/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T400
youtube.com/watch?v=vVpgcEKSqwo
ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Lenovo-65W-20V-Ultraport-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-for-ThinkPad-X-Series-/401054745390?var=&hash=item5d60b9c32e:m:mmCXqYb-nCEK86qJyi1ixIQ
www95.zippyshare.com/v/hptJM5OB/file.html
blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2014/11/30/i915-and-hangcheck-timer-elapsed-error/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics
ebay.com/itm/New-For-IBM-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X61T-X60T-Tablet-PC-Laptop-LCD-Screen-Swivel-hinge-/221924169155
bestbuy.com/site/hp-beats-special-edition-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-a8-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-twinkle-black-vibrant-red-ash-silver/7018105.p?id=1219247543445
amazon.com/dp/B00SVIYB0I/ref=twister_B00SS4XVJW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
donedeal.ie/laptops-for-sale/lenovo-thinkpad/13214258
tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=4178-6vu
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-15-6-i7-4700MQ-2-4-GHz-16GB-1TB-HDD-25GB-SSD-Dual-750M-/272347967104?hash=item3f69342e80:g:lWAAAOSwgZ1XuNbx
ccm.net/forum/affich-710454-my-lenovo-laptop-won-t-start-power
support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/hf004122
world.taobao.com/item/520044762973.htm
support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds037750
support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T420?query=&Shallow=1&Type=&OperatingSystems=&Component=&Symptom=&tabName=Downloads&linkTrack=Mast:SubNav:Support:Drivers and Software|Drivers and Software&beta=false
ti.com/tool/TMDSEVM572X
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T420-2-6ghz-Core-i5-6GB-320gb-14-dvdrw-WIN7PRO-Great-Condition-/252527570550?hash=item3acbd0ee76:g:YsoAAOSw9IpXziIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw THIS CLOSE to buying a P50
>tfw not patient enough to wait until next year to buy a cheaper used one

FUCK

I bought a T430 to replace my old Pavilion G6 that I accidentally snapped in two. Tried installing Trisquel only to find that it didn't like the wireless adapter. Trisquel worked fine with my old laptop, so I salvaged that adapter before I chucked it.

I asked in the last thread and someone said T430s have a wireless whitelist on the BIOS I'd have to purge first. Anyone got a good guide for that? I was also going to flash coreboot/libreboot (they also said libreboot doesn't support T430s but the website says "it is believed that all or most T400 laptops are compatible" so if anyone could clear that up that'd be ace), so if that'll sort the whitelist out too I'll just be wanting a guide to replacing the wireless card.

fell for the meme and got a t400.

not used to the mouse clit tho. how do i make the must use of it?

Am I fucked?
Where can I get a new battery?
x201 btw

the uefi on the t430 is encrypted so you can't just de whitelist the bios
I'd suggest not using an autistic distro

T400 is an actual model

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T400

The reason the T430 isn't supported is due to CPU's after the C2D requiring proprietary code to work properly or something like that

Well, shit. I must've had T400 confused with T4xx and assumed it referred generically to all T4xx models.

So my best bet would be to get a T400?

Can I get a Thinkpad resembling an ultrabook? Which models are light and do not have a dvd reader?

i guess
but why the hell would you want to use that terrible distro?

Thinkpad X series.

Warning to people thinking about buying a ThinkPad...

I just made a thread asking how to fix this. T430 (and other T4xx?) screens get these white pressure mark blobs seemingly out of nowhere. Happened to me within a week and after carrying it once. Do you have to put them in bubble wrap or what?

youtube.com/watch?v=vVpgcEKSqwo

t420
i7 2620
8gb ram
500gb hdd
'refurbished' and checked (1 year warranty)
for 320 € or 356 Dollar
too much?

I got my T43's replacement batteries on ebay. Probably not up to original spec, but enough to do the job without me having to rebuild the battery or something.

thoughts on x260? seems to tick all the boxes for me.

>too much?
Yes.

>upgraded my T420 to 3 drives master race because an user told me to
>install OS, programs and some stuff
>msata ssd is half full
>both 1tb drives are empty
>have more storage than I'll ever need
why the hell did i do this

Because you like having two drives you don't need sucking up battery life.

what about amazon
I don't feel comfortable getting a good battery off of ebay,considering the ones that come with the thinkpads on there are all shit

It's usually from putting pressure on the screen
quit beating your thinkpad up
yes, you can get a t430 for that price
keyboard layout is less than ideal, but I'm fine with it on my t430
because you're retarded
ideally just buy one 500gb ssd and nothing else.
keeps weight and power consumption down.

Start hoarding chinese cartoons.

>weight is an issue
lel only if you're a fucking pussy

You might as well backup to one.

why have 1 fast but small ssd, and 3 unused slow as hell hard drives?
when for the same price you could just get a 500gb ssd and get a far faster system, AND weight reduction for basically free

Where can I order a reliable replacement power brick and cord for my thinkpad? I have a X220 and I've heard using a cheap power brick is a terrible idea.

>Intel releases good mobile processors with decent integrated GPU
>every laptop manufacturer still insists on putting hot and heavy discrete graphics in their laptops

why is Apple the only company that doesn't do this shit? I don't want a discrete GPU in my laptop, but I want all other specs to be top-notch.

what's a good light, nearly indestructible thinkpad with greater than 2 gigs ram that would be used for school work?

Then get a business laptop.

buy a used official one
But apples highest end laptop has a dgpu
thinkpad x200 or better
ideally get a x220 or better

You clearly arent looking at all. Most laptops DONT have a dedicated GPU.

