/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

www95.zippyshare.com/v/j53iRTdu/file.html
amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TV4ABZA/ref=twister_B01JOGWFAS
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019DBR0D6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
searchengineland.com/google-tries-dropping-estimate-number-results-search-results-253405
amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Monitor-Supported-seamless/dp/B00ITORITU/
amazon.com/Acer-XB240H-Abpr-24-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B00QS0AK6U/
overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html
docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/SELinux_FAQ/index.html#faq-entry-public_html
amazon.com/Air-Tower-or-Some-Shit/dp/B01B4XUUDI/
amazon.com/Lasko-2551-Curve-Platinum-Cooling/dp/B000RL3UJA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474592997&sr=8-2&keywords=air tower
amazon.com/Air-Tower-that-moves-and-maybe-cools-the-air-down-a-little/dp/B0037W4YD2/
wiki.debian.org/KDE)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What torrent sites and client are you using?

[spoiler]On Windows[/spoiler]

I use Deluge. I don't know if it's pleb but it does the job and it's not µTorrent.

sure
www95.zippyshare.com/v/j53iRTdu/file.html

Does anyone know of an easy way to test my GPU for performance issues?

I have a GTX 590 and lately things have started lagging after gaming for about 40 minutes. The temperature on one of the cores also rise to 100C, I'm not sure if that's too high.

Can I SSH into a ubuntu (fresh install) pc even if it's not on my local network?

unengine

so Im torrenting like 5 games all got decent amount of seeders. If I download all 5 at once I get like 200 kb/s if I pause 3 I get 1.3 mb/s wtf? how does that work?

I tired the Heaven benchmark and it did fine in it. The issues doesn't happen before after I've been running something demanding for an extended period of time.

Did you set it to ultra and constantly let it run?

can recovering a TWRP backup onto a different rom than the one the backup was originally created on cause complications?

I made a liveUSB of a cracked Windows 7 installation and had to go to hell and back to make it work on newer Intel chipsets. However I need to make another liveUSB for something else but can't find my other thumb drive. Is there a program that creates an EXACT image of a thumb drive so I can restore it later?

I actually tried to make the same Win7 LiveUSB on another drive (when it was still around) and it failed miserably, so I want to keep the one that works working when needed.

Yes

Should I buy a pair of Micca mb42x and a amp
Or
Should I save an buy a pair of 305

I just listen to music, gaymz and anime

well what is it

On my S7 I accidentally added an extra language to the keyboard. How can I remove/disable it? I couldn't find the option anywhere.

Add input languages -> uncheck what you don't want

Oh boy, now I feel stupid. Good job I posted here. Thanks very much.

If you're not going to be helpful then find another thread user.

Anyone else having trouble with recent NVIDIA driver update? I updated my driver to 372.90 and Geforce Experience to 3.06.48; and now I keep getting an error 43 on my graphics card.

I answered your questions.
Yes, there are tools that will make an image of anything you tell it to image.
Now you know, and yon go about and google said programs.

>google.com
>how do form image usb
>search

You'd need to port forward. Instructions vary between routers.
Note that some ISPs block traffic on certain ports.
Also don't change the the port on which the ssh server runs into anything above 1024. On the ubuntu machine that is.

Do laypeople perceive text as being more scholarly/legitimate/cromulent when it's fully justified? Or do they not form that association?

Anyone here who understands streaming and bitrates and whatnot?

Let's say I had as strong PC as possible, some 4k $ build or whatever. Basically let's throw away the PC out of the equation altogether.
Now let's say I have a really really low upload. Let's say 1Mbps but i can only use like 70% of that or even less. Let's assume the least amount of upload possible.
Now, would it be possible to make the stream look really good even with very low upload and if so what settings to use. (in OBS that is to make things easier)
I am basically asking if having a shit PC can contribute to stream looking like shit and that if we remove it from equation and just look at raw upload speed, how good can one make a stream look?
We might as well assume we have really bad PC but infinite upload speed. Would the shit PC have any effect on the stream?

What does this Sound Keys bar show and can I manipulate it without changing the audio? Since it's constantly at 0.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how retarded is this?

can i use a vpn to get around a blocked port in at my university? i just need to be able to connect to a mining pool hub

INT_MAX

Will a Bequiet dark rock 3 be enough to cool a 6850K?

I want to stick with air cooling, but avoid the poo fans.

>Cred Forumsnurida feat david guetta - installing gentoo in da club.flac

The theoretical answer is complicated, but the practical answer is that it's not going to look great with anything you can do on your end. What are you wanting to stream?

2^∞

There is no need for ableist language here ok lady i luv ya buh bye :-)

Well I suppose league right now.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want 1080p super sharp 60 FPS. I just want it to look not too blurry, not buffer too much, not lag and so on. I am actually getting quite good results with the settings I am doing but I have a shit PC and just don't know how much is caused by internet and hwo much by PC. Basically it can't really handle encoding and playing the game properly it seems and I am wondering if that can have an effect on it.

Is there a e ink monitor avaible?

>two fermi

Change thermal grease?

No one is going to watch your LoL stream. There is no shortage of those.

Maybe, it is over 5 years old. Ran Heaven for about 30 minutes then did a benchmark. Both cores on the CPU reached 100C. I'll try a little longer later.

What if I were a girl though.
Anyawy that doesn't matter. I plan on streaming more than that but if I can't make League look good then it is all useless.

I have fermi's aswell kek
No matte what i do to them, they idle around 6c and will easily go over 100c at peak
I've repasted them every year,they just will not cool down.
I've never had issues with the high temps though.
What pci lanes are them on? Do they have ample intake?

I had the same issue with my XPS l702x. Now the temperature is okay, it's probably the thermal grease after 5 years of load.

Slot 2 and 3 in a Corsair 650D on a standrad ATX.

I'm probably going to build a new PC anyway, but I want to make sure everything is good so I can sell my old one.

Can you move them apart a lane or two?
irst card has little air to pull in,and is getting radient heat from the second card

noticed my gpu running stupid hot so i took it apart and the thermal paste on the heat sink is like solidified and hard. card is close to 2 years old or so(r9 290x). does thermal paste do this? should i put a fresh dab on it?

might have to do with your connection limit, if the three you paused have only slow seeders? there's all sorts of possible reasons that would be hard to diagnose without seeing your full settings

>cromulent

yes, as long as the vpn's port is not also blocked of course

no, because the way e-ink refreshes has very little to do with how normal monitors work (it refreshes parts of the screen as needed, instead of the whole thing at 60fps) so you generally need a different approach to how the entire GUI functions
however, there are/were a couple (rare, expensive) panels that get kinda close to e-ink while still using lcd technology - search for "pixel qi"

It's only one card that takes up two slots. The 590 is basically two underclocked 580's in one card.

I asked this in the /dpt/ but didn't get a response -

Does anyone here know of a way to use a PBKDF2 derived key to generate a public-private key pair with RSA in JavaScript? I can't find any libraries that do it for me.

