I7 870

>I7 870
>Gigabyte Motherboard
>12GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Got this for 80 AUD.
Did I do good?

No

Just kidding you did well son I love you please marry me and do the gay things with me

Yes you did very good, now clean the shit properly make good use of it. OC that CPU and enjoy quality.

For realsies.

I know it's powerful enough for what I need, I'm just curious if I got scammed.

The guy said he had it running at 4.0ghz but it could go up to 4.3 with a better cooler.

Seems like I should be able to get solid performance out of it I think.

>got something that could easily be sold for 3 times the price
>asked if got scammed
Yeah, nah.

Wouldn't recommend trying to go 4.3GHz on it, but 4GHz sounds solid enough, get a decent cooler and put it in a case with good airflow and you're good to go.

Techyescity???

Who?

Well I was just going to see how high I could push it. I've got a Seidon 120v plus that I'm going to pair it with.

Had no idea it was worth that much. Sweet.

Who?

How do you apply thermal paste?

A small cross at the center.

I had that exact thought, kek.

swastika

I have an i5 760 in my second PC, and that shit gets hot, even with a big rad on it. Can't imagine how hot the 870 will get.

>I7 870
>GTX680 4GB

Oh man, if this was 2012 this PC would have been THE SHIT.

Well the processor alone is selling on ebay for about 100 american, so guess you did.
its got a relatively low clock speed though, only about half of the current i7.

What exactly are you planing on doing with this?

Gaming.

I got a gtx 680 4GB and r9 280x 3gb too.

The 280x has broken fans though so I'm using the 680.

Got the 680 for 80 aud cause some faggot spilt liquid all over it, but it still works so w/e.

It's a pretty good deal for that price but otherwise a pretty dumb purhase. The processor is really old right now, you'll have to upgrade it in a year or two if you want to run anything demanding. Which means you'll have to throw away the memory and motherboard too, they're not compatible.

You would have probably saved more money in the long run by investing into a proper 1151 processor and DDR4 memory. But I guess that's the price for being a poorfag.

Also your new processor will run hot and consume much more electricity than a entry-tier i3.

An i3 6100 + mobo + 8gb ram would be like 300 dollars in aus you fucking idiot. Op got a great deal,m and his pc should perform better than the i3.

2012 was sandy bridge time

That's like saying an i7 4770k is a bad cpu in 2016...

You could have done worse, you could have spent actual money

Great catch, OP

I snagged up a 2600k/GTX 480 machine for $150 a few months back from a remote town. 3 hours drive there and 3 hours drive back but it was well worth it considering prices here in Aus.

Ya dun gud. In U$D, that set would run you about $150 minimum and be a good deal; if you didn't shop around and get a little lucky, you'd be $200 or more. It'd be tough to find that under $150 in real money; getting it for $70 in emu dollars is nearly larceny.

> Gaming

So long as you don't have unrealistic expectations. The type of gaming and the resolution you want to run will play a big part in your satisfaction levels.

For 1080 gaming at 60 Hz, you'll be able to run most games from before 2016 with most of the features cranked near maximum ... especially if you get that CPU up around 4/4.1 GHz and if you can get a better GPU.

With the setup as you've described, you'll probably have to turn some of the settings down, but still be running at levels with high satisfaction. Learn to research and tweak your games for best compromises.

As a daily driver, that rig will take care of most any need you can list, apart from semi-pro video &/or 3D rendering.

Use s decent SSD for your OS install and you most intensive software, and a large capacity HDD for storage and less demanding software. You have plenty of memory, and you may be able to overclock it up to 1600 MHz and drop the timings a bit; won't mean much by itself, but it's a tweak that can help in conjunction with others. With a good cooler, if you can run the CPU stable at 4.3/4.3 GHz, consider doing that and see if it offers material advantage over 4 GHz with what you use the system for.

I have an i7 920 + GTX 1060, running stock clock is a huge bottleneck for gamen, so if you can overclock it you should

3 hours drive is a lot of petrol mate, but for a 2600k system it would have been well worth it.

I'm not expecting anything fantastic, but my monitor is 1600p, not 1080p. I'll be happy with 60 fps medium /high settings. Might upgrade to an rx 470 later on if it's worth it. From what I can understand, dx12 and vulkan reduce CPU bottlenecks by shifting more load across the gpu and scaling cpu load across more cores so it should be right.

Also the guy I bought it from said the ram was stable at around 1450mhz with his config. I might try pushing it past 1600mhz if I have the time and patience later on

Not sure if I should keep the 280x or the 680 4gb.

Why would you run it at stock clocks?

Forgot picture.

2560x1600 30 inch IPS monitor I got for free.

Good is an understatement.