/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install
android-x86.org/
parabola
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality
pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-multiverse-i386/broadcom-sta-common_5.100.82.112-4_all.deb/download/
wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware
gimp.org/about/splash/
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreboot/2016-09/msg00036.html
zammit.org/libreboot-screwup.html
github.com/Hakarin/dotfiles.git
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for windows 10 with bash.

You mean GNU/Windows 10.

Can someone please explain what is going on here?

The RAM usage that screenfetch displays is not the same as in the used column from the output of the free command:
$ screenfetch -n -N -d mem; free -m
RAM: 1065MiB / 3011MiB
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 3011 992 213 4 1806 1847
Swap: 1922 16 1906

I found this line in the screenfetch source:
usedmem="$(((($memtotal - $memfree) - $membuffer - $memcached) / $human))" (that is all read from /proc/meminfo)
That should be actively the used memory, right?

I tied calculating the actively used memory like they did it in screenfetch, but using the numbers from the free command:
3011 - 213 - 1806 = 992
and I get the same used memory from the output of free, which is obviously not 1065 (output of screenfetch).

So, the method used by free and screenfetch to get the used memory is exactly the same, yet the result is different?

I prefer GNU/Linux with added powershell instead

you cant know because its non free software :^)

New to linux here.

How is powershell better than bash, or say zsh?

also, anyone have any ideas about more useful aliases?

>powershell better than bash
It's not

Sorry guys, if the computer I have can play a ps2 emulator with windows but not ubuntu then I can't use ubuntu.

Are you too autistic to buy a fucking console?

What chromebook should I buy?

dubs confirm your good choice

did I get memed?

>buying consoles
>buying games
>spending all that money
>when it can just be emulated

If you want to that's fine but not everyone has money to waste.

>spending money on something you'll do for hours is now wasting money
What will you do of all the money you saved then ? buy dragon dildos ?

Anime figures, obviously.

If I had the money I would probably buy consoles and games but I don't, it's that simple. I'm not like some of you faggots I don't get da bennies.

>dragon dildos

>anime figures

>Why will you buy the actual think if you can ""emulate"" it

What's the main difference between Gentoo and Funtoo?

yes

Read the wiki.

dude, LibreOffice can't make graphs like that. What program did you make it in?

(You)

hard

also alias "cd.." to "cd .."

likely due to screenfetch itself causing additional memory usage

install gentoo

Already installed.

guise I need halp.
My employer handed me a mac book pro and I'm forced to use it.
How can I make it make suck less?
How the fuck do I use this thing?
Why is the touchpad completely fucked and useless??
Why is there no right click? What the fuck does control do?
What the fuck is alt for?
What the fuck happened?

How do I cope?
Moving from Arch w/Awesomewm and tons of hotkeys.

i type exit into terminal and it leaves me with a fucked terminal window.
Why does it not close the terminal? What the fuck is the problem with this operating system?

How do I tile windows in OS X

this is not a friendly thread

Are you an idiot? Feh and other programs won't work without X. Only the CLI stuff will work. He was specifically asking about GUI programs.

Can I install and use current Adobe creative suite products on any Linux distro using any methods?

I'm currently dual booting OSX and a Linux distro.

Sadly, and outrageously, I need this for my work. I work at a publishing company and the down stairs guys use Linux, up stairs use Apple products. I work as an intermediary between them and do a ton of work for both. I'm tired of working between operating systems, and I hate OSX. The office gave me the machine with OSX already installed but I would love to trash it.

No one said anything about using feh without X.

OP says so.

Still searching for the best method to convert a gif into a webm as lossless as possible with ffmpeg.

What distro would you suggest for a beginner? Heard bad things about Mint and Ubuntu.

I would just install debian from the start if i was new.

Currently using Gentoo but I somehow fucked up my packages, thinking about trying something new if I can't fix this shit.
So how does Void compare to Gentoo? I like the idea of LibreSSL by default but what about the packager manager, is it good?

so you want to jump from a well supported/documented but DIY distro to a not documented and unsupported distro because you couldn't figure something out on the first one?
do you hear yourself talking?
Your options listed from best to worst:
>Seeking for help with your problem in the gentoo irc or maybe here
>reinstalling gentoo/funtoo
>installing another well supported and documented distro like debian or fedora
>screaming niggers in detroit
>screaming heil hitler in a synagoge in israel
>killing a police officer
>killing government officials
>????
>installing a shitty hipster niche distro knly because you were too inexperienced to fix a problem you caused

Hey anons i have problem with Arch.
This is 3rd time it happens, when i leave computer for few hours and comeback its monitor should be off and that is all. But now, sometimes it wont turn on when display is off. All i can do i shutdown it, and for that i need to hold power button.
What do i do?

Chill nigga.
I didn't say (I didn't mean to anyway) I was going to move JUST because of this package conflict.
I'd like to start new and experience a different distro.
But I'll probably figure this package thing out. The point of my post was to get peoples opinions on Void.

Holy shit I just fixed it.
([Im and idiot] The date on my PC was wrong for some reason).
Fucking best feeling ever.

