"Future proofing" your computer is bullshit prove me wrong

"Future proofing" your computer is bullshit prove me wrong.

CPU can be futureproofed now.

a pc is supposed to last 5 to 7 years, not 2.

No it's not.

posted from my 2008 desktop

>7 years
nigga plz

intel said they won't make their cpu's faster any time soon, so right now this is correct

It really isn't difficult.
1. Get a motherboard with a libre/free BIOS, which means dual Opteron CPUs for performance
2. Those boards support up to 512 GiB of RAM. Get 64 GiB
3. Get a GPU with decent libre drivers that can't be "deprecated" by the vendor, which means and AMD card. As a grown-up, a $50-$100 GPU suffices, unless you're a 3D artist or do data mining etc.
This should last you for quite a few years, running a sustainable operating system such as GNU plus Linux.

I'm on 2 Gigs of RAM and could never imagine anyone using more than 16 Gigs let alone what you find in a serious setup with 32 or more, so I would argue RAM you can future-proof for like a decade as well.

Really the only thing you probably can't future-proof in terms of performance is GPUs.

Eh, my computer is 6 years old I think and have no intention of updating it any time soon.

You don't play video games I assume?

You need to be 18 or older to post on this website.

Future proofer reporting in.

>playing video gaymes
underage b8
MODS!

>mentions video games on Cred Forums
Get out.

>not even an 8 core

pfft, Zen will kill that waste of money

back to faggot

>playing video games
Absolutely degenerate

Checked

Six cores with an overclock to 4.4GHz should be good for a while.

Make me.

My fucking doodles of tv memes in photoshop use more ram when worked on, ramlet

You play games not resolutions. Also

16?

>DDR5 is not coming any time soon so getting 16 gigs of DDR4 will be good for a long time
>CPU's are not improving at all right now, so a powerful i5 or i7 k model will last for a long time
>...unless zen is actually decent and intel has to start innovating again
>GPU's are hard to futureproof but getting one with good amount of ram will help you in the long run
>also buying AMD GPU due to good vulkan & dx12 performance will help you in future
>good quality PSU's will last for 10 years, computer power requirements are decreasing these days so you wont need to upgrade it

What do you guys do after you get back from your programming jobs? Exclusively jerk off and browse Cred Forums?

An hero

i study and eat, then i go to sleep. some of us want to be actually good at their jobs and successful in life, you know? be gone, neet child.

i got my fx8320 4 years ago and it's still current

I help my wife's son with his homework and make her and her bull dinner.

>What do you guys do after you get back from your programming jobs?
your mum

can't prove future proof with brand new tech, retard

Nah mate I shitpost aswell as drink.

yea, just minus the job

Do you expect common sense from a gaymur?

Drink, learn, movies, and jerk off into my wife.

>>GPU's are hard to futureproof but getting one with good amount of ram will help you in the long run

Only sorta. 1080p is pretty well done, in terms of futureproofing. A 1070 will last many years to come at 1440p@60hz or 1080p@144hz.

>can't prove future proof with brand new tech, retard

That's a retarded statement. It's quite easy to take a highly educated guess based on its current performance.

back when I was into concept art, that 2 Gig machine allowed me to draw lag-free on like 2000x1500 canvases in photoshop with my wacom, which is pretty good in my opinion. I'm not saying 2 Gigs is sufficient for serious work in photoshop, but something like 8 or 12 would be plenty.

>100Hz
nice, almost as quick as the dell box i had 16 years ago (could do 120Hz)

that blazin fast 120Hz on a 1024x768 35lb CRT amirite

Oh you. Anything over 100Hz has highly diminishing returns

>buy futureproof pc in 2011
>it's still relevant now
my 2600K would like a word with u

OP here. I had this for like 5 years. But it sucked.
What's your graphics card have you had since 2011 nigs?

What you really mean is "you don't play the newest video games all the time". I guess it lies in our nature to want the best and coolest right away, but your best and coolest is going to be old in just a couple of years. You can play plenty of video games on linux, as long as they're at least five years old. To me, this isn't really an issue. If I really want to try the latest games to see what "modern games" (To me, modern video games barely look better than HL2) are like I'll just go to a videogame store.

>tfw budget cards can now max 1080p

we are living in the future

I know right?

This OP is such a faggot. I've been playing Mixed Up Mother Goose ever since I played it in kindergarden. Runs like a dream on my GT 1.

>tfw 200 unplayed games in steam library but 1500hrs of gametime in Quake Live and Quake 3

I upgraded my gfx card tho; it was an HD6950, and I replaced it with a GTX 980 in late 2014

I've also upgraded the SSD 2 times from a 60GB corsair to a 120GB corsair to a 250GB samsung

>implying it's not true

I don't think any FPS surpassed Quake 3

[spoiler]The railgun hitbox is still bullshit though[/spoiler]

Perfect for counter-strike

>He thinks Moore's law still holds up
>He thinks tech companies are going to stop caring about the boatload more profits they get from only making 15-20% performance increases
>He thinks a high-end CPU from 2010 isn't still high-end in 2016

Lurk moar faggot, you know nothing of how technology progresses. Do you understand that if you invested $1000 in the 980x in 2010 you have a Hexacore that performs exactly the same as a $400 high-end 2016 i7 5820k?

