I3 window manager thread

Hello /g
can we have a i3 wm thread to share desktop screen and config file =)

Other urls found in this thread:

i3wm.org/docs/layout-saving.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Redpill me on tiling wm. Why would I use it?

Great for multitasking. You have to kind of try it to see whether it's fit for you.

I want to use i3 but I don't want to go through the hassle of configuring it and gnome just werks.

yes it's great for this,
but out of the box it's a litle ugly, so we have t oconfigur it to make it beautifull ^^

so this thread is here to help configuring this ^^

destkpop thnread?

i3 is among the easy window managers to get looking good. While it uses a config file, it doesn't rely much on knowing a programming language.

Does it play nice with ultrawide displays? Might want to use it on my desktop if I can get it working nice on my laptop.

yes you can share your wm desktop
mhm maybe it's easy
but when you come from gnome of xfce..
Why it will don't work on bug screen ?
depend on your CG

I've started using i3 and I've found it a lot easier to stay organised with it.

Still getting used to the config, it'll be a while before I have a nicely riced desktop

screen capture? =)

When I started I felt tempted and eventually copied entire config files from other folks. It made everything seem far more intimidating than it has to be and kind of held me back so I'd recommend making incremental changes instead.

How can I fix the horrendous tearing in i3? Compton doesn't help at all...

>window manager causes tearing
Intel/AMD - TearFree
Nvoodia - FullCompositionPipeline

Hello xterm my old friend.
I've come to shell with you again.
Because a terminal softly beeping.
Left its logs while I was sleeping.
And the rootkit that was planted in my box.
Still phones home.
Within the sound of relays.

nice lyrics ^^

i3 is most comfy anons, one of the GOATs of WMs.

is this the new desktop thread

Ratpoison is comfy i3 is ricey

>uses Nano
yeah ok senpai

how did you get i3-gaps working?

i compiled it from the aur and edited my .config but got an error?

sick anime girl dude i bet ur so cool irl xdddddd

Use Debian
Install Awesome WM
looks good by default

Anyone have any nice rofi scripts? I think I'm going to write one to pull a specific window out of scratch pad. Or fix the window switcher so that it works with scratch pad windows

depends on which i3 package you got from the aur. If you compile i3-gaps or i3-gaps-git it should work.

vim or emacs for config files is overkill. I'm not trying to impress anyone. Simple tools for simple shit. Had I been programming, then yes, a more powerful text editor would have been used.

>browsing Cred Forums
>cool
pick one

I think vim is perfect for configs.

vim is perfect for programming too.

Vim works fine for the both. I don't understand why you would swap to another editor for a config file... Unless you don't actually know how to use Vim.

i use sublime for everything.
come at me fuckers

>Perfect
Just because it accomplishes a minor task like saving a config doesnt mean it's perfect for the job.
Nano has the 'goto line' command and 'search/search and replace', making it for me, better for config files.

Also, in my bashrc, my i3 config alias opens with nano by default so I'm not 'swapping' to another editor.

vim is perfect period

vim has those too though?

Does anyone know how to fix artifacts when resizing windows in i3? Test it by resizing a browser window in floating mode, there are ugly artifacts at the edges during resizing. Occurs for me on intel, nvidia and ati...

What are you talking about? Vim doesn't just save the config.

To be honest I'd argue that vim is better at handling these kinds of tasks than general programming by design. It's extensibility is what makes it good for general programming.

what's your compositor?

vim -c 'help gg'

WOW LOOK AT THAT CODE!!!!11

nvm it's just html

Occurs with both the intel tearfree option or compton, regardless of how either is configured.

Vim is good and more than capable of editing configs and programming. I never said it wasnt. I'm simply saying that in my workspace, opening nano for a simple config file or using more than one editor does not bother me. Nano is simple to use. I open it I type some shit, I'm done. In Vim I open it, I program for longer periods of time, I'm done. I'm not going to open vim just to show a config file for a screenshot.

StumpWM

I fucking love being able to organize windows via workspaces and i3 tabs and use tiling or even more tabs within individual tabs. So amazing.

You may have skipped the part where I said, in my bashrc my i3 config alias opens with nano by default...

i am l33t ama

/thread apparently

When I installed i3 the first time, the first 10 minutes were frustrating as shit, but I had it configured to my liking (at the time) in like 30 minutes. I had only been using Linux for around 2 months, and had never used a tiling WM before i3. So 30 minutes of reading a wiki really isn't that big of a sacrifice for years of use, I don't think.

