>Cred Forums wiki headphone FAQ
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/
s.aliexpress.com/7fiQbmAN
amazon.com/E12-Rechargeable-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00B6QXWIY
youtube.com/watch?v=mjd3m5sDG3s
ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-MI-in-ear-Hybrid-Dual-Drivers-Piston-3-III-Earphone-Pro-with-remote-Mic-/201216595399?hash=item2ed97195c7:g:uLIAAOSwOVpXTlL5
aliexpress.com/item/DIY-Hifi-Silver-updated-Cable-for-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-Headphone-Headset-Ranko-plug-LN003265/32700278635.html
aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-earphone-detachable-cable-with-microphone-remote-for-TF10-5PRO-W4R-UM3X-IE8-IE80-HD600-SR940/2035753451.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_5_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10067_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=278aa35b-ff9b-4e74-a6a9-6ec1ea22ebeb
aliexpress.com/item/3-5mm-Pure-99-777-OCC-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580-HD525-HD565-Headphone-LN004077/32234987434.html
aliexpress.com/item/DIY-headphone-cable-Single-crystal-copper-wires-14-core-X4-high-end-headphones-cable/32621146870.html
aliexpress.com/item/OCC-7N-99-Cable-for-DIY/32494917538.html
amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1474599554&sr=1-1&keywords=ath m50x
thepiratebay.org/torrent/6235759/Pantera_-_The_Best_Of_Pantera_(2003)_320_vtwin88cube
ebay.com/itm/172235861446
ebay.com/itm/122113609321
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FEDHHKE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474665756&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=muse dac&dpPl=1&dpID=41b9lY8vJ9L&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the best desktop amp for ~$50?

My computers dac isn't quite enough for my m40s.

>Budget
Under £100
>Location
UK
>Source
Galaxy S7
>Preferred type of headphone
Wireless ear buds
>Open or closed
Closed but open if quality is good
>Comfort level
Reasonable
>Preferred tonal balance
Not heavy bass
>Past headphones
595, Senn ear buds, PC363D and Soundmagic E10

amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/

save up, get this

V-Moda M100's or Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM's?

Latter, unless you like heavy bass.

>If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

120€

Don't buy K550.

It's a poorly designed headphone.

>>If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

Wait for the bump limit faggot.

Piss off, this isn't your general.

Everyone who has read the AES paper knows K550 is shit.

AKG fucked up.

Do not buy a headphone that has inconsistent sealing which causes bass leakage.

30min till shitpost-kun comes.

don't give a shit if you dislike it, if you can't offer better suggestions user is left with what you think is shit and nothing else, way to go being a productive poster, whiny faggot.

Thinking of falling for the wireless meme, anyone else here tried these headphones? Thoughts?

Anything better for less than 40 aud?

I like these because I can still use it with the wire or with Bluetooth, whichever is more convenient.

They're also pretty cheap and reviews seem solid. A bit bassy, but that could be fixed with an eq?

s.aliexpress.com/7fiQbmAN

I'm not obligated to offer a better suggestion, I just gave him some expert advice.

>expert advice
>it sucks, fuck you if you disagree
you must be quite respected in the sound engineering world.

>sound engineering world

Of course, I am from the number one deaf golden ears analytic sound manufacturer.

lol, i bet you are.

Maybe LG's Tone series?
Dunno, not a lot has experience with low end wireless stuff here.

It's Chinese so it's not like I can try it out in store, but it's also cheap enough that I won't be too bothered if it isn't great.

I'd appreciate your opinion on this. Should I just go for it?

Just bought a pair of DT 770 pro 250 ohms off of Newegg, there was a flash sale.

Any recommendations for a portable dac/amp combo? I have really long commutes on the bus and I'd like to use them there with my Android device.

Preferably under $100.

So i decided to buy the 9500, want to add a mic
Should I add the boom-pro or for the same price I could get a chink mic (bm800), arm and pop filter

Has anyone had this happen with their AKGs? How can I get this fixed?

pop filter wouldn't make much difference for gaming, i'd go with the boompro.

>I'd appreciate your opinion on this. Should I just go for it?
I supposed you read the reviews? It seems solid just by reading the reviews. I'd say go for it.

Wait for it to arrive and see how loud it gets with your phone.

Do I need an amp for AKG K702? I only intend to use them with my PC.

Take them to a autobody shop and have the weld them back together or use JB Weld.

Cheers mate. I just might do that.

