/tpg/ Thinkpad General

/tpg/ Thinkpad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/222230999711?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Thinkpad-Serieslaptop-thinkpad-7800MAH-9CELL/dp/B00Y29I868/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474390723&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo t420 battery
amazon.co.uk/LENOVO-0A36303-ThinkPad-Battery-cell/dp/B0071TYVU8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474392037&sr=1-1&keywords=0A36303
justfuckinggoogleit.com/
ktgee.net/tpg
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1
ebay.com/itm/Thinkpad-w700ds-dual-screen-laptop-2x600gb-ssd-8gb-3-06ghz-dualcore-with-wacom-/182260872129?hash=item2a6f9833c1:g:VucAAOSwqfNXmLDf
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/53ri0m/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/
aceengraving.co.uk/keycap-engraving/)
laptopscreen.com/English/model/IBM-Lenovo/FRU 93P5685/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bought a T420S on Friday. Paid with Bitcoin. Should be arriving in a couple of days. I'm pretty excited for that.

So the best to get is the T460 rite?

How does it hol up against the Yoga710, X360 13T..

I found a 1600x900 T420 in pretty mediocre condition for $140. Is it worth it even if I have to replace some parts?

I have a T420. I like to us Bluetooth to connect it to my living room stereo, and then set it on the coffee table to watch videos. I do not own a tv.

I want a second, smaller thinkpad to shitpost on while watching video on the dankpad. What is the oldest, most patrician option with decent battery life and around $100? I'll put a small SSD in it.

more details on those parts, please.
t60/x60/t61/x61, get a battery replacement if bundled one doesn't hold out for you

Is this a good deal?

The trackpad is rekt and some plastic on the bezel is broken. Those parts might be cheap to buy but i dont know how much labor it would take.

Should have said I'm looking for a ~14"

Alienware 13 is an option but das crazy money for real tho...

eh, can't really say much
really depends on how much time and labor you want to dedicate to it, I guess.
if you want it just because of a good deal, I'd personally just keep looking out of laziness.

X100e can be found on eBay ranging from $40 to $70, and it's 11.6 inch

I found an X201 on eBay with an i5-520m, 4GB RAM, and 320GB hard drive for $100 USD shipped. I've also found an X220 with an i5-2520m, 4GB RAM, and 320GB hard drive for $150. Which one should I get? They seem aesthetically identical, so is the second gen i5 worth another 50 over the first gen? I plan to take this laptop literally everywhere and play a few games of CSGO and nothing else.

I'd get the x220, better upgrade path.

>play a few games of CSGO
You won't get playable framerates in CSGO with the intel hd3000.

I have that X201. With 8GB of RAM, an SSD, and a new 9-cell battery it's a decent laptop. Screen is poor, which is probably why I'll replace it with the 230 despite the worse keyboard.

None of them can run CS:GO. CS:S barely. But the better CPU is worth the extra $50 if you plan to use it for a while.

Up to you. Do you want to pay extra $50 for that CPU upgrade? I personally paid that extra $50, but again, I don't know what you're going to do with it.
That said, I wouldn't buy either one if you want to play any games besides basic netbook games. Get something with a GPU.

I've got a system with a Celeron 847 clocked at 1.1Ghz with Intel HD 2000 and I get a framerate of 30fps~, actually.
>Pic related, it's in a shadow box

Shit I think I need this

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I will have an eGPU connected to the dock at home

Then x220, no doubt.
Have fun.

>30fps~
But that's not playable at all, even more when a smoke grenade will drop your fps to 1.

x220 then, a better CPU will help.

Thanks for the input. CSGO isn't really necessary anyways. I'm really excited to get my first thinkpad

X200, X201

There was a guy selling them for $40 shipped a while back but they sold out before I was able to purchase one. Here's one for $60, however.
ebay.com/itm/222230999711?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

No problem.
Just got my first personal Thinkpad today. Currently posting from one in my bed.

What model did you buy? I've been using a 15.6" Asus notebook for about four years and if I have a laptop, it's for portability, hence I like the models that are 13.3" or smaller.

x220, with quite similar specs to the x220 that you've shown. I usually don't like to have anything in bed because it makes me use it in uncomfortable ways, but it's light and small enough to solve that problem.

'bout to install Windows 10 on my T43.

What am I in for?

Is that the dual core?

Botnet and loads of fun with updating,
Please don't use the pure-hearted T43 for this, user.

Yeah it's a dual core

She is going to feel the many tentacles of Salty Nutella's monster in each of her orifices.

Is there a Thinkpad wikipedia or something so I can see every model of Thinkpad? Just to learn about the older ones and such

ktgee guide in OP
ThinkWiki

I installed Windows 10 on my X300 and had no end of trouble. I wish you luck trying to get the T43 to run that shit.

I'm getting annoyed right now...

I normally push files to Android devices via my network using the Android ADB. However during my transfer using Arch Linux I noticed that my transfer speeds would drop down to around 500kbps up to around 2mbps when it shouldn't be dropping down below 3mbps for the most part. Normally when I do the same thing on Windows, it will dip to 4mbps from time to time but it would fluctuate between that and 16mbps.

Is there anything I'm doing particularly wrong here or is it drivers? I'm using a Thinkpad x230 and I would really love to use Arch but these slower transfer times make it really hard to make the full switch.

Pic related, it's my x230

Hey

Im a student in my first semester of college and I work part time for 8.20$

Ive made enough for a laptop until 200

My question is should I buy a laptop?

I have a tablet (using it right now actually) and a tv connected to my pc w/ a wireless keyboard (sharing with people in my moms apartment to pay rent - I got the wireless keyboard to make it easier for me since I sleep in the living room and was cranking my neck with the wired ones)

ENOUGH BLOGPOST

So $200 is the max Im willing to spend

My preferences is a

G40 is currently being used to download memes onto floppy disks, so i can have memes on my 380ED, which cant connect to my internet
So far i have 10.1mb of pepes on the 380ED

Heres a cool speccy, desktop pentium 4 in a laptop
suprisingly cool even under load

though when that cooolers fan turns on, boy do you know it...

