4K less than 40 inch, am I missing something?

Why do people buy those 27 inch 4K monitors? The PPI is unusable and you have to scale which fucks your shit up in most programs. Then you only really use that 4K while watching videos (the few sample 4K videos on youtube?) and playing games at low FPS.

Pls explain. Even at 40 inch the PPI is still 110, which is what I prefer, but remember most monitors are 91 PPI (FHD 24 inch)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jt5oE0gpnnk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do BLACKED.COM got 4k videos?

maybe with MACs its OK I guess? I hear their scaling actually just works.

Not everyone uses a retarded OS that doesn't have good scaling support.

Clarity of text.

At least that's why I'd buy one.

I have a note 4 phone with super hidpi and I'd love it if monitors were this sharp.

The point of high PPI is that no matter how much you scale things look good since the individual pixels are so damn small.

The main point of high PPI isn't more desktop real estate. It is to make everything look crisp and sharp (providing you don't have a 40 inch 4K screen)

16x9 4k is useless.
21:9 1440x3440 is where its at.
>Movie format
>Easy multi task on a single screen
>Amazing gaming experience
What tangible benefit does a 16:9 4K screen give? Maybe photo editing.

>paying more for less space and less pixels
Good goyim.

Owls have the sharpest vision of all the animals and owls are a symbol of the illuminati.

Coincidence?

Good 40" 4k display?

ultrawide is masterrace, but its way too overpriced, I can get a fucking 65 inch top of the line 4K TV for the same price with 10000 times the functionality and connectors and shit.

40 inch for reference

youtube.com/watch?v=jt5oE0gpnnk

>>Movie format
Aspect ratios yes.
Resolution no. You're scaling it from something like 1920x800 to 3440x1440. That's a very odd numbered magnification in scaling and results in a blurry picture. Also most 1080p content looks shit at 1440p.

For the rest, 21:9 is awesome.

Depends on the viewing distance from the monitor.
I have a 27 Inch monitor and it's godlike for watching documentaries. Also during coding there's a lot of stuff i can fit on the screen without having to tab.
40 Inches of 4k means you need to move your neck a lot, something I already have to do, especially when I know there's a notification on my screen somewhere and i need to look around for it.

>you have to scale which fucks your shit up in most programs

Stop using shitty programs.

Find me functioning alternatives that don't suck

Which programs you use don't have scaling?

I have a 24" 4k monitor, it rules. I wish it was 27" but honestly this is fucking fantastic

because you are retarded and dont know how tech works

high res on small screen means sharper image

>Why do people buy those 27 inch 4K monitors?
To use them at 200% scaling.

32" UHD is perfect for me. Wouldn't do less.

Bitch this ain't no mall

I can see the pixels on 40" monitors. can't see them on smaller screens.

It really doesn't fuck up your shit in most programs
especially if you use a non-shit operating system

my 15" laptop has a 4k display and it looks super sharp. I can zoom way out and text is still very clearly readable, I can easily open two windows that split the screen in half and read full pages of text in each window

If anything I feel like its the opposite effect. anything over 40" and you're likely to be sitting far back enough that you won't really notice the increase in resolution over 1080p.

However for the really large displays, 60" or higher, 4k becomes viable again because 60"+ is really too large to blow up 1080p and not see some pixelation from living room distances.

I'm extremely satisfied with my 15" 4k laptop. it isn't just 4k videos (as common as they are), or gaming at low fps, every time your computer renders a screen it renders it in 4k. browsing and any other form of computing is done in 4k. the PPI is extremely usable and most programs scale just fine. I still run in to a few that don't scale properly but its really not that much of a problem, its really just a few clicks away to change screen res to something smaller.

Its really nice knowing that I can run any program or play pretty much any video under the sun in native resolution because of the 4k display

>my 15" laptop has a 4k display

I have a 4k laptop as well. Bought it 2 plus years ago poorfag.

It's got nothing to do with money, dumbass. 4K on portable devices is incredibly retarded.

Its no different than the people with 1080p phone screens. They look super fucking sharp for a reason, people notice it and like it better. Why would you not want that high pixel density on a computer monitor?

literally the only legit reason is that many programs on windows don't follow the windows dpi scale settings. but thats a shitty reason for shitty windows cucks

really its the developers fault for the individual programs that fail to scale with windows. It doesn't mean high resolution displays are meaningless or that 4k is somehow past the point of practical use

Phones with >720x1280 screens are just as retarded.

How so? Only reason would be battery life.

Again how so? Battery life? Only reason.

>battery life
Exactly.

Both battery life and performance.
There is no advantage to having 4k on a mobile device. It's just straight up stupidity for the sake of marketing.