If it's not good enough I'll just give it to my sister for Christmas

Alright, good call. I would assume that a pair of 250 ohm headphones would be pretty quiet, but you're right, testing it first would be ideal.

Do you have any recommendations if it ends up being far too quiet? Thanks!

>massdrop

wew lad, i almost fell for the meme

Depends if your motherboard's powerful enough to drive them, I'd say to play it safe and see if it works fine on your PC first and if it isn't loud enough then you buy an amp afterwards.

Note that amps do not affect sound quality, only volume. Especially with the K702, it has a flat-ish impedance. Sorry if I confused you with the last part but there's lots of myths out there about amping headphones.

So if I'm satisfied with their volume, I don't need an amp?

Absolutely yes, both an amp and dac

Will look into that, thanks.

>amps do not affect sound quality, only volume

but that's wrong

>inb4 angry comments on ideal amps that don't color the sound, sound exactly the same as the rivals and only exist in the mind of shitposters

>Do you have any recommendations if it ends up being far too quiet? Thanks!

amazon.com/E12-Rechargeable-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00B6QXWIY

How bulky do you want the amp to be? The smaller ones aren't particularly powerful but this one's pretty good.

This one is about 3 times powerful as the cheaper option (A3). It's a good buy IMO.

If you're satisfied with the volume, you don't need an amp.

The only way an amp would make a difference would be on headphones with impedance swings like HD558 and that assumes that typical devices have high output impedance.

A bad quality amp can, and will, reduce sound stupidity

Is this head-fi?

Disappointed by Xiaomeme hybrid IEM, I have Superlux HD381F in the post and I am pretty hype

Oh wow they got their own measurements might want to get myself the B version.

Right? If I like the F then I might get the standard 381 as well for the odd occasion when I want to pump up the bass like a pleb

>recommending DACs in 2016

Jakkasu is asleep.

Post wireless headphones.

Why are you dissapointed? Do you need more bass? Get Rock Zircons.

shut your face Jewtooth

Don't shitpost.

No, the bass is fine. I actually find the mids kind of lacking.

>Post partial OP to avoid shitposting
>Start shitposting

My new HD 600s arrived yesterday, what is the first thing that I should do with them?

The cable is long and flimsy as shit, is there a cheap good braided upgrade since I'll be using these with my pc?

Probably JK false flagging

is clear baiting/shitposting.

What do you think made it do that? Is it because it was rubbing against this and friction made it snap? (pic related)

can someone tell me what [TR24] means in regards to audio torrents?

>ctrl+f
>no etymotic research
It's like you enjoy having normies ruining your Tuvan math rock with their filthy valley girl talk.

Sounds like JK ťbh.

>Budget
$400
>Location
Canada
Full size
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
High, intend to wear for several hours at a time.
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
ATH-M50
>Usage
Listening to placebo filetypes of mainly orchestral and folk music, as well as weebshit.

HD600 + Objective 2 Amp

You've said that twice now. That is the only purpose? To get a specific user to respond?

Stop shitposting.

Can anyone rec me some good over ear headphones under $120 that covers your whole ear?

I could be, the other side is showing signs of wear.

/hpg/ has a huge hard-on for etys

d.va is cute! Cuuute!

>Budget
$30
>Location
US
>Source
Fiio X1
IEM
>Open or closed
n/a
>Comfort level
won't fall out
>Preferred tonal balance
flat, or really anything nice I can get for $30
>Past headphones
currently using the cheap ($6-10) panasonic ones that come up first thing anywhere you look for earbuds, but I'm looking for something with a little more clarity/durability considering I already own a dedicated high res music player
also own M50X phones but of course those aren't IEMs

Computer headphone jack failing
anyone know a cheap portable usb dac?

Xiomi pistons or rock zircons.
Or kz edr2 if you want to cheap out.

vsonic vsd3

e10k

Keyword portable.

mfw its $80

its actully small af senpai
youtube.com/watch?v=mjd3m5sDG3s

>have to sit at a computer to use it
>have to sit at a wall to power it
keyword portable.

its usb power friendo

And where do you get power for usbs dingus?

Pray to the USB gods

Are these Piston 3's legit?

ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-MI-in-ear-Hybrid-Dual-Drivers-Piston-3-III-Earphone-Pro-with-remote-Mic-/201216595399?hash=item2ed97195c7:g:uLIAAOSwOVpXTlL5

you can get that from amazon for exactly the same price, can't you?

I've been a big fan of the RHA T10's

Do headphones exist that won't cause me to have sebaceous cysts?