>dell xps13, entire inspiron line
>x1 carbon, and the majority of think pad
>majority of HP
>several configuratins of Asus/Acer/msi

official ones are like quadruple the price. Are they really worth it?

they're like $20 on ebay you cheap fuck

Is there a way to know if the one you get is genuine or not?

ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Lenovo-65W-20V-Ultraport-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-for-ThinkPad-X-Series-/401054745390?var=&hash=item5d60b9c32e:m:mmCXqYb-nCEK86qJyi1ixIQ

is this one genuine or fake?

Do you know who manages that last pastebin? I have a link to add regarding hardware flashing Libreboot

Thoughts on the precision? I'm considering getting the 7510.

if it gets too bad just install an X1 carbon screen or something, not too expensive and is a good upgrade.

If you have a T500, they used the same power cable.

Not to answer for him, but what's so bad about wanting certified freedom? (posted from a non-certified distro btw)

My x60 tablet arrived today, the the hinge was completely broken, so I'm falling back on my old friend: gorilla glue.

I have had an X230 convertible tablet for a few weeks and I decided to give the pressure sensitive pen a spin. I made the horrible realization that the only software that will detect pen pressure is Lenovo's WRITEit.

Is this real? Do I really have a piece of hardware that could be used to draw beautiful art and the only software it can be used with is made to doodle over webpages and documents? Tell me there is a way to make the pen pressure detected by Photoshop or GIMP or something, at least. This can not be real. It's like having a set of expensive brushes and only being allowed to use them on toilet paper.

>everything tells me that a x260 is a better choice than a x1 carbon
>still on the verge to fall for a x1 carbon

I'd just order a Dell xps 13 if it weren't for the screen content adaptive brightness you can't disable.

I own a x1 carbon
Comfy af

The screen is goat, especially the 1440px one (the x260 maxes out at 1080p)
However the x1 carbon
>require you take an i7 to come with 16gb of ram
>don't have a rj45 port
>can't have a BIG battery
>throttle with heat (well, not especially a bad thing if I target autonomy on battery)
>will require me to buy dongles (should I want to plug in an Ethernet cable or a monitor) and can't be put on a docking

However
>the x1 carbon is popular among Linux devs so I can expect support if I beg for help on IRC or Cred Forums

why not coreboot?
It will ultimately have better support

By the way, what's the point of an i7 in a laptop if only U versions are available?
And how do I compare CPUs to see if the option worth the extra money?

>Alternatively
The x1 is compact. It's not meant to be a work station with an i7 and 16gb of RAM connected to multiple monitors, it's on the go. It's great for what it was designed for. If you want the 16gb ram, don't get an x1.

I don't especially need an i7 (I don't see what does it adds if I don't use hyperthreading regularly), but 8gb of ram is not enough if I expect to run virtual machines and meme machine learning.

If I just wanted a "compact confy laptop that is not meant to handle being used" I'd just get a macbook and call it a day.

The x1 pleases me for aesthetic reasons, for its screen and its popularity hence abundance of help available online.

Everything else tells me to get a x260 instead. But I somehow try to justify to myself that a x1 carbon is not that bad of a choice.

One of the stickers on the bottom of this thinkpad I bought a month ago is wearing blank, and is hardly seeable. Do I need any sticker other than the one with the windows code and the serial numver?

I think you're looking for a desktop computer.

Nice trips but I won't commute a desktop everyday on my bicycle.

Just do virtualization at home. Why do you need to do virtualization on the go so bad

The core benefit for me was always a completely deblobbed BIOS

If ME can't be removed, from my values perspective Coreboot is the same as the stock proprietary BIOS

Libreboot is unfortunately an irrelevant project on X86 at this point due to the extra efforts taken by chip manufacturers to make their low level malware irremovable

this, it's 2016
who runs VMs locally anymore?

I can use any older Thinkpad because all the heavy computing gets offloaded to a server.

How do I make these shitty TN panels not-blue?

>the most lit of thinkpads

I have to demonstrate a PHP project for a potential employer tomorrow

This is my only laptop

Am I fucked? Might borrow gf's laptop since it's not faggy like mine

Peel all of them off faggot. Even the OBEY one adding more cringe then the webcam ever did.

How bad is the Thinkpad X100E for an ultraportable running a light Linux distro? I am cheap and they can be had for

QUICKLY! My brother's laptop died, he's looking at getting athinkpad to hold him over until he can get a better one (macbook probably), he does a lot of drawing and stuff would a x220t or a x230t be better?

If I buy a used x220 with an existing HDD, is it better to replace it with an SSD or just use the mSATA slot for the SSD?
In terms of performance, battery consumption or whatever you think is relevant.

Ive been using supercal9C81 on my T420 with the shitty 1600x900 screen

www95.zippyshare.com/v/hptJM5OB/file.html

If he need drawing on screen and do not want it to draw on external tablet, he should just consider drawing on paper

looks good to me
whenever you get it check the SN on some lenovo database thing (or something like that)
because you get a terrible experience
if you want to spend 5 days straight setting it up nicely then go for it.
or you could go with a non retarded linux distro, load some proprietary drives, and install a custom icon pack/theme and you are good to go

Samsung has pci express ssds of 1 tb
Would those work in any gen of thinkpad?

