Is a 10gbps network card worth it? I have a 10 gbps connection in the netherlands

Is a 10gbps network card worth it? I have a 10 gbps connection in the netherlands.

tweak.nl/nieuws/10-gigabit-en-1000-mbit-komt-naar-glasvezel-de-wolden.html

Do servers use 10 gbps connections or should i wait for it to roll out more?

And is it worth to pay 200$ for a network card?

Pic related is a 10 gbps network card

Other urls found in this thread:

beta.speedtest.net/result/5510069582
asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/PEB10G578111S/
ebay.com/itm/Chelsio-T420-BT-Dual-Port-10Base-T-100Base-TX-1000Base-T-PCI-Express-2-0-Copper-/152228575726?rmvSB=true
tomshardware.com/reviews/storage-controller-performance-ssd,3540.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you have 10 GigE connection at home?

If not, save your money.

Yes i do, 10gbps ftth + switch

Do you have a Cat7 cable at home?

If not, save your money.

WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU LIVE

?

care to provide a speedtest screenshot? 10gbs internet circuit does not make any sense to me.

>Do servers use 10 gbps connections or should i wait for it to roll out more?

you can rent servers with 10gbit connections and get up to 10gbit bandwidth but for the most part you might not get more than 100mbit-1gbit or so from regular internet usage

what you will be able to do is a shit ton of parallel upload/download with minimal latency loss

but if you got the 10gbit connection get the fucking 10gbit network card for your pc for fucks sake some of us would kill for a gbit connection never mind 10gbit

Can't right now because i'm in bed need to get up early for work. At the moment my pc reaches around 965 mbps

Netherlands

Would it be faster for example downloading origin games? Or is the server limited at 1gbps? I want to try it out as almost no one has such a connection and network card

Old test: beta.speedtest.net/result/5510069582

asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/PEB10G578111S/

Just found a 150$ 10gbps card. I'm probaly getting it

How stable is the driver?

cat6/6a is rated for 10gbit, cat5e will very likely hit 10gbit if it was installed to spec

just because cat5e is rated for 1gbit doesn't mean that's all it will do

>Would it be faster for example downloading origin games? Or is the server limited at 1gbps? I want to try it out as almost no one has such a connection and network card

there's plenty of services that will provide 10gbit speeds but origin/steam or the like might throttle, still I'd do it if I were you

also try shopping around for a 10gbit network card, a cheap no-name brand one on ebay might not hit 10gbit but it'll likely do better than 1gbit then you can see if you want to pursue it further

No reviews on it. Asus's support is terrible so i might spend 100$ more for an intel one

>from IBM CloudLayer
have you launched a test from a VPS?

Is dell a good brand for networkcards?
No? They use alot of ibm equipment so that may be the reason. I think i'm connected through a vps because they dont have servers, they are more of a virtual isp

Yo OP if you need a copper 10G card look no further
ebay.com/itm/Chelsio-T420-BT-Dual-Port-10Base-T-100Base-TX-1000Base-T-PCI-Express-2-0-Copper-/152228575726?rmvSB=true

Thank you. Seems like a solid choice lemme check if there are drivers for linux with it

godverdomme homo ik heb ook tweak maar alleen maar 1Gbps

Do you even have storage that will write at 10 gb/s?
I don't see the point otherwise.

Obviously it's worth it if you can match the speeds

You can download stuff to RAM.

You could start you own ISP with that connection.

Or just get a shittion of low end PCs and sell them as VPS.

>No? They use alot of ibm equipment so that may be the reason. I think i'm connected through a vps because they dont have servers, they are more of a virtual isp
what the actual fuck am I reading

i think he is trying to say he is directly connected to a dataceter and not a ISP

no wonder because Netherlands is the datacentar meka of the EU

You're fucking retarded.

>they are more of a virtual isp
No. Tweak has their own equipment where they offer 1Gbps+

He asked a legit question... are you retarded?

You would have to RAID 2 good SSDs to get that write speed of 1 GB/s

So its a leased line? Of course its through a buisiness, but how much does it cost? Whats the uptime for the full 10g?

There is always a bottleneck moron. If you don't have 10Gbps buying M.2 NVMe drives would be useless according to his logic. And getting a CPU that can push that data would also be useless.

>And getting a CPU that can push that data would also be useless.

Spot the idiot. The chip on the NIC is doing almost all the work.

>I can almost get 4 WHOLE SECONDS of my full connection speed!
You've convinced me it is truly a worthwhile investment.

That makes no sense. ISP is ISP. If you get a connection from them, they're an ISP.

There's no way to virtualize fiber...

And which chip puts the data on the disk?

Datacenters are not ISPs and they still can provide access to the internet.

tomshardware.com/reviews/storage-controller-performance-ssd,3540.html

Servers use 40 Gbit these days. It's pissing me off that 10 Gb is still so expensive. USB is faster than consumer Ethernet at this point.

Do you have an ssd that can support 10gbps write/read?

If not save your money

TIL I want to live in the Netherlands.

The answer was the CPU dickwad.
Network card->cpu->storage controller->ssd controller

the CPU almost has no effect unless your running a CPU from 2005

i have 3 SSDs in RAID and at max write speed of 1.2 GB/s the CPU is maybe at 20-25%

you clearly have no idea what your talking about, if the NIC is good (Intels are best btw) its chip will handle all the load of the system

>the CPU almost has no effect unless your running a CPU from 2005
THAT'S THE POINT OF MY ARGUMENT YOU LITERAL IDIOT

what? are you atustic?

Who would run a CPU from 2005 and have a 10 Gbps connection?
your argument is just as retarded as you are

fuck off idiot im not gonna reply to you anymore

Holy fuck OP. Can I move to your country, become a NEET, and just sit online all day?
I feel like if I had 10Gbps internet, I'd be happier.

Anyways, if it's 'affordable' to you, go for it.
If not, just be satisfied with the 1Gbps speeds you get consistently. :P

Side note: I think I came a little. I can only hope to be able to touch some equipment that's capable of doing 10Gbps some day soon. Let alone own it, and at that have it in my house.

>Who would run a CPU from 2005 and have a 10 Gbps connection?
Who would run a network card from 2005 and have a i7 5960x?