Nerf that ass!

No they're gone from amazon.

So... are there any in-ear bluetooth earphones that aren't fuckhuge, cost less than $60 and don't sound like my grandma's farts?
They will be used with a cellphone, so I don't expect amazing sound, but it should at least be somewhat decent and not make ears bleed.

Webm conveniently cut to be semi-work-safe.

Check out Chinese brands.

Absolute cheapest I'd recommend is bluedio n2. They sound ok, but just ok. Good bass, weak everything else, can be fixed with an eq though.

Then there's better stuff like qy8 for a little more. It just depends what you're after overall, but 60 is a bit overkill when you can take advantage of chink magic.

>qy8
thanx. I'll try those. Judging from the picture on Amazon, they even seem quite comfortable to wear.

Seconding bluedio n2. In my experience solid bass, weak mids, okay treble.

They sound fantastic with viper installed on my phone.

If you're not a fan of equalisers you could spend a bit more, iirc there's some fantastic ones around 20 dollars, but also chink brands if you're alright with that.

IEMs

Which HD 600 cable /hpg/?

>aliexpress.com/item/DIY-Hifi-Silver-updated-Cable-for-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-Headphone-Headset-Ranko-plug-LN003265/32700278635.html

>aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-earphone-detachable-cable-with-microphone-remote-for-TF10-5PRO-W4R-UM3X-IE8-IE80-HD600-SR940/2035753451.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_5_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10067_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_7&btsid=278aa35b-ff9b-4e74-a6a9-6ec1ea22ebeb

I don't know if the latter has a silver option but having silver would definitely help with 300 ohm headphones.

>silver plated
PLACEBO Chink crap.

Having OCC copper is better than a freggin silver plated shit from China. If you really wanted silver then buy legit pure SILVER cable.

So this thing? I'm new to the cable market.

aliexpress.com/item/3-5mm-Pure-99-777-OCC-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580-HD525-HD565-Headphone-LN004077/32234987434.html

I have no experience with buying any kind of aftermarket cable. I'm using stock HD600 cables.

If you go to placebophile forums you'll find out why pure copper or pure silver cables are worth.

I just want a shorter and a braided cable since the stock one feels like a dollar store product.

Hmm. Well whatever you decide to buy. I might want to buy the same thing and find out too if it made a difference.

>wireless headphones

But those are for homosexuals.

That one's too short. 120cm is not long enough. I have a $4 Blue diy cable I got before. Same length 120cm. It's very short.

aliexpress.com/item/DIY-headphone-cable-Single-crystal-copper-wires-14-core-X4-high-end-headphones-cable/32621146870.html

>when ur bf buys sennheiser headphones and you're an akg man

he didn't even consult me

what should I do /hpg/?

120 cm is 4 feet, I won't be using these headphones anywhere else other than my desk so having a longer cable is useless.

Also those aren't HD600 cables you linked.

Are you sure? Where is your headphone jack located? Do you use a O2+ODAC like I do? You'll have to relocate your headphone amp at the edge of your desk because the cable isn't long enough.

Is there much difference between buying a cheap USB sound card and a more expensive one? My laptop jacket isn't working anymore, so I need to get one.

dump him and become a slut

This is what I'm working with right now. Fiio E10k directly into the motherboard via usb 3.0.

pls no hate, getting a new desk soon.

I'm interested in these HD381B, where's the best place to buy them?

Also any other cheap neutral IEMs to try. And by neutral I mean actually fucking neutral. I tried the Monoprice and the sound is alright but the comfort is shit.

>what is the first thing that I should do with them?

cum on them

That will be fine if you personally like it short. One thing you'll probably notice immediately might be they will be thin. I don't think they're thick.

If I was DIY'ing. I'd get something as thick as these, custom length and I'll also order HD600 connectors and headphone jack.
aliexpress.com/item/OCC-7N-99-Cable-for-DIY/32494917538.html

>Budget
$250 or less
>Location
US
>Source
smart phone
IEM
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Paramount. I may have them in for hours at work, possibly listening to audiobooks much of the time.
>Preferred tonal balance
balanced / good mid range
>Past headphones
Soundmagic E10

should I buy these if I plan on listening to pirated music (meaning the quality isnt the best or whatever)
amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1474599554&sr=1-1&keywords=ath m50x

>willing to spend $200 on headphones but not willing to pirate decent quality music

then where do i get better music, as you can see I have more money than brains

Even public trackers have lossless or at least 320 if it's popular enough to be on a private tracker.