Reposting this from /flg/ yesterday as there was no help there.
Coming here hoping someone can help.
On my new X220 running Antergos with GNOME I have problems with suspend. Or rather, waking up from suspend.
It wakes up alright and I can log in* but sometimes (1/3 times or so) the desktop is unresponsive and displaying varying parts of what was on the desktop. Usually I can move the cursor around but no response to my clicking around. Sometimes all windows open show but don't respond to mouseclicks, sometimes just a white screen with cursor available.
I not quite sure where I should turn my attention: display manager, window manager, kernel or something else... anyone got ideas on where I should look to identify the cause of this error? Or even better a solution for it...

*I can log in after changing the greeter to lightdm-gtk-greeter instead of lightdm-webkit2-greeter (default Antergos). With the webkit one I could usually not even log in.

TL:DR: desktop unresponsive/not showing after waking up from suspend on Thinkpad X220 with Antergos (GNOME)

I posted this a while ago, but never got a reply. I bought a used L412 recently, and it works great, but being used to having a numpad, this is kind of inconvenient, as it doesn't have one.
If I want to use its numpad, I have to do fn+f10 for numlock and then use its fn-key numpad. But this can be annoying if I have to use both numbers and keys on the right side of the keyboard. Is it possible to use it as a push combo, rather than a toggle thing?

I think maybe the graphics driver? Try putting in in suspend w/out running X. Otherwise it's probably the kernel. Try an older kernel version see if it works.

The x220 mSATA slot is SATA II not Sata III. So you're only going to get 300MB/s out of it (3 gigabit). That's plenty for me. Then you can keep the old laptop hdd in the hdd slot. Or get a cheap 2tb one or something.

is the normal HDD slot SATA III or II?

As says x220 mSATA is only SATAII. But(!) for me at least there seems to be no practical difference when comparing to my machines with SSDs on SATAIII. Sure, we might be talking something like cold boot taking 6 seconds instead of 5 and opening programs 0.6s instead of 0.5 but it is really of no practical difference.

In terms of power consumption the less devices the better. And SSDs consume less power than HDDs. As for SATA vs mSATA SSD it depends on what drive. Afair mSATAgenerally takes less power although the difference is neglible [citation needed - can't remember where I read it]
Regular drive bay is SATAIII

Could be graphics. Tried two different driver versions though and both show the same result. The system is still running just fine only without any windows etc.. I can change console (ctrl+alt+f1,2,3,etc.) without problems and the system responds to keystrokes even in the fucked graphical console which naturally doesn't SHOW the result of the keystrokes.

III

Looking for a small, but somewhat powerful laptop for photoshop with a wacom tablet, blender (nothing too high poly. I'll save that for my desktop), and some light gaming (nothing more demanding than Half Life 2). I found this on Best Buy's website

>X230
>12.5"
>Windows 10
>i5 3320M
>8GB RAM

$280 for the 320GB
$293 for the 500GB

Are these fair prices and will they get the job done? Is there anything better at that size for a similar price?

amazingly that seems to be what they go for on ebay. I would get one from ebay anyways just to have paypal and ebay buyer protection.

Get one without a HDD and put your own in.

Anyone?

it's a bit high of a price for an x230
you can usually get them for $250 on ebay pretty easily
Hell I got my t430 with dgpu, and backlit keyboard for $215 total

Easiest way to do it is probably to make custom 'shortcuts'.
Ei. FN+J = 1
There should be plenty of ways to achieve this no matter what OS you are using.

It looks like this would be impossible using XFCE's keyboard shortcut settings, since it's only for running commands or controlling the window manager.

Pretty gay but I don't think it'd really fuck you too bad. Might help you stand out as not just another prajeet

Update.
Started trawling through logs for errors and warnings and found
> [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *error* hangcheck timer elapsed... render ring idle

Which lead me to blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2014/11/30/i915-and-hangcheck-timer-elapsed-error/
Added the parameters found at thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics and so far so good. ~30 suspends and the error has not occurred yet.

Getting my used T460s today, got it for 800€ and it's a pretty basic config (i5, 192gb SSD that I'm gonna upgrade first thing, FHD screen). How bad did I fuck up?

A friend of mine needs a laptop for some specialized software, which reqires (higly recommended) Windows 10 to properly work.

Will i get any problems (no drivers etc.) running Windows 10 on T520?

Just fresh install and it'll play nice. Although I'm now reminded of the spectrometers in the lab I linger around which only like Windows XP talking to them (or CentOS for the NMR, top lel)

can buy a demo model of t460s
i5 6300u
8 ram
256 ssd
cop?

of course i forgot the price
it's 870 euros
that's kind of what you pay for these things in belgium

Still struggling with this if anyone has a clue.

Just bought pretty much exactly that, see Try looking in Germany and consider the T450s too, it has a removable battery and a 2.5" HDD bay. Thinking about it now, I probably should have gotten one of those. They're cheaper too, like 700€ for a decent one.

If there is driver support to get the data, Linux has your back.

I'm tempted to hold out until 2017 to see if they'll make that retro thinkpad that was blogged about into a reality. If they don't release it for the 25th anniversary then I'll just give up hope and buy a P50.

Why the hell would anyone buy chink Lenovo "thinkpad" instead of legit IBM thinkpad?
You can get both for the same price anyway.

thanks for the tip.
got a link? google only gives me 1500 euro models

You cant watch normieflix on a T30 user.

how do you like this x230t as a laptop?

Can you fit the guts of a Lenovo Thinkpad on an IBM Thinkpad case?

