bento.io/
programming-motherfucker.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
theodinproject.com/
freecodecamp.com/
w3schools.com/
developer.mozilla.org/
codewars.com/
youtu.be/JxAXlJEmNMg?list=PL7664379246A246CB - "Crockford on JavaScript" lecture series.

>Useful Youtube channels
derekbanas
thenewboston
learncodeacademy
funfunfunction
computerphile
codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528/

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k - "2016/2017 MUST-KNOW WEB DEVELOPMENT TECH - Watch this if you want to be a web developer "
youtu.be/zf_cb_Nw5zY - "JavaScript is Easy" - If you can't into programming, you probably won't find a simpler introduction to JavaScript than this.

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k
codepen.io/Per-Erik_Rundqvist/pen/gwwadr
webmasters.googleblog.com/2015/10/deprecating-our-ajax-crawling-scheme.html
developers.google.com/gmail/api/
jsfiddle.net/taucharts/nLdac8sc/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=nLdac8sc
imagehex.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>2 hours in
>0 posts

/wdg/ wot have you become

How easy is to find job as entry level web developer in Europe? I'm almost consider about working as freelancer if I can't find any entry job in my home country.

I had learned the basic in Java and currently learning Javascript on FreeCodeCamp and working on my personal portfolio (I want to make it look more professional than 90 style page).

>Wondering why people with jobs arent posting thursday morning

Well, you're here.

would you mind posting your portfolio? Also, in Europe it's not that easy to get a programming job outside of the big cities. You're gonna have to start thinknig about relocating, user.

I'm at work. I'm just a shitty employee.

Good lad. Keep it up.

newfag here, trying to learn the ropes of this shit. how do you recommend I start learning this? I have some experience programming, but none in web dev

youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k - "2016/2017 MUST-KNOW WEB DEVELOPMENT TECH - Watch this if you want to be a web developer "

I'm entering college soon, I planned on majoring in CS or Infosec for the longest time but I think I'm going to major in Linguistics now, maybe a double major with CS/Linguistics if possible, who knows.

My point is, I know Linguistics majors don't have the best job prospects other than teaching English abroad or staying in academia, and I'm wanting to hone my webdev skills as a plan b.

I've had the basics (HTML/CSS) covered for years, I know Ruby and Java, and I've been experimenting with Node.js lately.

Is this a good plan b? Honing my Ruby/RoR skills and maybe really learning JS and whatever Fad.js comes out next week, doing this on the side, would this get me through college, financially?

I'm considering writing an imageboard in RoR to test my skill level.

Americuck here btw.

I don't keep up to date on webdev in general though, so if there are any [buzzword] technologies that are "in demand" other than JSshit/Ruby, could someone point me in the right direction?

Hi /wdg/.
I'd like to learn a new frontend framework. I made the mistake of learning angular a while back, before it went full meme. I liked the routing parts of it, being able to make things like nav bars as one page and then swap in partial pages for the content. Plain JS/Jquery doesn't seem to support that, so I'm looking for something else. Suggestions?

Jquery does support 1page apps.

Also you can use vanilla JS but I'm not surprised you don't know that since you skipped the basics.

>apple and google don't write apps
???

>Manually re-writing the DOM with jquery/javascript for every ajax call

I didn't skip shit, I just don't want to kill my sanity by doing this.

>Django background
>new company uses Angular with Django REST
>tfw I'm enjoying it
shit lads, it's less of a meme than I thought

here.

React looks decent, I'll probably go with that. How mature are libraries like react-boostrap? Alternatively, does react itself handle responsiveness and mobile-friendliness?

Should I jump on the TypeScript train or is it gonna be another meme-of-the-month trainwreck like Dart, CoffeeScript and whatever?
Angular is already pushing pretty hard for it

If you like AI, linguistics may come handy in Natural Language Processing if you're into that sort of stuff

React with React Router

Here in the Netherlands there is a shortage of webdevs I believe. But I think I think IT is also very concentrated around a couple cities, like Amsterdam and Eindhoven.

The portfolio page is barely finish but you can look at my tribute page.

codepen.io/Per-Erik_Rundqvist/pen/gwwadr

I live pretty close to one of the big city so it is no probelm for my to travel.

I'm quit surprised that is shortage of webdevs, maybe I should take a look at Netherland job.

>about page in my web portfolio written 10 months ago
>find half a dozen misspellings

So embarassing

What's the best editor? Dreamweaver, right?

Atom, sublime, vim (if you're autistic)

pick you're poison

Notepad++ on Windows
On Linux I prefer Atom

where can I get that book?