The M50X is usually a bit overpriced, are you sure those are the ones you want? With that said, yeah, even youtube stuff sounds at least good enough with better headphones, and you can find tons of lossless music on the internet.

s/private/public

Bitch I have the hd 650s and I torrent music anyway.

>aliexpress.com/item/3-5mm-Pure-99-777-OCC-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580-HD525-HD565-Headphone-LN004077/32234987434.html

The cable in-between the headphone jack and y-split looks like it's not individually shielded. I think you'll get cross-talk on left and right channels.

thank yous I just downloaded this thepiratebay.org/torrent/6235759/Pantera_-_The_Best_Of_Pantera_(2003)_320_vtwin88cube
from the piratebay, is that good enough quality to justify buying the headphones?

>320kbps
Yes, it should be enough.

I want to buy my last pair of headphones before Trump gets elected and the price of the dollar skyrockets here in Mexico.
I have about 200 USD, and I can't get most of the flagships Cred Forums likes like the HD600 which costs 460 dollars.
What should I get?
I'm open to any sound signature. I have a pair of HD 7 DJ (bass with recessed highs) and a pair of K550's and I enjoy them both. I'm looking for open back or IEMs since I don't have a pair of those.
I was thinking a pair of HD598 that go on sale regularly for 100$ and a pair of Shure 215's or the DT990's that go for 200

SE-315.

>Metal/Electra

Everything is good enough for good headphones. Here's an analogy:
headphones quality = number of colors
bitrate = number of pixels

Oh shit, will that be a problem?

thanks mate

HD558 is the HD598 without the noctua color scheme. That's 100 USD out.

For a good IEM, you can consider Etymotic HF5.

V0 is the most common and ideal file type. 320 is also acceptable if you have autism. Anything else is placebo, especially lossless.
> I can totally hear those 0's, they really add depth to the soundstage and increase the attack and speed of the bass (I get 2d12 +2 on dexterity and strength checks)

HD558 is cheaper than HD598 and the same, you can even do the foam mod to get the exact same sound.
Imho DT990 is not that good compared to DT880 or DT770 (if you are ok with closed-back) since the v-shape is too strong.
If you liked the K550 check the K612, maybe it's within you price range over there.
AD900X should also be within you price range, it's a great open-back, but a bit bass light and bright, very comfortable, great stage.

Well if you're using your headphones casually it won't be a problem.

If you're doing it professionally and want to hear everything clear. Then having no cross-talk would probably be better.

So no. Cross-talk is not a problem. But if you're gonna be paying $50 on a cable. Maybe you should consider planning carefully want to buy.

This is the same problem with recommending people who want either Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506. With cross-talk on V6's and without cross-talk on 7506's with a blue sticker saying it's professional.

Soulseek
also go on the Cred Forums archives, type in "[album/artist name] mega" and you could get some mega links for what you're looking for (usually in mp3 320, sometimes flac).
If i can't find music that way, i normally use jdownload to get it from YouTube (i download the auto-generated uploads if they exist, because they have good sound quality)
Youtube audio is encoded to 192kbps AAC which is good enough.

I don't know anything about this subject, but I was wonder if there are computer programs that test what frequency response your headphones have under certain conditions, then modifies your audio so it has a perfectly flat response?

Kz ates or Xiaomi hybrids? I like neutral sound signature but I slight v shape is okay. Just want be able to hear everything clearly. Thanks.

I know this is a DAC/AMP but am I wrong in saying that people should save up for something like a schitt amp alone?

rutracker has a ton of torrents straight up stolen from what.
I've done a couple comparisons and even rechecking the entire torrent works, and the acoustic spectrum analysis on tracks from both the ru and what torrent is the exact same.

>meaning the quality isn't the best or whatever
you need to step up your pirating game

>Ordered Fidelio X2's
>Want to order V-Moda Boom Pro Mic for PS4 use w/ X2

Wondering if there is an alternative to V-Moda mic

Pic related

It's like we live on different worlds. Since when is V0 more common than 192 or 320? And since when did file storage tech regress to the state where a couple hundred megabytes make a dent in your unused memory?

Here in 2016, all you lose by saving your collection in a lossless format is a little bit of dignity and a dollar for every fifty albums you take from the internet in flawless CD quality for free.

high res audio

Go with the Hyper X Cloud I/Core

PXC 550 or bust

The true choice for productive men

gotta say you guys are fucking on point when it comes to recommendations

these are some kickass headphones

Thanks. I've got pretty good taste.

