Tech Standards that fell the wrong way

So, we all know the reason that VHS won over Betamax despite Betamax's superior resolution and sound quality: video length, price, and Sony's refusal to license to third parties.

But what are some less defensible times in which two competing standards went head to head and an objectively worse one emerged victorious?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_2000
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I watched some Betamax home videos the other day and they looked gorgeous

Too bad it never caught on, although the fact that you could initially only record for 1 hour pretty much guaranteed that it would never catch on with Hollywood.

Playstation 2 instead of Xbox.
Sky instead of BSB (UK satellite broadcasters)

Some autist is going to bring up x86 vs. [MIPS, Alpha, SPARC, some other architecture]

They would have a point though.

nVidia vs AMD

Your fucking crazy, firstly the Xbox didn't compete with ps2 for a long time because the ps2 was out way earlier and beside that Xbox blew monkey balls and had the absolute worst controller while looking like several bricks. 360 competed with ps3 just fine but Xbox vs ps2, no question ps2 btfos it thoroughly.

Does anyone remember DIVX? The pay-per-view digital discs that competed with DVDs for a moment in the late 90s? That shit went down when I was a kid, and I remember the firestorm that erupted online over it.

Xbox was fine, multiplatform games were definitely better on it from a technical standpoint and better analog sticks.

PS2 has a legendary library that will never be topped tho.

>not laser disc

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_2000

- full resolution freeze frame
- 4 hours /per side/, later 8 hours /per side/

PS2 was garbage and had zero games at launch.

Sold that shit and got a Dreamcast.

bet you regretted that decision pretty quickly

Not at all.
I bought a PSP and ended up selling that garbage as well and getting a GBA.

it didn't take long for GBA emulators to surface for the PSP
you're really bad at picking stuff

The Gameboy.
The Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear were both vastly superior (but maybe not in battery life)

Who cares the thing barely lasted 2 hours on a full charge it was almost as bad as the Game Gear. The games all sucked.

>maybe not in battery life

But that's the kicker. An absurdly low battery life defeated the entire purpose of going portable. You got maybe 30 minutes of play out of 6 AA batteries with the Game Gear.

I also wouldn't say the hardware was superior. Color graphics and lighting were nice, but GG / SMS titles had absurd amounts of slowdown. Some games are frankly a chore to play, like Sonic: Triple Trouble. Poor Sonic crawls along at sub-20 FPS while his surroundings jitter trying to keep up.

>firstly the Xbox didn't compete with ps2 for a long time because the ps2 was out way earlier, 360 competed with ps3 just fine

Only a year earlier, like the 360 was a year earlier than the PS3, fucking moron.

>absolute worst controller

Got a point, the first one was horrible

>while looking like several bricks

Every multiplatform looks better on X-Box

>PS2 has a legendary library that will never be topped tho

Because obviously most third parties would develop for the best selling console, duh

There is a reason the 360 and PS3 are matched, because they sold the same.

Xbox is far more hackable vs a PS2, solder one jumper and you could reflash it.

You could rent a game from Blockbuster and just rip it directly to the HDD. The ease of piracy alone made it superior.

Laserdisc was expensive as fuck to get into and discs were also expensive as fuck. My dad bought into it. Spent a little over $2k on a player that was the best at the time. Movies on VHS would be $15-$30 at most, laserdiscs would be $50-$80. Needless to say, our VHS collection grew more than the laserdisc collection.

Xbox exclusives BLEW THE FUCK out of PS2 trash

What's the difference?

People would only be playing GBA games either way

There's literally nothing good on PSP

Why is there so much tripfag cancer in this thread? Stop replying to them, you poofs.

>Only a year earlier, like the 360 was a year earlier than the PS3, fucking moron.
1.5 years earlier. Pretty significant considering the Xbox had a shelf life of only four years

Ps2 had tons of games, developers had enough experience from the similar ps1.
Xbox had halo.

the psp screen is bigger and brighter than the SP's
and you can suspend the console (i know some gba games could do it on the gba, but not all)

i enjoyed puzzle bobble, ridge racer, god of war: chains of olympus, hatsune miku: project diva, dungeon siege: throne of agony, and several others

>Xbox had halo.
and it wasn't exclusive for long

ATM vs TCPIP

ATM never became very useable and got overtaken, but was the accepted incumbent protocol by practically all non-American large organizations for 20 years.

Huge numbers of people pointlessly taught and learned its rather horrible "framework" which laughably was all there was to learn, since real implementations were proprietary and expensive and often didn't have much to do with the framework anyway.

All you need to hack a PS2 is a memory card.

iPhone vs Windows Phone

holographic storage vs other physical mediums

you need other things to actually place modified files on the ps2 memory card though (unless you buy one already modified)

>PS2 has a legendary library that will never be topped tho.
It wasn't that great
It pales in comparison to PS1 and let's not get started on how it compares to the SNES or the Mega Drive

You can either use a previously hacked system to write to the memory card or burn a CD/DVD and do the swap trick

Yeah, like a screwdriver and some tape for the slim one.

I remember DivX but it sucked ass. The original free DivX was a free version of something they reverse engineered from Microsoft somewhat illegally. Then when they actually had to redo it to be legit they started some Winrar Realplayer levels of shit into it.

Out much sooner, cheaper, and had more games.

Only a USB flash drive and memory card is needed. And possibly a roll of tape depending on version of PS2 to block a sensor temporarily.

I still think it road the coat tails of the PS1, but it was good. Xbox was a trove of hidden gems, but marketed for its most mediocre games. GCN was actually fantastic, but Nintendo had spent too much of its loyalty at the time on many mistakes with the N64 for it to get the success it deserved.

Electric Cars

Purely electric cars were possible years ago and the tech has only gotten better, but hybrids get pushed that actually don't get nearly the gas mileage they claim unless you drive like a grandma.

just 2 of them. calm down.

>can emulate 5th gen consoles and earlier in addition to some good native games
>there's literally nothing good on PSP
Yeah okay buddy

>Xbox is far more hackable vs a PS2, solder one jumper and you could reflash it.
PS2 was softmoddable. Once you have a modded memory card all you need to do to mod/unmod a console is insert/remove the memory card.
>You could rent a game from Blockbuster and just rip it directly to the HDD. The ease of piracy alone made it superior
Can do this with the PS2 as well.

Then you had a pretty bad PSP.
I still have mine and lasts 4 hours

Nixie tubes vs. seven segment displays.

Nvidiya is shitty mobile. And amd is shitty non mobile

You're comparing two things that arent even in the same catagory fucktard.

Lol no

Remember Stage6? Quality was awesome, long before Youtube and Vimeo caught up. They got sued to oblivion if I remember correctly.

Video 2000 was beautiful.

Plug in Hybrids are great, but instead we get pushed this garbage that uses more fuel than a Diesel compact.

I just think its pathetic a Prius actual MPG is closer to a V6 I drove 15 years ago. And putting an electric motor in a giant a SUV I guess to charge the ipads on board suddenly makes it a hybrid for tax credit. Tesla is furthering something closer to the original electric cars that were destroyed because fuck the consumer, but are no where near a price range worth ditching an old car for. Its just a level of progress that could have been seen a decade ago.

minidisc shouldn't have died

>minidisc shouldn't have died
came here to post this

best all-around audio format ever