Paid for 1000 Mbps but I am only getting 100 mbps

I use ethernet cable connecting from my modem to my computer but I am only getting 100mbps instead of 1000mbps. How am I suppose to boost it? In my computer network I also checked that I am using 1.0 gbps but in the details it only shoes 100 mbps. I also checked speed limit and I was getting around 47 download and 49 upload

install gentoo

Not this thread AGAIN

either post in the /sqt/ or shut the fuck up

Not tech support. Fuck off

Do you know how to log into your modem/router to check the speed it's getting? Perhaps try a network speed test.

Other than that, as an Australian I have to say fuck you and your non adsl connection.

Nah, you're paying for up to 1000 Mbps.

Your modem probably doesn't support gigabit. Are you using a router? Model numbers?
Also call the cable company. People here are just going to call you a faggot.
Lastly, you're a faggot.

Hahaha soz guys I'm new to this.
Yea my router is a tp link which only goes up to 300 so I am getting a new one today but I thought I would be able to get 1000mbps if I connect my cable straight out from the modem to desktop

get fiber

I did a speed test. The picture I attached is a speed test which is 48 and 49

>but I thought I would be able to get 1000mbps if I connect my cable straight out from the modem to desktop
If your modem DOES support gigabit then it means your motherboard doesn't. Upgrade your computer.

Have you considered suicide?

replace your copper wiring lad

In my computer I changed the super & duplex to 1.0 Gbps. Does that mean My computer can go up to 1.0 Gbps? So it's fine right?

Cuz I am considering changing my cable from 5e to 6? Will that help?

You mean in Windows? No.
Does the network card have "GBE" or something similar in the name?

I am not home currently but I am pretty sure it is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Either your router or your computer don't have gigabit ports.

gg

This thread is a trainwreck lmao. OP is probably limited due to his router, or his NIC...

it's his isp. the circuit is probably provisioned for 50mbps.

I have the same problem was OP, except I know my issue lays with the cable.

This is the dumbest fucking thread on Cred Forums right now. Good work.

If I were to buy a new NIC what type should I ask for? Or is there a really good one specifically?

most NICs these days are 1000mbit already.
check your connection and if possible instead of auto detecting speed select gigabit and see what happens.
>you could tell us the model # of the mobo
alternatively it could be the cable.

see His nic is gigabit. His router probably isn't. What model TPLINK op?

Tp link- WR941ND v3

Cuz I connected my cable to modem instead of router so I thought I would get 1000mbps am I wrong?

>WR941ND
>4 10/100Mbps LAN PORTS
>1 10/100Mbps WAN PORT

ok there is your problem or at least once of them

Yea I selected giga and it was still 100mbps so maybe it's my wire

That router doesn't support gigabit. What modem do you have? It might not either. Cat5e is good enough btw. Cat6 won't help.

OHHHHHHH omg thanks haha I am going to buy a new router any good recommendations ?

according to the specs your TP router only has 100mbit ports

Either get a new router that supports gigabit speeds OR connect directly to the cable/whatever modem.

Do you need the router ?
What you can do is set the router into bridge mode and connect other stuff to it that doesnt need gigabit stuff
and then connect your PC directly to the modem.

Thank you I might just change the router. Just wondering I thought the ISP provides the modem ... And how do I know which port in the modem is giga?

>buy a new router any good recommendations
A switch.

Yea I did connect my cable to the modem and I am not getting 1000mbps

I need wifi because my family also uses it

Switch doesn't do NAT

without knowing the modem model i dont know.
But typically its an all or nothing situation.
They will all be gigabit or none of them will be

so just to be clear, you've connected directly to the modem and manually selected gigabit speeds and you're still not getting them ?
we need a modem model to check here

The isp does, but you can also buy your own. Either way it has a model number on it. What is it?

So plug your old fucking router into it.

It's not supposed to replace the modem. Does the ISP give him an Ethernet connection?

Try a new Ethernet cable. Had that problem too until I switched cables. Taking a knife to the defective one was so satisfying considering the headache it gave me.

Currently not at home but it looks like this one
TD-8840

Haha yea maybe I should buy a new cable 5e is fine right? or should i get 6

Does the cable which goes into the router from the modem affect the speed too? should i buy a new cable for the router just in case?

>4 10/100Mbps RJ45 Ports
You probably need a new modem. Call your isp and tell you that. They should check that your modem can support a speed before they sell you the service.

Modems won't do NAT either.

Yea but my router is old so it does not support giga I will buy a new one today any recommendation?

You get a gigabit switch and plug the router's WAN port into that. Router/switch combos are shit, and they combine the worst WAP components with the worst switch components and charge more than a good WAP and switch combined.

Best setup desu:

An old desktop pc. You can find one in Craigslist for $25.
2 IntelPWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapters
A gigabit switch
A 5ghrz wireless access point

Install the network adapters to the towers. Install pfsense on the tower. Plug the modem into one of the tower's adapters, and the switch into the other. Find the best spot to place the wireless access point in your house, then wire it to the switch. Connect any computers, gaming consoles, etc to the switch.

Enjoy enterprise level of network software and amazingly fast Internet speeds.

ok thanks do I have to change the modem myself or does the ISP give me a new one? I will go home later and check to make sure

If you can setup the internet setting for your ISP you could use your own modem, though usually the ISP will insist to use their own modem.

Call them first and see if they have a modem that support gb port

ok thanks you very much

Use a Cat-6 cable?

Yea I am thinking of buying one but the other user said 5e is fine so idk what to do haha maybe 6 for my desktop and 5e for router? is that ok?

If you have a 5e cable that's in good shape already then spending money on a cat6 cable is pointless.

5e in router and 5e in computer thats fine right?

and i want to change my cable just to see if it will help

Yes it's fine. 5e is rated for gigabit speeds. 6 only shows an improvement over long distances and also supports 10 gigabit. Getting a new cable to test with isn't a bad idea though. Might as well spend the extra $2 for cat6.

CMIIW as long as the cable can transfer gigabytes of data then you're ok, check again if you're unsure

Fuck off, shitposter.

fuck off, Cred Forums is not tech support

Generals are worse than threads like this. Containment is ineffective considering all the other shit threads we get.

witnessed

Find a Cat. 6 cable.

Thanks i will get a cat-6 might as well haha and a new router. what brand should i get for router?

ASUS makes some meme routers. Really, they're not super different by brand if you're at a higher price point. Go for at least 70 buckeroos.

ASUS