

The driver still needs the firmware installed in /lib/firmware

b43-fwcutter is a tool for extracting the firmware from the windows drivers, the package doesn't come with all the broadcom firmware.

is it not installed? i'm pretty sure i installed it from yast.

opensuse-guide.org/wlan.php says to use another repo. i guess i'll try that if i can figure out how to add it.

You tell me.
Do you see BCM43228?

I don't.

what exactly did it do when i installed pullin-bcm43xx-firmware then? was that not what i wanted?

broadcom-wl is installing now.

Dude the kernel module tells you exactly what to do, use b43-fwcutter.

I have no idea what that pullin package does and you obviously don't have the firmware so you may as well do it yourself.

>b43-fwcutter.
I don't know how to do that.

broadcom-wl clearly says it supports 4322- chipsets and yet I still have no internet access besides my tethered phone...

b43-fwcutter --help
I mean you can try the proprietary driver if you want, but you will have to blacklist b43 to use it.

says no man pages available and inappropriate target.
>blacklist b43 to use it
How do I do this?

I can't help you sorry.

What are some good KDE Plasma themes over than the default ones?

This is why linux is shit.

Dudes lying.

I would rather just use the proprietary drivers instead of fucking around with this.

nevermind. got it to work by just using sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
no idea what you wanted me to do with b43 cutter.

>no idea what you wanted me to do with b43 cutter.
I could tell.
Glad you got it working.

spoonfeed better next time.

Ever try to help someone that just makes shit up because they are too lazy to follow directions?

well i wasn't making it up when i said it told me man pages not available because it really did when i tried man b43-fwcutter and b43-fwcutter help and b43-fwcutter -help

had no idea -- is different than - and thought it would do the same thing. sorry.

/facepalm

Yeah they do it that way because -h is usually one letter so -h and -e can also be -he so when you do something long like help you want --help because -help could be the same as -h -e -l -p

I can't decide which DE to use.
KDE has too many features and shit I don't want, and it seems kind of slower.
I don't like the dock in regular ubuntu.

MATE seems like the way to go but I don't know if I like that either.

I'm coming from windows so maybe it's just because I'm not used to it

I had a broadcom card like that where drivers just would work. I ended up just buying a $20 intel card and swapped it out. Not going with a broadcom card ever again, it even played up with BSOD and dropouts in windows.

I had one that would hang for seconds at a time and drop packets with random disconnects unless I forced the TX rate to like 1-5mbps.

Also swapped it out for an Intel one.

Try Xfce, it's one of the more popular DEs on Cred Forums. It's very lightweight, and shouldn't feel alien from someone from windows.
Also kde on arch comes with nothing extra, if you aren't too serious on the slowness, try that.

I'm trying to download this
aur.archlinux.org/packages/dmmediaconverter/
But the PKGBuild file seem outdated.
So I modified the sources URL, but still can't get makepkg to work since it fails the MD5 checksum, despite having the same, I even downloaded the tarball and check the file myself.
Any ideas?
The modified PKGBuild file
hastebin.com/uguyoqawep.bash

It seems makepkg can't download from google drive. I could build your package by removing the url part after the file names. That way you tell it to look for the file in the folder. You can manually download it and put it in the folder.

No, you didn't check the MD5 hash, because it clearly isn't the same (in the AUR and the actual new file).

Wait, never mind, it is, I looked at the wrong one.

Assuming you're the guy who keeps asking the question, when I need only a progressbar (That's the point, isn't it?), I use curl -#.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Cred Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>you didn't check the MD5 hash
I'm telling you I did.
For both of the architectures, I though maybe I goofed and replaced the MD5 with each other, but nope, the MD5 checksum was correct.
>can't download from google drive
This is interesting.
Is it better to use makepkg then install the package with pacman or use yaourt -pi option?

If you started the build with yaourt, the build folder is probably still in /tmp. makepkg is probably a better option with these kind of manual things. You can skip several parts of the process for example. But do as you like as long as you can copy the said file in the build folder.

Am I missing something?
Doesn't makepkg just create a pkg.tar.xz file that can be installed by pacman?
Why do you need the build folder?

hey nig nogs!!!!!!1

what can i do to make GNOME titlebars 'thinner' they are too t h i c c for me!! can i make them thinner somehow??

ty for reading. hope u answer but i know this is not tech suport forum!