Do I need to have node_modules folder on server if I use babel to transpile ES6 to ES5?

Angular 2 stable version came out a week ago, so it's time to decide.
Angular2 or React, what's the future?

Whats the best way to break your project down into chunks?

I always have the idea, but when i go to execute i get side tracked or overwhelmed with all the possible steps to take.

Whats the best way to just take it piece by piece?

i was asked to bring some of you over to this thread due to your technical knowledge

A'pen here. Sending 5 responses a day for 10 days or so now.

So far I had 2 phone calls, 1 appointment with recruitment bureau and I've another phone call scheduled tomorrow.

Anyone else use Elm?

Personally I'd go with React for now. It's had more time to mature and has a huge community around it already. Who knows if the Angular 2 "stable" version is actually stable this time. It wouldn't surprise me much at this point if they still introduced breaking changes next update. Besides, it won't hurt you to learn Angular later if it does actually catch on.

Why is django such a piece of shit? I have done Webdev in a while and have a side project going at work that requires a full blown web app instead the APIs and scripts I'm usually writing. I used to do an ass load of codeigniter back in the day.

Anyway Python is the preferred language in my org so naturally I tried to use django and every second of it was pure hell. My brother is in a Webdev boot camp right now and they're learning django so I hope it works out for him.

Anyway I spent about a week with django and then switched to rails. I'm only on day two and I'm way further along than I was with django.

Anyone else care to django vs rails?

I haven't read up on Angular2 or used it enough to give a good answer, but I fucking love React. I don't plan to learn Angular2 until I have to.

FLASK
L
A
S
K

Flask is good, I use it to make Api bridges a lot, but for a database driven crud app I think it's a lot quicker with rails. For something basic you're hardly even writing any code.

I want to start an affiliate marketing website. From an SEO perspective, is WordPress superior or am I better off just building a site from scratch with HTML/CSS/JS? I'd much rather go with the latter option (because WordPress is bloated as fuck) as long as I know I'm not hurting myself SEO-wise.

In the grim darkness, from amongst the destitute and suffering apes of code, rises the one shining beacon of hope for all mankind.

Why haven't you taken your first steps at failing to understand reactive yet?

Can't have Let's Encrypt on LAN server, so figuring out alternatives. Not going to use a self-signed certificates either.

Might go with public+private keys for encryption coupled with one-time challenge to prevent replication attacks on login only. The problem is session cookie is still up for grabs. Might need to link the session cookie to IP, but then changing IPs becomes a hassle.

Anything that's on your webpage because of Ajax will not be indexed by Google, if SEO is your main concern and you absolutely need data from a backend PHP is the way to go unless you'd like to work with reactjs.

You don't need WordPress, per se, the same problem can be solved with PHP. It works because the page is built before returning to the front end, as PHP is executed between the request and response, so from the client's perspective the page was always built and so a Google bot will index it correctly.

At the moment, I'm developing efficient (cached) server side rendering to achieve the same thing. The current issue is it's not cross platform since vroomjs currently doesn't have a proper Linux build. If there's no Linux build it's useless to 90% of web hosts.

if you want the offers of a CMS, then yes Wordpress can be aviable option (since that's the only CMS I've handled so far). If not , better off with static HTML/CSS/JS.

Any decent CMSes written in statically typed functional languages?

I've slowly been converting drupal/wordpress shit-tier sites to Mezzanine, but would love to fuck around in haskell or something similar instead.

>Anything that's on your webpage because of Ajax will not be indexed by Google
This is not true anymore, google can index AJAX content.

>Today, as long as you're not blocking Googlebot from crawling your JavaScript or CSS files, we are generally able to render and understand your web pages like modern browsers.

Trust me, Google will not run your JavaScript files. It never will. What you're referring to is likely something else. My website blanks a landing backup page and then adds content with append statements. Google's bot only sees the landing backup page. I know this for certain. I've experienced this.

I'm aware of what Google published but no one has managed to get that to work... besides Google employees.

You still need to be mindful of SEO.

You answered to your question: if you are into angular, than its a good choice

So if I create a website/service around someones MIT licence codebase do I have any worries?

Fell asleep again after X time trying to learn Node.

>just want to maek vidya and lern cool stuff
>but have to lern something that will be maeking moneys

Why is life such a pain in the ass?

Typescript is being pushed by Microsoft into all their new stuff, so I think it has a much more significant future than the various memescripts alternatives.

MIT = You can do whatever the hell you want wit the code except sue the creator

If it's MIT no-false-attribs then you can't claim that you made it, but you don't have to say that they made it, either.