Why not just compile from the source on Github?

what bar is that user? lemonbar?

my i3 is pretty comfy Cred Forumsuys

it is comfy user

It's yabar, user.

Why do all the windows on the right say [NEW] 1?

What bar is that?

i3bar/i3blocks, there are good blocklets examples around I rewrote most to work with my setup, but it's language agnostic so you can write whatever you want in whatever language as long as it has a text output.

How usable is this shit on a netbook? I want to set up mostly keyboard controls but the screen is probably too small for much tiling. Maybe at most 2 windows and then shortcuts for other desktops?

I love it on the 1366x768 screen that my laptop has. A simple remap gives you vi-like bindings for navigating windows and the tabbed mode and workspaces lets me get the most out of my screen. Using rofi to jump around between windows on different workspaces is also really nice.

how to get those icons?

Seeing this makes me glad I went back to GUI.

If you want to go keyboard-only for maximum productivity it's the way to go.

I like to use it for programming. Quickly opening side terminals to run various tools is handy and a lot quicker than using a mouse or IDE to do so

How are you using compton? You're starting it before i3 in .xinitrc right?

For me compton didn't seem to do anything unless I had xf86-video-intel installed

Going full terminals only and shit is the best way to use a netbook, so yes, it is very usable on a netbook

Just have your shit set up to use smaller fonts than usual to get your screen real estate back

I just hope you have good eyesight

i3 is love

I'm using a modified i3 window manager which adds titlebars and defaults to floating layout

>two clocks

>defaults to floating
why even use i3?

is that images in lynx? if not then what shell browser is that? looks comfy senpai :3

floating actually lets you make better use of your screen real estate because you can hide less important parts of windows behind other windows.

Hope this short gif can explain what I mean - once part of a window is hidden you have more room to expand the part with the content!

surely this is bait,,,

tilefags btfo

because he's using urxvt multiplexer instead of tmux

it's w3m

>2 (two) hamburger menus

I'm not the only one that sees KDE on the bottom, right?

> calling it the hamburger menu

Nope. I'm also not the only one to see kwin is his wm.

I just installed i3, I've got a question
I have the nm-applet running at startup, and the icon shows up in the bar. However, the background color is different from the bar. How do I fix this? My google-fu turned up nothing.

Uninstall, and install herbstluftwm

Use ranger and you won't have that unnecessary shit there in the first place

[modified i3][macOS]

this is the most faggoty ss I've seen in a very long time, and I've been browsing gee for nearly 8 years.

Grats, faggot

damn nigga, u gay as hell

umm, by any chance, can anyone tell me how to start three terminals on workspace1,two side-by-side and one horizontally under the right one on system startup? semi-new to i3, love it a lot but can't figure this out.

Bar is hidden unless $mod is pressed

image didn't upload.

i3wm.org/docs/layout-saving.html

mental illness

Surely there's some proggy you like/use that has some useless stuff

Do you guys use super key or alt key as the mod key?

yeah, it is quite faggotish, but I like it
looks really cute, user

>All I ever use is a shell
Dunno why you guys just don't use screen/tmux then.

Because they're normalfaggots trying to fit in on Cred Forums

Any recommendations? This is fairly new install.

>inb4 2 clocks meme
I usually can't see the conky clock

How about getting a real distro, retard

Remove conky
Remove gaps
Update kernel
Match i3 to your colorscheme

desktop thread in disguise

Eye three

So you're the enigmatic !iPhoneOSXs

Really don't like your desktop, but I see your following in Jordon's footsteps and going the "plain grey is best" route

What's your fav keion?

Hi Jordan,
That desktop was from a year or two ago, so I'm not going that way anymore. But gray is alright.

Every time I try to avoid it I just go to it.
(#desktop a #wip but still turning out gray)

I installed i3 and loved it, but i3-gaps looked even better so I tried getting that. After a lot of fuckery with the dependencies for it on Ubuntu I thought I'd finally installed it but it seems to not work when I add the "gaps inner 20" line to the config file, I also added "for_window [class="^.*"] border pixel 0" cause it says I have to on the github.

help how do I even check whether I installed i3-gaps correctly

>comparing me to that fat fuck

that's not jordan baka

pls don't bully jordan

mio is best imo

good choice

I love mio

I see you want to repent for your comments earlier this year

That's very good

They're all bad, LOL!