>he doesn't use cmd on Linux

How can I prevent someone from loading a terminal from a LiveCD or grub and change into root on my system?

Full disk encryption

openSUSE vs Debian?
I have no experience with rpm

Why choose between those two?

I dont want to get Ubuntu before Unity 8 becomes default but it seems that will be a while. Debian because I know how to use that for the most part and openSUSE because its german.

This sounds like a likely reason. Write a script to run both at the same time and post results.

Get all over that NTP breh

I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 10 to gentoo linux but I'm having a hard time. I ordered the install CD but I odn't know which file to click, there's no setup file here.

OpenSUSE hasn't been German for a few years now, I was considering it until i discovered that they are (were) in bed with Microsoft

Install Calculate Linux. It's basically Antergos for Gentoo

So still nazis then

Is the wrt1900ac open source and programmable?

Im going to buy a new router now.

No one except for the guy who initially asked the question.

>Do I need a window manager to run feh? I'm using my raspberry pi to just display an image so I don't need a wm, but idk if feh works like that

Clearly states X there, alright.

My server is getting DDOS-ed, so how can i see ip of ddoser?

If I just want a home server to remotely access certain directories in my computer, do I have to go full LAMP and use SFTP? Or is there a simpler way?

i want to add a swap partition.
I have an kvm setup
/boot is not within the lvm group
i currently have / in a 5gb sized volume on an ssd
/home is on another drive
Do u just add in a new group? Or make it a volume on the main pool?
Or do i just skip the lvm and just parition it as normal?

Also, where should swap be located at within the filesystem?

I think I just fucked up guys. I was trying to move a directory up one level so I types "mv Foldername .." and now the directory is gone. It's not in the directory I was trying to move it to nor the one it was originally in. What exactly did I just do?

press arrow-up key to find out what you really, really typed

So why do we need three threads faggots?

Thread 1: Thread 2: Thread 3:

okay the exact thing I typed was "mv Downloads/Doris/Earl\ Sweatshirt\ -\ Doris .."
Directory is now nowhere to be found

>thread 2 fucking up the tag
>thread 3 posted 36 minutes ago

2nd thread was up first

SJW trannies hate GNU an need their own thread. The other one looks like made by someone who didn't check the catalog. Just let them 404.

Actually 2nd thread is slow (obviously) and this one is already the second follow up thread. Check the "Previously on" links.

Do any of you see any actual benefit of using a distro w/ micro kernels?

>words

You should have gotten a permission denied error and the directory should still be where it was

he's correct tho, just checked the links
that said, nobody cares which one was first, just reuse the already up threads and when they all 404 make a new one

just checked the digits

#
Checked

#
mv "Downloads/Doris/Earl Sweatshirt - Doris" ..

would be correct. Just use "find".

Escaping spaces with \ works just fine.
But he probably won't have permission to directly write to /home/

How is /fglt/ pronounced? "Faglet"?

What's a cheap second GPU to get if I want to try GPU bypassing and don't have integrated graphics? Looking either a GeForce 210 or GT 710 right now.

Ef-gé-el-te

FGLT is a recursive acronym which is a acronym itself, meaning FGLT.

Eff geh' el Tee.

fuguilt

fucking gnu linux trolls

How do you guys protect yourselves from malware when running (proprietary) games on GNU/Linux?

We really need a proper logo for these threads, can someone get on it? Please include the gimp pepper so everyone can see that the logo was made using free (as in freedom) open source software

Native stuff: Sandbox, programs get it's own filesystem and kernel protection. Also pretty comfy to forbid a program network access. Firejail for ex. is comfy as fuck, literally just
firejail program

That said, windows malware may not work on GNU/Linux, but when using WINE, protection is a good idea since WINE is not an emulator; it works directly with your filesystem, that's why winshit belongs jailed into a VM.

I disagree. Repeating OP pictures are boring as fuck. An unwritten rule should be: Never post a OP maymay twice.

Fair enough, but it is still very important that the gimp pepper be included in every op picture, otherwise these threads aren't going to attract enough people, since they might not feel safe

The pepper thing is a good idea. Will add them to new OC. Thanks for suggesting.

gimp isn't the only free image editor

True.

Meant to quote

Watermarks are cancer. ALWAYS. If you fags really want to force GIMP, drop it only when it's a good idea (comics for example) but imagine a annoying pepper on a wallpaper or rendered, transparent png. Fuck this shit.

A-anyone?

What distro would be better to learn to use the terminal? Debian, Ubuntu, or otherwise? pls help GNU/Linux-senpai~

Any. Just don't install a DE

A microkernel is basically much much faster and better to configure than a monolithic, but (the only worth microkernel) HURD's development is ass slow, since it's very hard to debug microkernels (for example, you always need to figure out which sever talked with wich other server to determine where the bug actually happened, while on Linux you can determine it very fast). That's basically why the development is so slow, also there are not much developers. That said, HURD is currently v0.8. With luck in maybe 2020 the shit may be useable (it already is, but not for public and completly bug free).

Debian has a port for it if you want to play around with it and make some benchmarks or whatever: debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install
There's also an Arch port.

