PSU help

I need a psu for my new build (pic related)
what should i get cobsidering that i could add a mid to high end gpu?
when i throw in my components + a 1080 to that online wattage calculator it shows about 490watts.
what would you do Cred Forums?

850 will cover you for everything up to SLI

500w would be more than enough.

700w would even be enough to let him SLI

GTX 1080 only use about 180w each, so around 360w. The CPU is 91w, can get up to around 150w when OC'd, RAM, motherboard, etc. Maybe another 50-75w total.

so 360w + 150w + 75w is just below 600w.

A single GPU would be 180w + 150w + 75w or ~400w

A quality 500w PSU is fine if you only have 1 GPU, and a quality 700-750w PSU is fine if you go for SLI GPUs.

You normally want to be around 60% PSU usage at peak for efficiency.

You want to know how I know you're a 16 year old cod kiddie?

yeah, do you think he is going to be stressing his CPU and GPUs to 100% all the time or something?

Most gaming will be 60-70% power draw, not 100% load.

Psu related question. My old one is 80 bronze and has been in use for 1 year. Now building a new system and thinking if itd be worth it to get a new one just in case ? Whats the first part to go in a pc?

Also, op 600 silver or gold should cut it fine !

I have a 5820k, 32GB of RAM, and a GTX 960 (im not a gamer)

I struggle to pull more than 350w from the wall. pretty much any single GPU and CPU can be run on a quality 500w PSU.

And thats with a 140w CPU OC'd so it's pulling around 180-200w.

Seasonic X-650

done

I can easily pull 400-500W, but I'm also using a dual sandy bridge system and a GTX 970

Running on a 650W PSU personally (but the 900VA UPS is the bottleneck anyway)

Literally my setup.

Anyway whatever psu you go for make sure the efficiency rating is at least gold and that it's jguru approved. Also, depending on the case, your psu may be smaller than the space for it on the case, so give proper attention to that as well. If you're going for bronze certified, then get something that's approximately 2x the wattage needed since 50% capacity is where psus are most efficient. If you're going gold or platinum, it shouldn't matter that much. If you need a 490w psu, get a 750-800w unit. Shit drivers and such are common, you don't know if some driver down the road extends spikes and burns the PSU. It's also a good idea to get something with higher power ratings so you can have roon to overclock youe gpu or CPU down the road. Overclocking GPUs lengthens their usefulness considerably.

I have a 850w tp gold w/390 sli. Will get the 225w vega next year. If you want goos psus google "psu tier list" and select whatever tier your budget supports. Evga G2 is top tier, and we all know evga customer support is the best too. 10 year warranty as well iirc.

>and that it's jguru approved.
I would like to add the recommendation of making sure it's hardocp-approved

>then get something that's approximately 2x the wattage needed since 50% capacity is where psus are most efficient.
jesus you're retarded.

90% of the time your computer is on what are you doing? Waching youtube, web browsing, more or less idle work loads. This will pull ~150w on that setup.

Even the majority of gaming loads will be under 350w with that setup. almost no game stresses your GPU 100% and your CPU 100% at the same time for a continuous amount of time.

The VAST majority of the time that computer will be on it will be pulling far under 200w.

Dont buy an 800w PSU for a computer that will spend most of its time doing little to nothing, most people aren't running benchmarks or encoding things 24/7, so long term high load should not be a concern.

Your suggestion would literally cost him $25-50 more just for an 850w PSU vs a 500w, not to mention being wasted because his system will never draw over 500w, even if he tried.

You don't need much, 500W is well enough for power draw requirements. However, you really should consider efficiency here. Something like AX760i would be a top choice as it'll be extremely efficient and likely stay completely passive from idle to full load with that setup and has headroom for OC. Any good 700W PSU should do the job perfectly. Look for efficiency charts, decide a budget and think your power bill. A quality PSU for a peace of mind isn't a bad idea either.

>Your suggestion would literally cost him $25-50 more just for an 850w PSU vs a 500w, not to mention being wasted because his system will never draw over 500w, even if he tried.
And wasting more costs in electricity because at such low loads the 800W PSU will be far less efficient

yeah most likely, though that will depend heavily on what specific 800w unit he gets, some are decently efficient at low loads, but then you're usually spending even more money on a very high quality unit.

But yes, overall i'd expect a decent 500w PSU would probably save another $10 a year on electricity.

OP here.
I dont really give a fuck about electricity consumption (as i pay almost nothing on my cobtry).
I've been recommended by a friend to get a 600w evga bronze, but you guys now make me think it would be quite a poor choice.
I'm still trying to decide. thanks a lot fags, seriously

As long as idle/casual consumption is 10% capacity then larger psu capacity is warranted. It doesn't matter when getting gold or platinum since they're sufficient enough.

literally anyone telling you to get over 600w is a manchild who has no actual electric expertise or experience outside building their first gaming computer their senior year of highschool.

Your friend actually made a solid recommendation, though i'd personally spend more for a Silver or gold rated 500w Modular unit.

Gold and platnium don't test for anything under 20% load levels. There are some particularly bad units out there that have sub 80% efficiency at under 20% load levels, which is primarily what he would be at on a 750w+ unit.

Only titanium tests at 10% load.

I would go for a gold-rated PSU that has quality components manufacuted by a company with a good reputation.

The most important thing to understand about PSUs is that the company that sells them (Corsair, EVGA etc.) is usually not the company that manufactures them (Seasonic, Enermax etc.).

I highly recommend checking hardocp on any PSU you have your eye on, they do teardowns and solid testing.

A quick unrelated question:
I have the opportunity to buy a second hand i5-6600K for my new build. It comes from a prebuilt pc so no warranty or packaging, just the chip. What do you think is a reasonable price for this? I am supposed to suggest one...

oh and a new one is sold for about 290 bucks here

$150-175 assuming it works and it wasn't stress tested with like 1.5v voltage or some shit.

Ask if it's been overclocked. If not, $150 or so would be a reasonable starting point.

the guy swears its never been run

I'd question that right off the bat.

If it was never run why no box and why no warranty.

If it's completely unused and works, I'd go up to $200.

He said it came from a prebuilt PC, which makes sense. I'd be more curious as to why he bought a prebuilt PC and took out the CPU, though.

he supposedly bought a prebuilt rig, took this i5 out and put a slower proc in there, yeah i know

well he's confirmed retarded.

I'd go $200 maybe, but I couldnt see spending more than that, but that's probably because my local retail store has them for $210 in the box.

OP, check efficiency measurements at different loads, noise levels, pricing and warranty. In other words, do research and read reviews.

>literally anyone telling you to get over 600w is a manchild who has no actual electric expertise or experience outside building their first gaming computer their senior year of highschool.
You sound so convincing user.

>Hyper 212 EVO
>not the NH-D15
>SAMSUNG 850 Pro
>not the 950 Pro
>Western Digital
>probably not even 64 GB of RAM
lol!!!

EVGA GQ 650