/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash/Prompt_customization#Colors
gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
asmodean.reverse.net/pages/exiga.html
github.com/richman-stallard/webm-by-dbt
aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf-google-fonts-git/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/cliweather-git/
github.com/stark/siji
dotshare.it/category/info/conky/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Risks_of_reformatting
aur.archlinux.org/packages/wps-office/
forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/512720-Can-I-have-openSUSE-Leap-42-1-with-plasma-4-instead-of-plasma-5
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/devedition-theme-enabler/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
userstyles.org/styles/108648/custom-window-controls
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881
fedoraproject.org/wiki/List_of_Fedora_remixes#Current
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Trying to setup a d2550 itx board as a Linux pc. Every distro has horrible gpu drivers, most of them think the pc has an internal display and it's annoying as hell.

How do I disable LVDS1 on boot?

On Manjaro, I try to transfer files to a USB stick or external drive and it tells me that the transfer completed, but when I try to access the file on another computer, the second computer reads the file as corrupt or at a smaller file size than from the original source. I don't touch anything during the transfer and the file size reads "correctly" on Manjaro, but completely changes when read on the second computer.

How do I go about fixing this? I'm not sure what's causing it or what would cause it. It even happened when I didn't have any programs running.

Who's this semen demon?

What file manager?

>Qupzilla using KDialog
>Chromium won't

How can I fix this?

Anyone at home with encryption programs?
If I use Cryptkeeper to encrypt some folders on linux, will I be able to decrypt them on windows with winrar?

>GNU/Linux

Marie Claude Bourbonnais

Nice cups.

Stop using the botnet browser.

Anyone else had pacman fuck up their mkinitcpio.conf again?

Had it two days ago. There I was, happily running pacman -Syu on my autism OS, when after a reboot it couldn't mount my cryptpartitions anymore. Fuck you arch cunts, for overwriting my kernel hooks.

>cryptpartitions
Dangerously close to pebkac

What is wrong with encrypting your files? Honestly, no update should blindly overwrite config files, especially not the ones that determine how your system boot.

>What is wrong with encrypting your files?
Nothing, is being retarded.

pacman hasn't touched my mkinitcpio.conf in the 4 years i've used it

I'm saying there's a possibility that you didn't setup your encryption properly.

Dolphin. It was the default manager it came with.

Is it possible to use openVPN so that for example Cred Forums.org, some other hosts and IRC traffic don't use the VPN while everything else does? I know literally nothing of networking, please hold my hand

Is it possible to adjust the colors in the terminal? I am not talking about the terminal emulator, but the actual console you have if you don't have a desktop enviroment installed. The white text on black background is a bit tiresome.

sure you can wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash/Prompt_customization#Colors

Firefox and Tor keep crashing randomly since yesterday. Mostly when i try to watch a video.
I'm using Debian jessie

see if more recent drivers might fix it
also why do you use a server operating system for your desktop? switch to packages that aren't three years old at least.

>server operating system
wut

It's possible, but cumbersome, since OpenVPN is just a secure tunneling, filtering should be done mainly by the OS aka iptables.
VM's/containers solve this problem easily since you can designate per interface that way.

But to answer
allow-pull-fqdn
route www.domain.com 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

Or similar, depending on your setup, you need the "allow-pull-fqdn" for hostnames to work instead of IP's. Note it will only filter the _first_ result of the DNS query IIRC

if i built my own C/C++ library and want to install it systemwide, where do i put it?
also, does linux libs typically provide static, shared or both versions of themselves?

How do you set up the PATH for use in the X environment when X is started through a systemd unit? I have only seen starting X using startx at the end of .bash_profile.

on a desktop computer you usually want your packages to be up-to-date more than you want them to be stable.
have a look at a few version numbers if you want and see there is software installed which is three years behind the current version.

debian sid is another story, but debian stable is definetly meant for servers.

What's a good distro to replace Windows XP on a Thinkpad T42?

Linux Lite

I recompiled GTK2 and now my gtk themes in the xfce appearance settings don't work properly. What did I do wrong?

Why did you recompile it?

gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
To get this patch

I'm new to linux and have a few questions:

1. I use these commands frequently
youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -b:v 1M -an {}-converted.webm; rm {}' 'URL'

youtube-dl -x --embed-thumbnail --audio-format mp3 'URL'

Do I just add alias="command" to ~/.bashrc

2. Are there decent front-end applications for ffmpeg?

3. I've got my OS partitions like this
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 255M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 29.3G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 432.5G 0 part /home
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.8G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

If I want to install a newer version without deleting my home is it possible?
And how to backup/Create snapshot of my system in case I want to migrate to new HDD?

Why should I use Linux?
I'm not poor and I don't use my computer for anime playback only.

Serious question.

it is fun

So there's not a reason outside the "freedom" and post your desktops?

I find the workflow easier. Installing a program is just a command rather than a google and an installation process.

>Do I just add alias="command" to ~/.bashrc
use 'single quotes'
"double quotes" can be escaped with a \ and that might ruin your expression.
>2. Are there decent front-end applications for ffmpeg?
there are attempts, but ffmpeg's functions are simply too many to provide that one very special thing you sometimes want to do in a way that's not a visual clusterfuck.

also yes you can just drag along your home partition to new OSes if you want to distrohop
be sure to mount it correctly though.

