/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Cred Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JRD13T8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474293300&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=sony bass booster&dpPl=1&dpID=31O0Auv0ucL&ref=plSrch
nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-power.html.
en.goldenears.net/5982
thestatusaudio.com/products/cb1
en.goldenears.net/14410
en.goldenears.net/4726
amazon.com/dp/B006N43MEI/
amazon.com/gp/product/B00SOM7XJC/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS99BT-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B015N52YUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1474226669&sr=1-1&keywords=ath-WS99BT
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4complaintsaboutfullOP

>Budget
Up to £300 or so

>Location

UK

>Source

PC. Has something like a 600ohm amp in the mobo.

>Preferred type of headphone

Circumaural, open or closed.

>Comfort level

Maximum comfort level needed, not audiophile enough to notice anything other than comfort.

>Past headphones

DT770 Pros

>modmic costs $50
fuck no. Ill buy an SF or BM from chinks instead

Shit OP, shit thread

If you don't care enough about sound quality you don't need 300 pesos headphones, paco.
Consider getting something comfy that's on the cheap side. I really like my AKG K550's because of the extremely soft leatherette earpads and huge earcups that allow for a nice snugly fit.

>inaftercomplaintaboutfullOP

>SF or BM from chinks
Got a link? It would be nice to see some more competition for the micmod other than DIYs or products that only work with a couple of headphones.

HD600/650. Let it stretch overnight over some books if the initial clamp force is too much.

Some antlion chink mic got popular on reddit not too long ago. I think it was even on Massdrop for like 30 bucks.

Theyre desktop mics.

Is there any reason besides aesthetics to go with HD 598 or 558s?

You could also get a DSLR clip on mic like the Boya for 20 USD

*over 558s

>budget
$150 with some wiggle room
>location
USA
>source
PC
>preferred type of headphone
full-sized overear
>open or closed
doesn't matter
>comfort level
I'd prefer having better sound quality over comfort.
>past headphones
Apple Earbuds and ATH M50x

>leatherette

I'm gonna try these out. Probably the 650.

>his ears sweat when wearing headphones
How fucking fat do you have to be

AKG K612

Lots of options at that price point.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
Fostex T50RP MK3
Some AKG
Some Sennheiser

>Budget
$25
>Location
Russia
>Source
Laptop, smartphone
IEMs, not earbuds
>Comfort level
Comfort over quality
>Preferred tonal balance
No fucking idea. I listen all kinds of shit.
>Past headphones
Philips SHE9000 (I was content with them, but they broke and I can't find replacement in my city)

>just bought an used O2+ODAC combo for £96

What's good for akg

Is MDR 7506 worth it for 95 USD?

K612, K702, K7XX, K553 pro

Where??

$150-200
USA
Desktop, smartphone, laptop
Full-size overear
Open or closed doesn't matter
I don't want these to be a pain to wear for an hour or two
Sennheiser HD 419, Logitech g430

I've been thinking about either the m50x or the HD 598s. Thoughts?

Oh also, forgot to add, nothing that requires a DAC or amp.

Has more to do with how much heat dissipates from your head. My BMI is 22 and I get heat build-up with certain headphones, I usually take them off before they actually get sweaty.

>recommended m50x
>decide to demo it at a shop
>demo it along with other headphones
>realize that the m50x sounds like a fucking walkie talkie playing through a tin can

Why is it so recommended

Oh yeah

I feel the same way about the dt770, everyone recommends it and I went to try it at a store and was pretty disappointed. Sounded so dull

So I got the 990Zs a few day ago.

Coming from a open headphone background, i'm impressed . V shaped definitely lots of bass and highs and but not overdone. Mids are still very good and present like most AT cans. Very sensitive, can pick up my amplifiers noise floor (TEAC AI301DA), unlike my SPH9500s which i have been using a replacement for my old broken AD900s (SHP9500s are boring shiet in comparison and I never should have bothered with them.)

Please hit that subscribe button and support me on patreon. Thank you for your time /hpg/.

I dont browse Cred Forums to much I am looking for a new Headset for gaming.

I was wondering if some kind anons could help me find some good choice hardware for sitting at a computer and using voice chat.

>Budget
$150 or under, but want quality headphones
>Location
usa
>Source
Pc with soundblaster soundcard and phone if 3.5mm
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
As comfy as possible, needs to be over ear
>Preferred tonal balance
Around m50x, don't like the steep curves of beats or flat neutral balances
>Past headphones
Logitech h540 (not bad but not over ear tier)
Razer Kraken 7.1 (garbage tier)
Soundblaster Recon 3D Omega (nice but get hot and break at cups)

>Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
>Wireless is frowned upon.
>Headset requests are frowned upon.
Fucking dogshit OP.

That's the rule for all hpgs you dum

No, it isn't retard.

Part One
>Budget
limited at about $92 american dollars (or $1800 mexican pesos, money exchange is a bitch)
>Location
Mexico City
LOCAL STORES:
BestBuy
Liverpool
El Palacio de Hierro
Sanborns
There's also a tecnology-specialized area in the city centre known as "plaza de la tecnología" with tons of stores, also, near that place there are professional audio stores
>Source
Mainly going to use them on my Moto X Play w/Poweramp & Win 10 Groove player (I'm a dirty peasnt I know, but just found out this board exists) with .flac, .m4a and .mp3
I'm pretty much used to IEMs, I feel that they can deliver the most sound without letting much of it bleed. PLUS, they are way cheaper than buying noise cancellation-open ones
>Open or closed
If I were to buy full sized headphones, I would prefer that sound stayed with me, so I'm going with closed ones
>Comfort level
I have ridiculously sensitive ears: I used to have over-the-ear noise cancelating headphones (ie Beats Studio, I know, I'm a niggr) and the outer part of my ears hurted like hell after 30 mins of use, that's why my way-to-go has always been IEMs, but I would really like good audio quality
>Preferred tonal balance
Don't know if this helps but, my favourite genres are: Alternative/indie, rock (not heavy), pop and a bit of EDM

yeah nah get fucked cunt.

