UMPC

>Samsung Q1
>OQO Model 02
>Fujitsu U810
>Viliv
UMPCs need to make a comeback. Having a full Windows computer in the palm of my hand was the coolest thing ever and no amount of tablets can fill the void they left when they disappeared

Other urls found in this thread:

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8750-win-10-os-game-console-laptop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump
maybe Cred Forums is too young to remember UMPCs :(

we have these threads ALL THE TIME. and its nothing but nerds bitching about stuff that doesnt exist. it leads to worthless threads. thats why no one responds

I have never used one, but I can support this idea. They seem nice.
Wasn't there a Linux(/GNU) one coming out? I think it was expensive though.

someone kickstart one

>too young
too smart
those things sucked for any practical application
they need to try again because now we actually have the power/size ratio to make it work

>too young
You sound too young. There's no advantage to a umpc over a tablet, grow up and fuck off

A physical keyboard and a removable battery sure would be nice to have in a pocket-able size.

The pyra looks cool I must admit, way too pricey for what it is though.

or have the chinese make a clone like the x62 but for umpcs

21 here, DUDE IT WAS MY FUCKING DREAM TO OWN A UMPC WHEN I WAS A KID.

Now that I have a job and with it money the market is incredibly niche with older models being non existent/ incredibly expensive.
The other options are the Pyra and GPD win. I'm getting the pyra. But I really hate how everything it just a touchscreen slab nowadays, I miss when phones and tech devices used to be unique....

As someone who collect UMPC and have a small but nice collection (see pics), they won't be another chance for it come back from the grave as majority of people now have either a tablet or smart phone which can do the general work most people do on the go like surf the web, check email, do minor doc file work, etc.

This UMPC idea sound good now as technologies is much better than it was when it came out but it will become a very niche tech which only the select people will most likely want it. I am not surprise not many companies want to go back and try to make a newer UMPC now as they know they won't make much profit in today world. Could explain why Windows 10 GPD Handheld and Pyra is the current one I think of is trying to build something like a UMPC for today world.

Don't worry guys, the GPD WIN is on the way and will make UMPCs great again.

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8750-win-10-os-game-console-laptop

Also that 2.56 GHz quad core atom it packs has fucking active cooling. Rumors are they will be available for purchase around ~$300 on Christmas.

will it be a pain to install linux on it? because the ability to run linux would be a deal breaker for me. It's not like that thing will be able to run any games aside emulators and 2000 era stuff anyways.

I dont buy their "Gaming on an Intel Atom" Meme
is it just marketing or am I missing something?

I've owned a ton. I still use my Nokia N800 to play Mahjong on.
I had always hoped that with the advent of the modern super phones like Notes and the ishit Plus models that there would be more demand for a fully featured pocket computer again. Flagship manufacturers are clamoring to advertise their phones as more than phones now, but no one is really making the full commitment. They want to bill them as web browsers that are also phones, but they can do a couple other things too. Its like they don't want people to understand what they can actually do with the hardware.

Maybe if the public thought of them as a true computer instead of "just a phone" then they'd expect them to last longer than a year.

Gaming so far as some 2004~ PC titles, PS1, N64, handheld, and older system emulation would be fine.
It'd probably run Oblivion at acceptable settings.

Most of Cred Forums seems to hate UMPCs now. The average response is something along the lines of lol I already have a smartphone xD Android rox

If I can play old games on a UMPC with 10 year old Core Solo and shit iGPU I see absolutely no reason that a modern Atom can't play the same games along with many newer titles that my machine can't.

what if... the Surface Phone is real and it's a UMPC?

Desktop operating systems were not designed for screens as small as UMPC displays.

Shut the fuck up retard

there was a guy who make his own umpc with a galaxy note 4, a bluetooth keyboard, 2 cases and some other thing to make the slider keyboard.

Nice retort. Dodges the question with an insult that shows your unfiltered level of intellect.

>Having a full Windows computer in the palm of my hand

Windows 8/10 tablets

I can play slightly waifu modded Skyrim on Low-Med settings at 35FPS on my Surface 3 with an Atom x7 Z8700, slightly slower than the one on the GPD WIN.
2010 titles and earlier should be fine on it. Not like there's many games worth playing released later anyway.

>wanting to use desktop applications designed for full size keyboards and mouse input on a tiny screen
Fucking autists. I swear.

Prob B8 M8

You are bad and wrong.

And yet they work just fine

Tablets are great and all till you want to do something besides YouTube and Facebook

>implying there's anything wrong with that

Eat a dick, retard.

>And yet they work just fine
Don't detailed UIs designed for large screens like those in Office 2016 become complicated and difficult to use on a UMPC?

I can see how something like that would be annoying to use. I don't have any issues running any of the software I use on a 4.5" screen though.

>UMPCs need to make a comeback. Having a full Windows computer in the palm of my hand was the coolest thing ever and no amount of tablets can fill the void they left when they disappeared

Stop living in the past, its time to move forward.
The market has decided and there is hardly any demand for these things.