It's faster, in windows you plug your mouse and wait for (((drivers))), then unplug same mouse and plug to another USB port and again wait for (((drivers))).
Defects of windows:
file manager don't have tabs, you can't open selected file with spacebar, crappy music players, crappy terminals, you can't quickly update all programs (you must install chocolatey on windows), virtual desktops only on latest versions of windows, partition letters start from C, less filesystems, applications on windows 10 are unfunny joke (just bunch of crappy tablet games), bad configurability.

>youtube-dl --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -c:v libvpx -b:v 1M -an {}-converted.webm; rm {}' 'URL'
use a function
function ytvp8conv {
youtube-dl --format bestvideo --exec 'ffmpeg -i {} -map 0:v:0 -c:v libvpx -b:v 1M {}-converted.webm; rm {}' "${1}"
}
(i've made a few adjustments, telling youtube-dl not to download audio, since you're discarding it, and also use -map 0:v:0 to pick only the first video, rather an -an, so you don't end up with possible subtitles in the output, which i imagine is what you want)

>2. Are there decent front-end applications for ffmpeg?
your terminal

>If I want to install a newer version without deleting my home is it possible?
yes

>And how to backup/Create snapshot of my system in case I want to migrate to new HDD?
consider clonezilla

I have no reason for using Windows.

I'm using Linux for 8 years now, and most of the time i had it dual boot with some Windows.
I had Windows because i played games, and i needed some autodesk applications. Last few years i dont play games and i dont use autocad/inventor, so i got no reason for using it.

All i need it text editor, ide, firefox and mpv. All that i have on Linux and it works better then on Windows.

I want to impregnate those fake tits

>also yes you can just drag along your home partition to new OSes if you want to distrohop
>be sure to mount it correctly though.
Where I can learn more about this?
Thanks senpai.
Why a function though?

>Why a function though?
more flexible
you can put multiple lines in them, like regular shell scripts, plus you can put the arguments wherever you like

that particular command will be fine as an alias, mind
alias name="command"
arguments are appended

Are you using AMD card? Try disable hardware acceleration in firefox.

How do you convert *.s file to a more readable format like *.txt?

what format is the *.s file?

You cannot go wrong with cryptsetup, m8. Only thing I changed was setting the keysize and hashsize to higher value for more security.

I've been using arch for a few months now.
How do you install fonts?
On debian I simply moved it to ~/.fonts and then run fc-cache.
But the arch wiki says it's deprecated.
The fonts are not available in the arch repo nor the AUR.
The fonts are more than likely to never get updated too, and I'd like them separated from the default fonts in case I want to delete it.
Do I have to create a package? or just move the fonts to ~/usr/share/fonts/

I used this tool from asmodean.reverse.net/pages/exiga.html to extract script.iga (from a visual novel ) to a number of *.s files but I don't know what to do next with them.

Cred Forumsents,

I need help with remapping Left Win key to Control key.

I currently have this snippet in my .Xmodmap file:

$ cat ~/.Xmodmap
!Command-L --> Control
remove Mod4 = Super_L
add control = Super_L

While it kinda does work, there are some issues with this mapping. When I press Left Win key, in some applications like Firefox, when I press it inside of a text box, it's as if the box loses focus. This does not happen when I press the regular left Control key.

I've tried setting Left Win key to Control in Cinnamon and Gnome keyboard panels and when I do it there, the mapping is perfect.

What's the proper way to remap Left Win key so it's acting like a Control key (I don't care about swapping and don't care about the right Win key)?

Thanks for any help.

Literally in the words before it says it is deprecated it tells you where to install them.

>Try to use KDE again on arch after using it on debian
>"maybe it isn't a buggy fucking mess"
>Fucking panel autohide is borked and doesn't work

I can't even say I'm fucking surprised at this point. Like, I'm just fucking used to it.

Anybody have a fix?

Sorry
I meant ~/.local/share/fonts not ~/usr/share/fonts/.
Let me rephrase, is it better to create a package, or just move it to ~/.local/share/fonts

>Can't reply to the OP anymore

epic

What's the bug? Seems to be work here in Neon but I don't really use that feature so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Just keep it in ~/.local/share/fonts, that way it will always be there no matter which distro you use or if you have to reinstall. For small things like fonts, especially if they are not updated any more, there's no point in creating a package really.

Thanks.
Arch is nice but the package creation is a little bit intimidating.
Espacially since I don't know what these fonts will provide.

The taskbar doesn't autohide even when set.

That's weird, works perfectly for me.
Do you have the info Kinfocenter, what does it say?

looking for a cheap laptop to run linux and code on, any recommendations?

can someone help me get installed i3-gaps?

i downloaded i3 and have it working and running but when i actually get i3-gaps-git from the AUR makepkg -s then edit my .config i'm getting errors?

>gnu/linux
Why not Free Software /thread?

Why Gentoo?
>no systemd
>no glibc
>no gcc
>no nano, no vim, no emacs, no gedit
>no dhcpcd, no networkManager
>no Xorg
I use a VeloxWM as desktop, only Wayland, no xwayland even.

Do you think we are psychic?

Please stop spamming.

>2016
>using Userspace graphic driver
Install Wayland nigga.