There's a bid of a t450 at 200€ tight now. What's the max money I should buy that for? I think that anything more than 400€ is too much.
It has 900p, i5 5300 2,3 (2,9) and a 128gb sdd. I'd add a 500gb/1tb hdd to it I guess.

>Heavy GPU on a really weak CPU that bottlenecks it
Why they keep doing this?

Are you guys able to push a 1440p external monitor with a T420?

Welp, it's the morning after, I tried to close the screen and the glue came right off, so it looks like I'll be ordering a replacement :(

$12 on ebay from china.
ebay.com/itm/New-For-IBM-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X61T-X60T-Tablet-PC-Laptop-LCD-Screen-Swivel-hinge-/221924169155

I can push 4K through DisplayPort in my T420s with no issues.

i recently bought a t430. which linux distribution should i install on it?

Guys, tell me if it's a good deal, there are like 4 hours left and I'm fighting with a friend to get it.

Just bought an x230 for $180 on ebay though i do have spare ram sticks on me. Virtually the same specs though.

Gentoo
Jk
Freebsd

It says 20V on the back of my thinkpad and on the AC adapter, but it says 11.1 V on the battery.
Is that ok?

Just got my first hp pavilion computer and I was wondering what games should I use?this is my first professional laptop with an amd video card.

will beats audio work with all the games?

forgot link
bestbuy.com/site/hp-beats-special-edition-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-a8-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-twinkle-black-vibrant-red-ash-silver/7018105.p?id=1219247543445

What's the next best thing if I'm from some country where the x220 isn't available?

I got it from amazon btw with office bundle

amazon.com/dp/B00SVIYB0I/ref=twister_B00SS4XVJW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I was looking at the MacBook but I can't run games on that so that maybe changes your opinion

how can I active windows btw?

>MacBook
That's even more overpriced here and Macs are for Fags.

As a female I consider your commentary racist

sjw spotted

whats up lads, I'm looking for an affordable laptop to use as a programming machine however im dickass poor. Which one would you recommend?

900p T400 for +- $100.

As a poorfag I need to use Photoshop/Illustrator, edit video and probably use a DAW and sound editing as well.

What thinkpad should I get? My budget would probably go up to 500€ (about 560 dollaroos)

>wanna buy egpu adapter
>EXP GDC on banggood backordered
>not a single seller sells them out of their us warehouse
>hwtools take a decade to ship
>duties out the fucking ass because of socialism.
I am fucking PISSED.

X200?

Is there any thinkpad with 15'6" and IPS screen? I can't stand TN panels

no

windows 7: Windows Loader
windows 8.1/10: KMS Pico

i got mine from gearbest

Guys, just got my x200 and the right mouse button is loose and it does not click. I can use it though. Can I fix it or should I buy a new keyboard?

What is more power hungry, an i7 processor or a quadro 1000m card?

well it depends, you can disable the quadro, you can't disable the i7

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a 170W power adapter (I have a 135W).
According to notebookcheck.com those two would require up to 90W.
Would you happen to know how much more maximum watts would the rest (like the screen, HDD, WiFi, fan and whatnot) require?
Would it exceed 135W?

I got a w520 witch should apparently come with a 170W adapter (the 135W should come with the w510).

donedeal.ie/laptops-for-sale/lenovo-thinkpad/13214258

what do you guys think this is?

I'm back after looking for shit in my area, heres what i came up with:

T410 Core i5 - 200 euro
T420 Core i5 - 230 euro
T420 14" 320GB,4GB (i3) - 200 euro
T420 3.2GHZ/4GB/SSD/ - 300
X220 - 250 euro

never owned a thinkpad before and i figured you could tell me which ones better.

I spent 150 freedom dollars on this
tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=4178-6vu

>see a thinkpad in class for the first time
>it belongs to a long and dirty haired fat neckbeard

At least he was wearing a shirt

>T420 14" 320GB,4GB (i3) - 200 euro
this one

Then replace the cpu for a quad core i7 and add an mSATA SSD.

Where do you get these processors?

this

ebay

And the rest of the specs?

Another important factor is the screen resolution.

>tfw the T420 comes in on monday

What should I expect as a first time thinkpad owner?

Don't these run really hot with low significantly reduced battery life?

uk and europe have retarded inflated prices compared to the US in pretty much everything, cars, motorcycles and everything else desu fuck these cucks

>Don't these run really hot
It's hit or miss really, some anons have reported housefire temps and others (myself included) get fine temps.

>significantly reduced battery life
Indeed the stock CPUs have a tdp of 35w and the quad cores have 45w but isn't an issue unless you're using 100% of the cpu all the time.

Hmmm, I think I'll wait to see what Lenovo says about this new retro before doing this. If there is no news by end of Q1 I just might. My T420 is acting a lot like a desktop replacement recently so I could use the added horsepower.

>I'll wait to see what Lenovo says about this new retro
It's lenovo, they're going to fuck it up somehow.

Deep down I probably know I'll be disappointed but I can't help but be a little excited.

For the T420? A garbage screen. Mine literally looks like it has film grain I don't think I have ever seen a cheaper TN panel

GUYS, 20 (twenty) minutes left. I need to know what would the max proce of that thing could be.

Unboxing time!

I'm waiting for 2017 to see if the retro is unveiled myself. I'm especially hoping for the latest Iris Pro graphics.

Skip the bullshit

nigga dis shit yellow

Is it new ?

Been looking at getting that myself although I must say I liked the old version a lot better.
Let us know how typing on it feels.

