Best tiling window manager and why

What: XMonad
Why: Haskell

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/roboman2444/dwmcatcher
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What: Herbstluftwm
Why: It is the only one I understand and it has decent defaults close to my scheme

What: Awesome
Why: Too lazy to try any of the other

OP nailed it desu

What an old-ass screenshot.

What:i3
Why: lightweight, easy as fuck to understand and build a config, really nice defaults, lots of people writing soft to use with.

love your config, share ?

Your config looks sick, mind sharing?

check airblader dotfiles, he is the dude behind the i3-gaps fork. Font is cpmono_v07.

i3 font?

cpmono_v07 or FontBureau Input.

What? Tmux
Why? Becouse it fast.
And Velox becouse of the same reason.

.tar.xz?

Looks fucking sick mate, also a fellow i3 lover

What: dwm
Why: tags, master/stack layout
On my phone, no scrot

dwm took all of that from xmonad

(You)'re a fucking moron, xmonad was inspired by dwm, which dates back to 2006. dwm was a distillation of the ideas of wmii from the same author.

What: stumpwm
Why: controlling my wm from emacs through swank is sexy

Why wouldn't you just take a screenshot

>Best _tiling_ window manager

awesome-wm has the best widget support hands down.

What: bspwm
Why: being able to change anything at any time from the shell is pretty much the best you could possibly ask for

mah nigga

>Install xmonad
>Install pacgraph
>Run pacgraph
>see HASKELL in letters 10'' high covering 90% of the screen

i still use screen cause i have scripts for it.

screen 4 lyfe

tmux is not a windows manager. it is nice though, and great to use for SSH sessions.

what: i3
why: Dynamic tiling, some nice configuration options, and I guess I just like it.

I know that feel. I want to try dwm but it looks too intimidating.

>tfw i3-cuck
>tfw don't even tile (other then terminals)
feels good famitsu

dwm here too.

However when it's updated through the package manager and post reboot - it fucks up urxvt config and I have to rebuild it and quit x-org to unfuck it. Maybe I should just be doing that xserverrc :shrug: ... but that's my only complaint after like 6 years.

bspwm
sane and simple configuration

>Why: Haskell
Do you have brain damage?

this pretty much

What: Ratpoison
Why: Emacs window management, easy to configure, easy to script, fast, lightweight (1mb).

Config please. I'm dying, here senpai

What: BSPWM
Why: I don't have to remember keybinds

have you given stumpwm a go? it's the 'successor' to ratpoison, if you like emacs window management then you'll love it.

though it is pretty big...

Which: i3
Why: manual tiling, TABS (seriously does any other WM support tabbing?)

What: Sway
Why: Wayland

I believe so, but tabbing is comfy as fuck. Used awesome before and switched to i3 and never looked back. It's the best for laptops.

If someone made a modification to TMUX that you could use a fullscreen terminal and be able to attach X11 windows to panes, it would be fucking awesome.

>rebuild it and quit x-org to unfuck it.
github.com/roboman2444/dwmcatcher

Dont need to quit X

Modified DWM.

I could make the gap a little wider, but its pretty much only used to see when one borderless terminal starts and one ends.

Gaps suck use a blinking cursor and fading or something to distinguish between active terminals.

I really wish someone who'd write an i3 tree-style layout for xmonad. Xmonad is much better than i3 in most regards but I find the flexibility of the tree-style in i3 to be essential.

Would*

Just to clarify I am currently using i3 but used to use Xmonad.

Xmonad was far more stable than i3 — never had any issues in Xmonad but i3 flickers when you close a graphical window and it randomly runs the processor hard for me (although an in-law restart makes it stop).

>fading
How do you set up urxvt to do that?

My niggers.

What: bspwm
Why: sane defaults, easy to configure, easy keybindings, good mouse integration if wanted.

URxvt*fading:
URxvt*shading:

Fading for the text and shading for transparent backgrounds.

Oh nevermind only the text fading works for the active terminal, I thought there was a way to do it for the background too but I can't figure it out.

screen or tmux?

pros and cons for both pls

xmonad has all of that and is only 1000LOC
I bet bspwm is 50K LOC

>always have whatever I'm doing maximized
>rarely have more than my internet browser open
>sometimes have music playing but shows song info in top bar and control it with multimedia keys
>just corner tile if I need more than 1 program open

why should I use a tiling wm on my laptop instead of gnome?

can you make a webm of what you mean?
use ffmpeg for recording since it's most likely installed

>that massive title bar
lol