I recently made a quick terminal frontend where you just chuck in start time, length, resolution and file name and it spits out a webm conforming to Cred Forums standards. Also makes a logfile for when you're making multiple clips per video. Check it out.
github.com/richman-stallard/webm-by-dbt

>wayland
>no de/wm support
>have to install x11 anyway for support
>no programs nativily support wayland

Yeah no

>try arch
>import my bash aliases
>try to run one of them (python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080)
>ERROR
>try to figure out what went wrong
>turns out Arch's python link points to python3 instead of python2
>try python2 -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080
>everything works as usual
Do I really need to fix all my scripts and expect random programs to fail because Arch needs to act like a special snowflake? I already reget installing it...

what do you mean?

>2016
>i3
Deprecated.
Use Sway.

It's fully working system, you can use what you want, Gentoo just gives you more freedom.

You could just relink python to python2, no idea if it breaks other things tho.

>trying to install something
>I get errors
>what can the problem be guyz?
How the hell do we know?

okay i'm redownloading my arch linux today because i messed up the install but i'll look into this. thank you.

>he fell for the arch meme
why are people installing it again?

>>no de/wm support
KDE, GNOME, Sway, Motorcar, Velox, Hawaii, Enlightenment, Orbment, etc.
>>have to install x11 anyway for support
No, you don't have.
>>no programs nativily support wayland
No, there is many software for Wayland.

Do workspaces work fine in Unity-flavored Ubuntu 16.04.1?

I've been trying to get them set up in a VM and the dock icon isn't appearing.

Also as a bonus, Breeze-Dark is borked too. At first it wasn't applying to Dolphin, but after reinstalling it works on everything except the titlebar.

But yeah, he's the issue. Things are just going behind it rather than the bar autohiding itself. And setting it to any of the other options doesn't work either (like windows can go above it)

It's pretty frustrating, really. I know it isn't a dual monitor issue because I ran it on debian and never had this issue. (And I Just disabled my other monitor to make sure.)

I also can't believe that having MATE installed would fuck with anything, either.

>xorg-server-xwayland
>When you want to run an X application from within Weston, it spins up Xwayland to service the request.
No.

Show me 10 full featured programs that dont support x11 in any way
you simply cannot

i3 is shit

That is strange, maybe create a new user and log in with that to see if it's some stray config somewhere in your home. I don't think the problems you're experiencing are normal though.

Post the errors you dip.

Weston, KDE, GNOME, MPV, EPIPHANY, MIDORI, etc.

said who? i'm reinstalling arch today so then i'm getting i3-gaps working hopefully.

i'm getting pretty fucking pissed off man. like i said i downloaded it from the aur chown of folder makepkg -s it compiled it successfully. then when i edited my .config to include -

gaps inner 10
gaps outer 20

i restarted x and got errors.

there's no error
he's just yet another dumb arch user

>arch
>newfriends never learn
When you're finished fixing your python problem, take a look at
ls -l /bin/sh and cry. :^)

Please read my past post before this one, and try harder

>Marie Claude Bourbonnais
baloontits

>i restarted x and got errors.
Jesus christ, tell us what the fucking errors are numbskull. How do you expect us to know what the problem is if you don't tell us what the errors are? Errors are output for a reason.

literally my second day using linux. i'm just trying to get a wm that i actually like so i can customize it then start working.

i3-gaps seemed like the best one to me.

>last thread 404'd
>linucks need to use boobs to sell their looser thread
as lincuck, I say thanks

POST THE FUCKING ERRORS YOU ARE GETTING

"I GOT ERRORS GUISE BUT NOT WHEN DOING THAT"

SERIOUSLY DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW RETARDED YOU'RE SOUNDING RIGHT NOW IS THIS FUCKING BAIT HOLY SHIT

@56729498
Go fuck yourself

Sex sells.
>pic related

dude the errors are literally config file errors pointing to the line that says -

gaps inner 10
gaps outer 20

>still no pepper in OP

>@56729498
>@
The fuck is this shit nigga?

POST YOUR ERRORRRRRRRRRRRRRS

Tried deleting some config files, no luck.

I can't really just uproot and make a new user because of my weird ass xorg setup + driver setup, at least not right before class.

I might just piss with manjaro or something - not that I have any real issues with arch but I'm just curious to give it a shot.

Any good recommendations on nice looking terminals and file managers? I use Xfce Terminal and Thunar at the moment but want something "clean".

He's gotta work harder for that (You)

So what? Are the errors saying "Config file error" and then listing those lines, or what?

I struggle to believe that when you go to type startx, all that pops up is

gaps inner 10
gaps outer 20

I WANT to help man. I really fucking do, but you're making it a real pain in the ass.

Install Gentoo, alternativly use the programs I'm using. In case you're wondering which programs these are: The best.

Which is better at handling doc(x) files?
WPS or LibreOffice?
I noticed that shapes drawn in MS Word can't be selected, bullets not render properly and displayed as a glyph instead and indentations are messed up.

Or should I just use MS Word in WINE?

>trying this hard to help dumb arch users
now that's dedication

I keep coming back to terminator. I would have thought thunar fits the 'clean' bill, no?