LESS THAN 4 MINUTES

i was thinking of buying this : ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-15-6-i7-4700MQ-2-4-GHz-16GB-1TB-HDD-25GB-SSD-Dual-750M-/272347967104?hash=item3f69342e80:g:lWAAAOSwgZ1XuNbx

Good enough or could i do better ?

>IdeaPad
might as well kill yourself right now m8

fuck it, well, I won it, 354€ total. It's "new" because it was given to a guy to test it or whatever.

Apparently yes

Very good, it doesn't feel like a Chiclet keyboard at all, almost the same as my t420s, but the location of prtscr button is odd. I too would have preferred the old model as well but it's too expensive and couldn't find one in my language's layout.

Sounds like a good deal to me

wait what

Are the keyboard and trackpoint still good on the E series?

Where should I get a replacement battery for my t420?

In my early modern England course there is a really fat nerdy filipino (i think) kid that comes in every day blasting shitty Japanese power metal though his shit headphones on some shitty android phone from Japan.

He comes in and knocks everyone else out of the way till he finds his seat and proceeds to open up his thinkpad with shitty manga as his desktop background with a bunch of rainmeter rice all over it

I don't care if there are millions of thinkpad users who are normal, this kid has ruined them for me.

You're fucking retarded.

naw but that kid was

i got mine from aliexpress

I'm sure best buy would refund me if they didn't send me the right laptop, though eBay does have more options.

Any specific reason I should get one without a HDD? I'm guessing hard drive failure? Maybe I should get one with a SSD and just spend a little more?

You're like one of those people back in the day that refused to drive mercedes cars since germans made them.

A raspberryPi would be pretty good, or even a decent smartphone with a type-c port to power a display.

I was being a bit facetious I would totally use a thinkpad if someone gave me one or I needed it for some specific thing.

I just wanted to post about how big of a sperglord was.

And I drive a merc

I feel you :

its weird man its not like theres anything inherently wrong or bad with them but it seems that at least in school the only people who have them are complete fucking nerds

Just got my new thinkpad.
is there a way to configure the middle mouse button to act as middle click unless you're holding it? it works like that on my older thinkpad, but it's running linux.

You described 90% of my university desing and arts students.

I tops have a 2hu background and never listen music.
I would never play or see weeb stuff at all in school.

If it wasn't for Cred Forums or these threads I personally wouldn't associate them with this kind of people, it still has this business feel to it.

Unlike a MSI or a RoG computer, people who bring those to class are always sperglords

Is the x220 with the i7 2.8 worth it? I read that that power consumption is too high for the performance increase or something like that. Is that true?

Not him but what happens if for any number of reasons you lose internet access? It seems like local VM's have the edge in that point.

Also just curious, what do you use, vnc?

Whenever you type and need to move the mouse for whatever reason, use the trackpoint. You'll notice how much faster your work will be when your fingers never leave the keyboard.

>Are the keyboard and trackpoint still good on the E series?
Yes, one of the few Thinkpad quality features on the Exxx.

My E6400 lost its hard drive recently, and I decided that I'd be nice and buy it an SSD.

It originally had an 80GB hard drive, and I don't think I'll need much more than that; this will be almost entirely a word processing/basic web machine for school.

What's the best option in the $50-70 price range? I have my eye on the Crucial MX300 240GB model, but I've heard mixed things about the quality of Crucial recently.

I spilled water on my Lenovo Edge E431. after two weeks, it starts with no further issue, but it won't power up from the charger. Anyone knows what can I do?

I tried this
ccm.net/forum/affich-710454-my-lenovo-laptop-won-t-start-power

>"I suggest you try the hard boot process:
>1. remove the battery and disconnect the charger
>2. push and hold down the power button for 30 seconds
>3. replace the battery and power cord
>4. start the laptop normally "

It didn't work.

The other option is to open it and disconnect the HDD. But I don't want to open it unless nothing else can be done.

Any ideas?

micron (crucial) is a good, and reliable company.
but for cheap I'd go with an 850/750 evo

Put it in rice for a week

I'm using my new T420 since yesterday and I need to say that if I would have a chance to travel in time to the day I was ordering it I would choose it again.
It's a nice upgrade from my old PC and keyboard is awesome to type and the price was low as fuck without ssd and with 8gb ram.
Thank you Cred Forums for the meme I have fallen for.

I forgot to admit that I still don't know what distro of GNU/Linux should I install I have too slow Internet connection for distro hopping.

Try fedora.

The people who develop it actually have reasons to do it well.

If new to linux, try ubuntu.

If control-freak but sane, Antergos

Antergos

I'm not new in linux aswell. Have been using few distros before but before I install something I walk around the room for few days with mind completely drown in various possibilities.

I don't think it will work

>lainchin
bassett

Well the good thing about linux is that, you can run whatever, regardless of the distro.

Have you tried arch based distros? Antergos is fine.

Which DE do you like?

why not debian? I started with it, and it was awesome!

Now I use LMDE, because I like the mate desktop.

just take them off and quit being retarded

Actually I didn't used it before and that's a good reason to give it a chance. I used to have wm only because of my slow pc.
Spent with debian about a year or two. Too many things to write why I wouldn't choose it again. Especially I had too many dependencies bugs on all three releases.

I wish some company put modern spec components into such a qt little bugger. I love blocky computers.

>not used to the mouse clit tho. how do i make the must use of it?
Turn off the touchpad in BIOS and force yourself to use it. After just a couple days you won't look back.

Nigga those niggas are $100 a pop while literally every other laptop panel is $50 or less

Look at the big stickers.