I am referring to the folder you copy files like PKGBUILD and several needed files to. It's automatically created in /tmp if you are using something like yaourt. Yaourt runs makepkg under this folder and the result is a tar.xz file.

1. Read the Wiki page about PKBUILDs and makepkg and how to create Arch packages
2. Create a package for something simple that you use
3. Comprehend the basics (you will never understand anything when you ask such stupid, out of order questions)
4. Create your own PKGBUILD for that program

Additional bonus extra pro-tip points for serious people

5a. Stop using Yaourt or other software which abstracts (easy) things for you
5b. Stop using that shitty non-free software converter

Thanks.
The tarball seems to have ffmpeg and ffprobe as well.
Will this replace my existing ffmpeg and ffprobe?

No, it won't replace your existing ffmpeg and ffprobe. If you look inside the created package its ffmpeg path is /usr/lib/dmmediaconverter/bin/x86_64-linux/ffmpeg

>using proprietary software that bundles its own binary ffmpeg version (not using the one installed by your package manager)

You might as well start using Windows.

I see, it uses it's own ffmpeg an ffprobe.
But why?
Isn't it better to have ffmpeg and ffprobe as dependencies?
Tochee.
What do yu suggest as a frontend for ffmpeg?

Next thread (I played a bit with the OP pasta, r8/bully):

It's better indeed, but the programmer intended this to be used as a portable program, and we made a package out of it. You see, we are the faulty ones. Just kidding.
I don't think the program will complain if you just link the ones from your system to the newly installed executables. But this is a guess, so it might not work.

fix this
>Learn the comman(d) line:
and
>/fglt/'(s) copypasta collection:

alright then

Ayy, fat fingers. Next time.

>portable program
I feel stupid for not noticing this.
I use ffmpeg mostly but some times you need some GUI to do some stuff.

>I use ffmpeg mostly but some times you need some GUI to do some stuff.
You are right, I don't agree with you might as well use Windows thing. It's not the same if you use a proprietary 3rd party software and if you run malware as your os.
But it would be much better if this was open source software.

>It's not the same if you use a proprietary 3rd party software and if you run malware as your os.
I doubt a propriety software can mess up your system unless it got root access.

>much better if this was open source software.
Do you know of any alternatives?

I honestly never needed much from ffmpeg other than basic subtitle conversion so I don't know if this is good but I found this. It is available in AUR.
qwinff.github.io/

I looked in the AUR for ffmpeg frontends.
I was going for it until I saw sourceforge

>he fell for the arch meme
wake up senpais, arch is a bloated cuck os

I honestly tried debian, gentoo, ubuntu and some others but nothing seems to work like arch does. The AUR is irreplaceable for me. Nothing is comfier. Also pacman is just so much faster than apt I can't believe debianfags can defend it. I also like the fact that I can just install arch from an existing distro. It only takes several minutes to a working arch install.
However if you have reasonable alternative, I am open to that.

Suicide

>shadow of the colossus

New Thread; New Thread; New Thread;

retard, already up here:

agreed bro. but GNOME sucks on a small 1300x900 monitor
its amazing on large monitors

>GNOME sucks on a small 1300x900 monitor
Why does everyone say this? What aspect of it is restricted by resolution? Is it because the "activities overview" requires high res to see any quality in its shrunken window previews? Because I disabled the upper left hot corner, I almost never use activities overview, and I switch between apps with dash-to-dock. So for me, I don't feel limited by my resolution any more than I was on any other DE.

After writing all that, I realized you're probably talking about the thick titlebars, and yeah those are like twice as thick as any other DE.

yes, too much space on the title bars, and spacing between the contorls
takes up too much real estate, but KDE is worser

only sometimes

packages can depend on a specific /versions/ of libraries, but this isn't always set
typically in arch it's assumed everything is up to date

you can install things without updating, but if you run into a problem, your first step should be to update everything else

>update everything else
>using -Syu
Always run -Syyu

i didn't mention -Syu, and -Syyu is only needed if your package lists are fucked up (forces list update even if it appears to be up to date)

You should to force it to update whenever you want to update your system.

it's only needed if your lists are damaged, for example, you started downloading one and it was interrupted
if your lists are up to date and undamaged, there's no advantage to downloading them again