Creating an Empolyable Programmer

Hi Cred Forums just wanted to make a thread for those of you who want to be an employed programmer. Personally i dont have too much experience but im looking to obviously build that, and im sure you do too. So here is a list of what i think are neccessities to have as a programmer to be hired in general.

Basic Skills:
Html, css, javascript (your typical webdeveloper)
Java, C++, C, Python, Php

Extra languages (they dont hurt)
Ruby, Assembly, Objective C, etc

Enhancements:
LinkdIn, A targetted resume to what you want to apply to, a god damn presentable attire for interviews, side projects (apps, programs you have made), transcript (im not sure about this)
Prepare for interview questions, and programming quizes (ie. scenario given, make a program to adapt to that, efficiency to the code)

Extras:
volunteering, past jobs to display your ability to perform in a job, transferrable skills

I know this is not a perfect guideline, however you can help comment on this, and it will improve. You can get the job you want, just put the damn effort into it. Im sure you heard it a thousand times, but practice, seriously review that shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

One thing i forgot to add, Build your network, seriously, your friends and people you know just might be able to hook you up with something

30 y.o. college dropout NEET here, I've taken lots of terrible decisions in my life, plus I had a life threatening illness.
I "know" some langs, but since I don't practice regularly, I forget things. how do you compare your knowledge against other people? how do you know how much you know, compared to college
is linkeding really required? if so, why? I'm ashamed of my life/CV, so I wouldn't make it public, at all.

>college
college graduates...

>is linkeding really required?

you can totally do without it. Just get working on your portfolio and put it up on github, spam your cv everywhere. If you are what they are looking for, you'll get a call. And start practicing regularly, motherfucker, what are you waiting for?

Ok where's the one for someone without a degree

What skills should i actually have to be able to get even an internship when i graduate? doing SE and i feel like i'm not someone who would get hired. I can do these shitty fizzbuzz meme problems and do simple things but i feel like i dont know shit about shit.

anyone throw me a bone?

What'll put you ahead of a lot of other people is a decent set of social skills.

You've seen the people around you, they're all fucking autistic. Get better at networking and coming off as competent. It doesn't hurt to have a decent portfolio either.

Try not to sperg out but also don't come off as someone who could live without the job.

What are some good portfolio projects? I've heard to do something you'd actually use, but I have no real use for anything.

get a degree

>the education meme

HR zombies need it.

i dont need to worry about social skills, i've got that in the bag for sure. My professor once said i was like a 'salesman' because i was pretty good at convincing her during our project meetings.

what i mean more is in terms of skills, you mention a portfolio, what kind of stuff should i fill that up with? like what have you done that you could recommend me

and yeah, most others around me in my senior year are definitely autistic spergs with no social skills. I grew up around computers and tons of super social people, no worries there

I wish to break free from the shackles of the education jew but I know the value of an education.

I'm only 20, so I'm not fucked right?

Take some inspiration from this and make sure you have some kind of online presence (github, LinkedIn, etx)

Make a web site where employees click an "Acknowledge" button after being presented with a PDF or word document. These are things like "I have read your code of conduct, I promise not to make lewd statements about coworkers, etc."

Then every year it reminds them via email to do the same thing.

Store the acknowledgements in a database and then make a page for the supervisor to see who's signed each report.

I kid you not this is production software. Our business pays $10k a month for this shit. That's all it fucking does. If you can handle this, you can handle like 90% of production software as a junior dev.

Oh, don't forget to store user passwords with bcrypt.

I wanted to make robots sing. Why is the real world so gay

Only if you keep up the Jew boogeyman mentality

WaveNet was some pretty big news, maybe try using that. Someone did an implementation in Tensorflow/Python I believe.

sauce:
deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/

I was just kidding haha, but thanks for the link though

Funny enough I had already saved this and had planned to start with the game of life. I'll try more of these, anything else you can recommend?

Not really, I'm am unemployed dropout.

If you're really daring you should look up salary negotiation and stuff down that alley.

>I forget things. how do you compare your knowledge against other people?
You cram for interviews the same way you would cram for an exam, then forget most of it and use references later.

>how do you know how much you know, compared to college
Listed criterion for the job. Give or take. Most job listings have abominably insane reqs. so if you have half or more of the requested skills then you should apply.

>is linkeding really required?
No. I graduated in '09 and have been working ever since without a social media account of any kind. Word of mouth and personal connections through work and volunteering is worth far more than a dummied up LI account anyway.

>I'm ashamed of my life/CV, so I wouldn't make it public, at all.
You don't have to make anything known unless they ask, or it's legally required like a felony. Most employers aren't interested in anything more than the last few years. If you haven't been doing anything, get some kind of ass-covering excuse and a few contacts to back it up. I took a three year hiatus from college after my freshman year and lived in the boonies doing farm work. Its definitely possible to recover from a falling out with life you just have to sit up and take stock of things and start fixing them one by one.

Also, the first step is always your mind is no good if you're a fat unhealthy fuck.

What's a good rule of thumb for which skills requested on a listing can be disregarded

>I wanted to make robots sing.
>Why is the real world so gay
top kek
use some TTS engine?

thanks m8

how the fuck do you do marketing for something like this?
>I kid you not this is production software. Our business pays $10k a month for this shit.
that's some easy money...

Cred Forums I'm making the difference. Plunging in to a Linux distro right now learning the ropes and trying to look around for self-teaching materials AND getting /fit/.

But I'm 28.

Am I kidding myself? Am I going to be an old dinosaur when I put my name out there and apply? Is it too late to head back to school?

I have been working for about 4 years and have been on both sides of the interview table a couple of times now. Here are 3 tips:

1. Don't have a portfolio with 100 shitty github projects, have 1 really solid application that shows the absolute best you can do within your field of work. Spend a lot of time on the UI if you are making anything like an app or website. This has to be something you are very proud of and can talk about with ease.

2. Show knowledge about the latest developments in the field you are applying for. For example, if you are going for an Android Developer job you should know about Retrofit, Realm, Kotlin, RxJava, vector drawables etc.

3. Try to keep the conversation going during an interview. Be confident, ask questions yourself.

I would start as a tester/support and hopefully you can find a chance to show your skills to actual software engineers. I know a friend with no degree who simply overheard a conversation between 2 engineers and simply said "Hey man maybe I can help you with that" and after a few weeks he was helping with development. But these are lucky and rare moments I guess.

Really appreciate the advice man

OP here i definitely agree to that, i mean think about it, would u rather hire someone that can actually interact with others (producing a better team or employee) with some set of skills, on the other hand some other guy who sure might have slightly better skills but is just a durr
Very good advice there, i have nothing to add haha
I wouldnt say its too late, as long as you have the skills, and with your age you could say that you have had other jobs that helped build your skills as an empolyee, try to use it to your advantage