If that's all you intend to use it for, just got an X201.

werks on machine
Try a different cable or different mtp software

The X200 is a little on the old side, but an X201 should be a good mix of poorfag-tier cheapness and power.

I would go X220 just to ensure it'll last four years

Soon user.
I will be uploading my collection past and present, I am in the researching info about the history of ThinkPads, competitors/tech of the time, and how to identify & hopefully helpful information as well as mods/things to look for to next collectors.

do a PPC mac guide faggot.

Y'all niggas useless

>tfw you lurk in a /tpg/ thread every night because you want a thinkpad but don't own one yet

Is the x100e still useable with linux for shitposting and general email use and office work? Want something cheap, good to go or keep looking?

Yup. I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 with a wayyy weaker cpu (Atom N450) running Lubuntu and I shitpost on it just fine. Good for office work as well.

Sure, but an X201 would provide you with a lot more room to grow.

WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Reminds me of my Dell Inspiron 8200 with a Pentium 4-M, 512mb RAM, and 30GB HDD

>The X200 is a little on the old side
Nigga pls. Anything a student needs to get done can be done on a $70 X60.

Where can I find a list of compatible WiFi cards for a T430?

My G40 hasn't been sold yet, I'm thinking of getting the correct SXGA+ cable for it and upgrading to IPS with the spare A30 I got.

Interesting enough, the G5"41 loses the floppy port for a GPU fan... I think it would have three fans total if the heatsink has dual like the G40.

Just cross reference prices of a 1.6Ghz X130e, to me that's minimum...

Haha I've yet to know PPC Mac issues, I think the iBook guy would be a better source.

I'll be heading to Japan in 2 months, what should I do when I'm at the Yamato labs tour?
I think I might do a video on all the old models on display and just read specs and interesting reviews of each from back in the day.

Has anyone here been there before? Is the Thinkpad museum part even open to the public?

I want to make some unnecessary upgrades to my new(ha) t420i. It already has a single stick 8GB Samsung RAM (M471B1G73EB0-YK0) and I want to put in another 8GB stick for the laptops maximum allowed memory. Will I notice any differences if I buy a random, cheap second memory stick or should I try to find another of the same model?

So I want to take my x220 into ssd land.

Should I go for an msata ssd or just the normal hard drive ssd?

>I want to make some unnecessary upgrades
Upgrade cpu, max the ram and get three drives.

>Will I notice any differences if I buy a random, cheap second memory stick
Nah

msata so you can have ssd + hdd

How to fix X220 blank screen when waking from suspend?
Installed Antergos on my X220 the other day and most things work as they should however, waking up from suspend does not.
When waking up 'wakes up' when opening the lid but the screen just turns blank (white with the mouse pointer showing...

Any ideas?

I'm new to this whole mSata thing. It came with 128GB SSD, so where would the other two drives go?

>T420
msata ssd + hdd1 on main drive slot + hdd2 on ultrabay slot
>X220
msata ssd + hdd on main drive slot

mSATA in the mSATA slot, HDD in the regular drive slot.

Guessing it boots from the ssd in main slot and the 2 HDDs are for storing bulk shit cheap? I'll definetly be doing this now, but I can't see where I'll ever need that much storage space on this machine.
Thanks user.

The msata is a small ssd, you put it into a slot near where your wireless card goes.

Any recommended brands?

Yes, boots from the msata ssd slot.

Get 2x 2tb HDDs and be a cunt to everyone who doesn't have a laptop with 4tb of storage and an ssd. Or fill them with 4tb of stallman pictures.

I don't care about brands on ssds really. Nowadays most ssds will last a good couple of years even if they're TLCs but everyone seems to like the samsung 850 evo.

The same MTP software exists for both Windows and Linux so I found it strange how it just didn't transfer as well as it does on Windows...

Remove Antergos.

You think you're very clever don't you? Probably funny too. How wrong we can be sometimes, eh?

Wouldn't a 900p screen just be an upscaled 720p?

Yes it would.
In the same way 4k is just upscaled 720p.
Higher resolution = more stuff on screen + looks better.

Can I play 720p chinese cartoons on my x200?

Does anyone have a custom BIOS for the T520 that unlocks RAM speeds and removes WiFi whitelist? I found some files on BIOSMods but they are password locked.

So I'm thinking about getting a refurb X220 with 16GB RAM. It's from a seemingly reputable website. ÂŁ275.
Should I bite the bullet or can I do better? Are there any issues with the X220 that I should know of?

275 quid is way overpriced for an X220 unless it comes with the mother of all configurations.
You should be able to find a standard configured one for half that with a little patience then do the upgrades yourself and still be way below 275.

True. Did see some on Amazon for like ÂŁ170 - ÂŁ200 with the standard 4GB. Any idea where I can get them any cheaper if possible?

I want a tablet series thinkpad (x200t - x230t) without a mousepad, a finger and pen touchscreen, and an i5 or i7 processor.

Currently I have a x200t with a L9400 processor, and I'd like to upgrade the display and the processor. Since the processor is soldered, I'd need a whole motherboard.

My questions:
Is it possible to buy a newer tablet model (x230t) and replace the keyboard bezel with a bezel without a mousepad (like the x200t one) ?

If not, can I replace the display of my x200t and the motherboard to hold an i5 or i7 processor?

Hi guys!
Can i install Windows + gentoo in mSata Drive?
(dual boot)

Greetings from Chile

Yeah probably.

Why wouldn't you be able to do that? mSATA is not some magical drive with special properties.
Also you are in the wrong thread. Neither mSATA, Gentoo or Windows are particularly related to business notebooks.

Okay so my budget is: 250 euros, I live in a 3rd world country so our prices a little higher than the US. I'm currently looking at these setups, anybody could tell me which one to go for and why.
First:Dell E6320 Intel i7-2640M, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM, 13", don't know resolution - 235 Euros.

Second:T430 i5, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, 1600x900 - 250 euros.

Third:Dell E6230 i5-3320M, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, 1366x768 - 200 euros.

Fourth: Hp Elitebook 8740p i5-3210M, 4gb ram, 128 ssd, 1600x900 - 235 euros.