I have a Galaxy s5, and it powers my 250 ohm dt 770s fine. I don't really notice any degradation in sound quality. I don't use them portably much though, occasionally I will wear them around the house. They are too bulky to carry around with me, so I use cheap but comfortable earbuds. I agree with .

someone is #mentallyhill

I have mentioned these topics before in varying detail.
There are better resources for proofs, Wikipedia, the engineers/physicists who realized this in the first place, or in various textbooks. Apologies in advance for errors.

>frequency response
Start from the Dirac delta function in time [δ(t)], the function that defines impulse response (IR), as the representation of the ideal headphone response. It has the property of an instant rise and settling time when excited by an impulse, it rejects any change except at exactly when it is interacted with.
A headphone with a response of the delta passes all input signals exactly as they came in (or multiplied by a constant). To put it another way, it has a perfectly flat frequency response from DC to infinity. If you consider that δ(t) contains all the frequencies from DC to infinity at equal magnitude at once, that should follow: Dirac goes in, the same Dirac goes out.

Delta functions are clearly physically impossible, but here is the starting idea:
The delta function is unique in bearing the aforementioned properties. Any change, a brick wall or slow rolled frequency response, or a small cut, degrades the transient quality of the IR as examined in time. The other frequencies that would have been present to cancel out the ringing have been removed.
If you did pass δ(t) through a headphone, the result can be described as the convolution of the delta function with all the filters (peaking, low cut, all pass phase, etc.) in the path. Convolution is a mess of calculus in the time domain, but is simpler to understand in frequency: add/subtract the dB response and the phase angle.

When you examine the frequency response, you can decompose it into linear phase, minimum phase, and all pass phase. The minimum phase has the useful property of having the phase response (and time) uniquely related to the natural log of magnitude response by the Hilbert transform, and the minimum phase dominates for any real headphone.
Echoes, port delay, and the like fall under the all pass, which makes a small component of single driver headphones. You are left with the task to find out how much ringing is the non flat response, and how much of the remainder is visible in a waterfall plot.

>resonators
Peaks and dips in headphones are mostly described by very simple resonators, peak filters.
As suggested, resonators with FR peaks have obvious ringing effects in the time domain IR. Those filters store energy and boost the oscillations that pass through its effective range, making these more visible on the CSD and in the impulse response. The storage of energy in the filter is given by the Q factor (the same as in a parametric EQ), and as the Q increases, the response will appear more like a sine wave and persist for longer periods of time.

On the topic of resonators...
Think of a very large collection of resonating objects, each closely tuned to a different frequency. These could be piano strings, hollow tubes, whatever.
We can actually use these to do frequency analysis, much like human cochlea hairs. Each resonator will respond strongly when excited at a certain frequency range, and weakly when off frequency. The combined response of the resonators will tell us our spectrum.

When a resonator is excited, it rings, depending on how much internal damping (or conversely, the Q) there is to the resonator.
-Damped resonators are quick to decay, but can be excited by a broader range of input frequencies.
-Minimally damped resonators can pinpoint frequencies easily, but make sound long after excited. Think of something on the order of a bell or tuning fork for an extreme example.

Our hypothetical spectrum analyzer has a problem in its operation. We can either figure out what frequencies were made that excited our resonators, or when they were excited. Trying to make it do both at once makes it somewhat mediocre at both.
A certain relation necessarily emerges:
>(frequency range)*(time range) ≥ a constant > 0
It's not precise and not particularly telling, but this is suggestive. We are limited in what we can discern if we want to know when it happened, and vice versa.
What we use to do harmonic analysis extends from the resonator idea. While practical analyzers are freely adjustable in bandwidth and digital, you end chopping up the signal into a series of overlapping bins to do analysis.

>Sony MDR-V6
If anyone has these. Test it with Sinegen software.

I can hear something on the other driver when I use the left and then right volume sliders. Cross-talk is real but it's not that big of a deal.

Which headphones?

Anyone try these that can give some insight?

Well, there's Sonarworks.

Do i need a dac or can i just use an amp?
Got HD 650

Just an amp. Dac is mainly for reducing noise such as crackling when you turn the volume up. Cheap dac will work pretty good too.

Just got my RHA MA750i.

Thanks to user that suggested them to me a couple of threads ago. They are pretty great.

Anything senheiser

Crossfade M-100s or HD599s once they release?

>50$
IEMs

I was recently gifted a pair of Panasonic HTX7's and I'm pleased with them. However, I was wondering if any of you knew if I could buy aftermarket memory foam ear pads and which ones to get?