>good choice hardware for sitting at a computer and using voice chat.

Have a seat.

Sannhauser

Part Two
>Past headphones
ZAGGsmartbuds (IEMs)
The coating protecting the cable was pretty cool, so was sound quality, plus they came with a bit of accesories on the tips department, only used the medium silicone ones tho - MAYOR DOWNSIDE: they got f'd up really fast (the kevlar-like inside coating got, dragged down? quick with the exterior plastic coating)
Skullcandy ink'd (IEMs)
Overall good sound and cheap price tag, (also loved the flat cable)
Monster Beats Studio (Around ear headphones)
The thing that drawed me to buy them was the noise cancelation and the so called "good sound quality". I liked them, but as I mentioned, they hurted my ears like hell
Skullcandy dime (IEMs)
Again, excelent sound quality vs price tag (at least in México), plus the design on the black version kicked ass, though it was printed on plastic and got off really quick
Turtle beach XLa (around ear headphones)
They were on sale ok? stop judgin. So, this ones are actually pretty comfortable, and the sound doesn't bleed that much.
Urbanears Medis (Earbuds?)
Those were an impulse buy because they were on sale, the design was pretty unusual for me, but they had something... STILL, they hurted my ears like hell too, and the sound bleed, so I had to bring them back to the store. The sound was pretty good tho
Urbanears Kransen (IEMs) - Now using them
I just LOVE this bad boys, from the design to the sound, I swear that I could hear new sounds on my songs with them. I think that not only they are funtional (they have a lego-like thing that snaps them together and a "cable holder" built in the upper part of the jack to secure the entire cable)

E10

indeed, it isn't retard at all.

You guys probably were used to very different sound signatures. That's why you should always test a headphone before buying anyway, there's no way of knowing for sure if something will please you sound wise.

Is there a close backed alternative to the hd598?

What the fuck.

kys

>Budget
$130
>Location
Poland
>Source
E-MU 0202
Full-size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort
Don't care
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Superlux HD660

New to /hpg/ or just trying to pick a fight?

>budget
50€ flexible budget(55$/42,81£)
>location
Germany, any online retailer
>source
PS4 Controller, N3DSXL, Samsung 32 inch HD ready headphone jack (extension cord), phone and ipad on occasion
>preferred type
full sized
>open or close
leaning towards closed but I'm flexible
>comfort level
Eh whatever as long as it doesn't hurt me. I think I'd like them to be light and secure
>preferred tonal balance
completely neutral, just give me the sound as it was intended to be heard/recorded
>past headphones
absolute trash, but not that I'd be able to tell
>little background/requirement/future usuage
been using cheap headphones from KIK(local budget market) and crappy in-ears. Never concerned myself with headphone quality, that's why I don't want to splurge.
I'm gonna be using these mainly for watching movies on my PS4, and gaming on PS4, 3DS and PS3(using TVs headphone jack).
I just want them to sound as neutral and accurate as possible(for the price).
This is just hearsay but I heard for gaming(not my main use but definitely important!) you want a good soundstage. Don't know if that's possible with my budget but maybe soundstage isn't all that important.

On a related note: How is the PS4 Gold headset for ~85€?

>electrostat
>intense goldfish scooping

>Budget
$~70
>Location
USA
>Source
Note 4 with Poweramp
In ears plz
>Comfort
Probably won't be wearing for more than 2 hours at a time, so not too picky on this
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Sennheiser cx 300 ii

>1992
>still relevant
thanks for showing how outdated your shitty opinion is.

Do the new Stax lambda series sound different? Should I spend my NEET dollaryroos on one, and squirrel away my SR-307 for the bleak future of lawless oblivion?

I haven't auditioned the L500 but judging from the L300, they are just rehashed versions of the 207 and 507.

L700 just slightly breaks away from the typical Lambda sig and is like a little 009.

Have you heard the L300?

Nope. Only the L700 with the SRM-353X.
The 3100 system is a 2170 in a new enclosure.

>wireless is frowned upon
>headsets are frowned upon
>asking for opinions is frowned upon

So, are you repeating what others have said? They are rehashes despite having an altered ear-xducer gap, and despite having been partially occluded with a vinyl cover?

>are you repeating what others have said?
For the L300 and L500, yep.

Did you listen to the right music?

>>wireless is frowned upon
For a reason.
>>headsets are frowned upon
For a reason.
>>asking for opinions is frowned upon
Only if you ask stupid shit.

So I have had a pair of AKG K240s for a few years now and love them. Unforunately one of the hard plastic part that keeps the foam in broke off so I just have foam hanging out. Is there a way to order single parts or what should I do about this?

Also, besides looks how bad is this for sound? Its hard for me to tell since it could be a placebo type effect.

>budget
100 EUR
>location
Germany
>source
any and every thing. Phone, laptop, desktop, TV with extension cord, console controller, butthole, microwave
>preferred type
Something that covers the whole ear without putting any pressure on the ear cartilages.
>open or closed
Closed. I do not want background sounds but also not want noise cancelling as it will be expensive
>past headphones
What ever came with phone. Last and current is s7 earphones

Fidelio X2

you're just acting like reddit

Top argument, pal.

Ath ad900x $138 and sound better than m50 and is more comfortable imo. With the m50 your ears gets warm when you wear it for more than 1-2 hours, but the ad900x can be wore for over 4 hours easily without a problem. Open would be good if you play any games with surround sound too.

You can also take a look at the hd558 for $104 and do the (foam mod) to make it sound like the 598, no need for amp. For $200 exactly you can also get the AKG 7XX on massdrop right now, but you need an amp.

philips x2 cost around $230 in the US though.

