How to set up a background pattern in Linux?

How to set up a background pattern in Linux?
I used to do that in Windows but since I switched to Linux I never saw a solution to that.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Wallpaper_setters
fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/tileimage/index.php
libpng.org/pub/png/pnghist.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>draw 16x16 bitmap of pattern
>set as tiled wallpaper

feh --bg-tile file.png

That'd be too lazy way.

Install windows 10.

/thread

what do you think windows does?

If you like fun terminal programs, you can try schemer2.
It can take the colors from terminal config files but also pictures, where it figures out the most prominent colors.
And it can output either some terminal config files or newly generated pictures with some specified patterns

Windows certainly doesn't convert its templates to PNG since they existed years before PNG appeared.

that is one simple command to do that

alternatives are listed here
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Wallpaper_setters
never mind the archwiki, they work for all GNU/Linux™

fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/tileimage/index.php

You might find that helpful.

Holy shit, I miss that UI.

Then again, these are images, not system renered pattern.

Are you sure about that ?

>The Story of PNG actually begins way back in 1977 and 1978 when two Israeli researchers, Jacob Ziv and Abraham Lempel, first published a pair of papers on a new class of lossless data-compression algorithms, now collectively referred to as ``LZ77'' and ``LZ78.'' Some years later, in 1983, Terry Welch of Sperry (which later merged with Burroughs to form Unisys) developed a very fast variant of LZ78 called LZW. Welch also filed for a patent on LZW, as did two IBM researchers, Victor Miller and Mark Wegman. The result was...you guessed it...the USPTO granted both patents (in December 1985 and March 1989, respectively).
>The very first PNG draft--then called ``PBF,'' for Portable Bitmap Format-- was posted by Tom to comp.graphics, comp.compression and comp.infosystems.www.providers on Wednesday, 4 January 1995. It had a three-byte signature, chunk numbers rather than chunk names, maximum pixel depth of 8 bits and no specified compression method, but even at that stage it had more in common with today's PNG than with any other existing format.
libpng.org/pub/png/pnghist.html

xsetroot

check the man page for full options

i like this
xsetroot -mod 4 4 -fg grey20 -bg black

fucking rekt

>-mod 4 4
How does -mod option work?

What the fuck is wrong with you, faggot?

try it, it puts a XY grid pattern on your desktop like this

He said bitmap, not PNG
Guess what a bitmap is

the -mod option works with those two numbers, the 4 4 is the distances between the horizontal and vertical lines, you can adjust them and change the pattern, try 2 2 or 2 3 or 2 4 or any combination from 1 through 9 like 3 6 or whatever you want

Show me them, please.

why not use the bucket tool