Dude. Are you still here? I've finally found your cable and my cable. No need for DIY. I'll order from this guy even though I don't live in the US.

ebay.com/itm/172235861446
ebay.com/itm/122113609321

Kind of look like m50 pads. Not really sure though. The pads ranges from 10-25dollars. I think 25 might be too much considering the cost of the headphone itself. Then again im not even sure they would fit.

Not him but holy fuck 55 dollars for a cable. I was thinking of buying hd600 in a couple years but geez fuuck sennheiser and their propriety cables.

You'll need to buy a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter. I totally forgot.

It's just 55 bucks. Compared to $700 Cardas Clear or $300 Nordost cables.

HM5 memory foam pads fit many headphones if you stretch them enough. Here's a pic of my HD518 with HM5 velour pads. I would go with the pleather versions with closed headphones.

I suppose it depends on how loud you want it, while I'm not exactly the kind of person that likes to listen to deafeningly loud music, the desktop itself can just barely power these things to get my ears to hurt maybe, you'll need more power to get them going if you want ridiculously loud sounds I guess, be it movies or games or whatever I suppose, or if for some reason the source of your audio is ridiculously quiet like some bad youtube video or something.

Looking to get a pair of portable, somewhat low profile headphones. I own a pair of the Monoprice DJ headphones, but they are somewhere at my parent's house, and I felt they were a bit clunky.

I did really like their sound and price range though, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the lightweight version of them

Measuring headphones isn't easy if you want to correlate the measured data to perceived response. You'll need a coupler to simulate ear and canal response and even with the best ones the data is only somewhat accurate up to 6KHz. The next issue is picking a target for which to equalize for. A neutral response from headphones isn't a flat line during the measurement and there are plenty of targets and variations for them.

Whatever you do, you fix the response with a parametric equalizer. You don't need to have a setup to measurement the headphones to achieve flatter response. Noise and sine sweep tones give a you a good idea of how the response is like. You equalize the notable dips and peaks out and repeat the process until no objectionable coloration remain.

>portable
>low profile
IEMs

I'm here, I don't know if I should hug you or kiss you no homo. I was inches away from getting a no name brand on some shady chinese website.

What are the BASSIEST earphones that are not in ear? I just want some proper nigger bass.

No problem. Tell me if it sounds good because my order on ebay will take a week or two because I live halfway across the world and it kinda sucks.

>nigger bass
Isn't there one company that basically builds its brand on that? Dunno if it actually lives up to the description though.

aren't IEMs inherently ear more ear damaging than over ear headphones? That's part of my interest

Earbuds by design have difficulty even having bass.

Just get the superlux 681
Sony xb 1000, but they dont make them anymore. So probably the JVC HA-SZ2000.

Disgard the superlux, i forgot you said portable. Maybe koss porta pros?

>aren't IEMs inherently ear more ear damaging than over ear headphones? That's part of my interest
Nope.

It's all decibels, whether it's from speakers, headphones, IEMs. Decibels at the eardrum is what causes NIHL.

Beats isn't proper nigger bass. Its bloated bass and it sounds like shit.
Yea I know but I've already got couple of IEMs and headphones that are pretty bassy and I want to add eadbuds to my bass-head collection
>EARPHONES M8
Not a bad headphones but it gets shat on by my th900

>more ear damaging than over ear headphones?
In what way?

If anything, they are "safer" than over ears in a public environment due to better passive isolation; you don't have to play them as loud to block out noise.

There is pretty much no high end earbuds thats NOT iem. Good luck.

Is there another way to put earpads to the HD 500?

It doesn't have to be high end. There has got to be some cheap earbuds that have some bass in em.

any recs for IEM with at least somewhat decent low frequency and overall quality? Can't remember the name of the last pair that I had, but I remember their sound not being, for a lack of a better word, rich, and I would unconsciously adjust volume to compensate, realizing later how loud I had my volume adjusted to.

Never suggest that shit again

>I want to add eadbuds to my bass-head collection
And I just said, by design they have no bass.
Pic related is earpods, an example of an earbud. Just take a look at that massive roll off under 100hz.
You will have absolutely no luck finding a bassy earbud, let alone niggerbass earbuds.

to the guy asking about bose qc series, apparently sony has a new ANC headphone that people are saying beats everything bose. if it's not out now it should be soon. soory I forgot the model name but it's the successor to the old one and it should have anc in the name.