All I can deduce from your postings is that you've never actually used a extremely high dpi screen and you're satisfied with whatever low resolution you happen to be running with

Trust me dude the high dpi screens look fucking great. I've never used a 4k phone but I would even assume they they look significantly better than 1080p phone screens. The human eye can see a remarkable amount of detail, really no reason not to keep pushing display density
"retina" display is a meme marketing term, no such lcd display exists on the open market for consumers

You think I don't like high PPI screens? They're fucking great. Until battery technology actually progresses though they're pants on head retarded in anything portable.

Ugh I would argue that pushing a 4k resolution instead of 1080p or 1440p is by definition increasing performance.

I'm not saying 4k is the best.
I'm just saying that High DPI is better than Low DPI

>playing games on a screen that's so high res you don't need anti aliasing
Granted, I've only been able to do that with old games that aren't very demanding, but still, it's awesome.

so your whole argument is that high dpi screen on battery powered devices is retarded because it uses more battery power?

Honestly I don't even know what to say
you know all of these things can plug into AC power and run off the grid right?
The batteries charge up and you take them with you, thats what makes them portable.

My 4k laptop gets like 6 hours battery life, I thinks thats pretty reasonable. 1080p phones go all day, also pretty practical. Most people leave their laptop plugged into the wall for 90% of the life of the computer anyways I think your argument is invalid

I would love for consumer monitors to one day reach the ppi that's available on smaller phones. 1080p is enough for a 5.5 inch phone because the ppi is 400 and text already looks sharp enough.

4k on a 27 inch screen is still around only half of that. I would love 8k resolution on a "27 monitor one day ;_;

It is by definition decreasing performance when the hardware doesn't have the required processing power to run it properly.

Yeah, high DPI is better than low DPI, but it only matters up to a certain point, after which you get diminishing returns up the ass in regards to sharpness because your eyes don't give a shit.
When it comes to mobile devices, 4k might be worthwhile in 14" or 15.6" ultrabooks, especially with Kaby Lake being very good at 4k video playback. But if we're looking at tablets and phones, 1440 is already overkill.

>so your whole argument is that high dpi screen on battery powered devices is retarded because it uses more battery power?
Yes, until battery life isn't shit putting battery draining shit like unnecessarily high PPI screens in mobile devices is retarded.
>you know all of these things can plug into AC power and run off the grid right?
No fucking shit, doesn't do you much good when you've got no fucking outlet to charge your device with because you're not at fucking home.
>The batteries charge up and you take them with you, thats what makes them portable
Yes, and until said batteries are capable of actually providing decent battery life, high PPI screens in mobile devices will remain retarded.
>6 hours
>in 2016
I have laptops that are literally 10 years old and can get that. That's fucking terrible, thank you for proving my point.

>6 hours terrible.
Cool.

>most monitors are 91 PPI
Disgusting. How far away do you have to be for that to not look awful?

Because why not? My Dell P2715Q gives me sharpness and detail paired with impeccable colors. And even with 150% scaling (Win 10 does a great job at scaling btw), all the icons, thumbnails, letters look outrageously crisp and sharp, which makes desktop use so much more comfortable than you'd expect. I wish I could use a 4k monitor with every computer all the time.
Also, the GTX 1080 does very well at 4k gaming. I'm currently replaying GTA V at 4k nearly maxed out, and the frame rate is sweet 60fps with nigh zero drops. It's such a good card, fuck.

It's still not that bad. Newer 4k laptops last a long time on battery. Buy one and see for yourself

>whines that everything should have modern tech such as high ppi displays
>is completely okay with living in 2006 when it comes to battery life
Do you enjoy hypocrisy?

It's ass.
>Buy one
No thanks, I like my current laptop and am not going to downgrade to some low battery life 16:9 shittop

>Yeah, high DPI is better than low DPI, but it only matters up to a certain point, after which you get diminishing returns up the ass in regards to sharpness because your eyes don't give a shit

Difference between 1440p and 4k is quite substantial even at 27", if you're not half blind. 4k looks twice as good, unsurprisingly. Sell that 1440p panel as long as there are idiots willing to buy.

Portable battery life
>removable battery
>plug and charge
Why are you trolling?

I think you're overestimating the needs of the vast majority of laptop users.

I agree 6 hours battery life is low, but its not retarded low. Thats way more than long enough for me to move the computer from outlet to outlet while its running, say if I wanted to switch rooms. Thats way more than long enough for me to leave the computer on while I do errands or commute. Thats actually long enough for the vast majority of laptop users demands on their battery.

These are all things that would be impossible or seriously impractical if you wanted your 4k display while you're not at home, and you lived by the creed that no modern battery powered device should be wasting its precious battery power on frivolous things like high dpi displays.

I agree its a frivolous use of battery power, but honestly most of the features on devices today are. It doesn't mean they're retarded

Yes, of course it's substantial at fucking 27".
Did you completely miss the point of the post being about >mobile devices< ?