I'm just trying to reimplement what cryptico does but without all the lack of being maintained anymore, seeding a PRNG with the password, and being all-rights-reserved.

yes, get some new paste on there. make sure to clean the old off proberly with rubbing alcohol or arctic clean.

Installed the NVIDIA whatever support for DDS on photoshop and this is what happens when I try to open a DDS file with it, what do?

i have one together with the 6600k (oc), it's great

4 core is a bit different that a hyperthreaded 6 core.

if you're worried, get the dark rock pro. but it is most likely unneeded.

maybe look at cryorig
i have their r1 ultimate or whatever and it performs the same as a noctua dh-15, and looks much better while still being just as quiet

Not really.

Obviously not, you absolutely need the most expensive air cooler you can find.

Have you even seen the stock coolers?
A 212 Evo would be enough...

do you keep your chrome tabs after flashing a new rom?

sync them WITH DA CLOUD

>6850k max tdp 140 W
>dark rock 3 max cooling 250 W

absolute overkill

Well, I planned to do some overclocking. 250w TDP is nothing with intel housefires.

What are people running that benefits at all from overclocking?

which part of 'max' do you not understand? the cpu will throttle/shutdownyourpc/melt if you go any higher than max. here, 145 W is the absolute maximum you can do, even with with heavy OC and who knows how stable it is.

the dark rock 3 is absolute overkill.

next time use google

tripcode explorers

Games. Single thread performance matters a lot.

Actually the only reason to buy anything above 6600K is games, because who the fuck cares if your render takes a few minutes more?

Can I mix RAM from different brands and GBs?

So my PC sometimes won't even turn on, and sometimes it reboots randomly reboots without BSOD. CPU/GPU temperatures are fine, and putting load on the GPU seems to not matter, because I just played some shit and it didn't reboot at all. Sometimes after rebooting, it won't start straight away either. Also happened under Safe Mode. I'm on win7 64. Any clue to what might be wrong?

I want to connect 2 speakers and a sub to my computer, do I need an av receiver or can I just use a simple amp?

Is there any reason to DBAN my HDD if I'm going to physically destroy it anyway?

Yes, your motherboard will modify them to make them work.
Still you should buy the same sticks to avoid prioblems.

What are my options when it comes to low noise HDDs? Do lower RPMs perform worse than higher RPMs? This drive will mainly be for storing chinese cartoons, chinese cartoon-related music, and a shitton of pictures.

name one game that utilizes 6 cores 12 threads. just one.

the 6700k is better for gaming than the 6850k, heck even the 6600k beats it in terms of single core speeds and there is little to now difference in quad core speeds (which is what the vast majority of modern games use).

you would be better off getting a 6600k now and getting a 6 core when it's needed and cheaper.

unless you do video editing or CAD, you've wasted your money on something you don't need.

If I have a Corsair 2x4, do I have to buy the same 2x4 or can I buy just an 1x8?

What is a fairly innocuous file extension I can attach to an encrypted file container?

I'm using .dump right now as in like a packet or frame capture, but as the container should grow, I'm not sure if .dump would look plausible at that point. I was thinking about .raw, but let's say a container starts to get to point of 50+GB's. What file extensions would seem plausible to be attributed to a file that size?

Asking purely for hypothetical reasons ins security to play around with.

An amp with the appropriate outputs should be enough, but may give you less control over how much power goes to each thing. You can always do software equalization. Maybe hold off on the sub if you haven't bought it yet and don't have a standalone house to yourself. You may find yourself content with just woofers while not irritating your neighbors or cohabitants.

>name one game that utilizes 6 cores 12 threads. just one.

Not the game. But you can dedicate your rendering shit to 8 threads, while gaming on the remaining 4 threads without sweet FPS, thanks to overclocking.

No.

Assuming by "physically destroy" you mean "shatter the platters."

>name one game that utilizes 6 cores 12 threads. just one.

GTA 5

p.s. sage

The motherboard can usually tune a 10%-20% OC on its own (4.0Ghz-4.8Ghz).
Here a 6700k is $540nzd. 6700(3.4Ghz) is $480nzd.
You get so much better performance per dollar. Not sure if its noticeable or not but on paper it makes sense.
If the 6700 was alot cheaper, I might have gotten that.

so that's a no?

Yes.
Thanks.

what did he mean by this?

unless you sync, then no, you lose everything

PC Build question

I'm not sure how RAM overclocking and XMP works. Digital Foundry vid showed that an i3 6100 benefits from faster DDR4.

If I buy an h170 board, does it support DDR4 faster than 2133? Could I overclock 2133 memory on such a board? What if I buy faster memory, would that overclock?

Or do I have to upgrade to z170 if I want to run RAM faster than 2133MHz?

Looking to run 8GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz

Buy 2x4.

chinese moot said he is going to shut down Cred Forums at the end of the year

Is there a player on android that will loop webm's without pressing anything?

Gifs always look but webm's play like pure video.

Really shouldn't be doing automated overclocking, though.

Most of the motherboards' implementations will overvolt too much, which causes higher than necessary heat & can degrade CPUs faster.

What is duckduckgo doing when I search using just the ! operator and no bang after it?

for example
! telnet
takes me to the wiki page for telnet while
! install gentoo
takes me to the install gentoo wiki

Is it kinda like i'm feeling lucky?

Hey G so im trying to set up a dual monitor set up and my pc wont detect the vga cable I tried 2 vga cables with two different monitors and neither will be detected by the pc any help is apppreciated

If I'm interested in Network Security but I can really program, how do I get an internship? Get the Sec+ Cert?

Get a I5-6400/6500.
You need a Z170 motherboard for XMP, fuck jews.
DDR4 can go up to 3400MHz, but fuck timings right?
Games wont run faster unless you are using a IGPU.

internship that requires certs? are you fucking kidding me

Temps don't go past 50c.
Would barely even consider it an OC.

Ah, I kind of just lumped subs and woofers into one group. I already have a small sub so I guess it doesn't really matter. I'll just look into amps that use the little wires

The heat is a secondary point.

I'd be more concerned about stupid motherboards which allow your voltages to spike to 1.4V under load, which can blow the chip entirely. These fluctuations are why everything is done manually, when it's done seriously.

ssd

dont give it a filename
throw it on your main drive, it could be a forgotten trace file hanging out over time

I wanna factory reset my Moto G2 but its not letting me, i cant soft reset it and i cant hard reset it.

It doesnt let me select the option when i try to press it on settings and when i try to use the factory reset trough hard reset it says: no command.

Time for warranty?

Guys I need your advice. No experience with programming whatsoever but I've always been interested.

In my job I have to jot down a lot of shit on a notepad and then transfer everything to a computer.

I wanna make a program that's just data entrying and saving automatically into a spread sheet or text document. A simple gui with boxes to fill to have on my netbook available at work. (First part of my job is not in an office so no computer)

What program would be better for this? This is just for ease of use on my part so the simplest and fastest the better.

