Hi user, I am literally addicted to defragging my hard drives 7/24 and I love the charts and graphs of it...

hi user, I am literally addicted to defragging my hard drives 7/24 and I love the charts and graphs of it. please redpill me about defrag and how useless it is on both ssds and hdds by referencing benchmarks

do your own homework asignment

Try counting cards fresh out of the deck and then try counting them after they're shuffled. Report back what you find OP

What's defragmentation?

Interested

it's something from the 90s

for ssds it´s useless because it causes unnecessary writes
and since there´s no physical movement to get to a data fragment

for hdds you have one or multiple plattern
all of them are split into blocks
and to get data the readhead has to go to a block and read it
so if you have your favorite FatBearFucksHotTwink.mp4 and it´s 100MB
and your drife is so fragmented that
the video is split into 100 parts
thrown onto different parts of the plattern
that means to watch it you´d have to go to every single block and read a part
then to another block on the other side of the plattern
till you finished reading it out
which can take quite some time

if you had it defragmented it would be written on the same plattern block after block so that there is no need to search all over for the data

now have fun faggot

Just use the Windows built in defragger.

It won't bother defragging any chunks bigger then 64MB

WD Black 4TB = 16ms seek time, 127MB/s average read speed.

Reading a 1GB file = 8.06s if perfectly defragmented and 8.316s absolute worst case fragmented.

So cool your autism.

imagine it like this you have a dildo collection
and you regularly make use of them
now back when you didn´t have space in your mums basement you had to put them all around the room and some even in other rooms
and if you want to use them you have to run around find them and then you can use them

now if you were to defragment you would go
take them all and put them in the same place
like your closet
and thus if you want to use them you don´t have to run around because they are in the same place

what defragmentation software would you recommend?
i´d like something with a pretty visualization
is

>microsoft
>windows
>ntfs
>having fragmented data
>not having important stuff on SSDs
>being addicted to a placebo effect

I defrag my SSD every 6 months or so to refresh it.

It's a Samsung 840 and it has the same slowing down problem as the pro models that they released a firmware update for, but they never acknowledged a problem on my model.

what mBps does it slow down to? I am using a 500 mBps drive on sata 2 which caps at 250 mBps so I dont feel anything if it slows down

I defrag all of my samsung SSDs every 2 weeks... This reduces my Windows 10 boot times by at least 0.5 seconds!

can anyone explain to me why people say fragmentation is a ntfs problem?

how would the other filesystems deal with it after all the reason for fragmentation should be a thing for them too?

I know what defragmenting does and how it works. But you explain things in a way only a rocket scientist would understand.
I was legit confused at how you explained it.

do us all a favor and LEAVE the tech board if you don't know what filesystem fragmentation is

It's useless on SSD. They do full random access at ridiculous speeds anyhow; there is basically no point in lining up everything sequentially for reading.

It's not quite useless on HDD, but it's pointless *enough* to do it frequently on many of the superior Linux filesystems. If you don't operate them on a near full state, fragmentation mostly will be fairly trivial and defragmenting once every 6 months or so is sufficient.

It got stupidly low at one point, but only for certain sectors. It's a strange problem. Rewriting the data fixes it.

>I know what defragmenting does
How fucking difficult can it be to understand?
How's that autism going for you?

>can anyone explain to me why people say fragmentation is a ntfs problem?
It's a bigger problem on NTFS because it doesn't use all the tricks Linux filesystems use to avoid fragmentation when they write files.

But yea, it's a (lesser) thing for Linux filesystems, too.

If you really understood what defragmentation does then you wouldn´t be posting this retarded thread

Underage b&

lol dumbass you kill harddrive quickly.

>implying I'm OP
Get your head out of your ass.
Even OP knows what defragmenting is and what it does. He only wanted to know whether it will give him a noticeable boost in performance

Basically, just move your data to a Linux device (xfs, btrfs, zfs, ext4 ...) or BSD (zfs).

You escape most data fragmentation, keep your online defragmentations unintrusive, and can keep your data off the Windows 10 botnet.

Sure, your pic seems like it has a fancy representation.

>sdd defrag
ky

You will fuck up your own hard drive by constantly have it transfer data from one place to another.

>defragging SSDs
I bet you use quick boot too

>being too lazy for important SSD defrags
enjoy your slow computers, losers