Maybe the Creative Aurvana Live! or Sony MDR-ZX700? I would normally say the sony v6/7506, but in germany its over 130 on germany amazon for some reason. Normally they are under 80 and can go as low as 60.

Getting conflicting information on closed vs open for diy gaming headsets. One source says that an open design will allow sound in and detract from your ability to pinpoint sounds, another says an open design helps with that by expanding the soundstge.

Who do I believe?

It does both, if you live in a quiet environment then there won't be too much sound to flow in and you'll be alright. If you live in a noisy environment, then you'll hear everything around you.

open is better for game like fps, with close cans you probably won't get good soundstage unless its one of those really high end close cans headphones $700+

Guess that all depends on how you define noisy. I'm the kind of guy who would rather isolate with my music/vidya.

I'm shit at video games so I don't know how much it matters. It ain't the audio equipment that gets my shit pushed in.

the best chink mics need phantom power, which will cost more than the mic itself if you want something of decent quality, which drives up the price to modmic levels or over.

A Headphone Story

About 12 years ago I bought every popular headphone under $200 and settled on Sony EX51. I've used them ever since, give through so many sets, but they were commonly available new-old-stock for $5 on eBay so I'd just buy them a dozen at a time.

They're getting hard to find these days so I've decided to hunt for a new favorite headphone.

* SoundMagic E10S

Not bad, but not great either. They're a littlw "muffled" I spose and the cable is not very flexible.

* Xiaomi Piston 3

I'm pretty sure I got a fake set of these, they sounded worse than an AM radio in a bathroom. I've got another set on the way.

* Sony EX10 and EX15

Pretty good, almost as good as EX51. The EX10 in particular is very small which is great for listening while laying on my side in bed. I'll buy some more of these for spares.

* Xiaomi Piston 4

Fuck yeah. Crisp clear highs and big bass, a tad less clear in midrange than the old EX51s but once you get into it you barely notice, and I think overall they sound better. I'm hearing parts of songs I miss completely on speakers. Very happy with these.

I still have some Xiaomi Piston 2 and 1More Piston 3 on the way, so I'll see how they turn out.

I can't choose b/w Sennheiser HD 559/598 and the AT ATH-900x because I don't know whether I want open or closed.

Are there any other differentiating factors aside from whether they're open/closed?

I'm scared because you post this user.

Monkeys also like to play with shit.

ebay

V6 vs 7506 vs m40x

Which one is better?

Not seeing you contribute with either relevant or updated material.

V6 and 7506 are basically the same except for a few different materials on the wiring and the stickers.
Can't be bothered to do so from my mobile, but search for measurements of v6 and m40x on google, should give you some insights about them.

I read the OP but all the review sites are shilling for whomever payed them the most.

Are there Bluetooth earbuds with high enough quality to justify getting the iPhone 7? And if not, lightning connection is still viable, right?

STAX MASTER RACE.

Does anyone know where/how to get these DT770s or are they custom made or some shit?

The ones I found on amazon all have those greyish velours pads and say "Pro" on them

No, for the same price you'd pay for a wireless headphone you could get much better wired headphones, lightning might work since it's cheap, but you will never upgrade from it since most respected audio companies do their main headphones with TRS cable connections.

That's a regular DT770 pro with leather pads for extra isolation, you can get those pads at Amazon as well, they should cost around 35 bucks.

Which are you using, friend?

sweet thanks I didn't know there were third party pads

>tfw you're on your third pair of yamaha eph-100 (warranty replacement)
they sound fucking good tho

>all the review sites are shilling
Most audio reviews are somewhere between a waste of time or worse than useless. You learn that fast in the audio world, or blow out a small fortune before you do.
>earbuds
Normally, earbuds only refer to those things that don't go into the ear canal and rest on bowl of your ear. The Apple Earpods for instance. The usual suggestion would be to get that is inserted into the canal, something with sleeves and tips you can put over the sound nozzle.

>with high enough quality to justify getting the iPhone 7
I think you're going about this the wrong way, but yes. The LG Tone models have generally been decent so far, but somewhat bulky.
Sony had a nice bassy model, SBH80, has a couple of quirks in usage.

That's DT770-M

Are you sure? Because they usually say "M" on them

you need a DAC to convert the digital signal into sound and whichever one they use is likely to be shitty or you get added bulk and expense because crapple didn't want to put it in the phone

I think they just slightly changed the design senpai

pic related is from a blog post from 2010

So..

ATH M40X
ATH M50X
DT770 Pro 80
DT990 32
Whatever the fuck else

Which do I get?

>Budget
$20-30
>Location
Israel
>Source
PC, Smartphone, no DAC
IEMS
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
Important
>Preferred tonal balance
>Past headphones
MEElectronics M9P

Comfort > sound quality
prefer ones you can wear straight-down as well as over
need a mic option

>>Budget
>$20-30
>>Location
>Israel

>Budget
around £100

>Location
Ireland

>Source
FiiO X1

Over ear, closed to semi open

>Comfort level
doesn't matter

>Past Headphones
Urbanite XL

Bass? Treble? Neutrality? Give us information you greedy merchant.

So the guy from the last thread that meant you should have at least 100 mW @ 300 Ω didn't really know what he was talking about? I can't find anything by Tyll or nwavguy that supports what he was talking about regarding impedance across different frequencies.

Don't mind the budget user, am NEET so I find it hard to justify spending more right now (but I can).

Bass if I had to choose I guess since I listen to EDM.

>I find it hard to justify spending more right now (but I can)
oy vey

What to expect from the hd650
Did I fuck up, should i cancel my order?

Lightning to TRS adapter can be used if you want to continue using your old devices with the iPhone 7.

Correlation between price and sound quality is weak. Picking models in that fashion is hardly better than picking at random.

Of the various failings, design incompetence, and drawbacks of headphones that are wireless and of headphones in general, you picked the converter?
Apple never eliminated the DAC and has no ability to do so.
Digital audio conversion costs are minute to do a decent job for audio. Device footprint can be made exceedingly small.