At work we use sites with Oracle databases. Should I look into that and try to make something similar? I've really have no clue but im eager to learn, so yeah shoot.

What is the name for screws that have thread at the tip, then no threading up to the head?

~Chrome_Crash_Dumps

Thanks!

How is this build?

Don't know if I'm going 480 or 1060, depends on what is cheaper when I'm buying this.

Are you talking from experiance?
Because what your saying is the makers of my motherboard just yolo'd the voltage offset and didn't test and monitor a simple .4Ghz overclock for the profile that they created.
Obviously I wouldn't dial up the multiplier to ridiculous amounts and leave the voltage on auto.
It's an Asus Z170-AR, I expect the ability to use their profiles.

Its better then babbe's first cs degree

About fucking time.

how do I customize rxvt-unicode?

it is happening

What is the big deal with Unix? Timesharing? Linking programs with readable inputs and outputs? I don't get it, what features do these things have in 2016?

>phone tells me 9.4 GB of memory are used up
>select all folders and they only take up 4.5 GB
The same deal happens on my external SD. Am I missing something or do I have to reformat everything?

Yes, but my experience is with Haswell(-E) boards. I use X99, so I can't comment on Z170 implementations.

They don't usually "yolo the voltage", but motherboard OEMs cater to the worst of the silicon lottery, meaning they use high voltages for mild OCs. e.g. 1.3V for a 4.4GHz OC (which can be obtained @ 1.15~1.20V if you have a good chip). There are certain instructions which will spike voltages (AVX2 and the like), which puts it in unsafe spaces.

This all depends on the motherboard and their implementation though. MSI / Gigabyte were notably bad during Z97

a laptop with notepad
a table notepad
a phone with notepad

Quick question, what place is the PS3 go to place?
Has an active community, a FAQ where I can learn about jailbreaking, you know, the best PS3 everything site

Is there any way to play and browse at the same time on a two monitors setup? Windows 7 here

Windowed mode on any game.
Ruins immersion though.

But it will lose focus when I click on the second monitor. There is no other way?

One more thing to add to this: Skylake is especially sensitive to overvolting due to the electromigration issues which occur @ 14nm.

I have an RX480 8GB, but I've come into a wee bit of money lately.

Do I buy a second RX480 or sell the one and buy a 1070?

bumperoo

I use Rufus
Pic related, and attitude toward you two also related. Fucking herbs, both of you.

How else are you going to browse? Do you want your game to shoot or whatever every time you click a hyperlink?

Something I've done is use two different sets of input devices. Like controller + emulator for games with downtime. I don't know if Windows will let you do that with keyboard and mouse. Maybe play something that can entertain you on its own? Or listen to a public radio stream?

7, and thats bearing in mind that this was almost certainly done intentionally.

You waited 6 minutes, fuck off

el bumpo

Yeah, I was being dumb. The only problem I'm facing now is the window border, is there any setting to remove it?

Which game?

So for some reason I suddenly can't access some sites. They don't seem to be following any kind of pattern (like, amazon.com works but amazon.co.jp doesn't, Youtube works but twitch doesn't etc). This is on all browsers as well as my phone.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

I've got a nice pair of Sennheiser cans, but now i need a microphone to tape onto them/have situated near to them as i am upgrading from my built-in microphone in my laptop to a real PC.

What are some good stand-alone microphones that produce decent audio that CS teammates, TS people and the ocassional skype person wouldn't go insane listening to?

guys I stopped gaming in 2013 and haven't kept up with video games since then, but am tempted to go buy an xbox one

please stop me, i'm an adult now
help me

nobody (hyperbole) has the bandwidth to stream raw 1080 video and even if they did it would tank the streaming sites to a certain extent.
You will need a decent PC performance. What is most valuable (aside from a dedicated GPU) is to have the video recording/rendering done on a seperate hard drive.
By seperate I mean seperate from the system. You could have all of your other games and rare squirrel porn on this disk but not windows. Helps if its a solid state but thats on you.
I only did one or two twitch streams (speed runs of super metroid hacks) but I have done several HD recordings that I would edit and splice and throw on youtube and having the destination for these long videos be a non-system solid state probably helped more than the overclocked 980 TI.

Emulators and some other games

And additionally now that i think of it,

What is a good keyboard i could buy for my PC? I prefer mechanical keyboards and could see myself spending a few extra bucks to get that fucking sexy clickedyclack + lastability.

What is a good screen i could buy for my PC? I like accurate colours.

Recommendations for a college laptop? Price range around 500

-battery life
-light (gotta carry it around all day)
-it types
-hdmi port
-wouldn't mind one of those new styles that fold and allow you to write on it w a stylus like a tablet

thanks, the sticky didn't have very good recommendations

thank you jolly old friend
i shall sync to DA CLOUD immediately
i shall also take to calling it 'DA CLOUD from now on as well
cheers

If you're going to buy a console, at least buy the winner of this gen (PS4). XBONE has worse specs

Or just build/buy a proper PC

I find an odd gaming sessions makes me sharper and more productive. It's okay to play video games as long as you don't become a pathetic chucklefuck who makes it their entire identity. Doesn't PS3 have more/better exclusives? I like the controller more because the button symbols have meaning when mapped how the designer intended. Do you not have a desktop you can throw a $200 GPU into? There's lots of PC exclusives that can rarely be enjoyed by anyone but adults.

oh yeah and preferably one that will last at least a few years (i haven't had a laptop since about 2007 idk how long they last nowadays)

There's also lots of PC games that don't even need a deditated GPU card. That poster should start with those to see if they even still enjoy video games.

I have a $600+ desktop, but I don't play games on it because I used to be addicted. i stopped gaming in 2014.

I don't plan on even playing online games anymore, but I kind of want to play Halo MCC because of nostalgia, and maybe try out the new mass effect. I keep so little track of games anymore, I don't even know of any other new releases besides those too.

Like many of you, I used to be a turbonerd but then I got older and it just wasn't fun to me anymore.
I built my PC only to discover I don't really like games anymore, and I don't want a repeat of that situation.
However, I agree with you that a little bit of gaming never killed anyone

wat do?

P-Please respond

go to audiophile general
go to mechanical keyboard general

>look mommy I'm a grown man

There are literally no games for either console
>sony
Enjoy having all your info hacked by 10yr olds every quarter

There is so much wrong with this post i cant even find a place to start at

It seems you want us to give you permission to buy a console for just one game. Do it if you want, dumbass.

you waited 10 minutes
fuck off

I couldn't post on chan for 3 months, connection errors all the time
had to change my isp
I don't know give your isp a call

If you want to drop $600 on a Halo box, go for it. You're an adult, you can waste money however the fuck you want. Whether you'll get $600 of enjoyment out of it is another issue.

Maybe try out Halo 2 on your PC before dropping the money to see if it's just nostalgia.

