Headphones & DAC General

I have just bought this Scarlett studio, went to the store for the interface and i also wanted a mic, guy showed me this whole bundle and i just took it.
Are the headphones good anyhow or they just put "something" into the box to make it a bundle ?

Also general DAC / Amp / headphones thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UdeSbvVba-o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The USB interface is great for the price, I don't know about the rest

i have just unpacked it, while watching this guy reviewing it, definitely good purchase
youtube.com/watch?v=UdeSbvVba-o

Wanted to buy the same interface, are you happy with it?

kek shoulda got a steinberg

explain

Whats the point of wasting money on a dac if you can get an audio interface that does the same thing + more

I don't know about the scarlet but the steinberg interfaces I was looking at had pretty shit output for the headphones, would connecting a headphone to one of these just be the lowest volume and sound like shit otherwise?

Using the dt770 80ohms as a reference

Anyone know if the scarlet solo mutes the speakers when you plug in the headphones?

Nope. You need to use the mix control for that

Interface is good. Mic is meh. Headphones are garbage imo

UR22 mediocre race reporting in

does nothing wrong, great unit. Wish I had like 8 more inputs and more midi though. next up, motu

80 ohm is not enough to make a huge difference on headphones preamp like these. If you are talking about the steinberg ur22, im sure you wouldnt have heard any differences.

Which is better, ur22mkii or 2i2

2i2 has better mic preamps. Ur22 is also very decent for the price and its still better than m-audio or presonus

Is it like this with all audio interfaces? That's kind of shit.

Also, how do these work without audio editing gear, I mean like the mic and headphone plugged in and you're on Skype or some shit, I read on some forums that people are able to hear all audio coming from the device including music/games but that can't be right

Can anybody give me a decent reason to actually invest in an audio interface? I do electronic music production but don't use any physical hardware currently. right now I'm using a 3.5mm TRS to dual XLR connected to my powered monitors directly, with ASIO4ALL. If there is any noise from electromagnetic interference coming from inside my computer, it's completely unnoticeable. The only advantages I can see would be
>clip indicator (my daw tells me if i'm clipping anyway
>physical level control knob instead of using the OS's volume adjust, i guess
>easier access to a headphone port
I feel like the general consensus is your not really into audio if you don't have one, but why?

Since we rarely have a thread about this
What the best mic in a $100 price range
And what is the best interface for $150

are DACs a meme? I mean like hi-fi ones. I have an audiobox USB which I'm using with like a 1k+ hi fi stereo but I wonder if the meme audiophile dacs would make a difference. anyone here know?

Mod Mic

No

I'm talking about a true micro
I already have one like this

I have a soundcard, Xonar Essence ST.
Just how much better would a DAC priced around $300-500 be?
Current headphones are Beyerdynamic t90's but would be willing to find a $1k pair if I found a buyer for the t90's

i have this and a single sm57 since i heard it's a solid mic

i want to get another microphone and play around with stereo recording

what's a good companion microphone to the sm57?

Not OP, but I would definitely recommend this interface.
Pic related: 2nd generation of 2i4

tl;dr latency

A decent amount of people who record music are using microphones to record guitar amps, drums, vocals, and so on. When you record like this, you record one track at a time to balance the levels of each source. Obviously in order to play in time you need to hear the other tracks in your headphones. There can be a significant delay when playing back audio through a motherboard's "default" audio chip, making playing in time difficult. Audio interfaces are designed to minimize latency, so that playing to the beat of what you hear is properly recorded.

Get the Metric Halo. Best interface ever and future proof

Is it worth buying a DAC for my DT770s (80ohm)? And how much should I spend on one? Will a FiiO E10K or something in that pricerange give me a decent upgrade from an old mediocre Intel motherboard?

You don't really need it if you're not recording with XLR mics and whatnot.
But it's good to have for better ASIO drivers. And if you're using OSX you don't even need that.

What's with people saying that they want a DAC?

No.

>tl;dr
if you'd read my 2nd sentence you'd see that I only use vst instruments and and effects, but thanks anyhow. If I find a hardware synth I wan't bad enough I'll have to get an interface then.

My motherboard makes fuzzy noises at loud volume, and my laptop just sounds like shit, why would I not want something that will sound less bad when I try to damage my hearing?

Hmm that's a good reason to get a external DAC.

>Copypasta
Amplifier/DAC checklist:
-Is it too quiet?
-Is the output impedance too high (fixable by equalization)?
-Is there noise/EMI or hiss to it?
-Does it sound distorted as you start to crank up the volume?
If the answer is no, you don't need one.

>-Is the output impedance too high (fixable by equalization)?
Equalization is about frequency response. Impedence is about efficient energy transfer.
They aren't even in the same engineering fields.

I currently have a blue yeti (not pro) which works great, if I were to get an audio interface is there a mic in the 100 dollar range that would match what I currently have?

Firewire is better if youre going to record music with it.

USB is only good for music recording if you have a 4, 8, or 16 track r2r or cassette and want to send the stereo mix to computer.