Is this opinion on c++ valid?

is this opinion on c++ valid?

>No one ever learns C++, C++ is not a coherent language, everyone who uses C++ uses a subset of it that works for them. The STL does not provide enough to do professional level programming and advanced libraries like Boost and other obscure libraries must be used to provide cookie cutter solutions. People who get into C++ become 'experts' and are useless for any other kind of programming.

especially last sentence?
>People who get into C++ become 'experts' and are useless for any other kind of programming.

Is it better to learn C# or Java then if you want to find a job?

Yes.

in what fields are you expert as c++ programmer?

how long does it take to get atleast entry level job?

are they even interesting in novice in the field like driver deveeloping, enginees and os?

读一辈子C++的书。
壹。輩。子。

>Is it better to learn C# or Java then if you want to find a job?
Yes.

What if I am edgy neet khv with dedication and free time?

Will C++ make me a better person?

It highly depends on the type of job you want to do. I would rather kill myself than work as a Java/.NET code monkey somewhere.

>is this opinion on c++ valid?
No

>No one ever learns C++
Unless you are a compiler writer, you probably do not know the entirety of the C++ standard. It has a ton of quirks. So you can't say you've learned it completely. But many do know it fairly well.

>everyone who uses C++ uses a subset of it that works for them
That seems to be the attitude of most C++ programmers I have met. Even those who do not try to restrict themselves would be foolish to try and use every feature the language has to offer just because.

>The STL does not provide enough to do professional level programming and advanced libraries like Boost and other obscure libraries must be used to provide cookie cutter solutions
A large portion of what was in Boost is now in the STL. Other libraries are still needed, however, for most tasks. There's nothing wrong with using 3rd party libraries, however, and many of those used in C++ aren't exactly obscure.

>People who get into C++ become 'experts' and are useless for any other kind of programming.
If you intend to program C++ seriously, you may very well become an expert. It is not really a language you should stay ignorant about if you want to build anything big. That said, I see no reason why a C++ programmer would be useless at any other language.

If you are speaking strictly in terms of quantity of jobs, C# or Java may give you the best odds. If you are looking for specific types of jobs, such as high performance computing or game development, you might need C++.

>Will C++ make me a better person?
It won't. Personally I don't like C++, but I can't argue that it is a very fast language if used correctly. If you want to find a job then your best bet would be to learn something business/web oriented.

Lets say that you have two offers, one is C# programmer in a big company and another job offer in company that use c++ (mostly drivers for and other low level stuff for R&D in the communication, LTE modems, bts etc.)

After 10+ years what would pat off better?

From what I know embedded C is paid pretty low, but I am not sure how about c++ in R&D

We don't speak Alien, Xian.

What the fuck does professional level programming mean? Does it mean providing a web framework as part of the standard library?

why are they useless?

they're still employable as D programmers :^)

At work we have quite a large C++ codebase (>10M lines). I work on that, although lately I've been spending a bit of time getting on top of Haskell as my boss wants us to look at functional unikernels for cloud computing.

As most people say, C++ is a massive language. That's not really an issue except that performance characteristics and comparisons between different styles are not always intuitive. Additionally unless you have a preferred style within your workplace, you'll potentially have many conflicting styles.

Also templates/template meta-programming is really useful, however the compilation unit restrictions can be incredibly annoying, and the compile times are often brutal?

check'em

How do you feel about Erlang as a language for concurrent programming?

Most of the C++ programmers that I've come cross that don't have a background in "C" or even Pascal don't know how to program a linked list let alone something like a binary tree or a hash table. They're retarded.

>inb4 muh STL, that is just general purpose SHIT.

Not the user you quoted, but there is no way to know which would be better. It's entirely a personal experience and at BEST someone can provide an anecdote to support their claim.

I do agree that it seems embedded C is paid poorly though. My degree is in embedded, but the entry level jobs were all shit so I just got a general C/C++ developer position.

>mfw Systems Engineer
>mfw I write sepples all day and know so much about its quirks that i'm an "expert" now
>mfw i can do both systems programming and higher level stuff without any problem because i'm not retarded
>mfw to the contrary, having to deal with everything on a low level keeps you on your toes about performance and a good sepples programmer HAS to think about the implications of every line he writes
It's bullshit, all of it.

I learned C before learning C++.
Am I ok?

Why is that so?

Embedded C requires you to be careful and work with numerous constraints, and it's not well paid?
Meanwhile, Javascript developers just throw copypasted shit at the wall.

Do not learn C++ as C with classes, if you want to learn C++ learn c++11 or higher.

market rule

Companies all around the world need websites so webdev can make money.

Big companies need some windows application that require C# or Java.

Embedded stuff is niche now.

Your salari is not outcome of your skills but effect of the market.

Big companies with alot of money need windows application and thats where you can get higher salary.

>What if I am edgy neet khv with dedication and free time?
Then you should be working towards getting a job: every day you stay a NEET your chances of getting a job in the field decrease. Compared to Java and C#, the time investment you need to make is much higher and the entry positions available much less. So basically it's a dumb idea.

宇宙的确很庞大。

GUYS LET'S WORK AT THE PIRAMIDS THEY NEED A LOT OF PEOPLE

thanks senpai

b-but learning C++ seems much easier, like you will not get job only with JAVA, you need SPRING, hibernate and several other shit to get entry job.

Coding formats whole day in JAVA may be frustrating after a while (imo).

I was thinking about getting few years of C++ in real job and then try to find job in bank on the legacy.

>No one ever learns C++, C++ is not a coherent language, everyone who uses C++ uses a subset of it that works for them.
This is true to an extent. There are a pretty astounding number of ways to use the language. However there is a pretty sizable core that everyone learns which makes an awful lot of C++ code very similar, it's just that some people use more unusual features like constexpr and some people don't.

>The STL does not provide enough to do professional level programming
This is more or less true, it lacks any access to the filesystem, or the network stack, let alone many of the things found in languages like Python, like a GUI toolkit or access to the windowing system.

>and advanced libraries like Boost and other obscure libraries must be used to provide cookie cutter solutions.
Boost is not an obscure library. None of the C++ libraries I've used have ever been "obscure". This was written by someone who really hates C++ and wants to deride it without having to put forward a proper argument.

Complete shit. Why would this be the case? It's an imperative language that's much like any other, which shares a lot of similarities with C, C# and Java.

Yeah.

He is unfortunately correct. Far more people need JavaScript trash than us embedded c people.

As you mentioned, the work is far more demanding, so many companies want experience as well, which creates the all too familiar paradox:

>Need experience for the job
>Need job to get experience

>everyone who uses C++ uses a subset of it that works for them
You could say that about any language/library.

let me rephrase then
>everyone who uses C++ is forced to program in a subset as it is impossible to learn or use the entire language because there is no entire language