Why do people say RSS is deprecated/obsolete? What is the supposed replacement for it? I still use RSS all the time, even set up custom feeds for static sites that don't support their own sometimes when I want notifications of when stuff is added or changed. Not sure what technology is supposed to suit this need better that is as ubiquitous as RSS is, am I just way behind the times or what?

whatever choice i make my post is still a shitpost

i just wanted to come and post this on my personal blog, because these last few years i've done everything to distance myself from who i used to be - worked 3 different jobs now, i am entering my 3rd year of college, picked up an instrument, even got fit

but i want Cred Forums to validate my existence, because i feel like i'm regressing by going back to my childish urges. i'm going to do it anyways, even though it will cause me to feel over how i'll be sitting alone looking at a screen

thanks personal blog subscribers!

Might the ones that work have IPv6 addresses, and the ones that don't are IPv4 only?

I've seen this happen with Comcast and those craptastic gateway devices they rent to people. Something goes funky in the router part of it and IPv4 ceases to work right, but you keep IPv6 connectivity. Resetting it might help, but it's usually only temporary. You might get something from a factory reset.

The real fix is to log into the damned thing, set it to bridge mode, and buy a real router.

Can a SSD be bottlenecked by a CPU?

Intel Atom N450.

My ex couldn't stop jerking off to Thunderf00t long enough to fuck me. Is Thunderf00t a virgin?

Why would the property & evidence division of a police department in the next city over call my cell phone out of the blue? I can't remember ever being in the area any time recently so I don't think I lost something or whatever. Is it most likely just a wrong number or something? Didn't leave a message and called when I was on the shitter, not sure if I should call back or what.

Not cheap for large sizes.

deus vult, motherfucker

Yes, but it's probably not going to happen unless the SSD is encrypted, while the CPU doesn't have AES-NI instructions.

For normal usage, that Atom would be able to push ~400MB/s throughput probably

I wouldn't expect it to be meaningfully so, unless you are encrypting it or something.

Does windows 7 have built in hotkeys (like F10 or something not media keys) to control the master volume? or is there a way to set this?

How do I restore Windows 10's Quick Access "folder" to default view settings?

It used to show categories like libraries, drives, and recent/frequent files, with large icons for the first two, and small icons for the recent files. Now the icons are all mixed together and just sorted by name. It's retarded.

Normally I'd right click the folder and go to properties, or right click an empty space in it and change Group By. But there is no properties on Quick Access, and Group By is grayed out.

Thank you my friend, i found the mechanical keyboard general. Is the audiophile general called literarily "audiophile general"?

Is a 6-drive raid 10 setup a retarded concept? I have six extra drive slots on my case, but I'm having trouble finding a raid card that could use six drives (and isn't horribly expensive).

It will be bottlenecked by SATA 2 anyway.
Its a old ASUS EEPC with a gen 1 atom but gets the job done as a MSOffice machine.

I barely can play 480p on youtube with it so i was wondering if a SSD would bottleneck it.
HDD is kill so i thought buying one for it.

Thanks for the reply, but I somehow stumbled upon the problem. I disabled my Windows Firewall and suddenly I was able to access those sites again. However I still find it weird, since I always had it enabled before and was still able to visit them. Any idea what I can do here?

I dunno, it's just kind of expected. I agree the whole tip culture is cancer and employers should just pay their employees properly rather than make them beg their customers for donations, but fucking over the guy bringing my stuff isn't going to make anything better.

Besides, I kind of felt sorry for him since I padded my order with a bunch of cheap bottled water since it didn't meet the $20 minimum, so he kind of had to work a bit harder than he otherwise would have.

HOW DO I RESTORE THE NUMBER OF GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS REEEEEEEEEEEE

I'VE CLEARED COOKIES AND CACHE AND I'M NOT SIGNED IN

Congrats. Be the change you want to see, user.

I hope you're doing well in life, but it seems like you still have issues with self-confidence/loathing. I do not think it is bad to indulge in childish behavior provided that it doesn't harm others, yourself, and that you don't let it become addictive and consume you.

p.s. kill yourself faggot nobody calls me a turbonerd

FUCK! ARE THEY REALLY GONNA SHUT IT DOWN? SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN.

It's over, user. Time to move on to leddit.

Get a 850 evo.
Try a EVGA PSU.
You cant use XMP on B150, try PC partpicker for motherboard reviews.

Fuck... Can you explain a bit more?

Anyone got a link to a buying guide (not the shitty one in the sticky) or recommended college laptop list then?

He's yanking your pecker brah. Dude isn't going to pay upwards of $30 million for the rights to the site only to arbitrarily decide to shut it down for no reason.

is paul's security weekly Cred Forums approved?

Ok good, what is happening then?

Hiroyuki's shutting us down. What else is there to explain?

I have a mobo+cpu combo that is actually pretty powerful, second gen i7

when salvaging I sort of forgot there were no onboard graphics, so I now have a pc that is working fine but I need to get a dedicated graphics setup for it.

I need help. What is a super budget gpu that will still be compatible with modern stuff? i.e. the cheapest gpu I can get that works in a simple pci-e plugin and won't be incompatible with programs that sort of use the GPU made in the last few years.

Not gaming on the PC, so power doesn't matter. Just compatibility.

Autohotkey.

Best I can tell, a separate app for each site. Unless you want that, ignore them and use RSS.

Piping one command's output into another is really powerful, along with the "everything is a file" setup. Sure a GUI is easier to use, but you're basically limited to tasks the programmer thought of. With a UNIX-like command line, you can connect commands together to do new things.

For instance, say you want to automatically download a full manga from a site that shows you one page at a time, with previous/next/up buttons at the bottom of each. For GUI, you have to either find a program for downloading from this particular site, or use a website copier and hope you can adjust the options in a way that it will download only that and not other random junk (then you have to retrieve the images from the subdirectories they're in). With a Bash command line, you can download the first page's HTML, then figure out grep commands that will give you the image URL and the next page URL. Then you can make a loop that loads a page, downloads the image, extracts the next page URL, and repeats.

>Dude isn't going to pay upwards of $30 million
Fucking what.

i'm gonna have to use fucking firefox aren't i

and if gjewgle had blessed my firefox as well i'd have to use fucking internet explorer

Any networking master in here?

Which one should I get for long lasting and better overall ?

The NETGEAR EX7000 DESKTOP
amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TV4ABZA/ref=twister_B01JOGWFAS

OR

THE NETGEAR EX7300
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019DBR0D6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which ons is better?

Why should I get a monitor instead of a HD TV?

TV prices are much lower at the same frame rate/resolution/size.

Current TVs, especially Vizios have way more latency. There's probably other reasons. Every Vizio I've connected a PC to has been unusable with a mouse because it trails so far behind.

monitors have more specific settings to make it more comfortable to sit nearby. they also tend to offer higher quality visuals in the same specs range, but this isn't always necessarily true. If you're dealing with cheap monitors and cheap TVs you'll usually find the only difference is the better settings and quality of life for sitting right up against the monitor. If it's, say, a third monitor above your head or something you're better off buying a TV. If it's your primary monitor I'd generally take the higher quality of life display.