Cool cool thanks for explaining the difference

>but (the only worth microkernel) HURD
What is NT?

The basic difference is:
Microkernel: A set of many small programs that do specific jobs.
Monolithic: One big program that does all jobs.

Cancer.

fuck off tannenbaum

The g is forced upon us by freetards whos entire life revolves around creating new threacs forcing it upon us.
Everyone in this thread uses linux, which is what we have in common. Although, not everyone in this thread, uses gnu, a common misconception from freetards

so its
ful-lul-tee

Linux was obsolete when it starded. That's not really bad, since it worked and pushed the free software movement, but srsly Linus, why did you turn Linux into proprietary bullshit? Instead of "destroying microsoft" and forcing marketshare with including kernel blobs, grab your balls and work on free drivers you lazy fuck.

Still does not make for a good explanation. Linux kernel runs a plenty of threads which can very well be classified as programs. The actual difference is that in monolithic kernel every process is in same memory space, while a microkernel has each process in its own memory space. And hence problems with developing a microkernel - instead of just accessing data which is just there, in monolithic kernel, you have to devise a protocol for exchanging data between different kernel processes. Apart from being cumbersome to program for, it also is extremely inefficient, because of constant context switches (which you have to do because each process is in its own memory space).

>someone interjected me and now I'm traumatized
>from now on, I hate everything which is the root of my pain: gnu, stallman, and freedom in general
>I'll will show them, I'll show them that they are wrong
>I'll replace all shell utilities with busybox, who needs gnu? nobody
>Oh, did you know there's alpine? NOT EVERYONE IS USING GNU HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>FUCK GNU YOULL NEVER INTERJECT ME AGAIN

are you ok

dubs of truth

as i mentioned in the last thread: hypocrites
one day they call windows users botnet cucks
the next day they call freetards stallman cucks

You don't have to suck Stallman's cock to run Linux.
Modern distributions clearly don't have enough GNU software in them to put GNU into the name.

I see, when you install Windows and install 2000 additional programs, it's not Windows anymore?

watch revolution os and educate yourself buddy

how do i get out of the shell in debian installer
also how i bypass the part where it says no ethernet card detected? i don't know how to get the b43 wireless card drivers it needs for my wlan card on a USB drive. it won't let me get past the "no ethernet card detected" part even though it's not a net install.

CTRL+ALT+[F1-F2-F3...]

It's still Windows. And when I install cygwin with a ton of GNU stuff on it, it's still Windows. It's not GNU/Windows, it's not cugwin/Windows. If I have a Windows installation CD-ROM with cygwin bundled, it's still Windows.

that only takes me to different shells. i want to go back to the graphical installer.

And especially, it's not called NT, right?

Just Windows. When someone asks what OS I run, I'd answer Windows.
And if I run Debian, and someone asks that question, I'd answer either Debian or Linux. Answering GNU/Linux in that context is inane.

Hey folks, ready to pull the trigger on diving into a platform. I'm totally new, but I want barebones as I can be. I hear Debian is friendly and werks, but I'm also eyeing Arch knowing it'll be a slog but I'll know all of what I'm getting out of it as I put it there in the first place.

Maybe I'm overestimating myself thinking of Arch when I'm a total newbie, so I came to you. I also asked in stupid questions but I feel this may be a solid query here, too. As I'm looking at new hardware/a new build here in a year or two I'm curious how Linux handles gaming, if at all. If I want to be a Cred Forumsirgin with my gayman should I stick to dual boot? Run an environment? What success, if any, has anyone had? Or what are people doing now?

what if I run Debian/kFreeBSD? should I tell them I use Linux? or what if I use any other kernel? you're right with calling the distribution by it's name, but when it comes to the base system, you need to name it correctly. the problem (or average) of using free software is that you combine many stuff to create your own OS, which means, when you run busybox with musl, you say that or when you run gnu with kfreebsdfire, you say that or when you use gnu's free port of linux you say Linux-libre, or when you run GNU/Linux, you say GNU/Linux.

there's the argument that normalfags wount understand the differences, but even here, if they don't understand it anyway, it doesnt matter also, anyway

only because you hate freedom, for whatever reason, doesnt mean that all systems are just running linux

>what if I run Debian/kFreeBSD?
Tell them you run Debian/kFreeBSD

The important part is that you are running Linux kernel. This gives you information about what kind of software you can expect to run on the system. That's why I generalize them all as Linux.

Which Android emulators are available for free on GNU/Linux?

yes, dual boot, or GPU passthough, which is like having your debian and eating your windows too. GPU passthrough is fairly tough though.

>for whatever reason
>implying it isn't just a triggered normalfag who got interjected one time too much or needs something to justify himself for using some botnet software

android
android-x86.org/

As a freetard I'm telling you: You're doing it wrong. You woun't convince anyone to freedom by insulting.

It either runs natively, with Wine or I won't play it.

Guys, I'm trying to run Windows 10 in a VM but I have not enough RAM to run it, is there a way to fake the amount of RAM my machine can provide? I'm using virtualbox with a pretty old laptop.