Well im buying the Sony MDR-XB90EX. It's an IEM though, getting them tommorow ill let you know if it shit or not. Dunno why you want earbuds when you have one of the best closed headphones.

isn't the new SMSL M3 or whatever it's called like $50? seems good and it's less than the going for an e10k.

Piston 2

Graph frequency of the earbud.

Here is the fortex th900 for reference.

bm800 needs phantom power too

it happens but it honestly doesn't matter, that little plastic piece does nothing, the load is handled by the black circle pin things. some people even cut them off on purpose.

an amp can and will effect how a headphone or IEM sounds negatively. but it's more a matter of eliminating stuff that just has an outright problem than buying a "better" amp to improve sound quality above the natural response. same goes for dacs, though you're much less likely to run into a bad one of those, pretty much all modern dacs are transparent to the normal listener. bad amps are very common, you usually find them in cheap players, laptops, and phones. but again it depends on the headphones. high impedance is bad, but generally inaudible on most headphones, IEMs are much more susceptible no noise from cheap amps. but barring noise, can an amp actually change how a headphone sounds outside of volume? yes, though in general it's rare since only a few headphones have this behavior, and even when they do the difference is small. headphones like the 558/598 which have uneven impedance response can sound slightly different in the lower mids if the amp has high output impedance. some headphones have slightly tighter or more impactful bass from more power if damping factor comes into play, but again it usually doesn't. in your case, the k702 should be fine out of just a mobo amp, it might be a bit quieter than you're used to but unless you listen at deafening levels you'll be fine. most people use an amp for convenience and features as part of their chain, even if that means just having a knob at hand, or to eliminate noise, not because their headphones actually need to get louder.

Not a fan of iems. My head hurts after few hours and my ear gets way too sweaty to make them enjoyable. th900 is an absolute beast with bass boosted at sub bass freq but its not as "casual" as ear buds.

Sony buds look good except for the droopy high frequency but It has really amazing bass frequency response.

Yea I guess I was looking for the impossible. What model of earphones are these? It looks pretty darn good until 10k

I don't have an amp, and I need something for monitoring that is better than a Superlux HD668B. Which should I take?

MDR 7506 if you need a closed headphone, AKG K702/Q701/K701 if you want open.

I don't see the point on an open-headphone unless you're playing a video game and really want the directional audio. I'm want this to listen to music that I record with my guitar/monitor the guitar as I play.

Apple Earpods and to me they look peaky as fuck.

The advantages of an open heapdhone over a closed one aren't limited to a better directional audio, like you say.

that's a piston hybrid, not a 3.

>viper bass
>viper clarity

sounds like broad eq boosts for retards, can't you just use a real eq?

isn't cross-talk on the v6 on purpose? 7506 is the isolated one.

since when was pantera "electra"?

you would need an entire measurement rig, not exactly a small order. just looking up other's measurements from good sources is enough for eq. if you don't want to eq yourself (you really should to learn if nothing else), there are some programs that basically give you presets from a database. I know goldenears has one, but I think it's only for phones.

681 evo is pretty good at being a bass monster. many "basshead" headphones, including the sony xb series and JVC sz series have pretty uneven response and get their "nigger bass" through big peaks in the bass region, like the original beats. the evo just has a normal upwards slope.

earbuds by design are terrible at bass. bass is the most seal-reliant part of the response. no seal = nobass, and buds cannot get a proper seal like IEMs can. if you want a bassy IEM that isn't overly v-shaped like most are, get a piston 2

I don't know what I want then. I want something extremely comfortable that allows me to monitor the sound accurately without an amplifier.

more natural sound and extension from lack of cup reflections/resonances. open headphones just sound more natural, especially in the upper mids and highs, which is why every flagship and most well-regarded high-end headphones are open. not that they don't have design challenges, bass being the biggest.

all but the dt770 would be good, depends on how "hardcore" the monitoring is. I like the sound of the v6 better, but he 7506 is technically the better monitoring headphone because each channel is totally isolated. but the difference in sound between the two is small, and not worth the extra price for someone who wants it as a tool. if you're looking for all-day comfort the hm5/xpt-100 is better.

unless you work in a very quiet environment, for monitoring I would go closed.