PC monitors also offer things like 16:10 aspect ratio, or even ultrawide monitors, which are incredibly valuable for people who want to be productive.

16:9 is awful for anything other than gaming and watching movies.

no, it's probably for fagging up Cred Forums

also check response time on TVs, you will rarely find a TV that is cheaper than a PC monitor with the same specs that also has competitive refresh rates. You want 5ms or less these days.

input lag

some TVs are ok if you have them in game mode but the cheaper low end TVs you're probably looking at might be too slow

Is cybersecurity/information security a good field to go into?

Whatever has the most vertical resolution is better. A proper 16:10 resolution is good, but a 16:9 with the sides cut off to make it 16:10, like on the current MacBook Air, is worse in every way. And I prefer 9:16 for my portrait monitor. It's already wider than anything I've worked on.

anyone at all???

who can tell me which one is better Extender?

>Whatever has the most vertical resolution is better
I definitely agree with this. 16:9 is not a good resolution for browsing the internet.

EX7000:
>Extreme dual band Wi-Fi speed-up to 1900 Mbps

EX7300:
>Dual band Wi-Fi speed up to 2200 Mbps

2200 > 1900. Though, most of my network experience has to do with enterprise switches, not WiFi extenders, so I couldn't tell you more.

Eh, no

That's an aspect ratio, not a resolution. If you have two monitors with the same vertical resolution and height, but one is slightly wider, that won't magically make it worse.

No reason if they are indeed the same. A few issues to watch for though:

Often a "120 Hz" TV will not accept a 120 Hz input. Instead it takes a 60 Hz input (i.e. nearly all HD content) and runs it through some algorithm to generate the other half of the frames, or doubles each frame and then blinks the backlight to help hide the times when the LCD is changing.

TVs use various "enhancements" that you may or may not be able to turn off:
- Overscan. It lops off the edges of the picture and scales what's left up to the panel size. You can compensate with underscan on the PC if your GPU settings let you, but then you've still got a ~1880x1000 image stretched to 1920x1080 for instance.
- Enhanced color, sharpness, contrast, etc. These make some video look better, but will always make text ugly as fuck.
Again, many TVs let you turn all this off and display the image as input on HDMI.

Latency as mentioned. On some of them it's as bad as a half second. It's almost impossible to aim your mouse if you don't see the result of an action for a half second. Even one frame of lag makes mouse movement feel sluggish.

And the occasional TV doesn't even use a panel that's the exact pixel dimensions of the input. Most video doesn't look bad scaled slightly, but computer screen images do.

I recently helped a friend set up a Raspi connected to a Samsung smart TV from 2013. The panel is 1920x1080 as advertised, there is no visible latency, and all enhancements could be turned off. It worked great.

Check cache and extra folder.

>16:9 is awful for anything other than gaming and watching movies.
>16:9 is not a good resolution for browsing the internet

I don't see the issue. Yes, it is definitely too wide to comfortably read full-width text pages on, and too short if you zoom the font size. But just don't maximize the window and you're set. I typically browse or program with roughly a 4:3 window, with the remainder of the 16:9 showing IRC, foobar2000, or API references. It works fine.

And yes I've used 16:10. It's a bit nicer but not the huge deal some people here would have you believe. Don't maximize everything like a spastic and you're good.

Get GTX 1070.
SLI/Crossfire is never worth the investment.

hey Cred Forums,
so if you have a verizon smartphone. it comes gsm unlocked from factory. meaning you can put in most gsm carrier sim card and add its apn setting and everything will work. you can make calls, receive mms messages, and data/internet will work.

my question is
is that the same for verizon tablets?
if I put a gsm carrier sim card with data service will it work once I set up the apn setting for that carrier like on the phones?

thank you for your time.

This? Works on my machine™

x200,x201,x220.

why is youtube showing me ads now

why has ublock+firefox forsaken me?

>HOW DO I RESTORE THE NUMBER OF GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS REEEEEEEEEEEE

Funny enough, I googled exactly that string and got this: searchengineland.com/google-tries-dropping-estimate-number-results-search-results-253405
Looks like Google's trying out a new ugly Material Design looking results page on some random users. Your Chrome is one of the unlucky ones, mine isn't.

Try clearing all cookies from google.com and reroll.

oh i got it back now thank god

i sent a feedback message with something like RESTORE THE RESULTS COUNT ON GOOGLE SEARCH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD so maybe they showed mercy and fixed it for me, or maybe it was from closing incognito mode and opening it again

they do these experiments on random users so different people get different user interfaces. hopefully the version without the results count and wide spacing between results won't become the norm.

Can I easily run a live Linux os off a USB?
If so which distro you recommend Cred Forums?

How can I easily run a linux os off just a usb?
Also which Distro does Cred Forums recommend for that?

bump

>or maybe it was from closing incognito mode and opening it again
Bingo. It's random. Tossing your identity with them and starting a new one rerolls. Close it and open it a few more times and you'll probably get the new look again.

>Can I easily run a live Linux os off a USB?
Yes. Assuming you're using Windows now, you'd just download the iso and use a tool like Rufus or unetbootin to write it to the USB stick. This will erase anything that's on it now, but you can use it for storage again once your Linux image is there.

>If so which distro you recommend Cred Forums?
If you're just starting out with Linux, Ubuntu is a good bet. Or Kubuntu or Xubuntu if you want a more normal GUI).

Or, if you're the type that learned to swim by diving in the deep end with no water wings, try Gentoo.

again. If your computer came with Windows 8/8.1 or 10 right now, your machine likely has UEFI and Secure Boot enabled. You'll have to disable Secure Boot in UEFI setup, then either enable CSM/legacy booting in UEFI setup, or create your USB as "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" in Rufus.

If you're new to Linux, Ubuntu.
If you're already good with Ubuntu, Debian.
If you're looking for a change of style, Fedora
If you like Fedora but hate GUIs, CentOS.

With any of the GUI versions, I'd recommend LXDE as the desktop environment if you can find a spin for it. LXDE is a lot more lightweight than Gnome or KDE.

why does no one talk about CCTV equipment here? is no one at all interested in them?

I'm somewhat comfortable with linux. I put together a spare pc from parts I had lying around and wanted to run linux on it. Only part I dont have atm is the hard drive, waiting on that to arrive in the post. Shouldn't be a problem to do a full install of a linux distro on a usb? And running it off the usb is what I meant.