I'm not trolling. Would you mind retyping your post so it actually makes sense?

>not good enough battery for you
>shitop
K

its still pretty substantial at 15"

>poor battery life
>horrible aspect ratio
>not shit
K

>4k might be worthwhile in 14" or 15.6" ultrabooks, especially with Kaby Lake being very good at 4k video playback
Next time try reading the posts you're replying to instead of making yourself look like a complete retard.

>I would love 8k resolution on a "27 monitor one day ;_;

No worries, just a few more years. Expect people to bitch and whine and kick and bite and say 4k is enough, though.

>aspect ratio fags in this thread
HURR ITS TOO MUCH WIDER THAN IT IS TALL!
HURR ITS TOO MUCH TALLER THAN IT IS WIDE!
literally this is the aspect ratio argument
its fucking silly and an entirely subjective opinion

16:9 is objectively shit.

Try writing posts people want to read. Not my fault you're an ass-backwards fuck who thinks portables should stop advancing in order to conserve battery life. Like holy shit how often did you even smash your head as a kid.

1440p is the ideal resolution for a 27 inch monitor. good PPI, no need for scaling, plenty sharp enough, and if you're a gaymur it's a lot easier to run than 4k.

Trolling

>waah he's saying things I don't like, clearly he's a troll

>tfw this thread is full of people who are part of the reason why 15.6" 1366x768 displays still exist

>everyone uses it and enjoys
>hurr its shit. No im right. Fuck 16:9
Trolling

See

>wahhhh they like 16:9 high res products
>wahhhh my chinkpad is the best.
K

>good PPI

opinion

seriously though what the fuck does Kaby Lake being good at 4k playback have anything to do with diminishing returns of 4k resolutions on a 15" display

15" displays are usually connected to battery powered laptops, and 15" 4k displays look way better than 1080p 15" displays

Electricity in my country is cheap enough that I don't fucking care how much power my 4k display drains from my battery. I have outlets at work, at home, and everywhere in between. Having a 4k display portable like that Is fucking great and batteries aren't some kind of precious resource.

You're a fucking moron. Also, I've never owned a ThinkPad.

It's not about how much power you're pulling from mains, it's about how much power your device draws when mains aren't around.

>continues to use derogatory names
>I'm not trolling i swear
K

>The PPI is unusable and you have to scale which fucks your shit up in most programs.

Windows pleb detected. Real OSes don't have that issue.

>only trolls insult their opponents
Your Internet hugbox is that way >>>/reddit/

>seriously though what the fuck does Kaby Lake being good at 4k playback have anything to do with diminishing returns of 4k resolutions on a 15" display
Kaby Lake uses much, much less power during 4k video playback than previous generation.
Less power draw from the processor means more battery life.
Thus, Kaby Lake is better for 4k laptops than Skylake.

17 inch 4k here
I scale to ~1440p but the main advantage that makes it worth it to me is how nice text looks onscreen. Even if you have a shit renderer it looks nice at such high dpi

I've never been trying to use my laptop more than 6 hours away from my next available power outlet. not in years. maybe if I go camping or something but i don't live in a 3rd world country where outlets are always occupied or power is scarce or unreliable.

6hrs is for a extremely thin 4k ultrabook btw, thats not a standard laptop sized battery in there. Its way way more than enough time for me to move my laptop to the next outlet.

I would hardly call that retarded, and most laptop users have the same usage habits. plug in where you happen to be using the laptop, batteries basically just keep it on in between outlets or for very short sessions.

wrong image, not that it matters

But the great thing about high DPI monitors is you can run games at 1/4 the resolution to avoid interpolation/blurriness and it'll still look OK. If you have a 4k monitor, you can run everything besides games at 4k and it'll look great, and run games at 1080p for maximum performance. And if poor windows scaling bugs you that much, 1440p is a good compromise (I got this because 1440p 144hz is the best I could afford for gaming).

Also, who says you have to play modern/the most demanding games all the time? Older games look great on higher DPI monitors, and even mid range GPUs can run games from like 5+ years ago at high resolutions and frame rates. There's literally no reason to be against high DPI monitors on desktops. The only reason to not buy them is cost.

have 4k and I can confirm
useful for asian characters like 蒙

otherwise a bit of a meme

>My Dell P2715Q gives me sharpness and detail paired with impeccable colors.

I went with the 24" version explicitly because of the bump in pixel density (185ppi). It absolutely blows my mind that desktop monitors are still mostly around 90-100ppi when mid-range laptops have been near to 150ppi for years, and phones twice that again. For fuck's sake, my ThinkPad T21 had 124ppi SIXTEEN FUCKING YEARS AGO.

People keep wondering why no one buys new computers when the industry is stagnating on almost every front.

Underrated post.