You fucked up. Order Stax instead.

Rock Zircon or Boarseman KR49i.

sure that's why good DACs cost $100++

thanks user!

would $30-40 make a huge bump?

The measurements suggest that it's a bit bright, with rolled off sub-bass. Is that correct or do I suck cocks?

Any reviews on the new Sennheiser headphones? The HD 4.30 is literally perfect for me but I'm worried they're going to sound like shit.

I bet they sound almost exactly the same as the previous iterations

Even the hd599 and the rest of that line? Idk why they would waste the amazing design of the hd 4.30g on a low end headset. And then the hd 579 has that awesome grey coloring and they have the ugly noctua colors on the hd599. Drives me crazy.

goys?

They're all so different, it's hard to say

Alright, makes sense.

Yeah, you're totally right. I took a look at my friend's 7 this morning and I realized that lightning is still obviously viable.

Thanks for the other responses.

I think what I'm really asking for is a pair of Bluetooth earbuds with reasonable sound quality and good bass. I want earbuds or "in ear" headphones because (I think) I want a low-profile, portable solution. I love to listen to music while I'm skiing or am in transit.

Heres what I have now.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JRD13T8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474293300&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=sony bass booster&dpPl=1&dpID=31O0Auv0ucL&ref=plSrch

Not really, those already shit on more expensive earphones.

>Budget
>Source
Laptop, desktop
Around ear
>Open or closed
Prefer closed
>Comfort level
Sound > comfort
>Preferred tonal balance
flatish, maybe slightly on the warmer side
>Past headphones
MDR-V6.

I've been looking at the Brainwavz HM5 and equivalent but the build quality worries me.

Guess what senpaitachi.

I picked up Bose Quietcomfort 35s today. Absolutely awesome.

Am I a pleb casual?

No one?

I'll redo my ideals then

>Budget
£100 ish
>Location
UK
>Source
Desktop PC, Guitar Amp, (Future) Record Player
Full/Over Ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Headphones that are comfy for a glasses wearer would be great
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral to slightly warm
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 202

Been looking at the M50X and DT770 Pro 80s with serious consideration but its very hard to decide with so much love and ahte for both

As far as I know, the M50X isn't over ear, it's on-ear

I suppose I am actually flexible on that as long as they don't dig my glasses into the side of my head, the HD 202s haven't caused me problems beyond irritation after a couple hours of solid use.

Well, the DT770 has a lot of bass and somewhat recessed mids, but my biggest complain on those is the sibilant treble on some recordings. Those headphones limit me to just a few artists that I have on my PC and don't let me listen to everything because of the ear piercing treble of some albums

I think the creative aurvana fits those standards. They're pretty cheap, closed, easy to drive, and I've heard a lot of good things about it's low end. I don't know anything else about it though.

You could also look into the m40x, those are closed and in the price range but I don't know what their sound signature is like.

i feel retarded for asking but does anyobne kno whow to use shirt clips for their earphones? cant find anything on google? my brainwavz m1 came with one.

>I don't know what their sound signature is like.
Less bassy, more neutral than the M50X

Do you need/want Isolation? If so discart the open-back option, now ir the closed ones, do you preffer more V-Shape signature, more emphasis on bass or closer to neutral? What's the DT770, M50 and M40 in order.

>What to expect from the hd650
What do you think right now? What else have you listened to and what do you think of those things?
>Did I fuck up, should i cancel my order?
Only if you don't like it. This is the only consideration to make.

It is difficult enough to establish whether Redbook audio is lacking, but even sub-100 USD gear can fulfill and exceed that ten times over. Popular choices of DACs are selected for the additional features, outputs, and for sake of peace of mind.

Thank you, I'm always looking to learn more about headphones.

What is the problem? You fasten the shirt clip to your headphone's cable and then fasten to clip on your clothes. I guess you could experiment with different places to put the clip, but it's not exactly rocket science user.

>Correlation between price and sound quality is weak.
It isn't when your options for the same price are either one of several measured and tested good headphones vs a wireless headphones with no data proving they are good except for a few rather expensive models like the vmoda wireless which doesn't even attempt to be neutral since it's not the the company's signature sound (which i actually respect since they are honest about their wireless Just trying to replicate their wired M100).

is this where I put the cord in? I don't know what this rotating thing is for.

The M40X sounds the best from my non-audiophile hearing, the M50X has that extra bass kick and I definitely enjoy that and i've definitely heard the DT770s got more treble in them, i'm personally not sure if that is good or bad but if they're going to spike badly that may be a bad choice

Emphasis on bass would be great, working down to neutral. I don't think the v shaped signature would really benefit me or the music I listen to

Can I get an idiots guide to these? i'd appreciate understanding the difference between these two

Tyll isn't necessarily the first person to go to about this, and there are some things Tyll should know that he doesn't.

>didn't really know what he was talking about?
Quick answer: no.

> 100 mW @ 300 Ω
Power can be seen as the product of voltage and current. You can only guarantee one of these for a (reactive) headphone load. Description in terms of power is awkward to use. We use voltage, since this is what our devices revolve around.
More voltage is never a bad thing, but you don't always need it.

The frequency magnitude charts you see are really a ratio chart, even if they usually don't show the scale as the proper Volt/Pressure ratio. The charts shows the ratio of the sound output from a constant voltage input. This can be bass heavy or midrange skewed or whatever. Changing the input voltage doesn't change the ratio.

>impedance across different frequencies
The load is reactive, headphone voice coils have an inductance associated with them. The impedance of an inductor increases with higher frequencies.