Fifth: HP EliteBook 2570p
Intel Core i7-3520M 2.9Ghz
4GB RAM 256GB SSD
Intel HD 4000
12.5"1366x768
Higher Capacity Battery - 235 Euros

post x220t

I'll get the x220 which has an mSATA port.

Thats like $50 per computer, so yes.

As a 2570p user, it has an objectively shitty touchpad and a passable screen.
The build quality is really solid, you can see why it was sold at premium price. The chicklet keyboard feels nice, and the performance are top notch for the price it costs.
I'd give it an 8/10.

I'm thinking about the 2570p the most, as the 256gb SSD along with the i7 makes the biggest difference in price/performance ratio here imo.

Wena wn and yeah you can.

I think the X201 is a drop in, I think maybe some ports might be changed though... I forget.

For such an investment you are better off buying locally... Especially without any HDD.

The 2570p sounds most bang for the buck, T430 would be a good option if you wanted 14" display and a 900p panel, also those two laptops can have the processor upgraded. The i7 in the elitebook is worth $70 US alone so...

Look what I just got anons for $50, I made an offer and they took it. Feels good man

I still use a T400 which I bought new in 2009. With a hard drive the computer was getting a bit slow and annoying, but a 250gb SSD fixed that. Aside from the fact that it struggles with 1080p video that isn't a Chinese Cartoon, it is indeed very capable.

Yes, see above. Even 1080p should work if you have a decent enough processor.

Lucky bastard - I want that for my X220.
Only regular 9 cell battery at the moment... should be more than enough for most needs but I would like my black beauty to be THICC as well :(((((

I have a friend who is looking for a new laptop. He is willing to spend 1000eur+ but won't take a used laptop.

I'm about to recommend the T560. It has everything he's asking for. (he want's normie use, maybe playing CSGO, good linux support for work, and maybe that the laptop doesn't heat up like a bitch. He was about to buy an apple.

I checked the lenovo webpage and found T560 pretty compliant. What do you think?

Im seeing conflicting information on whether the esta port of the T420 is powered or not, can anyone confirm it is? I know it doesnt provide 12v for 3.5 drives but surely it has 5v for normal drives right?

I would go for the T460s over the T560.

Any thoughts on the thinkpad yoga with the digitizer? Can get an s1 for relatively cheap.

They're OK. Not great, but OK.

So I'm looking at x220 x230, x240,

The x230 cant be upgraded to IPS easily so thats out.
Do any of the others have backlit keyboards ?

T560 has a 3k display, and you're not stuck with the shitty 6200U processor.

What 15" mainstream business laptops even come with a full voltage processor nowadays?

>backlit keyboards
meme for babbies who can't touch type

even then you have the thinklight

Not many apparently.

Why would a normie care about either of those features?

Also consider x201

Need to buy a new battery for my T420, Is this okay?

amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Thinkpad-Serieslaptop-thinkpad-7800MAH-9CELL/dp/B00Y29I868/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474390723&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo t420 battery

Get an original one instead..

Torn between a fully upgraded T420 and a T530, both at around $300 and with i7s. Thoughts?

>amazon.co.uk/LENOVO-0A36303-ThinkPad-Battery-cell/dp/B0071TYVU8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474392037&sr=1-1&keywords=0A36303
>ÂŁ57
ouch

I'm poor, I can't.

Worth it.

You know that you always have to spend more money if you buy cheap stuff..

WHY IS THIS ALLOWED?!?!?!?!?!?!?

They can all get the cancer krijgen.

Godverdomme gewoon een prijsverschil van 300 klompgeld...

GODVERDOMME!

Is it theoretically possible to make aftermarket cooling mechanisms (or anything else) for the T420? Like, I can put in a fast as fuck fan and bigger cooling rods if I make em myself? I can't get over the fact that it's 2016 and no one is bothering to make good laptops with a large chassis and swappable parts.

Because the US prices don't have tax included.

$935.10 * 1.23(tax) = $1150,73
$1150,73 = 1029,70

The extra 100€ is fuckery though.

Is it possible to put the chink batteries from my 6 cell in my 3 cell?

Sure. Just be careful to properly explode yourself with the batteries.

well i get 80 fps at 640x480

Thanks user. I'm looking around for videos on how to replace them . I like my 3cell because it doesn't stick out like the ugly 6 cell but the 3 cell is old , thought I could just take some of the 6 cell and replace the batteries in the 3cell

En van dat verschil kan je godver in amerika nog een kanker goeie t420 met goeie specs voor halen niet eens de basis maar gewoon lekker

Not going into much detail here:
To successfully transfer cells from one battery to another, you need to keep a stable voltage applied at all times to the IC circuit associated with the cells. Then, you need to connect in PARALLEL the new batteries with the old, with the old connected to the IC (to provide with the voltage).
After that, you need to remove the old cells, leaving only the new cells attached to the IC circuit.

Problems:
You'll probably need a spot welder to connect the batteries, because soldering shit directly to cells make the go BOOM.
Shorting anything connected to the cells will also make them go BOOM.
Third, even by following this precautions, the IC might crap itself at any time doing the cell exchange, bricking itself, giving you a dead battery pack AND probably completely depleting the new/old/all cells, making them unable to hold charge.
The fourth problem is that if you connect better cells to the IC, compared with the old cells, the circuit will NEVER recognize the improved capacity. For example, the original battery was rated for 40mAh. Your new cells give a total of 50mAh. Sadly, you'll only be capable of charging the battery up to 40mAh. No amount of software tools will change that, because it's something embedded in the IC.

Have fun.

Oh and the individual cells have to be connected in SERIES between themselves.
Again, no directly soldering, or BOOM.

Would that be okay in my T420?

So it seems that the x200t motherboard can be easily replaced by the x201t mb.

Does anybody know if the screens are interchangeable? Then I could hunt for an used x201t with multitouch and use both the motherboard and the display.

>BRB

Is the i7 really worth the extra money over an i5 in a x220? They don't have hyperthreading like desktop i7s right?

Both i5's and i7's have hyperthreading.
The only thing the i7 has is a slightly better IPC and clock.

