Long range Wifi

Hey Cred Forums. I have a minor problem but would love this to be a general long range wifi thread. I can't get internet at my house. My grandpa lives 1200 feet away from my house. I have a cheapish router with decent range. I can pick up a signal and use it if im outside my house but it has metal siding and blocks everything inside. Whats the best cheapest way to get wifi over at my house from his? I need more than a dongle, more than one person in the house. Pretty sure the router in grandpas house supports bridging. I tried calling the internet companies. The wire literally ends 300 feet from my house and my neighbor gets it. They want 5000 for cable and the dsl company wont even let me pay them to run the wire.
I guess I get the last laugh, since we will get internet and pay only for one house.

Has anyone heard of ubiquity? I see claims of incredible range and people using it for some really long range 900 mhz connections. With the best gear possible how far can 2.4 ghz go? I know 900 does well since the lower frequency isn't as easily blocked. Assume best case scenario, how far could you shar wifi from a mcdonalds or a public library? Anyone have any experiments or experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi
makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/
serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=238023&gclid=CL-78J-Cms8CFQ1ahgodDX8BnA
amazon.com/Afoundry-Weatherproof-Wireless-Dual-polarized-Directional/dp/B01BZYYFLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474249671&sr=8-1&keywords=directional wifi
amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanobeam-Wireless-Bridge-NBE-M5-16/dp/B00K8OCW1S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474261178&sr=8-2&keywords=ubiquiti nanobeam 16
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump.

Install Gentoo
Use /sqt/

What if i delete system 32?

If it's all private land, I would run an Ethernet line.

If not, a directional antenna, and a wifi repeater that that has a direct line of sight ans possibly a directional antenna as well.

How far can an ethernet wire go?

Wire

far

google it

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

100 meters is the maximum for all the standard UTP cables used with Ethernet. I would set up a point-to-point wireless link. You can usually find ones that have a very high throughput, but very low range for not much money.

300 feet without a repeater. Not far enough and it would cross someone else land. Neato though, Least I can have the antenna anywhere around the house or yard.

Buy an Alfa usb antenna.

If you can get it outside your house this will pick it up inside with decent strength. Plus you can crack other networks with it.

Either that or stick a repeater somewhere or mod it with a Pringles can.

Why don't you just buy a box of cat5 and run it and crimp it yourself?

What if I used a repeater with two antenna ports, one with a directional and one with a omni going to inside the house? My house completely blocks wifi, i need some way of bringing it in.

Hello, look up directional antennas and wds bridging.

Repeaters are shit. The PTP units will be on the outside of your house.

crosses neighbors property and i need wifi in the house for multiple users.

If it has to be cheap I think you will need pringles
makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/

Not that cheap per say but I don't want to buy equipment i dont need. By the looks of it i need a wifi router and a access point with ethernet hook ups and run it into the house.

You're a retard

How hard would it be to crack someones network? I saw a video a while back on how to do it.
Inform me a little bit more.

serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_lookup.asp?pid=238023&gclid=CL-78J-Cms8CFQ1ahgodDX8BnA

About 150m without repeaters.

this is wrong. at 10/100/1000BASE-T cat 6a will give you 100 meters as per standard. after that you're on your own with attenuation.

CAT6a does 100m for 10GbE. GbE only requires CAT5e for 100m.

Get 2 directional wifi antennas like amazon.com/Afoundry-Weatherproof-Wireless-Dual-polarized-Directional/dp/B01BZYYFLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474249671&sr=8-1&keywords=directional wifi and point them at eachother. You can easily get up to a mile with good line of sight. I did this to run a webcam on an island for a college project and it worked very well once you get the aligned.

Ubiquity Nanostation

>Has anyone heard of ubiquity? I see claims of incredible range and people using it for some really long range 900 mhz connections. With the best gear possible how far can 2.4 ghz go?

Are you cityfag or rural?

Utility companies use 900 spectrum for remote metering so it can get a lot of interference.

2.4Ghz runs into interference in urban areas because everyone and their dog has a 2.4 WiFi router.

5Ghz works well, but you need LoS for a good connection.

A pair of these

amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanobeam-Wireless-Bridge-NBE-M5-16/dp/B00K8OCW1S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474261178&sr=8-2&keywords=ubiquiti nanobeam 16

would work well for connecting two homes.

Set them up as a bridge and configure your WiFi router as a simple hotspot in the 2nd location; also, set it to 2.4Ghz only so it doesn't interfere with the PtP link.

I own a rural ISP and use Ubiquiti equipment. We use higher end equipment and connect to fiber over 50 miles away in two hops.

Get on the roofs and point to directional antennae at each other. If you have line of sight, you can go quite far. This is how we get internet to locations that ISP will not service. You may have to spend some bucks for legitimate equipment, but considering you were going to spend $50/mo for real ISP service, it'll pay for itself in a few months.

Not OP, but if you connected a cantenna to a wifi router being used as a repeater in the second home would it be recognized fine as a regular antenna?