There is the electro-mechanical resonance, the bass hump that you see in the impedance plot. The driver is given to vibration at some frequency, as are most mechanical devices. The magnetic field opposes motion of a current carrying wire, the voice coil, by generating a reverse voltage to oppose the input current. This is the electrical damping that drives up the impedance at frequency in which the driver tends to vibrate more.
The reverse voltage does not make it harder to "drive", the impedance spike(s) exists because it tends to easily move at that frequency and the magnetic damping limits the natural mechanical motion. If you clamp the driver to stop it from moving, the hump disappears.
You use the least current and power at the resonant frequency.

Yeah, you insert the cable in the nook on the rotating thing. Then you stick the clip on your clothes.

K612 is better than both tbhfamily

I have the 80 ohm 770's and I think the treble sounds just fine. I'm either not sensitive to treble at all or the songs I listen to don't have much treble.

Best headphones here

Aren't these completely devoid of bass?

>boar semen

Thanks for taking the time to type that up and replying user. The part of about frequency magnitude charts was especially helpful; I haven't seen it explained in such a simple way anywhere else.

Regarding the impedance across different frequencies, it seems I read "Electrical Impedance and Phase" on Tyll's blog correctly, unless I am also misunderstanding your post.

But on the matter of specifically how powerful an amp you would need to drive the HD600:

I'm more or less just going by this article by nwavguy: nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-power.html.

According to that article, 100 mW @ 300 Ω would equal a voltage of 5.48.

According to the same article, that would drive the HD600 to 117 dB.

The FiiO E10K has an output power of 200mW@32Ω. That equals a voltage of 2.53.

That would drive the HD600 to 110 dB.

The article by nwavguy makes some arguments for being able to drive your headphones to at least 115 dB, but it seems to me like 110 dB should be fine for most people.

Am I missing something? Is being able to drive a headphone to a high enough sound level all there is to an amp?
It seems to me like there is a lot more to read on this subject, so I wouldn't be surprised if I've overlooked anything.

anyone who actually believes they sound like this is retarded

I hope thats the case for me too then, I'm looking at a black pair of 80s for £99 and I'm almost ready to jump on them but each comment on the treble just holds me back each time

alpha as fuck

You could always try to eq them or return them I suppose.

You find the most disturbing things on ali if you make a small typo..
That day i learned how to spell "Boarseman".

hey guys looking for a pair of in-ears because i'm done using big over-ears outside.
Budget: 200$ tops, considering Beyerdynamic iDX 200 iE but would absolutely love to go cheaper
Source: iPhone
Preferred tonal balance: Balanced, natural
Past headphones: Sennheiser Momentum, Alessandro Grado MS-1

would appreciate any help

I think that is my best bet, thanks everyone for the help

Another shitty OP.

Mostly for curiosity in your suggestions. I don't need to change short term but I've been thinking of buying Alpha Dogs.

>Budget
500€
>Location
EU
>Source
Meier Audio Corda Opera
Around ear
>Open or closed
Closed, high isolation
>Comfort level
Comfy earpillows
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral to warm
>Past headphones
A900x with Alpha Pads; pic related (not mine)

I need some advice from any porta pro owners here. I've had my pair for a couple of months and I'm now realizing that they can't handle higher volumes with my new amplifier, is that a normal thing or should I send mine in for a replacement? Especially when I play songs with lots of bass, the drivers rattle like crazy and I'm afraid that they'll break. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

don't play them too loud jeez

why did you get an amp for porta pros

>the drivers rattle like crazy
Ha you dun fucked up. Dats called rattle of death.

How I know it's done fucked up. My friend owns Beyerdynamic T1s and those are impossible to fix. Highly precise tesla magnet shit and he fucked those up pretty good. Rattle of death is painful. I know how you feel.

Why an amp for those? You done goofed

>Budget
$40 would be pushing it

>Location
Trumpistan

>Source
4-year-old laptop

Whichever

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
I'll suffer if it saves 50 cents

>Preferred tonal balance
No emphasis on treble. Want to hear harmonies.

>Past headphones
Earbuds I found on the ground and dollar-store Sentry clamps. Trying on someone's headphones was like going from modality to tonality.

What about the HD650? I think those headphones are even more sensitive than the 600s

What would you change in that graph?

Its just an amp for my speakers and record player.

It's not any louder than how I play my 7506s though. I wouldn't think that would make them pps rattle so much.

Can anyone recommend a mic that has a better mounting solution than the Modmic, that won't pic up my Unicomp keypresses?

Well, my interest was mainly in the HD600, since that's what I have (or at least ordered 3 weeks ago, thanks DHL).

But just plugging in the numbers (103 + 20 * LOG ( 2.53 ) gives us 111 dB. So yeah, it's a bit more sensitive and therefore goes a bit higher with the same amp.

In that budget realistically youre not going to get what youre looking for, you'll have to compromise on something. especially on the neutral part. its very rare to get neutral sound on cheaper cans

if you can stretch up to the SHP 9500 or the HD 558, thats when you'll pretty much tick all boxes

closed typically has worse soundstage too, so unless you have a loud fan or aircon, there isnt much of a point if you want that for gaming. open leaves a much less congested sound too

just use 3M double sided adhesive or just double sided tape
won't change shit in terms of sound

MDR v6 if you can get it low enough
or ATH M40X with velour pads

open is always better
more potential

the only reason you want closed is if you have a loud environment, or you don't want people to hear your shit
otherwise open is best

770, or m40x with a pad change if you dont like the 770 for some reason
dunno why you wouldnt

xiaomi hybrids/piston4/zircons
[in that order]

m50x a shit. m40x is better. the 770 is better than both in terms of actual sound quality, though the m40x will be slightly more balanced

the m?0x need a pad change anyway to be remotely comfortable, and theyre probably not great for glasses either way
the 770 would be fine for glasses. big ass velour comfy pads

youre gonna have to buy shit online to get decent cans at that price range
even still they may not quite fit the bill
look into the superlux HD-681 EVO and the 662 EVO
otherwise at that point you may have to go with IEMs

>using a speaker amp on headphones
nigger what the fuck are you doing

a mic on a boom
even still it'll likely pick up keypresses
to make that not happen the mic will either sound shit or youll have to do it in a sound editor

It's a receiver, what's wrong with that?