So i have this old T23 with 786MB RAM laying around.
Any tips on which OS would run smoothly on it?

Some tui os

Any way to identify an IPS panel
from a TN just from bios? Most sellers on eBay don't specify.

Look at it from the sides.
Tilt it back and forth.

How big of a difference is there performance wise between x220 and x230?

>CPU
Mostly the same in real life, gives slightly better battery time (15-30 mins between i5's).
>GPU
x230 is 1.5 to 2 times better on integrated graphics.

Impossible unless seen in person. Use a trusted seller and ask them is it labeled correctly and if so, how they know its IPS.
For example, a local CL seller posted an IPS model but when I asked him, he said he just copied and pasted from amazon.

Will 8GB be fine for the next 2 years?

Posting on my T420s ThinkPad as we speak. It's my first one, I absolutely love the shit out of it.

Question: would it be worth it to install Win7 on it? why?

What am I looking for exactly?

justfuckinggoogleit.com/

X230t always have ips right?

Where do you get rid of your old ThinkPads aside from eBay? I've been trying to ditch a T41 forever now

>Question: would it be worth it to install Win7 on it? why?
what the heck is on it now?

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

justfuckinggoogleit.com/

Selling locally, ebay, some smaller sites.

win10

If you're in Toronto I can get it off of you.

if you don't wish to switch to linux, anything is better than win10, so yes
otherwise, I strongly recommend switching.

Why? What advantage would I have with win7 over win10?

Stay, then
Win10 is much better and you will have access to newer features. It does not require a more powerful system than Win7 and in many ways is more efficient with your resources

T420 owner here.. It's about time I buy a new laptop.

Are ThinkPads still the best? The new chicklet keyboard looks pretty gay. Might as well go with Dell XPS 13? Is my logic wrong?

What are you going to use it for?

Nothing crazy at all. Plan on building a PC now too.

Dude I just got the T420

I don't know why anybody would ever want anything different, ever

I hear you can get a T430 and replace the palmrest and keyboard with the superior T420 keyboard (with some keyboard scancode issues).

I got it in 2011 and used it all through college, it's pretty banged up. Spilled water on it n shit. keyboard and mouse are pretty fucky.

>It does not require a more powerful system than Win7

It actually does. I have a Core2Duo that runs Win7 fine but Win10 maxes out the cpu at idle.

no botnet (at least easier to disable), less bloat, few cases of performance issues
it's a matter of preference, honestly.

X230's sound pretty good for you I think?

>I have a Core2Duo that runs Win7 fine but Win10 maxes out the cpu at idle.

>I have a broken computer or OS installation
FTFY

So i took the plunge and got a Thinkpad Edge E560 with the i5 6200 and a 256gb SSD. Also got a T460 but i needed a laptop with a bit more capabilities. Other brands like ASUS/HP just didn't cut it for me at this price range. Build quality definately isn't like the older models though but I'm satisfied.

Thinking about upgrading it with an extra 8GB RAM module and a HDD, any recommendation on brands?

>x230 cant be upgraded to IPS easily
What? It comes with IPS as a stock option you nigger

The new Lenovo keyboard is a lot better than the XPS 13's IMO

They're chiclet but at least they curve in

There are fuck all examples with IPS here so my point is valid

What is "here"?

yes

Probably 90% of X220's and X230's out there have the IPS panel.

What should i install on my x220?
Is mint really bad?
Is debian good/bad?

mint is crap, debian is less crap, arch masterrace

Absolutely not true.
We'll never know exactly without sales figure but since most used models are ex-corporate, the basic TN was standard

I will need a more portable notebook for this semester than my 15.6 asus. I can get a t420 with a new 9 cell battery, 8gb ram and 1600x900 screen for 280 euros or an x220 with 4gb ram (seller says battery lasts 4 hours) for 270 euros.

I need the portability, but that T420 seems like the better option. Is the 420 really heavy? Should I get the x220 instead?

Are you new to Linux? If so, Antergos/Manjaro for Arch benefits, or straight up some Ubuntu flavor if you really can't handle anything.
Mint isn't exactly bad, but it has some serious flaws currently.
Debian is alright.

I dunno m8. I've looked at a lot of local listings and most of them were all IPS. If you really can't find them then you're just shitty at looking.

not newbie with linux but not a pro either
tried them all a bit and arch seems to need much stuff to configure, too much (instead of working i would have to configure everything)
mint was easy out of the box, everything works, debian seems fine, but lots of people in Cred Forums bash all these distros

What does /tpg/ think of the Dell Latitude E7440?

There isn't really any specific "Best for ThinkPad" distro, just go with what you want and what you like. If you're a total beginner try Mint, or Ubuntu GNOME even.

HELP ME TPG!!!!

The left-hand side of my spacebar won't register keypress, everywhere else on the spacebar is fine though. How can I fix this? It's rage inducing to have to keep moving my thumb over when I have to use spaces!

I've only had a ThinkPad (T420) since the 3rd, but lurked for a long while before.

Thanks for being the nicest, highest quality and most chill thread on this shit board lads. I love ya

/blog

>pls respond

Hey dutch people,

T430 with docking station and i7 3520m for just 175 euros
Even windows 7 pro
Best deal go for it

marktplaats.nl/m1089781489

Do you guys know where to get keyboard keys for the T420? Is it something simple to do?

I want to switch Ctrl and Fn keys to match my BIOS config. They are different sizes though. It would also be neat to replace the windows key with something customizable.

I finally got a T430 to replace my ten year old desktop that was just barely running debian w/ some window manager that I'm too apathetic to even know the name of since I haven't done anything on that computer outside of the browser for years. I'm installing Arch tonight, wish me luck hot boys.

>Do you guys know where to get keyboard keys for the T420? Is it something simple to do?
You can buy just the keyboard on ebay for $5-10 and tear off the keycaps.

If you're just looking to relabel your keys, use a labelmaker.

If you want custom, 3d print caps at a vendor like everyone else.

Fuck you.
No blogposting here, you cunt.

Fresh Arch installs are very cozy. Have fun.

