Why are voice assistants not the future?

You have Amazon's Alexa, Google's Assistant, Microsoft's Cortana, and Apple's Siri and some less known ones.
Those companies seem to be maintaining and improving their voice assistants, none of them pulled the plug yet.

Why are they doing this when people don't (want to) use those products?
Or are those the future of our interaction with technology and people don't see it coming yet?
Will it have to be humanoid female-looking robot to get the voice assistant thing properly take off?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/MycroftAI/mycroft-core
github.com/claritylab/lucida
fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>inb4 botnet
you have Mycroft and Lucida, both FOSS as fuck, and some even less developed attempts available on Github
github.com/MycroftAI/mycroft-core
github.com/claritylab/lucida

Because the end goal is for you to be able to walk into your home after work and say "Order me a pizza, the usual." while hanging up your coat and have your assistant take care of it. It's just that the path to get there is paved by morons opening a dedicated app and verbally telling it to set an alarm when it would be faster to do it manually.

I willl be cash with real ai...

They only use it as an excuse to tap your mic 24/7.

"OK Google, set an alarm in 4 hours" without ever touching my phone is way faster than doing it manually.

A nice example of this would be cooking. I could set the alarm without having to stop preparing my food or washing my hands before/after touching the phone

"Okay google, set an alarm for 6:00 am" I don't even have to unlock the screen, tell me again how that's slower than using the GUI?

I'm glad we're on the same wavelength

because every depiction of the future has voice assistant AI. AI is the future and an AI has a voice. Is it really that hard to understand.

Oh boy, dont go crazy with those extra 15 seconds now!!!

They are the future. I set voice timers whenever I put Coca-Cola cans in the freezer to make sure I don't forget to take them out (the cans expand and explode otherwise), and for taking showers quickly instead of enjoying the warm water for too long.

if that is the future that we want to see, why are only corporations going in that direction, while FOSS community has only barely working prototypes?

Because every time the guy at my work who does stuff like this says "OK Google..." everybody around him immediately yells "CALL 911 NOW" as fast as they can, and he has to panic to make sure it doesn't call, then does it through the GUI anyway.

If your argument is that FOSS reflects what peple want, then you're wrong: FOSS reflects what *programmers* want.

foss is dying imho desu senpai

oh, now I understand

Do you unironically use that shit??

Yes. Why not?

>okay botnet

Well... several reasons, my main one is, I can do what I need on my device quicker than I can explain it to a computer.

So you are using custom keyboard, display and hdd with your laptop...

thats fucking hilarious

>Because every time the guy at my work who does stuff like this says "OK Google..." everybody around him immediately yells "CALL 911 NOW" as fast as they can
I want to work where you work

nah son, pic from a blog i found the other day, its totally honest depiction from the guy writing an article about the macbook, i laughed my ass off about them its hilarious the amount of justification, like if you need more than one port why are you buying a laptop with one port.

The only appropriate response to retards like you.

for shits and giggles heres the last one of his doodles

Aren't macbooks equipped with some kind of bluetooth standard for their peripherals?

dont know, never had a mac i found that article randomly

lmao fuck mac so hard.. why would anyone waste their money on this garbage. " We decide what peripherals you can use " " we decide what apps you can use "

FUCK YOU STEVE JOBBS

They just want to datamine, that's why they are giving you voice recognition for free. They want to tap into your life, record as much info and have algorithms tear that apart into logical information that can be sold to advertisers. Most of it will be of course used to further develop the system, but there is no redundant information, everything is worth their time and processing power.

Google will sell that information to other advertisers and it will be circulated for long enough that the source is literally whitewashed, it can't be traced back to unethical sources. Technically, maybe yes, but in practise no.

The data comes in raw form to google, who then use computers to analyze any vital information out of it. Then the pajeets get to analyze it and they will sell it to other pajeets working for some obscure online advertisement company. And it repeats and repeats after the information can be sold by a reputable online information dealing business to a large public company like a makeup manufacturer.

The voice samples are recorded from their iphones, the data gets ripped apart and the end product is some statistical information table which shows the company what they should take in consideration when advertising.

good post,
idk what's wrong and right anymore

>wow lets see what laptop I wanna get, it needs ports and good performance
>Macbook Pro? hmm...is it the new apple thing? oh its not? fuck that I want something elegant and simple ffs
>Macbook? Its the new one yay thats mine, so elegant and shiny and simple
>wtf why doesn't it have any more ports for all my complex extra shit?
>wtf this thing isn't even designed for me to use as a desktop wat a peece of shit

>THIS THING ISNT PERFECT FOR MY USE CASES THEREFORE IT SUCKS

its for richfags who want something to impress that also is really nicely portable and has no bullshit extras that you don't even need

he's just shitposting dude, don't feed the trolls

Actually this isn't a bad idea.
For my own setup I actually have my keyboard/mouse/headset plugged into my screen.
When I'm not using my desktop my partner can unplug 1 usb from the desktop and plug in an HDMI cord to the screen and she can work with all my expensive peripherals.
I can see the advantage of having one of these setups at home and another one at work.

reminds me of the "say mcdonalds!" xbox patent

>actually saying "OK google" like a fag
>using google products
>doing as google tells you to do
>anthropomorphizing a product

shiggydiggydoo

wait, the verification can meme was actually being planned?
top fucking kek, consolefags must really be willing to take it up their ass if thing like that was not discarded immediately.

holy fuck, thanks for educating me that pressurized cans rupture when frozen

thanks for the epic life hack dewd

if you know how to tie shoelaces, I would love to learn that life hack too!

>inb4

where can I learn to be a lifehacker

>having to leave "always listening" on like a creep
>not being able to omit "ok" and just use "google hentai pics please"

Yeah I know its horrible, I do use it occasionally when I need to Google something long really quick and I'm in private.

>if you know how to tie shoelaces, I would love to learn that life hack too!

I could explain how to tie your shoes in less than two seconds, but it's already been written.

fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm

Imagine someone who is actually productive on a computer. They either search the programs they want to execute or save a shortcut in a place where they can easily access. They also use file explorers often and know how to navigate throughout their entire computer with them.

Now imagine a dumb nigger asking cortana to open Microsoft word. Who do you think gets the job?
>inb4 affirmative action
okay, who keeps the job?

I use it only rarely at home, for alarms and things.

But god damn it is so awkward to use these features in public.

> standing in line at store
> "Okay Google... Call Mom"
>" Call Mom Home or Mom Cell or Mom Work?"
>"Cell.."
> Get looks

Yeah fuck that

Just picturing that makes my balls creep ever so slightly inside me.

>Will it have to be humanoid female-looking robot to get the voice assistant thing properly take off?
yes