>Budget
150€ish
>Location
germany
>Source
pc/laptop, nvidia shield tv remote, phone
full size
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
very comfy

Thank you in advance!

DT770 Pro 80Ohm

bump

thanks, I'll look into them!

apple wireless earbuds

does apple make wireless anal buds?

>Budget
125 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone primarily
IEM
>Comfort level
very comfortable pls
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral, or warm but not ridiculous with bass.
Thanks in advance

Harmony Audio HA-R154

anyone have any experience with jaybird x2?

The only results I'm finding for those are car stereos. Am I missing something?

>Budget
Below $100, flexible
>Location
USA
>Source
LG v10
IEMs
>Comfort level
Need to fit in industrial headphones for further noise isolation.
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
I had the Etymotic Research, but they proved too large to fit underneath my industrial headphones. I'm an e-sports player, though, not a construction worker. Just looking for something to keep the sound of the crowd out.

Shure SE215

Wow, thanks for the lightning fast response. Appreciate it a ton.

>Shure SE215
Far from neutral.

What is it?

Bassy

en.goldenears.net/5982

>en.goldenears.net/5982
I see, thanks. Do you have a better suggestion, by any chance?

Neutral in-ears are hard to come by, especially so if you exclude Etymotics. Shures do have a nice fit but past the bassy SE215, the rest are different levels of dark with poor bandwidth. Might not really have much of an impact on games if that's your main consideration. Which Etys did you have and what part didn't fit under the earmuffs?

Woops, I didn't specify. I had the HF5's, I believe. The cylindrical black part that holds the wire was too large/long to fit underneath the earmuffs.

Tell me literally everything about these and why I should get them instead of the HD650

MC5 and MK5 might be a bit more shallow than the HF5 but the difference is small. Damn shame they don't make the ER-6i anymore.

>why I should get them instead of the HD650
If you like them more.

HiFiMan RE-400? Dunno if they would be too large.

>If you like them more.
Can't find them around my place to try both

I have them and they are good, IMO worth the money.

how comfy are they?

I'm an idiot, that's not the correct graph.

do you like nobass? then get them!

Anyone else bothered by the fact Apple decided to use only black people in their new website for the AirPods?

Why? It's their target audience.

>Fiio E10k
You can use the voltage Fiio provides(~2.6 Vrms), that works better for high impedance loads in general.

>article by nwavguy
Let's just say that he errs severely on the side of caution. While it is true that loudness perception does not neatly match up with the absolute level of the track, most tracks have well under 25 dB (instantaneous) dynamic range. This includes music with minimal compression. We can come up with reasons why you might want that overhead, a large EQ addition for instance, but he didn't cover that.
More voltage on hand isn't bad, but a very common occurrence is that most people buy overdesigned products that never get used to anywhere near its full ability.

>Am I missing something? Is being able to drive a headphone to a high enough sound level all there is to an amp?
That is its job. By normal thinking it should be maximally flat in the audio range and linear as well, but then you have fellows in certain audio circles that have other ideas.

>It seems to me like there is a lot more to read on this subject, so I wouldn't be surprised if I've overlooked anything.
Definitely is more, but it also depends what type of device you are looking at. This is a good deal of the essentials so far, maybe sometime I could tell why "damping factor" is somewhere between misleading and nonsense.

There is a fair bit of mathematics lurking in the measurements. It would be fair to say that most of it is only used to justify analyzing the output in a more easily understood form, but some subtleties can be missed this way.

>What about the HD650? I think those headphones are even more sensitive than the 600s
Sennheiser says it has higher sensitivty, but only at one point of the sensitivity chart. It doesn't account for the sensitivity in the rest of the audio range.
It's also only 1 dB nominally, not much of a deal breaker and subject to manufacturer tolerances.

quit posting these terrible slav measurements, they're so misleading

Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know though; glad I didn't just waste money on those.

So, I'm looking for a headphone upgrade

>Budget
$200 give or take, not set in stone but wouldn't want to go too much over
>Location
Romania
>Source
PC, Xonar DX (willing to buy a heaphone amp too if needed)
Full size
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to wear for a good few hours at a time
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral and extending down into the sub-bass range as much as possible, if not possible I'd rather have bassy headphones. I don't like very exaggerated treble, it feels tiring.
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD448, looking to replace them since they started falling apart and can't even come close to the sound quality of my amp/speakers, they feel like they lack impact and sound kind of unclear compared to my speakers (Bronze BX2 + BK Gemini 2 + NAD C 326BEE).

>do you like nobass?
I thought the 712 had a massive bass boost compared to the older AKGs. In fact, this is the goldenears graph

would using a portable heeadamp improve anything on my AKG K92?

Can anyone identify these headphones?

>AKG K92
> 113 dB SPL 32 ohms
Absolutely not. The only thing it will do is make them louder, but if you're listening to those things at max volume already you'll go deaf.
As a general rule you don't need to worry about amps until you get to the "audiophile" headphones tier.

Alright, seems like I did get the basics down then. Again, thanks for replying user! It's nice to get some help with this slightly more technical stuff.

bluedio turbine

is Black Friday a good day to buy a Headphone in USA?

i'm going to Miami soon and i may get one

i want to spend something around 100$, if possible

(i will only use it for vidya, so i don't need fancy shit)

also, i may buy a mic

the compensation curve lacks bass and even if it was correct, the graph doesn't show a bass boost.
PROTIP: use 500 Hz as a reference point if a peak or dip is occurring at 1 kHz.

I'm going to buy my first pair of headphones and looking around i found interensting the akg k240 studio.
Any owners here can give me an opinion on these?

So the hd650 manages to have more bass?

K712 and HD 650 have roughly the same amount of bass.
The bass of the 650 is probably more noticeable because they have less treble.