My thread got deleted for some reason so reposing here.

>starting new job at round C tech startup
>told me I can have any laptop I want for development
>said everyone uses Macbook Pros or Airs
>I use Arch, don't really want a mac

Should I get a P50? T460? X1 Carbon? So many options...

;__; no bulli
(I'll stop now)

Thank you user. It's overcast out, so it's the best possible weather for watching something comfy and watching the instillation text scroll by.

X1 Carbon cause that way the people around you can at least get out of their bubble and look at a thinkpad with less bias.

Since you are not budgeting, desktop replacement or portable?

/tpg/, I've been wondering about something.

Once the xx20 and xx30 generation Thinkpads become too old to be useful in day-to-day operations, would it eventually just be better to buy standard consumer grade notebooks?

Even if they only last 3 or 4 years, is that any different from your current Thinkpad upgrade cycle, where you might buy a T400 in 2012, and then move on to a T420 in 2016?

You have three options (four):

>you need raw power and don't care for size and weight since it will be sitting at the desk most of the time
P50.

>you need a lightweight or small computer because you move a lot
X260 for mobility and size.
X1 Carbon for lightweightness and the lowest specced computer

>you need a well rounded machine that can do nearly everything
T460p. Less power compared with the P50, but much more wieldy.

Think about
xps 15
Thinkpad yoga 260

My x230 has lasted 2 years in the hands of someone. It lasted one year and counting with me. It will last another 3 years easily unless a retarded technological advance appears out of nowhere.
When it's spent, I'll buy another laptop to last me another six years at least.

I have a gaming rig already, this will be mostly for Android development at work and shitposting at home, will travel with me but I'm not afraid of laptops that are 'big and heavy' by today's standards. The position I'm doing is a FOSS evangelism position, so sometimes I'll have to go to conferences and talk about the FOSS android shit I write, ThinkPads get bronie points there.

I love my X230 but need more screen i my next laptop. Also, there's a chance it will never leave a dock at work and I'll keep using my X230 at home...

Thanks

And USB 3.0 in the X220. Not worth it unless you need frequent USB 3.0 speeds (expresscard adapter works but drains power even when not in use and also creates lots of heat).

If you're looking for portability it would be daft to move from a 15.6" laptop to a 14.1" one. Frankly you may as well just keep carrying around the 15.6", or get the X220.

Personally, I have a W520 which sits on my desk pretty much 95% of the time, and whenever I need to go somewhere I'll take my X201. The W520 only really moves when I go to visit family or if I plan to be at my girlfriend's house for more than a day or two.

Quick /tpg/, the leases on my office's shitty Dell Latitudes are expiring, and they're planning to deploy new Thinkpads by early 2017. Should I get:

>X260
>T460
>T560

And they're also giving us free travel cases. Is the Thinkpad backpack worth getting for autism points, or should I just stick to the carry-bag?

I need to make a decision by tomorrow morning.

>expresscard adapter works but drains power even when not in use and also creates lots of heat
That's true only for shit chinese express card adapters. They lack a power management circuitry, so the USB chip is always running at full speed. Also, the USB chips used are shit.

>shit chinese express card adapters
Is there really any other kind, though?

I have one of those that fit snuggly inside the expresscard slot (34mm variant) that has a USB3.0 intel chip and power management, and it goes into power saving mode when it's not being used. It also doesn't heat much.

I also have one "AKE" or something chinese shit that heats a lot.

I can't seem to find the first one on ebay right now, but I bought it two years ago or so for 15€.
The AKE cost 5€.

I have a new $2,000 Thinkpad P70 with an issue.

The trackpad buttons double click with every press unless the pointer is moved.

The first click is a single click. Every click after that is a double click regardless of time between presses.

I can solve the issue by leaving my finger on the touchpad. Then the clicks will register as single clicks.

What's wrong?

Sounds like a driver issue to me

Speaking of drivers, are the trackpoint buttons driver for windows10 working or not for the x230?
Last time I tried them, they didn't let me configure the middle button correctly, so I'm using the generic PS/2 drivers.

think i can play an mmo in a virtual machine of windows 10 on a thinkpad?

What's the difference between the old keyboards and the new chiclet ones? Aren't the old ones rubber domes anyway? Is it just the key travel distance?

How would one go about easily finding an IPS on something like eBay?

>Once the xx20 and xx30 generation Thinkpads become too old to be useful in day-to-day operations
that's like 10 years from now minimum

I have an X230 but I use Arch, so idk

I dual boot because my work requires that I do. Win10 is also surprisingly good with battery life.

or never, really. Menial tasks like word processing don't need anything quicker.
4K video is just fucking stupid, the internet infrastructure isn't set up to do Full HD still, let alone double that resolution.

I hope that with Moore's Law dead we have a software revolution where we purge all the highly complicated and inefficient programs and use simpler, less harmful programs to get the most out of the cliff edge of silicon performance, as well as increased battery life, which will be important as silicon won't shrink further

Is the t420 TN only or are there some with IPS?

>T460p. Less power compared with the P50, but much more wieldy.
Way hotter and way shitter battery tho

It all depends on how often you're moving it around.

If it's gonna live at your desk, T560
If you're gonna have it around on your lap in places, T460
If you need to take it frigging everywhere, X260

tn
ips mod is ded

They work fine for me.

By configure middle button, do you mean making it able to do a middle click rather than just scroll?

Just google TPMiddle.exe and throw it in your startup folder to take care of that

>think i can play an mmo in a virtual machine
No.

What happened to the IPS mod?

>Once the xx20 and xx30 generation Thinkpads become too old to be useful in day-to-day operations
Not gonna happen senpai.

Thinkpads switched to ULV cpus since the xx40 series and up, so the xx30 series literally has better CPUs than most of the thinkpads that came after, and even beats the latest gen in some benches

The guy making them got fucked over by bad experiences with shipping companies and shady chinese businessmen. So, he's given up making batches. It also has a flaw where it flickers on non-s models of Thinkpad.