If it says lenovo on it it's most likely legit

Certified freedom is really slow and has awful driver support.

You can disable the adaptive brightness but only on the QHD panels (not FHD)

This is why you don't put stickers on your laptop.

Even if you take them off they're going to leave distracting darker silhouettes of what once was there.

You already fucked up.

>display manager
This is only the login screen. Not likely.
>kernel
Doesn't handle output or drawing windows or any of that shit.
>window manager
Most likely culprit, in addition to drivers or any compositor (such as compton)

What is the logo with the dots above lain?

Try seeing if you're eligible for Lenovo's free recall before looking anywhere else

support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/hf004122

On linux it does that right out of the box for me.

On windows just look for tpmiddle.exe on the google and throw it in your startup folder

Antergos, has many options for you

I recommend the community i3 version of it
The XFCE version is also very nice

pls respond

its usually cheaper

hey famiglia what is this slot for? it's above the HDD plastic cover. I found nothing in the manual

it's a T420s

Aliexpress like anyone decent would

>tfw just ordered a T61 9-cell battery
>tfw considering ordering an ultrabay battery too

something that you will never need to use ever.

Is 12.5" too small for programming? Should I rather go with 14" for more comfiness?

Thanks but judging by your answer you know as much as I do about it.

Go 14" definitely. I would argue that you could go even futher up from that but 14" is in my mind a perfect mixture of portability and usefulness.

I ordered an X220T because of you faggot Thinkpad shills. Let's hope it lives up to the meme

I actually know what it is though.

we got another one lads

Why won't my computer play sound when I press the unmute button on my thinkpad
x201 running xfce on openSUSE
the volume control says it's unmuted, but the speakers won't play any sound

It worked played on my headphones. Until I hit the mute/unmute button on the keyboard again. Now the headphones and the speakers won't play sound, even if the mute/unmute button is pressed

>open
found the problem
depends on what you are doing
if you are doing some real programming any laptop screen is too small and you are going to want a 1440p 25" screen minimum

Just found out
It's just the fucking mixer
buggy PoS

But you don't.

But i do.

unless you work for the government you probably wont ever need it

But you don't.

Nor do you apparently.

if you don't even know what it's called then you most likely will never need it before something better comes out

Why does my T520 smell like horse shit?

But I do. I just dont feel like spoonfeeding.

It's a smart card reader. Now you guys know too.

All you had to do is ask...

GOD DAMMIT MY THINKPAD SMELLS LIKE HORSE SHIT, YOU FUCKED ME Cred Forums

this is why you never buy stuff from bronies.

>he fell for the thinkpad meme
lmao

I think I have isolated the smell, it was the worst around my HDD compartment, so I took it out and sniffed it and then I sniffed the whole thinkpad again.
It's those rubber things on the sides of the hard drive. They smell like literal horse shit.

T420 on offer with 14-inch screen, i5 2.52 GHZ, 4GB RAM, and with a 320GB HDD (I'll be adding a SSD) for £150 ($195).

Would you say this is a good deal? Need a laptop to work on for my PhD.

fuck PulseAudio

I already knew what it is, I use one every day
you will most likely never need it unless you work for the government

#!/bin/bash

amixer -q -D pulse sset Master toggle

set the mute button to cause this script to run. or just switch to ALSA, it works fine on it.

The picture you posted already has a numpad. If you look closely there are numbers beneath letters j, k, l. You can use those keys as a numpad if you toggle the numlock.

I think it might be because ALSA and PulseAudio are both on at the same time

Is there anywhere you can get one of those kits for upgrading the t430/20's screen to FHD anymore?

So today the screen of my X200s died, quickly switched to my W500 as i figure out what to do.

so the mute button unmutes the master mixer, but it doesn't unmute whatever speaker (headphones or laptop speaker) that PulseAudio is using

How's the tablet functionality on the x220t? Does it work well with Windows 8/10 tablet modes?

especially if you get a later model x220 it works great with the windows touch screen stuff
but using windows on a touch screen is god awful.
The only thing it's good for is browsing the web in bed

That's about standard price. If you look around you can probably find something lower, but I'd take that price.

Lads, how long do you last on your thinkpad batteries?
I'm running at around 3h20m idle/around 2h when doing stuff on my x220 with i3 and tlp fullt charged (battery max cap is at around 80% currently), but I feel like it should be lasting a bit longer.
Am I doing something wrong?

world.taobao.com/item/520044762973.htm
get me one too. I'll pay for mine of course

wait nevermind, i'm blind

That's all I want it for desu. If I can get a tablet model for the same price as a normal x220, I'm gonna go for it.

my t420 gets about 7-10 hours lightly browsing the web, and about 13 hours with the 9 cell @ 85%, battery, win 7, and lenovo power manager.
t430 gets 3-4 with a battery at 56% also with w7 and power manager.
how much is that in a real currency?
unless it's like $75 I don't think I'd trust the chinks with my sheckles for anything too much more or less

Turn off touchpad. Give yourself a day

Am I only restricted to 2.5'' (7mm) SSDs for my X230?

What?

Can always just ditch the ssd and go full msata for reduced weight and power consumption.

you can put an msata in there too
and you can get a 9mm drive in, it's just getting them out that's really hard without taking the whole thing apart.

fuck, then I don't know what it is
what settings should I look into?

a new official 9 cell

I'm considering that, obviously, but it still shouldn't be running that bad

Don't use linux

But then I'd have to buy Windows 10 separately, wouldn't I?

the key is on the bottom of the laptop, or under the battery

>vnc?
only for deployment on a local network or IPMI management if something goes wrong, it's garbage
>lose internet access
my secure connection to the server is set to reestablish automatically without re authentication so I preserve my sessions

This is trivial to set up on a good OS

Can one of you Cred Forumsents help me out with this? I got a T420 recently and installed Windows 10. (I know, I know) I can't get this shit to go away in the device manager.

