Game maker studio

Gamemaker studio humble bundle is still available, are any of you guys working on a game?
LOLI FACTORY is coming soon boyos

Other urls found in this thread:

yoyogames.com/showcase
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I probably won't be able to get, probably won't be able to use it anyways, but hopefully it's back again another time or in their store.

botnet

The complete pack is 1000dollars on their website lol

I mean Humble Bundle store.

Hoi freako

Hoi fagit

> can't export to linux
Fuck that I'll hand code my shit thankyouverymuch

>
>
/
v
/

Not like I can make the art for a full on game anyways. I need an artist.

I'm using unity anyways, and it's free as long as you don't make 100k. Even then you only have to pay like $1000 or something.

>free
Not the free that counts.

we're talking about videogames, free as in free money for rms leads to shit like tux racer.

What's the development like?

I haven't looked at it yet, but how much of a learning curve is there?

I have ideas for some games I'd like to make, does it have ways of interaction with hardware, such as gyro sensor?

>does it have ways of interaction with hardware, such as gyro sensor?

For phone development, yes it does.

Freedoom
Battle for Wesnoth
Freeciv
Xonotic
Warsow
Hedgewars
Teeworlds
Jumpnbump
0 AD
Bos Wars
Warzone 2100
Nethack
Minetest
OpenArena
Freedink
Burgerspace

These are just the ones I could think of right now.

Awesome thanks. Yeah forgot to say about phone Dev.

I bought it as it was cheap. How difficult is it to learn? I have a few ideas, but not sure how quickly I could implement them.

lol, q3a engine clone shooters, shit strategy games based on AoE and depreciated software, jesus christ, this list is full of terrible games.

He's going all out.

It's alright, lots of people use it for prototyping stuff, the $15 bundle available atm has the export modules for iOS, Android and WP, so probably has all the libraries for the gyro ect right there.

yoyogames.com/showcase has a non exhaustive list of gamemaker games, surprising how many there are.

>lol free as in freedom games are all like tux racer
>shown a list of games that are decidedly not tux racer
>L-LOL I'VE NEVER PLAYED ANY OF THOSE B-BUT THEY'RE BAD L-LOL

Actually I have, Warsow and OpenArena are passable Q3A clones, made pointless now that Quake Live exists, 0 AD is an Age of Empires clone, but somehow worse in every way, Freeciv is Civ 1, but for cheapos, Warzone 2100 was a retail release, and became abandonware, Nethack is probably the only good game on the list, the rest are "free as in freedom alternatives" for good games, but worse in every possible way.

I've been trying to learn Swift for iOS Dev, but slow process. If this is good for games, itd be easy to throw out games for all platforms.

Just wouldn't want to spend ages trying to learn this. Would prefer to push more time into swift. I don't see games as a big money maker, but a nice side project.

Can you out ads into the games? Or would this need IAP/up front cost to make some money?

>Actually I have
All of them or just the ones you specifically listed?

I've been playing with it, no interest in developing for iOS, so concentrating on windows for steam and android, it's remarkably easy to put google ads support in, so I imagine the iOS alternative is just as easy.

Of those games I've played:
Freedoom
Battle for Wesnoth
Freeciv
Xonotic
Warsow
Hedgewars
Teeworlds
0 AD
Warzone 2100
Nethack
Minetest
OpenArena

Nethack and Teeworlds were decent, rest were pale immitations of what they were clones of, which was often games that were a decade old to begin with. The world of games development is cutthroat, so if you limit yourself to only free software, you mayaswell not bother.

Thanks. Are you learning new or have previous experience?

How easy is it to get an game into steam?

If your game would be bad as free software, it would be bad as proprietary software.

Fairly new, little bit of JS knowledge, which I'm finding is fairly useless to me now, so it's slow going, but learning from youtube tutorials, getting better all the time. On the topic of steam, Greenlight seems to be the way to go, but it's $100 to get on the list, then the steam users must vote to say they'll buy it if it were on steam, not guaranteed sales, and you need to have a decent video of the game in action to attract potential customers.

freetard, that doesn't even make sense, stop posting.

>doesn't even make sense
I don't know how much clearer I can make it. A bad game is going to be bad no matter if it's free or not, so "limiting yourself to free software" makes no difference.

Thanks. Good luck!

Is the $100 per game? Or just like a licence to add games to the greenlight list?

but a good game often uses proprietary software engines or libraries like speedtree or havok, and as you can't use that in free software, you'll always be lagging behind technology wise, and that means your game looks shit compared to everything else to begin with.

$100 to become a publisher I think, godspeed to you as well!

Not him, but it's a non sequitur. His point was that most free as in freedom games are fucking garbage, and if you limit yourself to free software then you might as well give up on videogames.

>that means your game looks shit compared to everything else
Is that the software you use's fault or your artist's fault? There are good looking free games and bad looking nonfree games. Free or not, if it looks like shit, it's probably your fault.

>most ... games are fucking garbage
FTFY

Does building a game in a game maker make you a real programmer?

I don't think so. It's like building a program in Visual Studio.

You can use Havok to add physics to your game, or you can write your own physics engine, using Havok free's up a load of time, and it's fairly cheap as well, whereas writing it yourself costs a lot of time, and as time is money, it's costing you your budget, so actually, using only free software is going to make your game look shit because you're wasting your budget making up for lack of middleware.

>Is that the software you use's fault or your artist's fault? There are good looking free games and bad looking nonfree games.

Good looking also means "does it look fun to play" and 99% of free clones aren't worth the time downloading.

Yes and no. You start off "coding" like you would in visual basic, but you can delve into the code yourself, the syntax is similar to several other languages, so you can "graduate" to something else later on with a bit of general experience.

>You can use Havok to add physics to your game, or you can write your own physics engine
I just did a quick, successful search for a free physics engine. Why couldn't you?
>99% of
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

Oh, I did too, and the free ones are shit. Name a successful game that's sans proprietary software?

>and the free ones, w-which I'm not naming or giving any examples of, are shit
>name a successful game that's sans proprietary software, e-even though I've already conceded that and named some

>i kinda liked a game makes is successful

i really wish freetards would kill themselves, but unfortunately, everything they could kill themselves with is proprietary. You've entered a thread talking about a specific piece of software, and tried to inject your inane "but muh freedoms!" nonsense.

How do you even cope with all those patented objects you no doubt use every day, you fucking hypocrite?

>being so salty
Nethack was made in 1987 and is still played by loads of people today. Even people who haven't played it have heard of it. That's a success no matter how you try to spin it.
Why is it such a big deal for you to "win" this? Is it so bad that there are free technologies being used today instead of proprietary ones?

Learn to program you fucking idiot, no good game has ever come out of gamemaker studio.

>unity
Have fun with the shittiest graphics engine to date.

Why did you come into a thread for a piece of software to spout your agenda then fucko?

Don't you have the /flgt/ safe space to talk about the evils of software you have to pay for, and the merits of eating things off your foot?

>Is it so bad that there are free technologies being used today instead of proprietary ones?
Is it so bad that people like using proprietary software without you harpies whining about it? Go back to your safe space.

Hotline Miami and Hyper Light Drifter are fucking excellent, go fuck yourself.

>waaaah d-don't make fun of my game maker studio
Take a breather before you hurt yourself.

>Get out of my safe space.

>indie bullshit
They were decent at best. You can't make anything more than an indie in those things, and a shitty, slow, ugly one at that.