Thanks. How do they compare to the 702? I like EDM but I don't want boomy headphones like the DT990, which I desliked. I found the 702 to be relatively decent on some tracks but on others the bass was very distant and I barely felt the beats. Was wondering how the 650 compare and what it sounds like if I add a small low-shelf filter to it (nothing too strong)

Bump

If you're going to EQ your headphones, you might as well go with the AKGs.

I don't want to if it's unnecessary but why do you say that?

AKG has better quality control, better build quality and non-proprietary connectors.

Are these meme headphones a requirement for every shitty youtuber?

So what about them? Do you want people to choose Philips SHP9500 instead for the same price?

oh.

I forgot HD558 exists.

JoJ

These are going for $67. Any experience with these?

thestatusaudio.com/products/cb1

Bump

Is it possible to buy Shure replacement parts? One of the arms on my SRH840s snapped in half, can't glue them back together.

Shit OPs like this should be banned

autismos like you should be banned

>Being here 24/7 just to justify your shitty OP

Get a life.

He would if he could.

As it stands, he's too fat to get out of his chair and his bath is a rag on a stick and a mop bucket.

Im not OP you aspie newfag

Don't fat shame me.

samefag

is picture that fanmade?

What is Cred Forums's opinion of Sol Republics?

Nigger shit that belongs in the garbage

Bump

Stop bumping let the thread die so I can post a better OP

Or we can get it to bump limit faster and have the real OP that isn't a shitpost.

Why don't you just post a new OP now since we all know you're not going to wait for the bump limit anyways.

German user here(50€ budget).
What about the Sony MDR MA300? Open or closed doesn't matter that much to me after all.

I feel bad for you. You missed out on a $55 USD Sony MDR V6. Just received my V6 today and can vouch for it. But I checked thomann.de and amazon.de and it'd way too expensive.

Eh. Not like I lost anything, but I'm curious what I missed out on. I'm guessing there was a price glitch and those headphones are amazing?
Still, how are the Sony MDR MA300? Again, I'm completely entry level.

Bumping great thread!

>Headphone request.

Just want ATh-m50s but comfortable. noise cancellation and isolation is all i care about. oh and prefer an even sound

>how are the Sony MDR MA300?
I can't tell but here's measurements
en.goldenears.net/14410

I think it looks better than the MDR 7506.
en.goldenears.net/4726

The V6 I'm using. I approve of them. I have Sennheiser HD600 too.

Looking to get my first pair of decent headphones. Thinking of getting the 598 but not sure if I should wait for the 599s to get a little cheaper or any of the newer sennheiser headphones. What are your thoughts? I heard the 598s go on sale on black friday for pretty low so I'm thinking of waiting until then

Is benchmark DAC GOAT?

What other hardware is even close to touching benchmark's legendary performance?

Ar least don't be a complete contrarian faggot and post the usefull suggestions when you finally decide to ignore bump limit like you always do.

Poor man's nigger bass (aka beats dre)

Try TH900 on a properly bass boosted source(none of that youtube crap since it clips a lot) on a decent amp. It blows nigger's 90 IQ in the water

Here's photo.

Anyone here own or heard both 7506 + V6?

Is the sound difference for the 7xx's really worth the price difference when I add in an amp? And what about listening to it on my phone? Would that be feasible?
I have no fucking clue what I'm doing and while I have a basic understanding I don't actually know of much of anything about amps/DACs.
How are the audio-technica ath-msr7gm? From my understanding they look a step up from the m50's.
Basically my choices (that I've found) are the HD 558/598, akg 7xx, either the ad900x you mentioned or the ath I mentioned, or something like the v Moda m100.

What kind of music you listen to? Like what genre.

>when shitty twitch streamers get your headphones

This general is full of people asking questions and no one answering better go to redddit/headphones

That's because this is the shitposting general. Read the op.

>I don't actually know of much of anything about amps/DACs.
Ask away, you might need to. Some basics: >ath-msr7
GM is the color. MSR7 is also very different from the M50 in sound.
I also think it sounds a lot better, but opinions.

>my choices
A few others: DT770, K612, HP50, QC25...
Many more than I don't know about.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which burzum album this is referring too

still looking for some more suggestions!

545's are better for peasant trash. Smaller earcups and lighter.

Why? There are no guidelines or rules for this thread, all discussion is allowed here.

Fucking newfags trying to ruin /hpg/.

And yet, the incomplete OP only happens when it's created before the bump limit. Weird, huh?

It's not the incomplete OP you stupid fucking retard, it's the proper OP with no shitposting bait.

>with no data proving they are good
The larger problem is the lack of any data and the blind, sweeping generalization and speculation that fills the void. There is no necessary electroacoustic reason to be bad, and no indication to believe your effort or lack thereof in examining wireless devices has been exhaustive either.

>except for a few rather expensive models like the vmoda wireless
Really? It's closer to the original Crossfade and poor; the M100 is barely better as far as design targets go, neutrality aside.

AKG K545s are a solid option, I was looking into the M50x set and I came across them. Nowhere near as popular but supposedly good and well within the same category.

> being this butthurt
What memes did you fall for? It's OK, you can tell us.

The ER-4S and HD600 meme.

Now fuck off and kill yourself newfag.

>incomplete op
You mean the proper op?

Headphone for DIY bedroom studio

>Budget
$300

>Location
SE Asia/Singapore

>Source
PC

Circumaural, open

>Comfort level
Don't really care

>Preferred tonal balance
Balanced. Flat everything.

>Past headphones
ATH M40x

>log scale
y tho

What are good wireless cans?

Thinking about either the momentums or audio technica ones.

Both are 200 and change on amazon.

Models and/or links?

>Why?
Have you been absent from /hpg/ the last month or just trying to pick a fight? Given how you are calling anyone who disagrees with you a newfag I'm going to assume you're just trying to pick a fight.