But user, I've already been using React for like a year.

Help me understand REST, why do i see some API advertise they are RESTful?
why is it such a big deal?
doesn't REST simply mean you can CREATE POST GET etc... ?

aye, api that uses http verbs is pretty much it.

low barrier of entry to use such apis compared to soap

seriously? I was checking out the Google GMAIL API and its right there on their front page

developers.google.com/gmail/api/

thats it?

what more did you want?

i was expecting some complex ground breaking stuff.

Recruiters also post that REST/API req all the time, thats like asking if you know how a binary tree works. It's common knowledge for anyone in this field.

I fucking hate BUZZ words

Can you demonstrate to us your knowledge on BUZZful API's?

>tfw postgresql

So what's everyone working on?

I'm trying to think of a small project I can push out in a day or two of programming, just because I don't have a lot of free time. But then again, I want to make an old school BBS which would take a lot more than a day

this:

need a OCR api. Free or OS if possible.

I want to scan in documents and have read handwritten text into my program

It's *slightly* more complicated than that. REST APIs are also supposed to conform to a few other guidelines.

Although, since REST isn't an official standard or anything, there isn't any requirement to follow those guidelines and many APIs don't.

Still leaps and bounds better than that SOAP bullshit though.

Anyone use taucharts.js???

Why is my Y-axis not sorted? It should go from 0 and up. All the documentations i find only have examples where you already know how many items there are, but im fetching it all from a database so its dynamic. Im prepping the data in an array in a for loop before giving it to the chart. Even if i sort the array beforehand it still wont work.

I swear to god ive tried over 9 billion different js chart libraries and every single one has some unique issue that fucks everything up.

Anyone use taucharts.js???

Why is my Y-axis not sorted? It should go from 0 and up. All the documentations i find only have examples where you already know how many items there are, but im fetching it all from a database so its dynamic. Im prepping the data in an array in a for loop before giving it to the chart. Even if i sort the array beforehand it still wont work.

I swear to god ive tried over 9 billion different js chart libraries and every single one has some unique issue that fucks everything up.

Btw im following this example but my data is inserted in a for loop with data from database
jsfiddle.net/taucharts/nLdac8sc/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=nLdac8sc

Well let me just use my magic crystal ball to take a look at your code and see what you did wrong.

Clearly you're an imbecile.

Clearly you're too autistic to consider there might be an issue, Mr. Google shill.

Reposting that entirely not helpful link is still entirely not helpful.

What is the difference between a webhook and an api call?

never really heard of these, but the difference would be that it's a third party that subscribes to some event and upon event you'll do the http api call to the other service.

Basically this.

As an example, let's say you want to make a bot that tweets every time you commit to a certain github repo. You'd set up the github webhook service to make a POST request to $yourServer any time you make a commit. Then $yourServer uses that POST data to formulate a tweet message and POST it to the twitter API.

Sorry was not at home. Mind im a total noob to JS so my code is probably horrid. Only difference with documenatation (jsfiddle.net/taucharts/nLdac8sc/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=nLdac8sc )i can see is i use a for loop for data, which somehow messes up the Y-axis.

var values = new Array();

for(var d = 1; d

>JavaScript will never be as beautiful as CoffeeScript

learning PHP for my web development class.

learned about type-hinting, and thought it was a pretty cool feature.

then apparently I heard that there is a lot of debate over this, and a lot of devs seemed really ass-pained over it. what is the problem? I don't get how it could possibly be a bad thing.

Yeah, lets just leave it open so that any damn type can be passed to my function. Cool.

>> 56740089
>> 56740189
Thanks guys. I don't plan on having any backend at all. It's just going to be a simple blog with a landing page and a few posts, so I'm going to use just HTML/CSS/JS. I've worked with WordPress quite a bit in the past but I feel like it's just too bloated for my desired use case.

I realized that my website's homepage sort of sucked, so I set off to try and improve it.

Is this a step in the right direction? It's not done, but I figured I should get some feedback before I work on it further, in case what I'm doing is terrible.

imagehex.com

Not bad user
I think there needs to be more differentiation color-wise between different parts of the nav bar at the top. Especially with the account creation part.

So I'm sitting here applying for entry level positions getting a little discouraged desu. I'm looking for front end dev jobs and I was just kind wondering, I'm sure you gents get these questions a lot. But I don't know anyone in the industry so I'd appreciate the help.

What level of javascript should I be having to apply for these entry level positions??