>you're not allowed to have nice things, just accept the bullshit that's currently available
Fuck off

>It's not like that thing will be able to run any games aside emulators and 2000 era stuff anyways.
They have videos of it playing crysis 3 and skyrim idiot

are you me? 21 and getting a pyra as well

bump

I'm totally buying a GPD Win. Full x86 in my pocket. Yes pls

I might get one, I just hate the form factor. Probably will end up picking one up if I can run literally anything other than Windows 10 on it.

I had planned on dual booting linux on it but I'm not sure how the mouse drivers will work out considering the gamepad emulates a trackpoint

A beauty.

Shit, I never even noticed it didn't have any real way to control the cursor. Guess I won't be getting it.

>Tablets are great and all till you want to do something besides YouTube and Facebook
Many Win tablets are 2-in-1s with integrated or detachable keyboards. Many also have USB, Bluetooth and HDMI so you can connect whatever mouse, keyboard and monitor to them as well.

Tablets-hybrids like the Acer Aspire Switch 10 are near UMPC IMHO.

I've already got a netbook, why would I give a shit that I can get a keyboard for a tablet?

Because netbooks are old and shitty. Time to upgrade to a something that can run programs from the last decade.

Still better than a tablet with a keyboard
>Time to upgrade
Working on it, getting pic related. Regardless this is a UMPC thread, go find a netbook thread to shitpost about your shitty tablets in.

whoops

>tablet + keyboard
>not UMPC

only an autist would demand there's a difference.

This is a UMPC. That's just a tablet with a keyboard pretending to be a netbook.

What is Surface Phone?

If you were ambitious, you could make something pretty damn cool using a Pi3, small screen, portable battery pack, then your pick of trackpad/keypad option

I think I'll make something like this now that I think about it... It would work well as a fallout-style pip boy item

Tablets tend to lack plug options for network cables, usb2/3.0 ports, dvi/hdmi, sdflash, external headphone & microphone separate, changeable batteries...

Tablets are good if you just need "to do things on applications". But if you need to "do real work", you need a real computer. Tablets are getting much better, but right now they aren't quite there for everything. In 10 years it'll be very different

Its a maymay

Anyone else get the chance to own an eking s515? Mine died but here's a pic of me installing dungeon fighter on it.

>Tablets tend to lack plug options for network cables, usb2/3.0 ports, dvi/hdmi, sdflash, external headphone & microphone separate, changeable batteries...
That tablet/keyboard has everything you listed except battery and ethernet, and a battery pack and USB ethernet adapter solves those two. It's a fully functional laptop that can also detach its keyboard. If that bothers folks, they can superglue the hinge connection and now it's 100% laptop.

IIRC tablets with keyboard have only one or two fixed positions. Moreover, you can't install another system on your tablet, and tablets mainly are not x86. Don't know about UMPC, so I won't argue on this point.

The part of me that liked Hackers as a silly movie, likes to play shadowrun, and secretly wants neon lights inside my desktop wants one of these.

The rest of me recognizes it's a dumb idea.

I want someone to make a OQO/UX style keyboard for this thing.

After the BIOS update, it's been great. I'm still looking for a W.FL -> SMA adapter so I can get rid of the fucking awful factory antenna that covers half of the ports

Please place a coin to compare

I'm not home and I don't have it with me. My smartphone is bigger than it (but it is thicker).

It's a Gole1

How about the hard drive attachment instead?

Or a Q1U?

I dunno what I'm going to do about the screen on the Q1U. I could buy another Q1U for less than just what the screen costs. I have a couple I could break down for parts but it just seems like a waste.

Welp, those are pretty small. Not pocket, but small enough to put in a bag everyday.

>Gole1
>only 2 hours battery life with a 2600mAh battery
Did they do exactly zero power management on that thing? I had a HP Stream 7 that could do 7-9 Hours SOT with a 3000mAh battery, although that was a BayTrail Tablet..

Is there anything available right now in this form factor?
I'm sad I'll probably never own something like pic related

If you're referring to the Sony, yeah they are thick. They are also like 10 years. The extended battery just makes it even chunkier. Still works decently for how old it is though. The Gole1 is a little bit thicker than a smartphone in a case. Very pocketable.

A lot of Gole1 units have battery charging issues and apparently only fully charge in android over usb. They just released a bios update like a week ago that supposedly fixes that issue. Either way, I get like 4-6 hours minimum on mine. For some reason, they massively undersold the battery life.

Or they just never updated the estimates since until like three days before production units started shipping they didn't even have batteries. Review units and prototypes had a 1200 mAh battery.

I mean, it was also supposed to have AC wifi, gigabit lan, and sata3 over pogo for the hard drive attachement but I guess they failed to realize the hardware limitations.

I think mine has AC but I can't really test it. I know they don't have gigabit, and my HDD shows up over USB (with speeds to match 2.0).

>Either way, I get like 4-6 hours minimum on mine.
Oh, that's pretty sweet then. I would get one in a heartbeat if it were thinner and they got rid of the ugly as shit bezel.

>10 years
10 years old. I accidentally a word.