Listen here, install urxvt and also use it to manage your files. Thats where we all end up with after hopping through all hoops.

this, for additional autism: ranger

>ugh why does it default to the current version of python?
what

Will check it out, thanks.

i got it figured out. sorry.

anyone? I need help please.

Not him, but it's not like you think it is: Python3 is incompatible to Python2 (not just a newer version of Python), so, when you're a developer and write a Python program for version 3, you need to explicitly call python3 because unix systems expect "python" to be just Python (version2).

That said, in the future Python2's support will end and all new programs will use Python3.

Welcome to the hell of Python versioning... (If you ask me, they should've used a completly new name instead of calling it Python3.)

>in the future Python2's support will end and all new programs will use Python3
so it's only a problem for older programs?

>python shit again
h-here we go

It's only a Arch Linux problem. Other distributions use the latest version of Python for Python programs and python3 for Python3 programs.

>It's only a Arch Linux problem
you can configure arch to use whatever python version you want
fuck off

I am using arch-anywhere but having issue with grub. how can I put it on my other HD?no option to? because it needs to be on my windows HD

All of the docmentation on dwm acts like the status bar is just already supposed to be there, but I can't see it at all. Anyone have any ideas of what's going on? on a fresh arch install.

For python3 use this:
python3 -m http.server 8080

Okay, my problem is that I'm not using dwm. I'm using bspwm. What the fuck is wrong with my brain

Try PcmanFM.

Didn't say you can't fix it, the point is: Why do you _need_ to fix it in the first place.

just stop already, everything works, no need to fix anything

>install kali on x220
>shuts down and now it wont boot
>???

>here's your problem
>>fuck you, I can fix the problem
>why do you need to fix the problem in the first place?
>>fuck you, there is no problem

O-ok.

>installing kali
found your problem

maybe, but it just makes no sense why it would do this

Is 20GB sufficient/enough for any/most distros? Planning on installing Manjaro to dual boot with my Windows 10 install on my SSD.

so now that i have lemonbar:

wht do you guys keep in your status bars? anything special to you?

I'm looking for a script that changes the color of your battery percentage depending on the value
ie
< 20 = red
> 20 - 50 = blue
> 50 = green

yes

Kali is actually a pretty good distro (if you're into pentesting at least). The scriptkiddie thing or "not meant to be used as daily driver" thing is just a meme. Kali needs the same steps you do when you install Debian, or Arch (actually less).

Check dmesg.

I'd try to keep it simple and not whoring for attention. Protip: Use a font with icon glyphs. Saves space and looks nice.

Anybody installed this
aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf-google-fonts-git/
Is it better to have google fonts compared to adobe fonts?

a font with icon glyphs? so I can just have a little battery icon? that would be cute. what do you recommend?

Is there even a point in installing these in times where websites are loading their fonts from google anyway?

Why the description on this aur.archlinux.org/packages/cliweather-git/
is "Simple CLI for Google's weather API" while the code uses yahooAPI?

PDFs/terminal/subtitles.

Suggestions for the partition size schemes?

>so I can just have a little battery icon?
exactly

I'm using github.com/stark/siji which fits good with Terminus, but there are lots of others font, check the copypasta link in OP, there's a linklist for fonts that have icons.

i can't operate the machine at all

>conky
>You can grab and edit some configs from here to get you started.
>damn link
>dotshare.it/category/info/conky/
thanks m8

tewi and lemon also have icons

I have noto and droid installed, they are nice. The whole lot looks a bit of overkill.

And end up taking screenshots with your phone?
lmfao

>noto
For emoji?

No, for general use.

how to make firefox not look ugly

savage

Install vimperator
>:set gui=noaddons,nobookmarks,nomenu,nonavigation,notabs

not sure if this guy is still around or got helped yet but

yeah, just put the command in your .bashrc

mine runs screenfetch on start

i want to use linux , where should i start ?

KDE is clearly the problem so why not just try openbox or i3

>terminal
termite
>file manager
ranger

>termite
bloat

Is there any way to choose which disk to put grub on with arch-anywhere

Anyone?

or
>:set gui=none

+1 for vimperator, greatest add-on

It's clearly not the problem is it, when another user doesn't have the same problem and most people don't have the same problem.
>dem skills in logic

Say what?

can anyone help me with this please?
it will just turn on for like a second and shut down without displaying anything

>i'm more of a technical user who wants to live on the bleeding edge

Do you get grub?
Try pressing shift on boot

nope, nothing at all

Any *buntu users on 16.10 yet?
I'm thinking about spinning up an xubuntu daily build, but not sure whether it's time yet.

Getting anxious.

Put it in a vm instead

www.kernel.org

disgusting

How can i run scripts with systemd after came back from hibernate?

WPS.

more like
> I enjoyed doing a minimal debian install but I also want software from post 1999

I know, That's why I have trust issues.
>WPS
Are you speaking from experience?

you could put the logo if any distribution behind that grossly overweight man

doesn't make it an argument

Just reinstall, sounds like the bootloader didn't get installed or something pretty major went wrong.

>you could put the logo if any distribution behind that grossly overweight man
>doesn't make it an argument

Which version of OpenSuse last used plasma 4?
I need plasma 4 specifically and not 5, because 1) 5 doesn't like multimonitor much, 2) I am a drawfag and these huge fucking faggots haven't (and likely won't ever) ported the wacom configuration widget to 5.
so I need openpepe with KDE4. which version last used it?