Underrated post

normalfag spotted who only runs popular software such as linux mint instead of the good things

void is pretty good, it's what people actually want, but don't get when they install arch: simplicity, freedom and less bloat

What's the point of installing it if you still can't run it?

I'm trying to access the filesystem because I want to rip some stuff out of it (fonts, etc).
If there's a way to extract it like a normal iso (7zip, mount, whatever) please tell me.

>fonts from windows

Apparently, the Windows installer manages to extract that shit just fine, so obviously there is a way.

I'm a nostalgia collector. ;_;
Been collecting sounds, fonts, and other shit since the 80's.

install gentoo

Installed debian. Missing firmware for wifi. So i installed it i guess (firmware realtek). I dont see any option to look for nearby wifi. What i need to do more?

I would just like to interject for one moment. The operating system you are suggesting for me to install, and rather commandingly might I add, will in fact, not directly solve my current problem at hand, and will actually cause me to ask further questions about the difficult process involved in installing it. Gentoo is a very nice operating system itself, but I'd rather you directly assist me in my quest to solve my current predicament.

I understand that many computer users run the Gentoo Linux operating system, and I realize they may enjoy it greatly and are not currently experiencing the current problem that I have whilst using my non-Gentoo operating system. Through a peculiar turn of events, I have noticed an enormous amount of users make the "Install Gentoo" suggestion, but many of its users are not aware that this suggestion, in most cases, is actually not an "easy-fix" to every single computer-related error.

There really are reasons for installing Gentoo, and there are people using it, but it is just for the few users who choose to compile their own source code locally according to their chosen configuration. Gentoo is just another operating system: the problems I am experiencing will not undeviatingly be solved if I make the choice to install it. All these so-called "Install Gentoo" suggestions I am noticing should cease immediately.

Meant to quote (I'm too stupid today)

Whats up guys?

get this nonfree crap out of my face
(I heard portage can filter packages by license, how does it work? I've a Gentoo VM, playing with it)

And so there is no response. After all your insults about lack of understanding, you just retreat without an argument. Pathetic.

Actually void is more than that, it's a great mixture between Gentoo and Arch. You get a bloat free system with all freedoms to install what you want (even if you need a proprietary module, just like Debian) and init system. Voids package manager can install binaries or if you want, you use it to compile everything from source.

rewrite /etc/portage/make.conf :
ACCEPT_LICENSES="@FREE"

Stupid. Apt can do the same since ever. Nothing new.

And what is nonfree on my system?

Thanks! Is there a related wiki page?

>pacman cucks will defend this
>no option to use only free packages

Gentoo Handbook, Wiki : Package management, Wiki: Portage, Wiki: make.conf

In my experience, Arch users don't care about freedom anyway, so it doesn't matter. That said, if any Arch user here want's to go full freedom, just install the parabola package my-freedom (or whatever it's called), which warns you when you're going to install a nonfree package. (desu, I wish'd there was such an option builtin with pacman, cuz you basically never know if something is proprietary unless you check the package manually).

thanks

Parabolafag here, the package is called "your-freedom". parabola
.nu/packages/?name=your-freedom
(tfw parabola page is still in 4chans spam filters REEEEEEEEEEEEE)

i reported the error back in 2015, mods didn't care, maybe it would break their shitty regex or whatever, didn't get any answer

>not using a proper package manager

Got some nostalgia splash screens from old versions for the GIMPfags above (dumping now with sage). Enjoy.

Why are a bunch of things not rendered in my browser on my Arch install? I'm talking some fonts, and lots of icons. Is there some kind of font package to install? I never had rendering issues on my old KDE Fedora install.

Firefox on Arch. Running a minimal WM. Should I just install a DE?

When I install packages in Debian, most ask "y/n?" Sometimes, it installs without prompt.
Why?

I think it only asks if it's installing more than one package (for dependencies) could be wrong though.

Actually it asks you sometime for just a single package without any suggestions or recommendations and sometimes it just installs it.

pix or it didn't happen

If you ask an explicit operation, then it will not prompt, but if it's implicit operations it asks.
ie.
apt install
#confirmation asked, since has and
apt install
#no confirmation asked, since no additional dependencies is needed
apt install
#no confirmation asked, since has no dependencies

Hope that clears it.
Also if you use --yes switch to answer yes automatically, it also will ask in certain conditions, mainly a bad public-key and few other conditions.
--yes and --force-yes are needed to be sure it doesn't prompt anything.
Answering automatically is mainly useful in automation situations.

On GNU/Linux you get the distro developers preferred font configuration, - doesn't mean you need to keep it. Check OP's copypasta links about where to get fonts and how to configure your own fontconfig or go the newcomer way and install wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality which basically does everything for you, you get a nice menu where you can configure how your fonts should appear.

For emojies (or whatever this bullshit is called) no idea. Your best bet is to install some bullshit font that supports those bullshit normalfag bullshit emotions.

That raged, if you want quick and full support for all glyphs from as much languages around, install noto fonts.

I usually like the default way. Some programs "don't really need this third party program, but to 100% work it would be cool", so I just hit y.

