Fastest linux distro 2016?

yo f'am what is the FASTESTS linux distro in the year of our lord 2016?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3lq8ys/a_personal_case_comparison_of_system_resources_on/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you mean on x86, that newish intel one, cant remember the name.

There's a Reddit thread that was discussed here showing the speed of Gentoo and the user showed that he could get it to boot in a second or two. Anyone have the link?

gentoo

Gentoo. It's not even close.

Gentoo. I'm not kidding this time

Figures.
Ubuntu scores low in all categories.

>install gentoo

pepeSUSE is fast high as fuck

Fastest in terms of boot time, or overall performance?
Is a low score good or bad?
What versiion of mint on you're chart, because they just switched from upstart to sunnyD?

openPEPE

boot time has to do even with your bios. systemd-analyze

gentoo.

but the correct way to say this is: gentoo provides you with the tools for you to make a system that is faster than almost all other systems with default configurations.

if you install gentoo and include almost every use flag and use genkernel and install gnome3 then it's not going to be too much different than any other gnome distro. there will be very minimal gain from compiling from source and using -march=native but that's about it.

*but* if you use your use flags correctly you can easily strip your system of stuff that you might not need. for example, i don't use policykit, consolekit, acl, v4l, bluetooth, pulseaudio, sqlite, udisks, and a bunch of other shit. so that shit isn't compiled into my OS or programs. which means that less processes need to start at boot, programs can load faster, and overall it takes less ram. also i have a very minimal kernel which also affects boot speed i believe.

all of this being said, it's probably not impossible for you to do some/most of this on other distros, but gentoo provides you with the tools to do this very easily from the beginning.

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3lq8ys/a_personal_case_comparison_of_system_resources_on/

CFLAGS="-Ofast -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -floop-optimize-all"

Memes aside, it's Clear Linux ( assuming you're running Intel).

>buy SSD
wow! such fast boost, much performance

truly amaze

lol if you're a noob don't actually do this

i do have -fomit-frame-pointer in my cflags but i once read it's redundant if you use -O2? not sure.

most cancerous pic on the net. crawl back to your containment board

you still get shit battery life on laptops

I have a fast PC so every distro is fast.

clear linux
seriously, that shit is fast as fuck

and this post right here sums up why serious gentoo users get such a bad rep

why? i'm telling anybody that might be new to not completely rice their system. it breaks things most of the time and makes performance worse. wtf is wrong with that

Is Ubuntu really that slow? Is there a version that's fast like other distros?

?Thanks for answering a question I never asked.

Because you're a cargo culting idiot who thinks gentoo is about “ricing” CFLAGs, and doesn't understand the options he copy/pastes.

Go read funroll-loops.info

Chakra is ArchLinux based, and Sabayon is gentoo based.

Dude I don't know what was in your cereal this morning but chill. I have no idea what you're even arguing.

If you're new to gentoo don't even consider ricing with those options. Use -O2 and march=native. That's about it.

I have no idea how you could argue that, it's spouted on gentoo forums by developers non-stop.

>If you're new to gentoo don't even consider ricing with those options. Use -O2 and march=native. That's about it.
Let me fix that for you: If you use anything other than -O2 -march=native -pipe, you're a retard.

My time is too valuable for linux, and there's not enough video gaymes.
>did you notice the subtle sarcasm?

Somehow you're finding a way to argue with me and agree with me at the same time. Congratulations, you've got such a big fedora you've found a way to annoy even the purple your agree with

Notice anything, /gee/?

Chakra KDE
PCLOS KDE
Sabayon ?
Mandriva KDE
Mint probably Cinnamon (=GNOME)
Fedora GNOME
Ubuntu GNOME

It would be nice to have a source for that graph, though. Even if it would be a little antiquated since it lists Ubuntu 10.10.

Tinycore

Arch

>Not using -pipe
>agree with me
Look at this fucking retard lol.

>-march=native
What if I want to cross-compile?
>-pipe
What if I do my compiling in RAM anyway?
Or compile on system with low RAM?

I know you can set custom compiler flags in Arch then rebuild you're kernel or entire system using the ABS. I wonder if there would be any noticable difference on a modern computer.

>Current year
>Ubuntu 10.04/10.10

You're too retarded to get my point, it seems.

You're trying to suggest that only noobs should stick to the default CFLAGs, with 1337s like you using -fomit-frame-pointer and other cargo cult bullshit.

I'm trying to suggest that all of that is rubbish and there's no reason to stray from the defaults

that's it i'm switching to linux, windows is not even on the graph.....
I'm going to install chakra since it's the fastest

Anything with KDE.

gentoo
CFLAGS="-march=native -O9 -ffast-math -fgraphite-identity -floop-interchange -ftree-loop-distribution -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -ftree-vectorize -flto=8 -fuse-linker-plugin -ffat-lto-objects -fuse-ld=gold"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

>-O9

>LDFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
How horrifying

It's... beautiful

This far surpasses my own troll post. I hang my head in shame.

Stupid tripfag

you completely misread my post, i wasn't saying only noobs do this, i was saying "hey noobs don't listen to this guy" because they don't know any better

also, fomit-frame-pointer is one of the only options that doesn't really do any harm and theoretically can increase performance. if you don't want to use it then don't, but it's also completely safe and won't fuck up your system like others

Comparing older versions of ubuntu to current version of other distros.
>FUD

Didn't phoronix do a shoot out where it was not that much faster than the latest debian? Some results were better some worse some same.

>also, fomit-frame-pointer is one of the only options that doesn't really do any harm and theoretically can increase performance. if you don't want to use it then don't, but it's also completely safe and won't fuck up your system like others
Yes, and it's enabled by all optimization options (including -O), so specifying it yourself is just cargo cult bullshit by clueless funroll-loops browsers

here's how this entire conversation could have gone:

"hey i noticed you specified fomit-frame-pointer, you actually don't have to do that because O2 includes it by default"

"oh cool thanks man good to know"

but instead the gravity pushing your belly below your knees over the years caused stretch marks that you grew to resent, knowing that even if your hypothetical dreams of working up enough will power to diet, you had permanently fucked up your body in a way that no young, able bodied, disease-free woman would ever touch let alone spend the rest of their life with

Gentoo