Any UWfags here? Where are some good places with free wifi near campus where I can torrent?

reposting from last thread:
trying to wipe a friends laptop, but its a fucking horrible $300 piece of shit. lenovo s21e, no usb boot option in bios (there isnt even a bios menu, its only one option and thats to boot windows), no disk tray, and cant login. it gives the "your pc is offline" and some other error when i try the pass. she swears its that pass as she uses it for everything. is there anything i can do here besides taking the hd out and hooking it to my pc? i really dont want to have to open this fucker

Stupid question
But I'm going to OC my CPU for the first time
A 4770k with a EVO212 if you're curious.
But is there and problem with setting my voltage to 1.2v straight away, or should I start with 1.1v then to 1.2v when I need to

Hey,

which monitor should I buy?
I'm gonna use it as my main monitor for gaming and stuff, my current main monitor (Asus VE248H) will be used as a 2nd monitor then.

amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Monitor-Supported-seamless/dp/B00ITORITU/

amazon.com/Acer-XB240H-Abpr-24-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B00QS0AK6U/

Here's the thing about live USBs; they do weird things for data saving. A live USB is basically a live disc. But to allow you to work off it, you can set up a partition to save changes. It's all got a bit of an arcane witchcraft feel to it, and I'm not entirely sure how it works. Something about saving FS changes elsewhere and then re-writing them on boot. That was my understanding when I tried to look up what was happening, anyway.

To avoid all of that mess, use two drives. One LiveUSB, and another to be the install location. The second USB will just be set up as if it was a hard drive, and everything will be normal.

It depends on the distro. You'd need one that has a "full install" option on the live distro, like Ubuntu does. Still, customizations you make in the live environment are wiped away at reboot (though some distros let you have a persistent overlay partition on the USB to preserve them). Either way, when you install you get a clean system, not a clone of what you were running.

You may be able to *install* Linux to a USB stick the same as you would to a HDD -- NOT like a normal live environment. Then you'd be using the USB exactly as you would an HDD, and moving to the HDD would be about how it is migrating from one drive to another.

Tip on doing this: Make sure fdisk's DOS compatibility flag is off and units are sectors when partitioning it! You don't want partitions starting at odd numbered sectors in flash memory. Best to align to 1M (2048 sector) boundaries, as is the default when DOS compatibility is off and units are sectors.

With no USB / CD booting, no. Just take it out.

How do I make this dumb shit stop popping up in fullscreen video?

Disable Secure Boot, enable CSM/legacy booting. When Secure Boot is on, you can only boot things signed by keys it recognizes. By default that's Windows.

Alternately boot from a Windows install USB, shift-F10 to get a command prompt, diskpart, select disk 0, clean all. This should overwrite all sectors with zeroes. If it works it will take a long time to complete.

Start with high voltages, and work downward after you've found the multi you want your chip at

Some useful resources for Haswell OCing:
overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html

Thats a bunch of valuable info, thanks user!

huh the idea never actually occurred to me to use 2 usbs... that's probably the easiest solution. I'll give it a go! Thanks

>diskpart, select disk 0, clean all
You might throw a "list disk" or "list partition" in there to make sure you're about to wipe the hard disk and not your USB before you do clean all.

Bump

The BenQ

I see. ty

fuck lenovo. i figured id have to do that, thanks

>disable secure boot
how? already said i cant get into the pc
>boot from install usb
again, how? cant boot from usb, and ive already put win 10 on my flash drive but cant get the laptop to let me install from it

Yes

>how? already said i cant get into the pc
From BIOS setup. Secure Boot is usually under security and CSM booting under boot. Secure Boot has to be off before you can enable CSM. Also see what boot devices are enabled and disabled.
>again, how? cant boot from usb, and ive already put win 10 on my flash drive but cant get the laptop to let me install from it
How did you put it on there, and did you test that your USB actually works in another UEFI machine? Also if USB booting is disabled in BIOS setup, you won't have much luck booting from it.

>From BIOS setup
Different systems use different keys at the BIOS logo screen to get there or to a menu that leads there. Common ones include F2, F10, delete, enter and space.

My home network has ~3mB/s speeds. Not willing to drop a lot of money but I do have some spare computer parts.
Do you guys think building a low powered PC as a router be a viable way to speed it up? I'm thinking openwrt or something like that

How would building a cutom router speed up your internet connection?

Depends entirely on how dogshit your current router is. What is it?

Low-end routers aren't fast enough to handle modern high-end internet connections. An el cheapo from office depot will choke on gigabit speeds, for example.

I meant LAN. Currently got a pi hooked up via Ethernet. My computer is also on a power line adaptor and I still get shit speeds.
Live in Australia so decent internet speeds is nothing but a wet dream for me

Are Thinkpads good as regular laptops? Like are they portable, run cool, and have good battery life?

It's a bipac 7800nl
>Pic related

I have one but it gets pretty hot. They're heavy and bulky depending on the model but they have pretty decent battery life and customer support is nice afaik. They're pretty sturdy too. Mines been thrown twice and it's still kicking

But 3 megaBITS per second is near the low end of dsl, which is what I assume he meant.

Your problem is probably the powerline adaptor. They tend to be shit depending on your houses wiring. Run everything with ethernet and forget this custom router nonsense.

Some are. Refurb business laptops are often a good option for something cheap that will last.

What's so bad about systemd?

Thinness is a meme, but I wouldn't buy Lenovo.

The Unix philosophy is one program, one function. Systemd does a lot of things. The code's apparently a clusterfuck too.

help me o/g/-wan kenobi, you're my only hope. why can't apache write to these folders when it owns them and has rwx?

>inb4 have you tried 777?

Can someone please explain to me what "Maximum Bitrate" means?

I have a video with a Video Bitrate of 744kbps and a file size of 157MB but the metadata says the maximum bitrate is 3 061. What does that mean?

How hot does it run? I would like a machine to use to shit post from bed.

>Thinness
I never even mentioned that...

I might honestly rarely ever use it but it would be nice to have a laptop that I could potentially take places, but mostly for using it in bed or some shit.

I meant 3 megabytes. I get the same speeds on wifi too so idk, I just use the power line adapter for an Ethernet connection to the modem so I can mess with it if something goes wrong with the wifi

apparmor/selinux. cat syslog or audit.log?

or if you're trying to get someone to do your homework for you, maybe a +u fs attribute

Mine get to 90 degrees if I'm doing something with the battery in. It idles at around 40 just shitpost
I have a x230 tablet fyi. It was school required

Depending on your use case, a tablet may be enough. I'm a turbonerd using lots of terminal apps I can access via ssh/mosh, so when travelling I usually just take my nearly-phablet-size phone, OTG cable, and 300 dpi eink reader.

The bitrate is variable, 3061 is the maximum bitrate it reaches when the scene demands, 744 is the average.

>90 C
Wow that sounds crazy hot, I wouldn't even want that near me.

My computer toasted the other day, motherboard and power supply were fried. I had them replaced, and now my computer won't detect second other monitor.

I'm not that tech savvy, and I have no idea what the hell it could be. The monitor worked before, but now it just says no signal despite being plugged in, and my PC won't detect it, all the monitor says is "check signal cable". My tower only has one HDMI port so I can't really check against other ports. I've updated my video drivers and installed the drivers that came with my new motherboard.