If I thing I don't need addtional program X, I just go with my no-recommends alias etc.

Implicit extra packages, removing essential packages and changing the held status trigger the prompt.

NT was a microkernel before it got molested by Microsoft to be monolithic so now anyone who builds the OS internally or for release has to build Win32. We could've had POSIX and OS/2 backends and Windows would've been kickass.

They only brought that back recently with the Windows Linux Subsystem.

Yeah, usually the recommends are useful and make sense.
I've few times installed a program and then realized I also need this package, which would have been installed with recommends.

why am i getting Permission denied when trying to add sources in debian via # /etc/apt/sources.list :?

make sure you are root user editing the file, for example if you use nano:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

You're not root

user@bane:-$ su
Password:
root@bane:/home/user# /etc/apt/sources.list :
bash: /etc/apt/sources.list: Permission denied
How am I not root?

It's just for the thread, not for everything. You should try taking an English class, I think it would help you develop better reading comprehension.

why are you doing it like that? open the file with a text editor and add the source. you're trying to execute the file by doing it that way.

because this told me to do it that way.

this image assumes you know what you're doing. it says to add those lines to that file, not type '# /etc/apt/sources.list :' into a terminal. to edit the file, type
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and then copy-paste those lines into the file.

So how customization is i3?

why are you running your sources.list file?

>american education

>hurr you're just supposed to know that root symbol followed by directories means actually open the file and type the lines in
fuck off yuropoor.

Check firefox settings...
Check icon pack
check gtk/qt theme

>Permission denied
>You are only allowed to read the file or write to the file, not execute the file.

>You are only allowed to read the file or write to the file, not execute the file.
it didn't say that.

after i updated the sources i did
apt-get install firmware-b43-installer like pic related says, but it still doesn't recognize my wlan card (BCM43228)

what the fuck

Guys? ;-;

sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list

according to a solution on the ubuntu forums, type this into terminal & reboot:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source

Prepare youselfs anons, here comes my blog.

What really rustles my jimmies.

Mint: A broken and insecure distro, forces by "Linux blogs" of normalfag tech illiteratates who don't know what they are talking about. Thousands of people keep installing it, not caring about the security problems and call people who mention the propblems autistic.

Arch Linux: literally every neo Cred Forums faggot things Arch is the ultimative freedom and ricer distro, but in reality, it bloats up the system even more than a Mint install since the kernel and the packages are so extremly bloated, it's just a joke aswell as the "Arch Way" of doing KISS things like forcing systemd and bloating the kernel will literally all botnet modules enabled by default, breaking the system with linking python to the wrong binaries aswell as linking sh to bash, which also slows everything down

Fedora: a distro shilled for, yes why even? what is fedora? a freetard distro? no, the packages may follow strict guidelines, but drivers and kernel blobs are allowed, so what? fedora is nothing but a testbest for RHEL; you're doing it for free and get in return no packages

/blog

does gentoo rustle you fellow gent?

Not really, unlike FSF I know that I'm able to filter my packages the way I want.

root@bane:~# apt-get install linux-headers-generic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package linux-headers-generic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source

E: Package 'linux-headers-generic' has no installation candidate
root@bane:~# apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package bcmwl-kernel-source

try this instead:
pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-multiverse-i386/broadcom-sta-common_5.100.82.112-4_all.deb/download/

why are you recommending me ubuntu packages when i'm on debian?

i didn't have any issues getting b43 to work with my wlan card on openSUSE. i'd rather get b43 working than use broadcom STA packages.

what works on ubuntu is 99% likely to work on debian too

While you're correct, I'd like to defend the FSF: The point of a completly free distro is it's default state. If gentoo would come with a filter for free licences out of the box, I'm sure it would be listed at the GNU page aswell as Debian, but both distros, Gentoo and Debian don't do this and in their wikis, they have recommended instructions how to install proprietary programs, which results in security problems.

I agree that you can make "anything you want" out of Arch or Gentoo, but it should come with proprietary stuff by default, just for the sake of conenvience.

Use sway, i3 obsolete.

s/should/shouldn't/

this was in dmesg
b43-phy0: Broadcom 43228 WLAN found (core revision 30)
[ 4.102957] b43-phy0: Found PHY: Analog 9, Type 4 (N), Revision 16
[ 4.102968] b43-phy0: Found Radio: Manuf 0x17F, ID 0x2057, Revision 9, Version 1
[ 4.103502] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNLS ]
[ 4.103626] b43 bcma0:1: firmware: failed to load b43/ucode30_mimo.fw (-2)
[ 4.103634] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[ 4.103664] b43 bcma0:1: firmware: failed to load b43/ucode30_mimo.fw (-2)
[ 4.103669] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[ 4.104760] b43 bcma0:1: firmware: failed to load b43-open/ucode30_mimo.fw (-2)
[ 4.104768] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43-open/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[ 4.104783] b43 bcma0:1: firmware: failed to load b43-open/ucode30_mimo.fw (-2)
[ 4.104788] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43-open/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[ 4.104792] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.
[\code]

>While you're correct, I'd like to defend the FSF: The point of a completly free distro is it's default state. If gentoo would come with a filter for free licences out of the box, I'm sure it would be listed at the GNU page aswell as Debian, but both distros, Gentoo and Debian don't do this and in their wikis, they have recommended instructions how to install proprietary programs, which results in security problems.