Using Xubuntu 16.04 x64.
Having problems with screen tearing.
Nvidia drivers installed, vsync enabled there.
Compositor settings also have vsync enabled.
Some forum posts have suggested switching to compton but I don't care for it's config options.

Will I still have this problem if I installed normal ubuntu with gnome/unity?
Can I convert this install or will I have to re-install?

I suppose I could disable display compositing but will miss my transparent terminal.

>Being so insecure he couldn't install Arch
kek

compton helps

but no would would not. you can always just

"sudo apt-get install gnome etc etc. don't need a fresh whole reinstall

You may like cinnamon

Why was shitty transmission tied to the actual desktop anyways?

Yes.

>but I don't care for it's config options.
It's automated.
>also
compton-conf

How do I fix an SD card that I incidentally formatted in GParted? As in, the speeds are now utter shit, and formatting back to FAT32 doesn't fix.

Do you know why there are no screenshots for arch ?
Because you can't even boot it up.

What you are comparing have no relevance to each other

2/10 made me reply

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Risks_of_reformatting
There's nothing on the Archwiki. I can't believe it

Can you elaborate more/share your experince? while getting aur.archlinux.org/packages/wps-office/
To finish and see if it will build or not.

i've tried this... it doesn't even let me select boot options

p-plz reply
alternatively, is it possible to install kde 4 instead of 5 in a new release somehow?

Have you tried this
forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/512720-Can-I-have-openSUSE-Leap-42-1-with-plasma-4-instead-of-plasma-5

Also why opensuse?

Anyone?

I have the following at the very end of my .zshrc:
. ~/.welcome.sh

I assume you can do the same with .bashrc

Ah, worked just fine. Thank you!

I haven't, I'll try in a vm, thanks user.
also openpepe because I heard it had a better KDE integrationt than other distros, and I've been using ubuntu/mint for a while and I'd like to try a new distro.
feel free to suggest another distro that has a good/better kde integration fi you know one.

Trying it out now. How can I change the default file manager?

>better kde integration
What do you mean?

How long does it take fedora push the newest firefox?

download another and just do it in settings. should be or set custom key to open.

I always liked thunar personally. nemo is good too

>Arch linux
>Pacman -Syu
>Everything is fine
>Firefox 49.0
>All addons no longer works

firefox patch, mostly, lol. the filepicker.

>fresh install
>decide I want to keep everything as default as possible
>don't like the way firefox looks with adwaita
>spend three hours browsing xfce-look and github for themes
>end up just using numix because the other themes are incomplete

everytime

I've tried KDE on kubuntu.
I've liked KMyMoney that comes with it,also the wide range of application OOTB.
KDE connect was a simple solution for a complex problem.
But I never got to it.
Finally I settled on XFCE on arch.
I've used KDE with debian before, and it was sold.

>numix
have you tried menda?

incomplete themes are the single greatest issue facing the linux community today, imo

I fancied getting myself a single board computer, Raspberry Pi or similar, and wanted to give Gentoo a shot on it, but how do I even get to installing it? There's only stage3s in the download pages.

arc

I have now. Are the icons used with it the same name?

yes

>still no gimp pepper in the op

Am I experiencing some placebo effect or is Firefox 49 way snappier?
Scrolling is smoother now and I can view YouTube pages without the browser shitting himself.

Zukitre 4 lyf.

>firefox
>himself

typical white cis behaviour desu

nice grill, OP

is that how many drinks she has to consume just to find your stories of gentoo interesting?

I'm trying to make some webms from MOV source files and I'm having problems with sound.

Here's the pass 2 command I use:
ffmpeg -hide_banner -loglevel "info" -ss "00:00:00" -t "5" -i "21090003.MOV" -c:v libvpx -pass 2 -qmin 0 -qmax 50 -crf 10 -b:v "6080" -s "960:540" -c:a libvorbis -b:a 192K -vbr on -threads 3 -speed 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -g 128 -sn -f webm "./webm/test.webm"
The error I get is
>Codec AVOption vbr (Variable bit rate mode) specified for output file #0 (./webm/test.webm) has not been used for any stream. The most likely reason is either wrong type (e.g. a video option with no video streams) or that it is a private option of some encoder which was not actually used for any stream.

When I make webms without sound, i.e. replacing all the audio options with -an, I don't have problems.
I can make webms WITH sound from all other source files (mkv, mp4, webm) just fine.

What's going on? How do I fix this?

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/devedition-theme-enabler/

This is basically Firefox dark edition by Mozilla. Normally you have to use the developer version of Firefox, but with this addon, you can use it with the normal edition.

Oh yeah, and I have Stylish + this userstyle (Numix theme) to make the window buttons consistent:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/
userstyles.org/styles/108648/custom-window-controls

Try putting the time after the input.

Nope, same error. Plus it works with all other input file types, like I said.

Then try simplifying your code and add parameters to the audio gradually and see what causing the issue.
Or use -map option.

If I had to take a guess I'd say it's the -vbr on option since that's what the encoder is complaining about.

How can I install .bdf fonts on Debian Stretch?
I put them in the .fonts folder, but it doesn't show up in selections.