Any suggestions?

True, true. I have a Note 5 as my main phone but it would be good to have a tablet that I can use, and has great battery life and shit.

Thanks

It was only when I was playing muh gaymes

Oh, but on a Thinkpad?! They are pretty much shit for gaming.

You could get a large power bank?

not homework, am just new to rhel in general. trying to set up a forum for a small website I'm building. syslog isn't in /cat/ where I'd expect, but should be able to find it

I have one, but normally I like to put my phone to charge and shit and I have no MicroSD card for movies and TV shows.

Only downside of an Android tablet would be that I wouldn't be able to do all the things I could do with a windows machine.

set selinux to permissive and fix restrictions after setup is complete

how to maximize my /comfy/ while programming? Any unorthodox tips or techniques? Currently posting for a laptop reclined on my couch and a beer.

Just know that thinness doesn't mean portability as much as surface area on the largest plane does.

t. XPS 13 owner that wishes their laptop got more than 7 hours of battery, runs hella cool though

Im going to remove the HD, but theres literally no other option in the bios than windows like i said. Disabling secure boot might add more to this screen, but theres no way to disable secure boot

On Manjaro, I try to transfer files to a USB stick or external drive and it tells me that the transfer completed, but when I try to access the file on another computer, the second computer reads the file as corrupt or at a smaller file size than from the original source. I don't touch anything during the transfer and the file size reads "correctly" on Manjaro, but completely changes when read on the second computer.

How do I go about fixing this? I'm not sure what's causing it or what would cause it. It even happened when I didn't have any programs running.

> surface area on the largest plane does
Kinda lost ya there. Honestly I would love to have an XPS laptop but they cost mad dosh, and I could potentially afford one if I saved up but it wouldn't be worth the money.

Sit at an actual desk. Get a comfortable chair. Elevate your screen so it's eye level when looking straight. Get an external keyboard, I like Topre. Learn your shortcuts and you'll never have to leave the keyboard.

not gonna lie that sounds completely uncomfortable

is that in line with normal security practices? It's not a huge deal, just wondering.

>I meant 3 megabytes.

Then quit bitching about your internet speeds. That literally faster than about 70% of North America. It sounds like you're just unhappy about what your modem is pulling in, and you've decided that has something to do with your router. What speeds you you get when transferring files around the house?

No, not if you're using a production system with lots of services which aren't isolated in a VM/container.

But it's a lot easier to go permissive -> fix later on a server which doesn't have anything else going on. Just make sure your web server isn't listening to the internet while you're setting things up.

ls -la /etc/selinux/config public_html
shows 644 root:root
can this be redone to 755 apache:apache?

Yes, public_html should be owned by the web daemon user

I don't have a rhel vm on hand, and I don't use apache either, so I'll be of limited use. This may help:

docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/SELinux_FAQ/index.html#faq-entry-public_html

Are there some type of air towers or some shit that can cool down a room?

Why does Greek input not work in ibus (i.e. still uses standard US characters), while Asian languages (Japanese, Chinese) do?

Also it definitely seems to be a problem with the HDMI port, I plugged the HDMI into my other monitor and still got nothing. The problem is the only other input the monitor has is RGB IN and I have none of those cables.

Yep

amazon.com/Air-Tower-or-Some-Shit/dp/B01B4XUUDI/

You can't delete heat. You can get a portable air conditioner that attaches by hose to a radiator unit outside or in another room. They're way inefficient because there's so much resistance to the heat flow. Eating a bowl of frozen banana nicecream will cool just you.

Think of it this way, it's fucking hard to carry around a 17 incher, no matter how thin it is, since it's so wide and long that it has trouble fitting into even the biggest backpacks. An X220, though it's pretty thick, is far more portable since it's not as wide or as long. Thinness doesn't matter unless what you're trying to fit the laptop into is jam-packed.
Have fun with your hunchback from looking down all the time.

I don't have proper internet for another week so I'm tethering my phone to my PC for internet. First day it worked great, next day it's disconnecting constantly. It seems to have something to do with how much load I put on it and once it decides to fuck up, any currently active connections seem to work but any new connections won't work

How the fuck do I fix this?

do you mean air conditioners that run on cold water (evaporative)? those aren't really that good. but if you're desperate, it'll probably bring down the temperature by a couple of degrees.

but really those are best used in conjunction with real air conditioners.

use a real air conditioner for 30 minutes, then turn it off, then use the evaporative air conditioner to keep the temperature lower for a bit longer.

Lets say I own a slim 3.55 or lower model.
I looked up a youtube tutorial on jailbreaking and the guy literally installed an update from his USB.
Is that all the work needed to jailbreak a 3.55 and lower? What if its lower than 3.55? Does CFW work equally on all of them as long as they're lower than 3.55?

I already have central AC but my room heats up a little when it's off and I get cold when it's on.

I was looking for something like a air tower that moves and maybe cools the air down a little.

Makes sense. The X220 sounds pretty good honestly, I also like the X1 Carbon.

Thing is I wanted something relatively small, and not complex and shit that requires me to do a bunch of installations, apart from the fact that I cant.

I was thinking something like this amazon.com/Lasko-2551-Curve-Platinum-Cooling/dp/B000RL3UJA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474592997&sr=8-2&keywords=air tower
But I doubt it can cool the room down, at least maybe it can make the air circulate or something.

Oh, why didn't you say so?

amazon.com/Air-Tower-that-moves-and-maybe-cools-the-air-down-a-little/dp/B0037W4YD2/

Would that be effective?

slsk

Yes, it will move air and keep you cool.

Have you seriously never owned a box fan before?

what distro should I use?

Never user, that is why I am curious. I have always had central AC.

this is literally just a fan.

I mean to say, just get this

Don't have space on my desk for one user.

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, why does hitting tab after config add public_html if it's not a subfolder?
there shouldn't be spaces in a path, but they have separate permissions.

So get one like . It sits on the floor.

Alright friend. For your use, just put it on the floor and let it circulate the cold air on the ground.

I'll also tell you another poorfag secret: Put one of those box fans in front of a window AC, and you'll get amazing efficacy out of it.

Because you're in the directory where public_html/ resides? ls will auto-complete whatever files are in your current directory

Yea I can set it behind me, I am just curious to know it would affect the temperatures.

Thanks mane, i'll keep that in mind for sure. I currently don't have a window AC, but who knows in the future I could.

do people actually buy phones for 600+ or is there some trick that networks have?

i know subsidization has been removed from most carriers, so are people actually dropping half a grand on a phone every few years?

*Halp me Cred Forums*

Is there a linux distro that has a gui-installer with the option/ability to select from repos or lists of software instead of installing typical pre-bundled software sets? i don't want to install arch or gentoo but i also don't want to have to remove software that is preinstalled.

People buy phones without knowing how much they cost.