>I agree that you can make "anything you want" out of Arch or Gentoo, but it should come with proprietary stuff by default, just for the sake of conenvience.
Oh lol, read carefully handbook and wiki, 'binutils' by defaut, about licenses you can read in wiki and handbook.

did you try
You must go to wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.

Hello,i am a poorfag that can not afford a laptop,so i though that i can just install debian in a portable hard drive and boot it in my homes pc and at college's pc,but desktop manager keeps crashing when a change computers,my home pc has amd cpu&gpu and college ones have nvidia&intelÂżwhat should i install to make it work?,Is there a better alternative?

Of course. It says pic related.
lspci -nn -d 14e4: gives
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]

So unless the b43 firmware package is older than 3.17 I don't understand why it isn't working.

forgot pic.

gimp.org/about/splash/

>what install
Use wayland

Sup special snowflake running broken alpha software. How's life?

For real or is just a meme?

>use wayland
>use an ever smaller support

Is there a way to Ctrl+F a thread to instantly find out when someone is using \ tags?

I'm surprised you can boot just whatever you want at your college pcs

>be transgender
>hate gnu because they hate traps
>want to switch to gnu/linux to escape the botnet
what do?

bait 9000, but I'm baiting, get rekt by some based RMS pasta

>>hate gnu because they hate traps
Source?
GNU is Richard Marx Stallman, and Richard Marx Stallman is a hardcore leftist. Since when to leftists hate degenerates?

get professional help and become a normal person

He isn't, go back to school and learn about left sides, communism etc.

Also:

>Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where they allow only monopoly. … if the users chooses this proprietary software package, he then falls into this monopoly for support … the only way to escape from monopoly is to escape from proprietary software, and that is what the free software movement is all about. We want you to escape and our work is to help you escape. We hope you will escape to the free world.

fuck off Leah Rowe

>mfw i'm going to have to go beg some shitty IRC channel to help get this broken bullshit to work
debian is a fucking meme

What distro do you recommend then?
>inb4 gentoo

Thinking about installing Deepin
Anyone tried the Chinese botnet yet?

>Source?
newfriend spotted

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreboot/2016-09/msg00036.html

tl;dr some mentally ill tranny on social justice war

wew laddy nevermind. rebooting fixed it. i thought you linuxfags always shit on windows for having to reboot to make changes to the OS?

>sjwpepe.jpg
saved

I'm just leaving this here:zammit.org/libreboot-screwup.html
#rekt

Yep,you can install/download all the shit you want into them,that is the main reasons i want to work on my own OS,it is not the first time that one of my pendrives get home with 5 trojans

"""Dr""" Richard Stallman

1996: Honorary doctorate from Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology
2001: Honorary doctorate, from the University of Glasgow
2003: Honorary doctorate, from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel
2004: Honorary doctorate, from the Universidad Nacional de Salta
2004: Honorary professorship, from the Universidad Nacional de IngenierĂ­a del Peru
2007: Honorary professorship, from the Universidad Inca Garcilaso de la Vega
2007: Honorary doctorate, from the Universidad de Los Angeles de Chimbote
2007: Honorary doctorate, from the University of Pavia
2008: Honorary doctorate from the Universidad Nacional de Trujillo, in Peru
2009: Honorary doctorate, from Lakehead University
2011: Honorary doctorate, from National University of CĂłrdoba
2012: Honorary professorship, from the Universidad CĂ©sar Vallejo de Trujillo, in Peru
2012: Honorary doctorate, from the Universidad Latinoamericana Cima de Tacna, in Peru
2012: Honorary doctorate, from the Universidad José Faustino Sanchez Carrió, in Peru
2014: Honorary doctorate, from Concordia University, in Montréal

>t. jelly bachelor NEET

why does trying to install Arch-anywhere on my pc result in a blank screen after the initial menu?

I never knew he was so revered in Peru

excuse me where the fuck is the trackpoint?

why is this allowed?

dont use installers

I just want to use it dual boot with windows for a while. If I decide I like it, I will install it the "right way"

I just don't want to risk fucking up the windows partition before I'm ready, and I know I will.

>right way
The RIGHT WAY is to fucking install it manually.

>fuck up windows
An installer is greatly increasing your chance of it nuking your windows partition
Also
Backup

>The RIGHT WAY is to fucking install it manually.
That's what I said, you thick bastard.

Reading comprehension plz

>If I decide I like it, I will install it the "right way"
>if i decide
Implying, if i do it with the installers, and i like it, i will then wipe it and do it the manual way, which i should be doing anyhow.

so i manually installed arch on an uefi machine. got it all set up surprisingly downloaded all the stuff i needed vim, wifi package, etc, with the base system. download xorg and i3 edit .xinitrc to exec i3.

it's completely shit looking. download firefox with pacman -S firefox or something. mess around and realize how much configuration it'll take to make it look anywhere near as good as the ones i see on say /r/unixporn. reinstall windows 10.

i might do it again i mean i liked that it was built from the ground up it's mainly the visual side of getting it configured without the knowledge of how to customize it.