I looked up the vendor/device code and it looks like the description is Intel AMT. I figured this would make it go away, but it didn't. support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds037750

install the intel management firmware thing on the downloads page for the t420

forgive me for the stupid question, but does it matter if an ebay seller isn't a microsoft authorized refurbisher? they have 100% feedback if that helps.

Why cant i find the fingerprint drivers fro my x61t on windows 7?

This is the page I have bookmarked for T420 drivers, but I don't see Intel anything there. Wat do?

support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T420?query=&Shallow=1&Type=&OperatingSystems=&Component=&Symptom=&tabName=Downloads&linkTrack=Mast:SubNav:Support:Drivers and Software|Drivers and Software&beta=false

Any recommended eBay seller in Europe for T420 batteries?

you have to install the windows 7 64 bit version
gooknovo doesn't like to update their drivers, even when all they have to do is say that it supports windows 7/8/8.1/10
avoid refurbished shops ideally
don't pay the $100 refurbished "fee" on a device that's $200
as long as it says that the device is used and working ebay will bend over backwards to fuck over the seller for you
lenovo

if you have to have a refurbished computer make sure it's manufacturer certified

Hi, I was just given a very old ThinkPad 760ELD. Before I came home (I was sitting on a park bench when I did this) I started inspecting it, and next thing I knew I was jumping back as baby cockroaches started crawling out the back of the machine!

I had already been suspicious there might be dead roaches inside - I'd asked the guy if he'd had a roach problem in the past because I saw a couple warning signs. He said he'd had an exterminator come in, so I was more or less bracing myself for it.

Anyway, I got a black trashbag from a nearby shop and it's now sitting in my freezer. I know they're probably just hibernating in there, though.

I don't wanna throw out the machine (I've got brand new OS/2 Warp 3.0 CD-ROM boxes I'd like to use, and this thing's got a really neat keyboard), but I also don't want a roach infestation. So I'm wondering: If I first (in my driveway or somewhere else outside) pulled the battery & HDD out of the laptop and then dropped the laptop in a big bucket of water, would I be able to drown the roaches?

I'll be taking the computer completely apart and scrubbing it clean of roach-shit afterwards, of course. I'm just wondering if:
a) this will kill them.
b) this will kill the laptop.

In the past I rescued a VIC-20 from water that leaked through a warehouse roof and stunk of sulfur. It still works to this day after a thorough cleaning, so I kind of doubt this is a problem.

Also, I recently wrecked my car, so driving it to a pest control place is not an option for me. I'm in America, so bike accessibility is basically non-existant.

Anyone know, or have better ways to kill these motherfuckers without drawing a ton of attention from the other people living with me? I don't want them panicking about roaches since I've got them contained in a plastic bag, and have the backpack that I brought the laptop home in also in a plastic bag.

Not my pic, mine looks disgusting ATM.

Also, anyone got a four-pin charger or know a good cheap place to find one?

One of those Win 7 intel downloads fixed it. Thanks!

>home/end/insert/delete/pageUp/PageDown not clustered
>not bullshit
kek.

>raspberry pi
No, that's NOT good, by definition.
Maybe a beagleboard X15 or something. ti.com/tool/TMDSEVM572X

Still not a PC-compatible, unfortunately, but after using a Nexus 6 with a debian chroot I actually have standards for ARM computers. A RPi doesn't cut it.

Maybe a good smartphone, but the lack of uHDMI output on most of them means a SBC is infinitely preferable.

Oh also I let the guy know he had roaches in his attic, so he's calling in a different exterminator now.

I really want these things dead and am in no rush at all to get the laptop itself working.

Get some gloves and open that shit up somewhere outside preferably.

Yup. That's a thing.

I read you can only do so if you use windows.

newegg got em homie

Yeah, I asked about opening it up on my driveway and dunking it in a tub of water to drown the motherfuckers and any eggs.

convince me to not buy a P50

[spoiler]I'm a manchild and I want to do light gaming, hence the dgpu.[/spoiler]

Minecraft doesn't require a dedicated GPU these days.

There is a teeny tiny chance that Lenovo may not cuck us with retro.

Please respond

Might as well wait for new generation desktop GPUs to sneak in there

inb4 its cucked with the windows only soft raid like the pooinloo yoga

'windows-only soft raid'?

From someone who hasn't bought a new laptop since 2007, what is this about?

it only seems to be on like 1 or 2 models of the consumer yoga
no thinkpads are affected (yet) and no thinkpads that Cred Forums cares about will be affected.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T420-2-6ghz-Core-i5-6GB-320gb-14-dvdrw-WIN7PRO-Great-Condition-/252527570550?hash=item3acbd0ee76:g:YsoAAOSw9IpXziIw

Doesn't fucking matter either way. If they have good reputation, take them up on it.

"unauthorized" servicers are the ones that will replace individual failed components instead of entire motherboards. They are (usually) the clever ones.

(BTW I'm a computer engineer)

Thanks. Yet more reason to stick with older ThinkPads and Dell Latitudes.
(The D630 is an amazing little laptop, too!)

anyone having issues with the power manager? after a windows update it stopped functioning, any suggestions?