Yeah the bezel is pretty gnarly. It's also frustrating because the screen is not laminated and not centered with the bezel. It doesn't bother me terribly, but if you view it from a lower angle (i.e. this pic ), it cuts off a few lines on the bottom of the screen and you get a little bit of backlight bleed from the top. Straight on and every other side looks fine though.

If I had it with me, I'd show a pic from that angle with the screen on.

Oops, I actually do have a picture, it's just not very good. See how the icons are cut off a wee bit on the bottom and there is a rectangle of light on the top? Yeah. Normally there are two and they are a lot wider but it's a shit picture.

Fucking hell, even with my criticisms, I'm still finding myself hovering over the Buy button on Gaybeast.

Are you looking at the 4/64 GB or the 2/32 GB model? Not that more RAM is a bad thing, I'm just not sure if it's worth it at the price point. $55 more is steep and 2 GB RAM is enough for Windows 10 and Android.

What are you ever going to do with it?

It does have micro sd and four usb ports though =)

Weren't UMPCs just smaller versions of x86 Tablet PCs?

I'm typing this from a tablet that fits that criteria. And it's modern.

2GB. No Idea what I'm going to do with it, and Windows is hard enough to use on a 10" tablet as it is without a pen. (my Surface 3)
Pen input with a physical sliding keyboard would make it one hell of a pocket computer.
I'm looking at the GPD Win as well but the price is a bit steep for what it is.

Honestly, if I was gonna get something for gaming I'd just get the SMACH Z. It's a gaming PC in the form of a handheld console and will probably come out with Steam OS and Windows 10 editions.

And, BTW, I think Steam for Linux has about 2500 games now or something.

UMPCs and tablets were never really a thing at the same time. UMPCs died entirely when netbooks replaced them (slightly bigger, significantly cheaper, just as slow) and then netbooks pretty much died when smartphones went mainstream. Tablets replaced netbooks and now some tablets (and 2 in 1s) are coming out to supplement. Unlike UMPCs though, netbooks never really completely disappeared from the market but they got extremely hard to find until a few months ago (a few years if you count the chromebook). The market is strange.

Now we have cheap netbooks with atom chipsets which are basically just cheap tablets but in a clamshell formfactor with a keyboard instead of a touchscreen.

UMPCs are pretty much just smaller tablets but they usually had full hardware controls and much more flexible hardware. I can upgrade the storage and RAM in my UMPCs but I cannot upgrade any hardware in a modern tablet. I suspect if any hardware OEMs were to make new UMPCs, they'd probably resemble a tablet and have an atom chipset as well.

I'm hoping someone will eventually make a keyboard attachment for it but I don't think it will be popular enough for something like that. I may just have to resort to 3D printing something and using one of those wireless remote things.

That's odd, I remember netbooks dying when the iPad came out.

Also, there were Tablet PCs years before the iPad era. Near the end, there were even netvertibles, which were basically combinations of netbooks and Tablet PCs.

>AMD
Ah, fuck. Have they at least improved their netbook offerings? Because I think Intel already surpassed AMD's E-series with Cherry Trail Atom.

>That's odd, I remember netbooks dying when the iPad came out.
Oops I guess I forgot about iPad. Though, I thought smartphones and ipad were just about in the same time frame? Regardless, it wasn't overnight.

And regarding tablet PCs, they were never actually popular. They were a lot more popular than UMPCs but still. Gates' tablet never caught on until Jobs took it and stripped it the fuck down and "invented" it.

the consumer just plain don't want these. you aguys that post this shit constantly are autistic as fuck not to get it. if they were popular then they would still be around. it's that simple.

> the consumer just plain don't want these
Certainly yes, because there is no offer.

But you need to understand that we do get that the market for them sucks. That doesn't stop us from talking about cool old shit and the little niche OEMs that pop up every now and then.

To be honest with the settings they had Skyrim at, it looked like a 2000s era game.

So get a windows tablet. And use a bt keyboard. The shitty slide keyboards are overrated anyway.

I didn't say the old Tablet PCs were popular, though.

And the era of the modern smartphone began with the iPhone. The iPhone released in 2007 and the App Store released in 2008. The iPad was released in 2010.

But, you're right, it took a long time for smartphones to catch on as much as they have. I didn't even have one until 2013, although I believe I was rather late to the game.

More screen estate while typing.

>what is a bt keyboard?

Also a slide kb makes the device unnecessarily heavy and thick. And no I'm not one of those faggots that want a 2mm apple shitmachine but there is a point where shit becomes to bulky and annoying to use.

It's OK for me

>you're not allowed to like things because they wouldn't sell well in a mass market
Think about how retarded you sound.

Fuck that

more controls than a touchscreen
fullsize USB port(s) along with other hardware (mine for example has a port on the bottom capable of Ethernet, VGA, additional USB ports, and FireWire.
smaller than a tablet
real keyboard

That is pocketable. It's thick and not like a phone where you forget it's there, but definitely can be done should you want your UMPC and not have to carry a bag. Once it starts getting colder I never carry it in a bag, I just toss it in my sweatshirt's larger pocket