What makes it proper? The fact that it still causes shitposting?

>Budget
$100
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone
IEMs
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral/Balanced
>Past headphones
Etymotic MK5

Much more convenient and in certain ways also closer to how our hearing perceives things.

>>incomplete op
Take a look at the MA750? A bit more than $100 but recommended for the price point though a bit more v-shaped.

Superlux HD 681 vs Koss UR40 for long term computer use (more than 4 hours at a time easily).

Will these make my ears hot like my PortaPros?

Something that I'm kind of used to with the MK5's is how deep they go in my ear. Are the MA750's kind of comparable? I'm new to the IEM game.

HF5 or RE400.

>MA750
>even slightly neutral
No.

Based off I think the HF5s are my best bet. Building that Etymotic brand loyalty. Thanks.

>Budget
Around 200 dollars

>Location
Poland

>Source
Pc. Fiio x1. Gotta do something about dying battery.

I need earbuds. Already have akg 517 which I will swap for something better later.

>Comfort level
Probably customizable with different rubber thingies.

>Past headphones
Sennheiser cx200. Too much high frequencies.

Vsonic vsd1s. Sound was good until the bodies of the earbuds have fallen apart.

Akg k517. Sound is fine but ears hurt after long sessions. Especially if you're wearing glasses.

I think this is worth it amazon.com/dp/B006N43MEI/

Or a random impedance adapter on ebay. It makes the HF5s highs more better.

Seeing as you like a bassy/dark signature, SE215 or MA750.

What the fuck is that? Looks like typical audio snake oil.. $50?

I have the Meze 99 classics and I'm thinking about buying the HD 600s, how much of an upgrade will I be getting?

They are both exactly the same price right now.

As said in that user's post, it's an impedance adapter. The ER4PT is a low impedance ER4S. I've never seen anyone use it with another Ety model, though.

Can I get some suggestions for a headset that does CLOSE to everything I need them for? I don't know much about sound quality here. But will I need two headsets? I really don't want to keep buying the cheapie Panasonic ear buds like I have been, but is there something out there that works well for Electronic music, classical, jazz, and would give me good sound for videogames/movies on the pc? I would also like to be able to use them in the train while I commute.

PS forgot to mention my budget is about 200-250.

With the exception of your presence in the thread, there won't be any shitposting in the real HPG.

my bad

amazon.com/gp/product/B00SOM7XJC/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS99BT-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B015N52YUU/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1474226669&sr=1-1&keywords=ath-WS99BT

both get good reviews on amazon and headfi

>in the real HPG
>muh real ScottsHPG

hd558 (home + game) and shure se215 (for train) if you live in the US. Using headphone in public transportation is a pain in the ass (and you don't want to look more like an autist wearing full size cans ie: source me).

hd600 or akg 7xx series

>want headphone sounding like m50
>even sound

Just like that? I didn't think it would be so easy. Do the hd558s sound good with bassier music still? I like deep base but I want to enjoy my new home theater set up with a bigger soundstage kind of sound.

I also don't have a DAC or Amp yet because I wanted to do more research for that after I chose some headphones. I also don't really care what it looks like wearing full size cans in the train. No one bothers me anyway.

please respond D:

I heard philips fidelio x2 is good for bass, but im not sure if it is just hype or not (was thinking of buying this personally but its kind of pricey right now, since I think they stop production 248 on amazon when the hd600 is 299).

With open cans you shouldn't wear it in public since there is no isolation. The sound leaks a bit at moderately high volume and you can hear the noise from outside. Good for games though and HD558 doesn't need an amp.

I would probably pick the superlux, but if you are a jew like me (metaphorically :^)) i would do the amazon prime 1 month trial (you can literally make multiple email and do the 1 month trial again and again after cancelling, and I never got banned. I used the same address, credit card, and name) and order them both and return the one you don't want within a month. When you return the headphone back make sure to click "No longer needed" and it would be refunded in full in 3 days. Tape it up and drop it off in the closest UPS. ez

I have some Xiaomi Piston V2s. I found some V3s on an airplane and (after cleaning them and replacing the tips, obviously) used them and thought they were better than the 2s. They were more comfortable and sounded better. However, I broke them by accident the other day.

Anyway, question is, since the Pistons are discontinued, how do the Hybrids compare to either the 2s or 3s? If I'm going to buy a new pair, should I buy some Hybrids, or buy another set of 3s?

Piston 3 is still the recommended IEM if you cannot spend more than $20.

OK, I'll probably pick up another set of Piston 3s. I was kind of upset when they broke, even though they're relatively cheap and that set was free. It's hard going back to the 2s temporarily.

>Piston 3
Aren't those incredibly bassy?

Try Bluedio n2, they're pretty good and cheaper

>wireless
Nope.

>wanting to deal with the hassle of wires
Nope.

> wanting to deal with the hassle of batteries
hell nope

>wanting to deal with wires getting caught on protruding objects
No fucking way.

>wanting to deal with worse sound quality
Nah.

>cheaper earphones have worse sound quality
Thank you captain obvious.

the retardedly cheap ones on ebay from china/malaysia/phillippines are fake i presume? how do you get legit ones?

Thank you, I think I'll grab the RHA ones.

>Budget
$200 - $400

>Location
The airplane, subway and office

>Source
iPhone

Convince me not to buy the Bose qc20 RIGHT NOW (I'm basically at the checkout)

>Open or closed
I'm mainily an IEM faggot so idk desu

>Comfort level
comfy pls

>Preferred tonal balance
I have a bias towards more bass as I listen to a lot of electronic dubstep, heavy metal, epic cinematic music and sometimes J-Pop

>Past headphones
Seinheisser CX 300

Is this 2012? I thought we were past Bluetooth 2.0

New thread when?

Usually after bump limit.

which is?

hownew.ru

>different boards have different limits

New thread lads.

the change to 310 is new tho

Pls respond ;_;