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=118070

Soon to cop T420 for $50. I really wanted an x220 but this is cheaper. Wish me luck

You can still get it on 51nb

ThinkWiki, anything that shipped with them is compatible, otherwise any wifi cad with the same number of antennas as your current card will work if you have flashed a BIOS without the whitelist

Thanks!

Why are the W700 dual screens so hard to find? Did they just not sell when new so now they are impossible to find?

It was like 6k almost nobodt had it I guess.
I know a place that sells one

if youre still online user, could you pull it out and give a model number?

can anyone recommend a low-power usb 3.0 expresscard device that won't kill my battery?

Doesn't the T460p still use a full-voltage CPU?

Update on this. That shit was definitely stolen and I'm not going to Inglewood to pick it up and get mugged. Would've been a good deal though.

Is a Latitude E4310 worth it? Don't know anything about Dell laptops i only own thinkpads.

Someone offered me an E4310 that he's selling in exchange for my phone which i'm selling at around the same price.

Funny enough, one of my roommates in university had one. From what I could tell, the E4310 is generally a good computer, but it is quite old now. It's basically the equivalent of xx10 series Thinkpads, although it's 13.3", which is a screen size that doesn't exist in the Thinkpad line-up, so if you want something between the X series and the T series I guess it would be your go-to.

The only problem with it is that port selection is kind of limited, but then it isn't exactly super thin or compact to compensate for this. Also, the optical drive module cannot be used to connect a second hard drive from what I recall.

There's no way the rightful owner of an X220 would sell it off for $50. That's like X60 territory. You were an idiot for believing in that shit in the first place.

Found an X131e on craigslist for $90, but I didn't see that model anywhere in the buyer's guides. Is it just that bad, or does that model not exist, or what?

Just a shit model. The buyers guide only lists the high end thinkpads of each generation.

If it's the version with an i3-3227u, then it would be worth it. If it's an AMD CPU, I wouldn't buy it.

If you had the chance to snag a TransNote that doesn't POST, would you do it?

Personally, Lubuntu or Slax are my favorite distros.

No.

8gig of ram is not necessary on a x200 right?

it was a woman with crazy long fingernails posting photos of the laptop and I thought she was either oblivious or selling off her ex's crap. But nope just stolen ghetto shit. Sketchy dude told me he "got it in a trade" when I asked for more info.

why not

ram is cheap, make a ramdisk or something?

>having under 512GiB of ram

This.

You'll be feeling the age of the X201 in a couple of years. You'll be fine with an X220 for considerably longer.

holy shit i need one

why are the /tpg/ threads always dead at like 2am this is when I'm on Cred Forums the most

HOLY SHIT I FOUND ONE
it's expensive as fuck, especially for a core2duo but y'know
ebay.com/itm/Thinkpad-w700ds-dual-screen-laptop-2x600gb-ssd-8gb-3-06ghz-dualcore-with-wacom-/182260872129?hash=item2a6f9833c1:g:VucAAOSwqfNXmLDf

Does Arch works nice on Thinkpads?
Im willing to try it on mine

Got a budget of about 500€. Looking for a laptop for college and occasional gaming (LoL, CSGO, ideally Overwatch). I don't really care about graphics quality though. Would a T420 or x220 be sufficient for this usage?

Dont know about T420
I have a X220 and is perfect for college, web browsing and media, but wouldnt recommend it for games others than bsd-games due to heating

Heating? Why?

My thinkpad x201 is kill and I don't know how to fix it.

However my lab allows me to choose a laptop "for my research" from next spring semester. I am not decided on whether I take a thinkpad x1 or a x260.
Which one would be the most convenient? They are about the same weight but the x1 have a larger screen, though the x260 have more i/o slots.

I suppose that these two laptops are equivalently convenient as for Linux support (though I have seen more x1 in conferences and meetups ).

I can also go for a T series but I intend to commute with it everyday (by bicycle) so I guess a X series fits better.

Also a graphic card would be nice since I would be able to do image processing calculations on my laptop instead of the lab workstation.

Whenever I put my t420 in my lap, it vibrates slightly. Is this normal?

Small, plastic and intel graphics

Anyone uses x220/x230 tablets for drawing?

>Does Arch work
no

Daily reminder that lenovo a shit

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/53ri0m/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/

What's the best linux distro for battery longevity during browsing / coding?

I run an X220 if that matters.
I have a 9-cell but it lasts about 5 hours on Fedora watching a youtube video.
I should probably replace the battery at some point.

Why would I care? I use a thinkpad because it is popular among Linux devs / literate people hence benefit from a great support (best for laptops) when I ask for help for hardware issue on the internet.

The x260 can have a better autonomy if you take the 9cell battery.

Arch with links and emacs.

X260 is pretty good. Small, fairly light and solid build.
I got over 4h of web browsing over wifi with 3+3 cells.

With what OS?
How's the touchpad? I don't like the "apple like" stuff that clicks and I am worrying about it should I purchase it.

Cred Forums, I need a cheap notebook (around 14 inch) for university, i.e. to type while in the library. Can I get something decent and mobile for ~200€? Please, it is urgent and I cannot find any guides.

No because the hd3000 doesn't run csgo at playable framerates. Maybe the T420 with dGPU would but dunno.

You can use an eGPU setup with those laptops and run everything though.

all the wageslaves are asleep.

Arch.
Touchpad is good, multitouch is convenient. The pad is harder to click towards the top, but it doesn't require much force (more than the usual button though). You can use it with one hand.

Does it still crashes when you close the lid?

I use my x220t for drawing. Its great , though I reccomend the x201t instead for that 16:10 screen

You can get a t420 for 250-300 euros, check your local craigslist equivalent

It seems to be fixed with the new kernel.

I want to enjoy a lenovo but the shenanigans of the company (superfish, the "preventing the user from installing Linux" thing) make me wonder if this is a good idea.

I also consider the dell xps 13 but the screen context brightness you can't disable seems to be a pain in the ass.

x201 with 9 cell has good battery life but those batteries are quite expensive on their own

Bought a Elitebook 2570p
got it for 120$
temps go over 188f / 87c while running VM, is this cool? well it's not cool but is it acceptable?

P50 or P70 with a Xeon.