Just sign the contract goyim.

As a simple fan it won't cool the air. To get actual cooling, you need an air conditioner, which needs someplace to dump the heat, whether that's out a window, from an outdoor unit, or through a hose you put out a window.

Moving air does feel cooler though. Provided the room air temperature is lower than your skin's temperature (and you'd be looking for a normal AC if it wasn't), moving air draws heat away from you so it will feel cooler.

A fan can also circulate air to push hot air out a window or move the air from the AC around the house if it isn't circulating enough on its own.

You can also put a box fan in a window, blowing OUT of the window. That's an exhaust fan. Only do it if the air outside is cooler than inside. This is particularly effective at night. Open other windows and it will move the warm air in the house out, and draw cool air from outside in.

Debian net install, or any net install cd really

Put on a blue LED strip for extra cooling too

Miami is always hot and humid so the exhaust wouldn't work well.

It's pretty much the same as it was before, only now the phone and the plan are separate line items, rather than pretending that the phone is "free". While more carriers are leaning towards not needing a contract for service, you still tend to sign a contract for the phone. In the end you usually pay about the same or a little more than you did before, but you have the choice to buy a cheaper phone somewhere else if you can find it.

Why do you want to not remove software after it's installed. You're not using Windows. Installing something and then removing it doesn't degrade performance.

Anyhow, I saw this as an option on Ubuntu Server. Don't be confused by the name. You can still install a desktop environment during installation. You get a text based installer as opposed to normal Ubuntu's graphical one. When it asks what functionality to install, check the ones you want and then tell it you want to select packages.

Fair enough. Then place it in a doorway or near the blower of your insufficient central air, blowing away from it, possibly propped at a somewhat upward angle.

>any net install cd really
So let me get this straight...

This will have step-by-step options of what you want installed, and what you do not want installed, correct?

>Ubunter Server
Doesn't the Server have the unity/spyware crap built-in as well?

>Doesn't the Server have the unity/spyware crap built-in as well?
No. Only if you select "Ubuntu Desktop" from the what to install. Otherwise you can select "XFCE Desktop", "KDE Desktop", etc.

The central air is very very powerful and cold as fuck (My Dad does ACs and shit) and it's one of the best.

Thing is that I have two monitors a PC that I never turn off, a heat pad for my snake and all of that generates heat. So when the air is on it's cold, but after it turns off the room heats up a little, it's not hot but just meh.

I also like to keep the door sealed and the fan wouldn't allow that if I put it on the door way.

Raise the AC air temperature?

You mean lower?

Well he is bitching about the air being too cold so raising it would make it warmer

You have 4 options there:
- Crank the AC
- Add a another AC for the room
- Open the door and put a box fan blowing outward
- Reduce the amount of heat sources in the room by, for example, moving the snake to another room or putting your PC or its monitors to sleep

This is what you get. If you want something more fine-grained, you need to:
1) Not install a desktop environment at initial install
2) Find the stripped down, meta package for your desktop environment (e.g. kde-plasma-desktop @ wiki.debian.org/KDE) and install it manually via apt-get

The air is warm when off, when it's cold I just grab a blanket.

Fuck man. I wish that there was a tower that cooled air, that would be the perfect thing.

It's simple physics. Heat in the room equals heat added to the room minus heat removed from the room. Heat is added by your PC, monitors, snake heater, and yourself. Heat is removed by your AC sucking in the air, cooling it and returning it, dumping the heat to the outdoors.

Unless you get a device that is able to dump heat outside the room -- a window AC, portable AC with a hose out the window, or something effectively using a heat "battery" -- you're stuck with the central AC as the only thing removing heat.

As for the "heat battery" thing, I mean something along the lines of a fan that blows air over ice cubes, evaporates water to cool the air, or similar. You can make the ice cube idea yourself pretty easily, though you'll have to remove water and add more ice periodically since you're sinking heat from the room into the ice. Note that unless you put the ice in a sealed container, water will evaporate -- this will give additional cooling, but also raise humidity of the air in the room. And if you seal the container, it will cool slower. One way out of that is to put the ice in a metal container and attach a heatsink. Fan blows across heatsink, heat from air goes there, and flows into the ice, slowly melting it. When it's all melted you change it for fresh ice.

That sounds pretty good actually. Some people freeze water bottles and use that because it's easy to put back and freeze. I would have to set up some type of container or something.

If you don't want a desk, try a lap desk. It's just a board with legs on either side to lift the laptop a few inches off your lap, putting the screen and keyboard at something a little closer to a desk height.

Same idea, less money: Find a wide, flat short cardboard box. I'm currently doing this with the box my Thinkpad came in.

Water bottles are a good idea. Just remember to leave enough space so that when the water expands as it freezes it doesn't burst the bottle. If you want it to cool faster, either add more bottles or find bottles with flat sides that you can glue heatsinks onto with adhesive thermal pads.

Note that if your goal was to cool your kitchen and not your room, this would be a terrible idea. Any heat sunk into the ice would only be returned to the room when you put them in the freezer, since the freezer dumps heat it removes from its inside into the room. But since you're cooling a room other than where the fridge is, this isn't an issue. You're just effectively making a rather inefficient air conditioner to move heat from your room to the kitchen.

I replaced my motherboard the other day because reasons. I'm sure I've wired up everything correctly. But my PC doesn't seem to be booting up. Power appears to be getting through, but my keyboard or mouse doesn't do the blinky thing with the lights, and my monitor isn't getting a signal. What do?

What is the difference between 'Debian desktop environment' and 'GNOME'? if I deselect 'Debian desktop environment' and select 'GNOME' what will happen? Also vice-versa...

Are you completely sure you haven't missed a connector? If so, you've either got a defective board or your PSU just kicked the bucket.

Scratch that. After waiting for an awkwardly long time it seems to be booting. Could it be something to do with the hard drive taking a while to spin up?

Different chipset?
Did you remember to reinstall windows?

Did you connect the 8 pin and the 24 pin cables?

Pls see: I'm getting a signal now and the keyboard+mouse have finally lit up.

No, power and BIOS would have boot up right away.

A slow HDD only would affect windows boot.

A slow to spin up HDD could make the BIOS screen run for a long time as it waits to enumerate it, or show a blinky cursor for a while after BIOS but before loading anything.

You know what. I retract my original question. I've been trying to unfuck my PC for a while and I've only just got this new motherboard to see if it'll fix anything. I think I'll just fuck around with it a bit more. Things seem to be running fine for now.

ZA KURAUDO

Kitchen? I mean the cold air would cool the room

I mean if you used ice bottles to cool the same room the fridge is in, where you re-freeze them. You use the bottle to suck heat out of the air, then put it in the freezer, which sucks heat out of the bottle and throws it out into the room air.

Naw I have my own room, the fridge is in the kitchen.

There seems to be a new thread forming over thisaway.
I didn't make it, just saw it and thought I'd link it.