Hello g/uys

Hello g/uys.
I want to ask you something. I use archlinux as my main operating system on my hdd. But due to my work i have to install windows. I am planning to buy a ssd and install windows on it. I mean, dual booting at separate drives.
Does any of you have any experience about this kind of dual booting? Have you faced any problem?
Could you share your opinions please?
>ı don't want to uninstall arch
>i don't want to install windows to same linux installed hdd. i've read couple of problems about it. If you try to install windows after installing linux there will be some booting problems.

That's no problem at all, the installer will ask where to install. But maybe you want to unplug the arch one... It would be a shame if something happened to your boot record...

thanks. i will unplug it.

What this guy says, don't let the windows installer touch your linux disks

>dual booting
just set up a vm, pin 2 cores to it and get a hd5450 for 20$ and pass it to the vm

I have this setup.

To log in at particular system you have 2 options:
1) select boot drive from bios (with F10 usualy)
2) Install windows, reinstall GRUB on linux disk so it "sees" new drive and set bios to boot to linux drive. You can then select which os to boot from GRUB

One question though - why don't you set windows virtual machine in linux?

Because if i remember correctly virtual machine can't use your all hardwares properly. I will need my videocard. But if i am wrong please correct me.

most amd cards work fine for passthrough, and some nvidia cards

i have radeon hd 6950 (old but still good enough). Sigh, maybe i should give i a chance to VM. Thanks anyway.

Works fine but unplug the Arch drive before installing windows. Windows installation destroyed my grub several times

Thanks.

You really should have NTLDR chain load GRUB and not the other way around... You basically make an MBR on the new drive, dd it into a file and reference it in an entry in the BCD. Otherwise you run into issues like due to windows bootloader not respecting freedumbs

OR, you can have an active MBR on both drives and select the boot device from the BIOS which may not be as elegant a solution but should work just as well while taking an nth of the effort

It should work perfectly.
I have Windows and antergos installed on the same ssd and it works fine.

Installed windows last?

>FOSS
>working perfectly

pick none

i have this exact setup on my laptop OP. xubuntu on my main HD for almost everything, and windows 7 on a secondary ssd for work. grub2 + grub customizer let me set it up with ease. detected the new drive in a snap.

Let's start with the basic are you having EFI or BIOS?

there's no point to dual boot anymore, we're in the era of vm's now

>tfw motherboard doesn't support IOMMU

I do this as well, Windows 10 on an HDD for movies, games, etc, and Linux on an SSD for work; no problems to be had.

I know this seems kind of retarded.
But imo best way is a hardware power switch for your 5.25" bay.
Basically can get a switch that toggles power to your Arch boot ssd. Then you can set boot priority Arch>windows.
And voila!

Actually did this to unplug my linux ssd when I boot windows, so there is no chance in hell that winspyfuck touches my linux in any way

>be me
Dual Boot:

ssd0 = debian
ssd1 = win7

Grub 2.0 from debian auto detected ssd1 an puts it in the boot options screen. At first loader only showed up sometime for win7. after fucking around with win7 and MINOR updates. Shows up within grub now and accessible but my RGB keybrd occasionally fucks up and needs me to switch pc on/off for the win7 boot.
>Isweird

>era of vm
your professor tell your that after the reaming?