Because I wanted to give KDE a legitimate chance? I already use MATE and awesome for specific things so that isn't very helpful.

How to choose which HD to install GRUB on with arch-anywhere?

grub-install /dev/sdz

If I have windows installed on a hard drive, can I boot is up as a virtual machine?

yes

Is Bedrock Linux a meme?

After toying around with other DMs, I'm back to XFCE. Just feels better, even with the vsync problems.

Well I had to do it form Windows. I got it working with EASY BCD and i can now fix on arch manually. cool software

felt good doing screenfetch with 414 package son cinnamon too . been awhile since been on arch. need to remember how to get AUR going

That's where I always end up. I tried to force myself to use default gnome for awhile but quickly scampered back.

I love xfce too but something is off for me these days. Like when I stream videos the quality seems to be shittier and very pixels at first. don't really get that with cinnamon wayland/gtk3 stuff. or maybe I am impatient.

I like cinnamon but xfce4 still feels ocmfty always

Try MATE. It's the best of both worlds.

Long time xfce fag. Mate is just superirob

Is enlightenment a meme?

I used it for a while but the screen tearing is pretty unbearable and I didn't like the window placement.

Then I tried openbox and went down the whole tui/cli root. It was novel for a while but I grew tired of it so I'm actually on gnome now which is surprisingly great on fedora. Hoping I can stick with it now because DE hopping is getting old.

Giving it a shot, thanks.

fluxbox

If your distro has it I recommend the mate gtk 3 build. I think the mate menu is only in the gtk 3 version for a few distros anyways. (ie arch)

Tearing when playing video?

Does anyone else use connman?
I've been trying for about a week to get this "autoconnect" feature to work but I can't figure it out. It autoconnect is on on the config for the WiFi im concerned about and the service has a *A. I'm running debian without a desktop environment if that makes any difference.

>you plug your mouse and wait for (((drivers))), then unplug same mouse and plug to another USB port and again wait for (((drivers))).
You're right on that one. Imo they broke it in later versions. I remember xp and Vista were a lot better about it, at least with mouse and keyboards.

>file manager don't have tabs
Another valid point but IMO isn't such a big deal. I only have like 2-3 open at any one time, at the most. But maybe other people have loads of file manager windows open for some reason.

>you can't open selected file with spacebar
Then use enter instead? this is more opinion.

>crappy music players
This is opinion, too. IMO the ones for linux/whatever aren't really much better. What do you want from a music player that no players for windows can do?

>crappy terminals
They're all the same to me. So not much comment here.

>can't quickly update all programs
Legit down side to windows.

>virtual desktops only on latest versions of windows
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881
Kinda sucks it doesn't do it out-of-box, but it's still possible.

>partition letters start from C
That has to do with the history of windows and computer hardware and isn't really a legit reason to hate on it.

>less filesystems
I don't really see how this is much of a problem unless you've got a shit load of computers all with different file systems or something.

>applications on windows 10 are unfunny joke
Then use the desktop mode instead, or the desktop version of applications. MS designed 10 to work on both tablets and desktops.

>bad configurability
I partially agree with you here. The main GUI? Yup, can't compare to linux. System configuration? They're comparable. I've heard linux people complaining that the only way to change some settings is by going into the registry. This isn't completely true. There's usually a switch hidden away deep in the control panel somewhere. In pro versions you can lock/change almost anything with gpedit.msc

yes, if I recall correctly the problem would disappear if the video was played fullscreen.

>be born female
>get fake tits
>congrats you're a professional model $300k starting
you autists need to get out some time

i'll take decently sized natural tits over slightly bigger plastic tits any day

Whats a good and STABLE KDE distro?
I used to use fedora, but ever since plasma 5 is a thing, its an unstable mess. So I went back to Opensuse (used be a suse user, back when buying it in a box with 2 500 pages handbooks and 10 CD was still a thing), but, its an unstable mess.

How feasible is simply running fucking CentOS as a desktop system? I'm afraid that I will have to go back to fucking compiling a lot of shit myself, since rpmfusion is apparently dead.

How do I disable the keyboard language indicator in the xfce indicator plugin panel? It doesn't show up in properties.

Manjaro?

Any sized natural > big fakers

yeah

not sure what to get, either Debian, or Ubuntu mate

I did run Ubuntu mate for a while and liked it so far, but heard a lot of good things about Debian.

I had the opposite with lxde and nouveau

Why not stick to the kde 4 for a while? Do you use tumbleweed or leap?

Because no big distro is shipping it anymore?
Only I know of, is Redhat7 and its clones. Maybe debian does, but i'd rather avoid apt-ghetto…
Hence my question about CentOS. Its just missing rpmfusion.

>rpmfusion
Missing your favourite malware?

As for the distro with kde5, you may try kde neon. Im not sure its very stable but it has as official support from kde devs as it can get.

It's a distro that wants to have all the advantages and features of every other distro, which is really really ambitious and probably nearly impossible to do.

But hey, if the person/people behind Bedrock Linux can make it work in the long run, then more power to them.

Why can't I edit my .Xresources file? I use

>touch ~/.Xresources
>gedit ~/.Xresources

then geddit tells me:
>"/home//.Xresources" is a directory.
>Please check that out typed the location correctly and try again.

is it in home?