Only if I could line up a replacement motherboard first.

also how do i log temps with lm-sensors?

Toasty.
What are you doing on that VM?

im thinking to get X220 but have few questions

1-what does power cable looks like ? is it like gaymen laptop one which is brick with big cable or small ass phone cable like

2-is it really 1.3kg? i wanna know from daily traveller people. I live in university dorm 3-4 days of week rest 3 day in home so its very important it is not heavy. i used one of ASUS ultrabooks which was 10(or 11)inch with phone battery. Though intel celeron was shit and couldnt replace 4gb ram and 500gb hdd.

3-is it get hot? i use some acer laptop from 6 -7 years ago with i3/3gbram gets job done but boy its very heaty. and get closed when watching 720p videos in my legs or on any silk thing.

4-is screen size enough for only computer to use like 2 years? i wont have any computer more i mean besides i will leave this 15.'6 heat machine at home but i will always use thinkpad if i buy one. I watch movies on my laptop so wondering if its any good?

Looks like a typical laptop power supply.
I own an X220. It is not heavy.
It gets hot when gaming or watching HD media, as most laptops will.
It's enough for me, I can't say if it'll be enough for you.

1 - The cable is just normal laptop cable with a small brick, the connection is a bit more chunky but that is it.

2 - Hmm i don't really know i think it feels a lot lighter but i came from a 15'6 inch 2.3KG as my daily carry

3 - A little but nothing crazy i would recommend putting new thermal paste on the cpu

4 - Its a bit small but it is fine for viewing Chinese cartoons and films.

Running Kali linux, maybe i should just go dual boot but i dont need kali that much tho...

Thanks for both answers.

then buying 2 bricks rather then carrying home to dorm room would be better idea i assume.

15'6 are mostly filled with gaymer tier gpus that gets hot and heavy ..

i will use for programming/chrome browsing and heavy media usage like porn/movies/animu

That's essentially what I use mine for. Pop in an SSD or two, max out the RAM, and swap in an IPS panel; you won't regret it.

X220?

it is 12.5

The brick is small, but it is the typical cable-brick-cable setup.
When you pack it up, the cable fills about as much as the brick, maybe a bit more.
I think the 1.3 kg is about right.
It is not hot.
My fan does not turn on unless I am running 100% cpu usage for a few seconds.
Unless I do that, I don't hear anything and it is not hot.
The screen size is fine, but you can connect external displays if you want more space.

Watching movies on the laptop is pretty bad though.
The speakers are not worth listening to.
I prefer connecting external speakers or use headphones when I have to watch something.
For movies, I prefer a good chair and a large screen.

Yeah

an SSD is a great idea you can get some very cheap 128/256GB models now

i think i've seen 250GB for 50-60 bucks

i tried use my x220 with 4GB ram but that was a no go if you're running windows

so bought another 4GB and all is fine now.

16GB is even nicer. I can run 5 VMs at once.

T420

Yeah i like big screens too but since i live in stupid dorm room most of week i have to lock everything to doors , so any external device is off for me.

I usually go theater for new movies though.

I'm really happy I bought into this meme guys. Bought a grade A t420 that came with dead keys. So I bought a new ("ORIGINAL") replacement keyboard off ebay. This keyboard feels mushy and nowhere near as tactile as the original. Fucking great.

FreeBSD

Return it and get another keyboard. It's not like they're expensive.

12,5 inches would be okay too. I cannot find either model here in Europe too, or can you suggest any good retailers apart from Amazon? Would be willing to go up in the price a bit too, but it needs to be lightweight and portable.

I need a laptop for school. I want it to be small so that i can carry it around all the time. I have narrowed down my choices to:
an x230 (i know about the keyboard) with a 180gb ssd , 8gb ram and i5-3320M for 270€
an x220 with 128gb ssd , 4gb ram and i7-2640M for 230€
an hp elitebook 2760p (tablet pc) with 128gb ssd , 4gb ram and i5-2540M 200€
The shop has other choices but these are what seem good at this moment. I don't know yet if the touch is going to be useful but I feel like i would use it to take notes.

Any opinions?

Is it smart to put linux on a thinkpad x2x0t or just avoid the tablets for linux use?

eBay, just read seller reviews before purchasing.

Any of those seem like a fine choice. Buy the one you like the looks of the most. The X230 will have ever so slightly better graphics performance.

Currently still using a T420 for my day-to-day. It's a lower tier model, with a 1366x768 screen, no Bluetooth, and a 6-cell battery pack that's about 50% capacity.

We just bought a T420 and a 9cell battery pack for a project at school. It was kind of a blind bid but the battery ended up being brand new 2016 made, and the T420 had a 1600x900 screen and Bluetooth. All for like $300.

I really like it. And want to upgrade my laptop, but I can't justify $300 on a slight upgrade. Is there a modern laptop that rivals the T420 in durability, Linux support, etc, but has a little more oomph for MATLAB/Simulink and can run some lower requirement games like MC, battleblock, maybe Rocket League on low settings.

Works fine.

>"lenovo a shit"
>links to reddit

You must be a special kind of Pajeet, right?

>Is it smart to put linux
no

For the X220, can you actually click just by pressing on the touchpad, or do you have to use the buttons? Since it is so old.

Either.

Thank you. But would you actually recommend the X220 over newer stuff like the 14 inch Lenovo Ideapad 100 or the HP 14-am?

You dont like linux?

How much RAM can i put on a T400?

8GB

I replaced a T42-s 1.7GHz 100MHz FSB Dothan and cooler assembly with a 1.86GHz 133MHz FSB Dothan from a broken T43.
However the new CPU is stuck at 600MHz. Is it a BIOS problem?

Are any of the top shelf Thinkpads currently for sale direct from Lenovo free of their malware and not-shitty?

Work are offering me a high end laptop, don't know what to get.

Same situation here. Probably going with a P50 and I'll just wipe it when I get it.

Ordered my first memepad today

>T420
>8gb RAM
>1600*900
>new battery

I'm so excited

Just do a clean install and it wont be a problem.
You should with any laptop anyway.

whats the thinkpad with best specs and non chiclet keyboard?