Also I know I can go into UX/design route, other than a little bit of extra money in front end dev, UX/design guys seem like they don't need to kill themselves in their off time learning new technologies/frameworks. Is this a fulfilling career path? I dunno whether to go dev side or design side or not. Obviously the difference is huge and I'm not really a graphic designer or anything but it seems petty damn easy.

How much does a front end dev have to talk to clients? Is it a constant thing? Do juniors have to talk to them?

Know of any resources outside of indeed, monster, etc... Where I can find listings?

Is it better/faster/easier to modify a locations resource on a file system (changing directory and/or filenames) than serving something from an endpoint verified and authenticated by an application or script?

For an example a private image on a social network, a video stream that "expires" (think YouTube and any service worth talking about), that sorta thing

>see job listing with a ton of requirements
>bulltshit my resume with shit to match what they're asking for
>go in for interview
>"Here's what we have so far. We need you to develop the remaining modules"
>icandothis.gif
>"You're an expert with PHP and Laravel, right"
>"Y...Yes"
>"Great, see you Monday at 9"
>mfw I lied
>mfw I have two days to learn Laravel and become an expert at PHP

fml

go for it, user. What have you got to lose? Worst case scenario, you go from Neet to Neet. But I'm betting they're not gonna fire you, even when they notice you're not as qualified as you said.

Plus, they don't actually expect to see results on the first day, so you have a few more days to get your shit together.

Get your resources, start studying, and when you just can't process any more information, take a quick walk outside, or a short nap, then get back to studying. And please, don't waste your time here on Cred Forums for the weekend.

I'd love for you to report back in a few days and tell us how it went. And if you're still around, gives us more info:

>location
>starting salary
>you got a degree/exp/any qualifications?
>if not, how did you learn to code?
>what languages do you actually know?
>full name/DOB/CC info?

>drop an unused domain because I found a better name
>some pajeet wastes his money dropcatching it
Why do these people exist?

I hope it's junior level position and you actually are familiar with PHP. Otherwise you will probably become good example why lying is bad. At least they expect you to continue working on existing thing not from zero.

>Sole developer in 1 office of a global company
>have to take on projects from around the company
>have to learn CSS, LESS, Angular, Django REST, Wordpress, PHP, Yaml, Ghost.js, Bootstrap, etc
Lads I could borrow some sanity

I'm competent in PHP, probably a bit better than that. They think I'm an expert, apparently - I don't even remember what I put on my resume. I don't have any experience working with any frameworks though and that's rustling my jimmies.

Thanks for the tips! I already have Laravel up and running. Turns out this will be a web app that gets a shit ton of users (government related) - probably over 100k hits a day when it's fully functional. Somewhere, somehow, I will fuck up and it might show.

>location
Caribbean (please contain your laughter)
>starting salary
Haven't discussed this yet. Dude said I should come in on Monday and we finalize the terms of our working relationship.
>you got a degree/exp/any qualifications?
BSc in CS.
>if not, how did you learn to code?
-
>what languages do you actually know?
PHP, JS, SQL, basic knowledge of Ruby, Python and C++
>full name/DOB/CC info?
pls

>What level of javascript should I be having to apply for these entry level positions??

Generally, good enough to know how to manipulate the DOM. It helps if you also know some meme frameworks like Angular, or some UI controls like Kendo.

>Also I know I can go into UX/design route, other than a little bit of extra money in front end dev, UX/design guys seem like they don't need to kill themselves in their off time learning new technologies/frameworks. Is this a fulfilling career path? I dunno whether to go dev side or design side or not. Obviously the difference is huge and I'm not really a graphic designer or anything but it seems petty damn easy.

UX/Design is not really coding. To me, it's not very fulfilling. Yeah, you design what the user sees and how it will feel, but to actually code it yourself is fulfilling to me.

But people find fulfillment in different things.

>How much does a front end dev have to talk to clients? Is it a constant thing? Do juniors have to talk to them?

Not usually. Usually, your boss or the project manager will talk to clients. They come back with the specs. If you're a junior, they will create a mockup of what the client wants (like where the buttons go), and you do it. If it's a super small company, you may have to talk to clients directly.

Anyone?

What do you mean?

Hey thanks user for answering me questions. I was really lost on the JavaScript skills, I know people in this field tend to underestimate their abilities and think they're not good enough.

There's a meetup somewhere around me that is all UX based and I was considering going there to network, but I'd rather do the coding. Lord knows it's going to take a ton of studying from here on...

Thanks again.

>does react itself handle responsiveness
That's the job of CSS. Plz go back to school