.Xresources or try .Xdefaults

Is there a command to show names for all devices and ports on computer? For example, HDD is sda and CD-ROM drive is sr0, but I want to find out names for my USB ports, is there a command to figure that out?

I'm starting an Intro to Unix class in two days (I have the extra money so why not). Our professor wants us to install Fedora as our distro. Is that the best for beginners or something? Will he know if we use another distro?

Never mind, it was there under "Keyboard" derp.

lsblk

>Missing your favourite malware?
huh, why that?
There is just a lot of nice stuff, that is not in the standard fedora/EL repos. So far, I have always seen rpmfusion as the somewhat official, stable and tested one stop shop for 99% of my 2nd repo software needs.

>neon
Isnt that their testbed?
Also, ubuntu based, no, thanks.

You are getting it wrong. It isnt a traditional distro, its an instrument to combine software from various distros.

Besides, its already working.

Cat > .xresources (whatever)

Its better than touch coz you can edit the file right away. Press ctrl d when finished editing

Its ok
He will if you mention a package manager other than yum

Most Fedora and Debian variants are fine for beginners. The course material is probably just written with things like Fedora's package manager and the preinstalled packages in mind. As an intro class most of what you learn, aside from the package manager commands will not translate. Though the core idea of package management will translate.

Hard to tell if it will affect you if you use another distro. If you really don't want to, you can run Fedora on a virtual machine.

Whole family of commands for this kind of stuff

lsusb
lspci
lsblk
lscpu

> As an intro class most of what you learn, aside from the package manager commands will not translate

WILL TRANSLATE. Sorry.

Isnt it just user repos, created and maintained by random people, much like ppas? I'm genuinely curios. Id be happy if it wasn't the case

Blkid is also related

>Is that the best for beginners or something?
probably some partnership/sponsorship with RedHat.

Probably would be able to use a remix version fedoraproject.org/wiki/List_of_Fedora_remixes#Current

No. rpmfusion is one repo (or two, free and nonfree), maintained by a bunch of folks, many of whom tied to red hat anyways, if I remember correctly.
They ship stuff red hat cant ship in their official repos, due to licensing or whatever.
According to the various fedora documentations, its almost never breaks the system, and does only contain tested stuff, so its very different from ppas, or even *shudder* that arch thingy…

Thanks. I hope I enjoy the class and learn quite a bit. The textbook is "A Practical Guide to Linux: Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming".

Why is PulseAudio such a piece of shit
It needs you to write a fucking script to work with the mute button properly

...how did you get that picture of my mom?

>interracial pornstar
wouldn't be surprised at all if that were your mother

Anyone?

A 12-20 GB partition for the OS, which gets mounted as / (called “root”)
A smaller partition used to augment your RAM, mounted and referred to as swap
A larger partition for personal use, mounted as /home

All depends on your distro too I guess.

That arch thingy is basically build scripts you can easily audit. Afaic open suses OBS repos provide build scripts apart from binaries. does rpmfusion have it?

Ironically enough, the only thing that failed me really when i was using a ubuntu based systems was not 10 or so ppas i added but an open suses obs repo with Toxic. The thing literally ate 1gb ram after running for 10 hours. A bug unknown to tox devs

> 1K pages

So small? Kek

Anyway, hope you find it exciting. Does it assume programming background or will it introduce that along with shell scripting?

I have
--- SSD
200M Boot
8G Swap
30G /
200G /home
--- HDD
1T mounted /home/media

It most likely introduces it with shell scripting. I've already taken a class for C so yeah, I'm doing things a little backwards I guess.

I read a book by Shotts "the linux command line" pretty good. Other user.

Not at all.

>tfw no one I've met at my uni runs Linux

how does it feel, being the 1%?

Idk. It's lonely because I can't talk to anyone about it.

You would think a few would use it in a college of computing but all of them roll their eyes when we have to use it in class.

That's why Cred Forums and IRC exist :) I guess you can throw in forums also.

So long story short, and let me know if there's an easier way to do this, I use a Debian fileserver I built from scratch to store my porn to access from my laptop or phone. Server's on my LAN, using AC68U for routing

SMB connections to the server from any Windows clients are fast, they'll saturate my LAN, but my phone never gets close, usually only 2-3mb/s over ac wifi. However, setting up a quick samba share on my Windows desktop yields fast results on the phone, around 30-40mb/s.

Both the server and desktop use an SSD for cache and boot, and the server's got 4TB in RAID-1, but the speeds seem identical when accessing test files directly from the SSD or the array.

Anyone seen behavior like this? I've ran through all the SMB speed tweaks floating around and explored NFS, but Solid/ES explorers don't support it on mobile. Once again, if there's a more efficient way to pull up my porn folder on my phone and swipe left/right to see more pictures, i'd love an alternative to SMB

Check if there are any clubs in schools about this kind of stuff. Also depends on how far into the curriculum you are. You might get luckier in upper level classes.

If you haven't I'd be surprised. Look outside your Uni. There are meetup websites for all sorts of stuff.

Is she really? All I see is that she is a cosplay "star".

I need some help.

I have a USB drive with debian netinstall. But it's not picking up my network card. I have an intel ac 8260.

Decided to go on without a network and now I only have the kernel.