>download xorg and i3
Dont use a shit tiling manager
If you need snowflakes and unicorns get a de you lazy fuck

just allocate some disk space then use parted or something to establish the boot/root/swap partition on that empty allocated space.

not too dificult and i don't think there's anyway it fcould mess up your windows intsal.

dude no the des are bloated as fuck and even uglier looking.

i know for a fact it's better to just use like dwm, awesome, or i3 but it's the configuring and shit that takes forever. linux feels very broken out of the box and that's why i switched back instantly. i understand you can spend hours (maybe evne days weeks for a novice as myself) to make it functional and nice looking. pic kinda related is what i was hoping to achieve but i noped out in the first day. maybe i was just overwhelmed might install arch or gentoo again and 'learn' some more.

>he fell for the arch meme

It'll never be the same as free -m because screenfetch uses resources, displays the usage, then releases them.

Exactly, if I decide I want to use Arch, I will uninstall all partitions and use arch exclusively.

Alright, the partitioning part is the part I'm a little worried about. Maybe I can test it on a VM first.

>fluxbox
I spent about a day and a half tweaking fluxbox to how i like it(no fancy gay anime weeb shit) i have not changed that config in over 8 years.
The only thing iv echanged is the right click menu, adding or removing programs/scripts from it, and icons

You cant keep whining, or just fucking do it.
Your tastes clearly style macbooks.
Just go buy one of them and be told what you like
cuck

ya you can just allocate disk space and contain the arch install right there. parted make it pretty simple to do just look up a guide on there.

it should look kinda like pic related then just select /dev/sdx that is the free space.

Can gentoo be installed in an hour?

Is there anywhere I can get config files for urxvt or maybe even like a tiling wm for use on my own system? I like a lot of color schemes from the limited time I've spent on desktop threads but don't really feel like spending the half an hour of time tweaking. Just wanna throw one in a folder and be done with it.

When you know what you are doing and want to do it correctly, you'll need a weekend.

Are there any major problems with Manjaro? I switched over from Mint, and everything seems good so far.

Fuck, I was hoping I could install gentoo in an hour. I've successfully installed it before, it took 3 days.

Switching from mint is a good step. Manjaro is fine, bad things are mostly memes (SSL problems on their website especially wasn't really Manjaros fault).

took 4 hours on my last install

I guess you could cheat a bit with reusing the live iso, but that wouldn't make sense at all.

Dude, firefox alone takes about 5 hours on my single core (so maybe 2 hours on a dual core and that's just one program).

What exactly makes installing Gentoo take so long?

Install gentoo once, create a iso, never isntall it again, just update.

he was talking about installing gentoo, not installing additional software

you have to compile everything.

Compiling and making decisions

Compiling, which depends you your specs. It's a benefit and a curse at once. You can use comfy USE flags to compile programs with or without features you like or not using the package manager, but compiling takes time. That said, the whole pain is just installing it, when you're done, you'll actually enjoy compiling and using the flags.

Firefox is one of the heaviest programs to compile, it's not really a fair measure of anything. Especially when there is a -bin version.

>posting literal pictures

>using binaries on gentoo
ayy lmao, that's for people who just want gentoo for the logo

While we're at the topic, what's the difference between funtoo and gentoo? The only thing I know is that the guy who made gentoo dropped it to make funtoo, but why? Educate me Cred Forums.

Have fun compiling firefox then.
Maybe try looking at the funtoo wiki, where there is a page dedicated to this question.

From my understanding funtoo is supposed to be a lot less awful to install.

Maybe. The (real) reason behind funtoo profiles are still beyond me as this made really awful my install progress.

So I'm trying to make a recovering script for my dotfiles but I'm struggling to copy .vim what am I doing wrong
cp ~/Documents/code/dotfiles/dotfiles/.vim ~/vim

the error I get is
cp: omitting directory '/home/pi/Documents/code/dotfiles/dotfiles/.vim'

.vim is a directory. to copy it and its contents use
cp -r

Im going to buy a cheap 3.5 enclosure.
Its going to run 24/7, I am worried about heat.

The left is plastic, but there is minimal venting along the sides in the recessed perimeter.

The right is aluminum with no venting holes at all.