Get an SSD immediately
Like before the dankpad shows up

T430 with T420 keyboard

>having to change the keyboard and this complex shit
no thanks

>defending microsoft and lenovo fuckery
the only pajeet here is you

I have a T540p and I'd like to put SSD in it, but not in place of HDD in the SATA, but in the empty mini PCIe slot near the wireless. Now I remember when my friend bought an SSD for his T430s, it also had a mini PCIe slot, but it was like mSATA. Do I have to buy mSATA SSD too or is it any different ?
I looked into it half a year ago and I remember that it was something different from mSATA, but didn't buy SSD then so I completely forgot

>changing keyboard is hard

nvm, I found out it's m.2, but also saw something about it not being able to be used as a boot drive, only as cache, what the fuck

sorry mister fucking tech
im also scared of breaking something, im retarded and my hands are big

is that really that necessary? it has to wait till the next paycheck.

>europoor
and
>student

>they just went full retards
They do know maybe a third of their business user base uses linux on a daily basis, right?

>remove two screws on the bottom
>slide keyboard out
>remove ribbon cable
>plug new keyboard in
>slide in to chassis
>put two screws back in
>kill yourself

So just order it with Win7, which you can still do.

where should I look for replacement parts like a touchpad and a keyboard that won't cost me like 40% of the computer
My keyboard is in I think Danish layout and without backlight(the layout is the bigger problem, but if I'd spend money on replacement, might as well get it with backlight) and the touchpad is actually a clickpad, but it can be changed into a normal touchpad

I always get parts on eBay

If anyone has had a similar problem or knows what and how, is there a way to use the SSD as bootable drive ?

Buy a MacBook you fucking pansy bitch

Mercadolibre, aliexpress, ebay.

Depends where you live.

>wanted a P50
>my CTO heavily implied that I should have a MBP
>gave in and req'd the mac
hold me /tpg/

It is necessary for maximum enjoyment

Why not talk with them that you would work better with a P50?

I probably wouldn't, since if I ever run into a workflow problem there will be the entire office there to help fix it, where as if I have a problem with linux or my dev environment on the P50 I'll be on my own and they'll tell me to fix it and get back to work.

I'm just a junior dev, not a wizard.

How come i'm not seeing any battery gains when using tlp?

Did you configure it?

I'm a junior webdev, everybody uses Windows. Of course there is that one frontend dipshit who "needs" a mac. Everybody hates him. Fuckin hipsters man

I'm a front end web dev, I usually use Arch, but this new position is mobile dev and literally everyone in this office uses mac

I wish everyone used linux like my old shop
why aren't they compiling from source
my feet hurt

This is my config anyway, if you want a template or whatever. It's for a X230 with an mSATA SSD (sdb) and a HDD (sda).

TLP_ENABLE=1
TLP_DEFAULT_MODE=AC
DISK_IDLE_SECS_ON_AC=0
DISK_IDLE_SECS_ON_BAT=2
MAX_LOST_WORK_SECS_ON_AC=15
MAX_LOST_WORK_SECS_ON_BAT=60
CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_AC=performance
CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_BAT=powersave
CPU_MIN_PERF_ON_AC=0
CPU_MAX_PERF_ON_AC=100
CPU_MIN_PERF_ON_BAT=0
CPU_MAX_PERF_ON_BAT=100
CPU_BOOST_ON_AC=1
CPU_BOOST_ON_BAT=0
SCHED_POWERSAVE_ON_AC=0
SCHED_POWERSAVE_ON_BAT=1
NMI_WATCHDOG=0
ENERGY_PERF_POLICY_ON_AC=performance
ENERGY_PERF_POLICY_ON_BAT=powersave
DISK_DEVICES="sda sdb"
DISK_APM_LEVEL_ON_AC="254 254"
DISK_APM_LEVEL_ON_BAT="128 128"
SATA_LINKPWR_ON_AC=max_performance
SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=min_power
AHCI_RUNTIME_PM_TIMEOUT=15
PCIE_ASPM_ON_AC=performance
PCIE_ASPM_ON_BAT=powersave
WIFI_PWR_ON_AC=off
WIFI_PWR_ON_BAT=on
WOL_DISABLE=Y
SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_AC=0
SOUND_POWER_SAVE_ON_BAT=1
SOUND_POWER_SAVE_CONTROLLER=Y
BAY_POWEROFF_ON_BAT=0
BAY_DEVICE="sr0"
RUNTIME_PM_ON_AC=on
RUNTIME_PM_ON_BAT=auto
RUNTIME_PM_ALL=1
USB_AUTOSUSPEND=1
USB_BLACKLIST_WWAN=1
RESTORE_DEVICE_STATE_ON_STARTUP=0
START_CHARGE_THRESH_BAT0=85
STOP_CHARGE_THRESH_BAT0=90

4 gb of RAM is enough but 8 gb will really help you if you use a lot of tabs or multitask heavily or worse do both

Just swap your T420 for your school's project T420

do I need to worry about my distro's power governor settings?

Yes, disable it, or it will override tlp.

Thinking of sending my TP keyboard over to these guys (aceengraving.co.uk/keycap-engraving/) for the Cyrillic engraving. Anyone tried anything like this before?

how would I doo that on openSUSE

Where can I get a new battery for my x201?

Bought a T430 to replace my old Pavilion G6 that I accidentally snapped in two. Tried installing Trisquel only to find that it didn't like the wireless adapter. Trisquel worked fine with my old laptop, so I salvaged that adapter before I chucked it.

How do I know if it'll fit, and is there a guide anywhere for replacing the adapter?

I think from the T420 series on there was a wireless adapter blacklist you might have to hack your uefi/bios

If I was going to flash libreboot anyway (was going to leave it for a bit but might as well kill two birds with one stone whilst I'm in there) would that be an issue?

I don't know, never used it.

libreboot doesn't support the T430

If i wanted to upgrade to a 1600*900 screen on my T430, would laptopscreen.com/English/model/IBM-Lenovo/FRU 93P5685/ be a reputable place to get one? (I live in Canada)

if the screen is the same as the one on the T420 its pure garbage.

New thread: