Most difficult OS/Distro

what is the most difficult operating system (or distribution) to install & manage in Cred Forums's opinion?

Windows 10

we get it, Cred Forums hates winblows, take your memes elesewhere, pleb.

LFS

Unless you have an R7K O2. Then Irix.

LFS for GNU/Linux distro because you'd be running a one-man srow.

LFS with no package manager

Ah, yes i had forgotten about LFS.
Other than that, are any of the "meme" distros that Cred Forums hates/loves like Gentoo or Arch up there at all? Obviously i understand they're nowhere near LFS level but are they good runner-ups?

Arch, cause pacman's a PILE OF SH*T

can we swear on this sub?

>sub

Even trips can't hide your fagginess.

QNX 4

Arch is neither hard to install nor hard to manage.

yeah but portage is still much better

>At least reddit is doing shit.
Their discussions are in-depth and profound at times.
What has Cred Forums accomplished in the last 3 years?
There are always the same borring threads with the same responses
>it seems 50% of the posts came from a Markov chain bot.

Seems like you don't understand that not everyone is a basement elitist weabo faggot who spends all his day messing with arch.

I spend little time messing with it, that's one of its upsides.

Gentoo or maybe Slackware.

Arch Anywhere

>markov chain bot

that's it.

I'll make the logo

Ubuntu and many other buntus. Cancer for people who should just get windows

Slackware. Gentoo is a bit complicated, but still feasible at least.

Gentoo idiot why do you think we tell everyone to do it who asks stupid shit like this.

INSTALL GENTOO

Gentoo is good because of how easy it is to use my man

TOPS-10 on a pdp with a washing-machine hard-drive, toggled in via front-panel.

>Compiling software is difficult

You Cred Forums kids should just leave the board.

Gentoo with some really obscure config

For example, you could try Gentoo Hardened with SELinux and PaX enforced system-wide

your own

debian unstable

That's not obscure you fuckin nigger. In fact, that's exactly the reason why people use Gentoo.

I guarantee you that less than 1% of the gentoo user base uses gentoo hardened/selinux/pax.

Also, I can guarantee you that most things will break and that it's exceptionally difficult and time-consuming to maintain, at least if you want to do it properly.

Most policies will be wrong, and you will have to fix them yourself, for basically everything you want to install.

You're also usually extremely limited in what you can do, for example trying to combine gentoo hardened with systemd is completely unsupported (and until very recently, did not have policy files in place at all)

>guys
when am I supposed to use
>greentext
nevermind I'll just use it on
>random lines

Another vote for win10, I don't use it myself but my friend in CS does and he always complains about issues like this.

what the hell is your friend even doing

Have you heard about EMACS/Linux? It's a real think. Google it. (Oh, and you need mount from util-linux)

FreeMiNT was kind of a bitch.

Running stage 1 Gentoo Hardened (as it later became known) in production with heavy out-of-tree gcc/egcs, libc and Linux patches was a pain in the butt too. Looking back I might actually have had an easier time with LFS.

gentoo to install, slackware to manage

actual work

>university
>real work

Pretty much any linux these days, even Arch, is piss easy compared to how it was in the 90s and early 00s.

If you want to be challenge, you're going to have to go back in time.

I bet his issue is Windows Defender is running and thrashing his disk.

Fucking MsMpEng.exe. Always doing that shit when you're busy.

works on my machine

It works now, but the next time you go to copy a file or compile a program MsMpEng.exe will suddenly kick in with 90% disk use and 30% CPU

I just disabled it but Windows 10 keeps randomly turning it back on

>python

>I just disabled it but Windows 10 keeps randomly turning it back on

that's by design. It stops when you install another AV

linuxfromscratch

Still easy. Just picking from a shitload of compile options.

Back in the hard times drivers sucked for everything, X was even buggier and worse, package managers weren't big.

looks okay to me

pic

Hardest I've used is Gentoo. 2nd hardest was openbsd

my hot comp sci teacher in high school gave me a red hat distro that was 7 cds. I never installed it, but I flirted with her all the time.

Saw her a few weeks back when I went back home and said to me "wow, I should have been a bit braver" dick = diamonds, but I have gf now

>MsMpEng.exe
Microsoft surpasses even UNIX when it comes to obscure naming

Have you actually tested it? Like set it up and tested out how hard it actually is to manage?

I know the setup is a bit convoluted compared to most distros out there, but maintenance is really effortless. I've been using it for a year now without any issues from updating.

IIRC Slackware doesn't even do dependency checks or anything. What a fucking pain

They're not hard to install or manage though, they're one of the easiest. That's why they're so popular. They might not be great on all fronts but they're easy as fuck. That's their selling point.

desu I had more trouble making an OS X installer from scratch (no mac) than using arch or some such. Also arch's installer is more streamlined now? I've never tried LFS, but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually

gentoo
the installation itself isn't hard, but manually compiling your kernel and trying to remember what use flags to remember is

Managing your environment through a DE is always a bad idea

Your own

You know you can save configurations and backup kernel images, right?

Wtf,that is like an arch helper.How can it be hard at all??

INSTALL LFS!

Holy shit, I didn't know they made gentoo users this clueless

If anything, serves as a good filter to weed out the retards, I suppose

Doesn't Ubuntu still have all the normal tools under the hood though? They're just focusing on the stuff the regular Joe users and is used to. And graphical interfaces being bad isn't really exclusive to Ubuntu in any way.

Arch's installer? Wut

Debian itself is fine and apt is a good tool from the cli

>Played with ubuntu when I was a kid on my P4 Pc.
>No problem.
>Don't want to use ubuntu but want to touch up on my linux.
>Install Arch on a VM.
> Can't work out how to properly configure the boot drives for the life of me.

Seriously guys is it a really picky order to doing things or am I retarded?
I'm okay at bash and understanding the simple differences in GPT and MBR, can follow instructions but I can't find an up to date guide.
I just want to practice bash scripts in a VM.

gentoo on a p4 with no compile server to do my dirty work for me. firefox never successfully compiled, it would compile for about 5 hours and then give an error and halt.

>gentoo is hard
to install, maybe for some guy who never used linux in his life. Manage ? meh

>Still easy
Yes, because technically you just follow a guide, but in facts, you need some knowledges and to understand what's going on. If you hit on an error when compiling it can be annoying.
Then about maintaining it, I guess it depends if you're using a package manager or not

Solaris by far.

arch isn't a meme

This fucking piece of shit.

>arch's installer
YOU are the installer user

Second this. Ive been using it for years on multiple computers and its never caused any issues.
My only problem was when nvidia decided to update my graphics shit and not include my gpu in the whitelist even though the specs and shit for the driver clearly say that "if you have my gpu, this is the driver you have to use", so I got stuck in noveau hell for a year before they fixed it just in time for the cards hdmi port to die.

>Cancer for people who should just get windows

was gonna say if windows would give me a free excell, then remembered I got excell for free

gentoo won
>python

ITT: Windows/Debuntu babbies believing the meme that Gentoo requires anything beyond following basic directions

ITT: People who've never used Gentoo for any appreciable amount of time trying to comment on it