Which is going to stay cooler, the vents or will the metal dissipate the heat better?

for file in *.vim
do
cp $file ~/.vim/
done

I've been trying to install debian on my new laptop, however booting from the flash drive results in a black screen even though the flash drive keeps flashing. It's been like this for a bit and I have yet to figure out why on google

>writing an image onto /dev/sdp
I only just now realized how many drives I have

VIM still doesn't work, all the files copy it just doesn't work, here's the full code
rm -rf ~/Documents/code/dotfiles/
rm -rf ~/.bashrc
rm -rf ~/.vim/
rm -rf ~/.vimrc
rm -rf ~/.viminfo

mkdir ~/Documents/code/
cd ~/Documents/code/
git clone github.com/Hakarin/dotfiles.git

cp ~/Documents/code/dotfiles/dotfiles/.bashrc ~/.bashrc
mkdir ~/.vim
cp -r ~/Documents/code/dotfiles/dotfiles/.vim ~/.vim
cp ~/Documents/code/dotfiles/dotfiles/.vimrc ~/.vimrc

Not really. You need a CPU that supports it, enough memory but memory is cheap nowadays, and a second cheap GPU for the host

You should be using symlinks instead
Also, saying "doesn't work" is not helping
Need more info

for the sake of debugging
deleted it all and cd to /home/

This will clone the repo to your home folder as the folder 'dotfiles'
git clone github.com/Hakarin/dotfiles.git dotfiles

Next, lets move the .bashrc to your home dir
cp dotfiles/dotfiles/.bashrc .

Period meaning the current directory you are in, which is /home/

Now for bashrc
cp dotfiles/dotfiles/.bashrc .

Now for vim
cp -r dotfiles/dotfiles/.vim .
cp dotfiles/dotfiles/.vimrc .

This would work, then you can adapt it to how you want it

working now thanks lad

You guys got any cool bash scripts to share? What does /fglt/ like to use?

Lots of people post their configs on github.

I'll be honest.

I've been using Arch for 6 months already, but I'm growing tired of it. It simply doesn't "just works" enough for me.

I've been struggling a lot with Matlab and fixing issues is really growing to be a lot of hassle. Also, I'm already giving up on trying to fix my printer because it doesn't feel like working at certain times.

However, I love the fact that the distro is constantly getting updated and rolling releases are the best. Mostly because my hardware is new and the AMD drivers keep getting better and better.

Help me, Cred Forums, what should I do? All I want is something that just werks™. Also, from Debian and OpenSuse distros (and based), which are the most stable and fairly updated?

Pleb here. I'm getting sick of Windows shenanigans, especially svchost deciding to do different cpu intensive processes willy nilly. Is it time for me to nut up and use babby's first ubuntoo?

Congrats on growing up. I fell for the Arch Linux meme for 3 months, 7 years ago. It's still not better.

For "Just Works^tm", try Ubunchu.

If you want a "very updated" version of Debian, install Debian and use their Testing repo.

I'm trying to install gentoo right now but it's not letting me select my mirror.

When I type:
sudo mirroselect -i -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf

I keep getting the permission denied.

You can do whatever you want, friendo. Try it with a Live CD and see if you like it.

stdout redirection doesn't work that way. Either sudo -i & perform your task, or edit it directly with nano/vi.

you mean babbys first rms communistic autismal Cred Forums shitposting transcendentalism?

sure

I don't think it's really a meme. Being a rolling release really helped a lot and I could notice improvements in general.

My only issue is that it seems like developers focus more on Debian, SUSE and RHEL systems, so there's a lot of tiring troubleshooting that comes from using Arch.

This is perhaps somewhat unrelated, but how can I make firefox use my system font?

> He isn't using xonsh instead of other *sh
> laughing girls etc.

Seriously though, check it out if you don't babyrage about whitespace.

>not updating windows when svchost goes cray cray

linux won't help, you don't know how to use operating systems

if you don't want to fix things just accept your computer will always be slow.

poor people are not allowed to be stupid, for anyone else, buy a mac

Thanks, nice digits btw

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Windows update always fails on me. I don't know why.
I wish I knew how to git gud

the key is working though or around the problem, not ignoring it and changing the thing you're trying to ignore it entirely

that being said it never hurts to get a new perspective

remember to back up your files. that has nothing to do with your OS but it's part of gitting gud

That wasn't the only reason but one of them. I feel like Microsoft is starting to get more and more big brother. I can't really explain it rationally but I get this feeling that something bad is going to happen Windows.

I have an old copy of acronis, how's that?
I'd probably use it more but my Damn e-sata likes to stop working after like maybe 30 minutes or so iirc.

I suck ok?

okay fuck it, lets scrap systemd, freedesktop, polkit, alot of the dbus fuckery, kde and the rest of the bullshit and start from scratch. Linux needs a fucking tune up, i'll admit it.

What are the most important things I need to know about computers to get into Linux kernel development/hacking?

idk i was thinking lets amp up cowsay but otherwise the apps are pretty dank right now boss

The C programming language

install gentoo

Is there a browser that plays videos with MPV by default?

You can use firefox with mozplugger. Check the Archwiki. You basically just need to use the mplayer config and replace it with mpv and mpv's flags.

Jesus Christ, rms can really dish out the pain when he wants to

>Not thinking i'm serious

Am I the only one using Solus?

Works perfectly! Thank you, user.

Seems so.

>implying
You don't need to learn programming in order to add, remove modifiy kernel modules.

Set it in your firefox settings, or use stylish to overwrite specific fonts on the web with your own.

should I use debian testing or sid?

what the heck even is solus?

->
-> New thread: ->

Sid or stable.

Use Stretch / Testing. Sid is awfully broken.