You can play video games just fine with an older PC.

cool, you can use a 12 year old standard resolution.

to be fair 2010 cpus (westmere) are quite a bit slower than 2011 cpus (sandy bridge)

Intel's IPC and clock speeds basically flatlined after that tho

The 980x was the first Sandy Bridge, and it came out in 2010.

Well I was 16 at the time.

the 980x was gulftown (westmere-ep)

Futureproofing is true for at most 2 years.
After that, you're bound to have to upgrade something. This is including vidya.

If you do not care about gaming, you can definitely future proof a work computer for about 5-8 years, assuming you use the same software throughout all these years.

my 6950 lasted me 3 years and 5 months
my 2600K has lasted me 5 years 8 months and counting

I feel like there is more you should mention before I respond to your post.

The first PC I ever built is still in use. Gave it to my mom. It's from 2009 and can max out your shitty Overwatch game at 1080p/120fps no sweat.

I want to fuck this girl, if you know what I mean.

And yes, it is bullshit unless you're talking in the context of vidya. Which you probably are.

your mom plays overwatch? cool.

From behind. I am a professional penetration analyst looking for backdoors. :^)

So you just buy the cheapest and shittiest hardware?

No, my little brother who lives with my mom does. I got it as well, but I suck because I just can't see the appeal.

Well, I'd still do your mum friend ;^)

No more like upper middle range.

So buy a $400 dollar GPU every 2-3 years. Instead of a $1000 dollar GPU every 4 years. That's like $300 american.

a $250 GPU will do just fine for 3 years if you're not a graphics junkie and can deal with running a game on medium settings

I hope so because that basically what I did.

I've made other upgrades/changes to my PC but they were largely unnecessary (like three different cases, SSDs, mITX motherboard for an mITX case which I then decided I didn't want, modular PSU at some point, and like 2 different CPU coolers)

A 2600K(4.5GHz)+212EVO, and a decent P67 mobo with 8-16GB of RAM bought at the start of 2011 is still a high-end PC nowadays. The only thing that's really keeping up with moore's law still is GPUs, which have a lifespan of around 3 years before performance on new titles drops below an acceptable level, and they seem to be slowing a bit now too.

this

no you can't.
zen isn't out.

It hasn't been a standard for 12 years, methinks.

I can play everything nicely with a pc i built in 2008.
C2D E8400 (o/c to 3.8GHZ)
P43 Mobo (P5QL-PRO)
8GB ram
Geforce 9800GTX+ (i had to repair it once cause one of the vrams died)
all powerd by a Corsair 650TX

The system is always on, rarely shutdown, and plays most things acceptable on the same 8yo 22" 1680x1050 screen

A PC with a Phenom II X4 and a Radeon HD 4870 is still fast enough.

>have a 750ti which was released in 2014
>still able to reach 60fps in modern games
1 more year! Hush hush!

Future proofing is meme.

Being price/performance cuck is best thing.

Always delivers for your bang and you can replace it sell it , and dont get fucked too much and buy new budget thing like for 50$ more.

best thing famala.

i dont play vidya shit though

Since I can do everything I want to do on a laptop on my thinkpad x61s, I would argue that you can futureproof even laptops. Really it depends on acess to replacement parts, your needs and your willingness to be >that guy.

Will Zen really be so god tier or is it just a meme/snake oil

any i7 laptop with 16gbram is future proof as fuck

you can always get more SSD or ram thats it.

its the "gaymen processing units" that jews everyone

When playing 1.6 at high fps, the game gets more timing ticks for calculating shit, which means you get a more accurate timing for rate of fire. Irony of this is if you have shittier fps your guns actually shoot slightly faster by 10%... This also includes initial shot timing is slightly faster, so if you and that kid with 20 fps click to shoot at the same time, his raytrace will hit first lol.

I watch movies, buy chink shit, then jerk off.

>5820k OC 4.5GHz 1.293v
>Sapphire 290x 4gb Tri-X (Samsung) bios flashed to 390x memory timings w/ 1100 OC on the core
>Sappphire 290x 4gb Tri-X (Hynix) bio flashed to 390x memory timings w/ 1100 OC on the core
>144Hz 1440p panel

yeah, i think im pretty much future proof for the next 3 years

You occasionally rape children prove me wrong.

Meh, your PC will be future proof once you get bored of vidya. I can't even tell the difference in performance between my old core2duo and the i3 I'm using right now.

There are literally no better games than those, so you're not missing much.

Newest Triple A videogames*

A 5-7 year old machine is more than capable of running shit like WoW or Source or Unity games. And if your idea of "gaming" is running whatever incarnation of Battlefield or Far Cry is the newest on 4K Ultra, fuck off.