I am thinking about buying a chromebook

I am thinking about buying a chromebook.
>It's cheap
>Long battery life
>Web APIs let me do most of webdev stuff
>Can install linux in a snap.

Is this a good idea Cred Forums?

No

Don't do it.

Yes

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to take it to university to take notes n stuff or browse the interweb from time to time it's ok. I'm pretty sure it can run some office programs. But it's not suitable for any higher tasks.

fuck google
bunch a nerdz

Ive heard it works pretty well with tools like code envy or c9. I'm a front end web dev, and this wouldn't be my primary laptop, just looking for something more portable I can do my job on.

Buy a used thinkpad

I have one and I deeply regret buying one. It's basically a laptop that runs a severely crippled version of Android that has no apps or programs. Pretty much just a web browser with a few appa made from directly from google's asshole.

It's so bad I would recommend you get a cheap 5.5" phablet like a a stylo 2 and a bluetooth keyboard. That would be 10X better than a chromebook imho.

if you get it cheap go for it, if not, check other laptops.
At this point I think you already made up your mind about it and just wondering here to get approval and pull the trigger. If that's the case, don't be an idiot and just buy it, use it and give 0 fucks about what others think.

I'm aware of that, however I've seen how linux works. You can basically switch between linux and chrome os in a press of a button, so that kind of makes up for that.

I tried using a chromebook w/ Crouton for a year, but the chromeOS became bloated with each update and renders it unusable. Wiped and enabled legacy to install Xubuntu, and it's been working great. If you can snag one for cheap, it's honestly not a bad deal.

Ive had one op and it was fine. For the price range i would say just go for it

I have one with Xubuntu installed and its pretty good. Mine has only 2 gigs of ram and a celeron so it gets slow at time though

this.

if you really must buy an expensive chromebook look into the Dell or HP Chromebook 13

I have a c720 running xubuntu
Feels good man

>Pretty much just a web browser with a few appa made from directly from google's asshole.

yeah no shit.
its like buying a forklift and complaining that the only thing it's good at is lifting things.

chromebook = google chrome browser
chromebooks are now adding Google Play-store which is awesome.

>its like buying a forklift and complaining that the only thing it's good at is lifting things.
>lifting things
>things
not lifting forks :^)

>It's cheap
>Long battery life
>Web APIs let me do most of webdev stuff
All of the above are true.
>Can install linux in a snap.
Bought a Chromebook and can confirm that this is a horrible misconception. Get a Thinkpad instead if you want to take this route.

>I'm actually so retarded that I can't even run a script correctly

Is it still crouton that's the only way of installing shit? or is there something else that isn't basically a VM yet.

I always thought Chromebooks were maybe the stupidest thing ever created until I got one the other day after my main laptop broke. I actually love this little thing, I'll probably make it my main machine depending on how good Google docs is compared to MS Office. It's so fast especially at that price and can do everything a regular PC can sans. gaming and programming (?)

Sure fine idea. If you can buy a Chromebook instead of buying a normal laptop I say go for it. A laptop is just as disposable and costs more.

Isn't a chromebook 2 pretty much a steal of a price if you don't mind a lack of storage?

It has OK Linux support and the hardware seems pretty beefy.

/thread

>Heavy
>Bad screen
>Mediocre battery life
No. They are fantastic daily drivers for broke people or for playing with Linux. They are horrible as secondary portable lsptops, which Chromebooks are actually great at being

>cheap
>posts pixel
Literally the price of a MacBook Pro with 1/4 of the use

Sub-$200 Chromebook with the best keyboard?

>how good Google docs is compared to MS Office
I use both regularly, and I tend to use MS Office more unless we have a group assignment. Working out of Google Drive is amazing for team assignments.

something lenovo

How clunky is using the MS Office Suite on Linux, and how well will a mid spec chromebook handle it?

>not installing linux on it