I don't know what the fuck to do at this point

This actually inspired me to look up local LUG and seems like the south half of my state has one that meets every month about 20 minutes away.

I may check it out.

No wired connection handy?

Alas, it is in my xinitrc. I also am not a DE user (XMonad master race).

My laptop doesn't have one.

What kernel version? grab a newer kernel, slap it on a usb or other partition and move it to debian then do wizard magic and compile it.

How do I customize the appearance of qt5 windows? I've just installed Konsole, but qtconfig doesn't seem to affect it.

You'll need to grab the firmware tarball for your NIC and unpack it to /firmware on the USB, if it's non-free then you have to acknowledge it before Debian'll use it

>text editor
Writing loli fuck stories
>IDE
Developing loli fuck programs
>Firefox
Browsing loli fuck sites
>MPV
Watching loli fuck videos

Kill yourself faggot

NVM got it to work with a startuphook.

Figuring out how to autostart things was the last step in my road to blissfully full functionality without a DE.

I'm very happy right now.

Ok I have the tarball and I've unpacked it. I currently have the ISO burned onto my USB and that only has /efi/boot/bootx64.efi

Now do I wipe that all and make a new folder for /firmware?

Then what? How do I install it from my terminal?

> no ethernet port

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

If you can't return it pawn it off on some loser or Office Space it. Get a new laptop.

Does anyone here use Slackware? How do you go about solving package dependencies? Like if you want to install MPV, for example, how do you find out what other packages you need?

Your USB /only/ has the efi folder? I use a multiboot drive but the netinst iso I use already has an empty /firmware folder in it's structure.

Ultrabooks never have ethernet anymore, my yoga 2 pro's original NIC was picked up by debian by default, but I had to install the firmware when I upped to the ac7260. Even when I owned a laptop that had ethernet, it's never near a wired connection, that's what my desktop's for.

>get a new laptop
This laptop was built in 2016. I don't know anyone with a modern laptop with an ethernet port lol

Lenovo are also now making them unfriendly to linux

>Your USB /only/ has the efi folder?
Yes. I JUST burned the ISO too.

You shouldn't have to burn it, just unpack the contents, should look like this

You shouldn't have to burn it, just unpack the contents, should look like this

I think the current trend is to put in high speed IO like USB3 and Thunderbolt that are flexible. So if you really need ethernet, an adapter will do.

How do you make a shortcut for a program that you can run system wide from terminal.
Example: When I install blender from PPA I can just type blender.

Ok I'll try that. Thanks.

How do I fix the mute button in Xfce?

>install arch linux
>it just werkz
thought it was a le meme all this time

Surprised you can't after installing with a package manager. Sometimes you have to start a new terminal (or something more sane that I don't know). I'd say first check the name they gave it (might be something other than blender) and create an alias for it.

I try not to mess with binary locations if it's managed with a package manager.

I remember my surprise when I first booted up an Ubuntu live CD.

wait 2 weeks for it to break and you'll learn why it's a le meme :^)

>How do you make a shortcut for a program that you can run system wide from terminal.

You mean like creating a symlink inside a $PATH-included directory?

I'm not sure. When installed with package manager you can run %programname% from any directory you are in the terminal.

Try

dpkg -L blender | grep bin

Will it make a difference if this is a newer version of blender not available on default repo?

Do you expect someone to help you with that question?

>When installed with package manager you can run %programname% from any directory you are in the terminal.

Yes, because the program is commonly installed into a directory included in your $PATH variable. Normally, it's /usr/bin. Try using: echo $PATH to see your included directories, separated by colon. If you add a symlink (shortcut) to the program on any of these directories, you'll be able to access the program. Using the command gave you, you can see where the program is located so you can create a symlink to that location.

So I installed compton but I still have tearing in firefox.
Did I fall for a meme?

If I ditch Xfce for a wm on Manjaro. Will boot ups and logins be faster fared Xfce? I run it on a meh netbook with 2GB RAM and an Atom processor Asus eee PC. Just wondering if the login process into a wm would be faster fared to Xfce.

For what it's worth, I'd really be surprised if a package doesn't put a binary in one of the general locations like /usr/bin that are included in PATH by default.

i used manjaro xfce and i don't even get to see my log in screen

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Do you really expect someone to help you with that question?

Are there any DE's which are particularly good for using workspaces? Or, if they're mostly at least acceptable, any worth avoiding? I never really bothered trying to utilize them but, now that I've gotten a taste, I understand why they're so nice.

(Note that I said DE, not WM.)

i expected someone to tell me I fell for the meme
>actually expecting help from Cred Forums ever

Kde is one of the best I've come across, not only do you get workspaces but you have activities which are kind of like activities but more powerful and can also contain workspaces. For example, I have 4 workspaces. Activity one I have for normal use, file manager space 1, browser space 2 etc. Activity two I use for music production. When I switch to this activity I have a different widget layout on the desktop and it automatically switches the cpu governor and turns off compositing because I want maximum performance. When I switch back to my average desktop use activity it switches the governor back and turns on compositing. Basically in kde you can set activities to trigger scripts and do all kinds of in depth stuff if you want it to.

NEW NEW

Ask a question which includes more information then. You didn't say how you started compton or if you started it, with which options or what exactly the problem is. No one is going to help you.