What are space battles going to be like?

Are we going to be able to make stars explode, create rouge black holes and cause supernovas in systems as humans evolve and inevitably learn to make these things with the current advancements in society. Sure, it's probably not going to be this millennia but what kind of space war are humans going to have when we advance that far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jW55cViXu6s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We're probably going to extinguish ourselves before that happens

>see a ship on the ladar
>press the laser button
>vaporized
wew

>What are space battles going to be like?

One ship release thousands of tungsten balls and propels them to speeds of more than 10,000,mph. Anything caught in the field is destroyed.
Everyone just throws what is essentially garbage around in hopes of someone sailing into it.

Would flying a spaceship be as fun as driving a fast car?
I feel like the only fun thing about it would be knowing that you are in a spaceship going at very high speeds, but the actual sensation would be pretty boring wouldn't it?
There's no loud engine noises, and there isn't really any friction or turbulence like you would feel in a car.

The easiest way to gauge speed is by frame of reference. If you were flying through a field of blackness and all fixed objects were too far away to be moving relative to your perception you wouldn't feel like you were moving at all.

Do you know what inertia is?

Fuck. Is everyone here stupid?

It depends on the size of the ship you're talking about.
I was thinking about something the size of the enterprise, so inertia probably wouldn't be very significant.

>he spent all the money on ricing his ship instead of getting a shield

It would have been easier if you had just said "no, I don't know what inertia is"

Retard.

No bullying, please.

Some people are less academically inclined than others. No need to get upset or call people names.

I think a battle in space would end as soon as one party actually took a hit, which probably wouldn't be too hard because changing direction is so costly and needs to be precisely calculated before it happens.

I envision two space stations getting near each other and jettisoning objects out of their airlocks at each other until one of them takes a direct hit.

It would probably be a game of destroying each others life support or puncturing their pressurized vessel enough times to use up their atmospheric regulator.

Space as it exists to us today is super inconvenient as a combat zone, so I dont really ever see sending combat ships into space for the purpose of doing battle.

>I was thinking about something the size of the enterprise, so inertia probably wouldn't be very significant.
might want to spend some time on

The Expanse has pretty realistic space battles.

Ships designed for redundancy, one railgun shot will always go through.

Ships go at different speeds all the time, outrunning missiles could even be a thing. Point defense takes care of other missiles.

Distances will be too vast, so dogfights will never be a thing.

It will basically be whoever shoots first wins, so the arms race will be about sensors and stealth.

I hope by then humans decide that space is better left to robots than living organisms. I reckon a proper space battle would be between two drone ships, and the nearest human observers would probably be viewing through telescopes on our home planet

>implying a shield isnt rice
>running around the cosmos trying to take down ships only for your enemy to cover their entire station in their favorite waifu at the last minute

For this we have to consult the ancient ancient history of the finno-korean hyper war.
Ultimately it results in a total collapse of civilization and a loss of most all of technological process.

space mammoths are a fucking deadly thing.

Depending on the speed you're / your opponent is travelling at accelerating them might not even be necessary, after all an object impacting at 3 km/sec delivers kinetic energy equal to its mass in TNT.

The most vulnerable thing to take out would be your opponents radiators, life support (i.e. O2) would be a lower priority because the most likely thing for a crew to do on entering a combat area would be to put on pressure suits, so even if the compartment depressurises they can still fight. But they can't if the temperature goes above a certain level.

The Expanse is pretty based, a lot of the combat choices are reliant on the existence of the Epstein Drive though

I'd say space battles will be:

>Extremely fast, both in terms of how long they go on for and how quickly everything is moving.
>Extremely long range
>Completely automated, except perhaps for humans being involved in deciding whether to begin a battle in the first place. Otherwise everything happening will be too fast-paced for humans to be useful
>Devastatingly awful if human settlements were ever involved. Whether we're talking about attacks against the surface of a planet, or attacks on space stations, the destructive power of anything from space is going to kill a lot of people if it ever happens.

Essentially, we should just hope that space battles are never a thing, because they're going to fuck up a whole lot of shit if they do occur. It's unlikely we'll ever invent any kind of defensive capability able to really hold up against the sheer destructive power that comes from shooting shit around in a vacuum.

Physical projectiles seem rather dangerous especially if you're fighting near an inhabited planet. An object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by another force. Since space is a vacuum, any physical object propelled at very high-speed that doesn't hit its objective will represent a great danger to whoever is in its trajectory path. That could be an innocent user sitting on his toilet back on Earth getting pulverized by a 15 mm ammo solid inox sphere.

I think if we reach the point where we can wage full-scale war in space then it's likely we won't be waging wars at all between ourselves unless an alien species really wants a piece of us.

Watch this

youtube.com/watch?v=jW55cViXu6s