So, I'm debating whether to buy the X220 or a T420. The T420 is taking my fancy due to the larger screen, but also the X220 might be easier to take on the train with me, which I do regularly. Are there any known issues with either laptop, or is there some sort of infographic I can refer to? Many thanks in advance.

For the 70th time: depends on your need. If you want to use the laptop for everything, get BLAZEITFAGGOT, if you want something comfy for lighter work where screensize does not matter that much (reading and writing* stuff) an want portability, go X220.
If you are not a manlet and STRONK go get a 15.6+" though. Screen size DOES make work much more convenient.
*Yes, I know when writing (especially programming) it is handy to have as much as possible of your previous work ready at the screen.

Yeh, same problem here. Old model costs $150 or so here. More than I have to spend on a keyboard right now.
When my trusty current keyboard dies I have some ideas though.
1: 'make my own' keyboard. Ei. taking a regular keyboard and mod it to have trackpoint etc. like I saw some other folks do
2: find a replacement oldschool keyboard and build a case for it + do some tinkering to get it working as a USB device.
3: repair that Rollermouse I have in a box somewhere and just use that + some random keyboard I will probably find in a dumpster.

Anyone else loves and hates that small bit of satisfaction when your girlfriend compliments your X220 and calls it a nice little cute thing but then goes on to saying that she still prefers her Mac?
Ofc. then I asked if I should do a hackintosh install OSX on the X220 and she called me an idiot :(

Yeah thanks man, gonna go get the Bob Marley. What RAM do you use? I'm thinking just anything 16GB will be fine, regardless of brand.

What do you mean? Speed? Brand? Quantity? What?

i mean as long as it's 1333 or 1600mhz you will be good.
power manager is working fine for me on my t420 and t430
it doesn't say anything about a dgpu, so it probably doesn't have one.
although the task bar looks pretty small so it may at least be 1600x900, but I wouldn't expect it.

I wouldn't risk to dunk it in a tub of water, just open it and be sure to clean it up really well, then maybe wait and see if something strange comes up again.

I literally mentioned in the post that I was talking about brand, but I could've been clearer. I guess brand doesn't really matter in laptops?

If you wanna go into semantics then you also mentioned quantity mate...

As for brands, well, sometimes a compny has earned their reputation for a good reason, other times it's just people shilling without any real reason.
I wouldn't bother too much with getting the 'right' brand but on the other hand I would probably not go for the cheapest, no-name, chinkshit I could find. Someone more into 'good' brands will have to do the actual recommendation(s) as I simply don't really care about brands. I usually just look into my big box of parts collected over the years and hope I can find something that works and fits. Eg. I tink my 8560W has 3 different models of RAM modules in it (3x4) but my X220 has two of the same as I happened to have two identical modules lying around.

Which thinkpad has an IPS screen?

Im looking for a big screen, a good batery life and if possible a thunderbolt connector

i kinda wanna update from x201 to x220

where do i find a cheap one?

Noone help this guy please. If he is too stupid to find out himself where to look a good machine is wasted on him.
'There are no stupid questions' is something only really stupid people say.

im asking to see if people know other better offers than the ones on ebay/craigslist/gumtree/etc

kys my man

Dont tell people to kys themselfs

That might have been what you meant but it was not what you asked. Rephrase your question,then try again.

Yeah nah, how about you go fuck yourself bitch

How is the Thinkpad 13? Never hear any mentions of it.
On sale for $1000(AUD) atm, 6200u/8GB/FHD/256SSD. Way better than anything in that price range here.

Reddit likes it I guess. Why do you have to post that butt? This is a sfw board in a laptop general. it just makes it way more awkward to open in public.
It has nothing to do with your post itself

>browsing Cred Forums in public
you deserve it

Yeah well, with that attitude you can forget about any help from me at least.
Go fuck a landmine my special little snowflake.

>he actually consider Cred Forums to have any safe SFW boards

Why? Whats wrong with browsing Cred Forums in public?

Why is the x220T so much cheaper than the x220?

cause they're so much SHITTIER

I found a really sweet deal on a T450(i5 5300, 8gb Ram), but the battery is dead(works around 2h). The deal is 500$, is it worth buying and then replacing the battery ?

Just google how much is the battery and do the maths dumbass

I just wanted to ask that, I've seen one sticker without the dots, just squares in that pattern. It reminded me of a glider for the Conways game of life but maybe its a logo for something as well.

I don't see why they'd care

Where do you have the SO ones from?

Just curious, what's the average battery life of your laptop? How many hours on a full charge?

Is it worth buying a T61 for a shitposting machine?

hey Cred Forums, been gone for a while, what are the best old dirt cheap Ts and Xs (or other thinkpads)? I'm talking

>2571x704
lol, it's going to happen isn't it

Whats the best replacement trackpad sticker I can get for a T430?

>tfw power down my hdd to run on msata ssd
>battery estimate immediately increases by 2 hours
Why aren't there terabyte msata ssd's yet?

Because mSATA is deprecated, got replaced by M2 so there is no reason.

Also there are 1TB mSATA SSDs.
See 850 EVO.

>T430 is cheaper than T420
>x201 is more expensive than a x230
Fuck weird prices.

memed out and bought a T420, anything i should look out for while setting up? seems to be a clean w10 install aside from a "lenovo recovery" partition

Anything wrong with the T450 that one should know about?

trying to get a response. Which models have IPS panel by default?

You should look out for if it has windows on it.