>get a piston 2
*hybrid

the 2 is v-shaped, though not extremely. the hybrid is like the 2 with the treble spike neutered.

hm5/ xpt-100
what is even the difference desu

accessories and pads. some have said the XPT feels looser in clamp but I don't buy it since they're based on the same headphone.

the xpt-100 is like $80 so I guess it's the better deal if they're legitimately the same thing barring accessories I don't give a shit about.

do it. the XPT-100 has much better pads anyways. unless they changed something you get 2 pairs as well, and they can be used on different headphones as well.

the XPT-100 is $30 less than the HM5 and is the exact same headphone.

He said no amplifier and good for monitoring yet you suggest open back inaccurate and insensitive AKGs.

Positional audio is not related to open back design.

>7506

No. The XPT-100 is better in every way to the stupid shilled 7506/V-6 bullshit.

It's not if you want accuracy for monitoring. It's bassy/warm and has less even response.

Are you fucking kidding? The 7506 is way less neutral than the XPT-100.

it's really not. there is no other headphone close to that price that is so unforgivingly detailed. it might not be the best mastering or recording headphone, but it is a quintessential monitoring headphone. the xpt-100 is nice and even, but you are paying for better comfort, not better sound quality.

Are the 7506/V-6 headphones really that uncomfortable? I'm coming from these Superlux HD668B headphones and I can't stand wearing them. They're so fucking uncomfortable that I never want to wear them again. The stupid band digs into your head with these hard plastic audio-technica things and the pads are just solid and terrible. I hate it and I want something that is comfortable enough to wear for at least an hour if I'd like with absolutely no problems.

>neutrality is less important than clarity
I fucking shiggy.

not at all, it's more that the xpt-100 is exceptionally comfortable. like the 598, it's an "all-day" headphone, the even and non-fatiguing response helps too. as far as all headphones go the v6 ha above-average comfort imo and the design means it fits well on many different heads, so no k550-like seal/fit problems. the cups are a bit shallow and the pads are on the small side, so if you hate your ears touching anything that might be an issue, but personally I find them comfy with dt-250 pads which touch the ears even more. you can also get auray leather, which are a bit bigger than stock. DO NOT use very large pads, even if they fit, on the v6. it's one of those headphone where driver distance from the ear really matters, they sound really fucked up if you increase that distance with huge pads or stuffing.

when monitoring, yes that's generally true. many people choose headphones for monitoring specifically because they have certain elevations. monitoring is not the same as mastering or mixing, and it can vary a lot depending on the job. still, the v6 is fairly even and can be made to sound neutral with eq, the only subjective downside that some might not like is it does have an upper-midsy character.

Those are mutually inclusive and neutral response is very clear. I also can't see how the warm and somewhat more colored response of the XPT-100 could be more clear sounding.

I can't decide between the two now. :(

They're great and you know it.

how long do you spend at your desk realistically? if you spend hours and hours on end and you want a more general-use headphone, get the XPT. if not, get the v6. I personally think it has higher sound quality, and if you're into headphones you're going to end up buying it eventually anyways because of meme status. it really is a must own headphone. I will say this though: if you know for a fact that you find upper mids or treble fatiguing to the point where you have to have very warm-tilted, or bassy and highs rolled-off headphones, you'll probably never like the v6. it's not ear-rape like a dt990 or a grado, but it is a very lean, tight sounding headphone, that's part of it's appeal.

>Budget
~100usd
>Location
straya
>Source
Mostly phone
iem only
>Comfort level
As long as they're not falling out all the time I'm not fussed. It would be good if they stayed in when running but not really interested in autist tier sport earphones
>Preferred tonal balance
na
I'm looking at soundmagic e80's right now. does anyone know if theres any actual difference between the e80s and e80c? If its only the added volume buttons I'll probably just save the $30

this is strictly for the monitoring my electric guitar playing, two hours at the most per time. I just use my shitty speakers for anything I don't care about the quality of.

You wouldn't say that if you've tried some of the speakers I've bought.

t. Reseller

I have the takstars hi2050 right now and I love them, but I was considering maybe getting akg k7xx but the question is how much better is it really? is it worth it?

if you actually need it for proper studio monitoring

honestly the sound leap isnt that great
the hi2050 sound amazing for the price point
unless youre jumping into HD600 + territory, youre not going to notice much other than a slight boost in clarity and soundstage, since the hi2050's arent as open

honestly the i find all akg headphones less comfortable than takstars
that circle design just doesnt seal right on my head

Just got my DT770 80s, does anyone have any advice for mixing the sound a bit? Is there a good program for it?

what do you mean mixing the sound?
as in equalization?
best non-parametric option is viper4windows
its easy to understand if you dont want to delve deeper into vst plugins for foobar or whatever

that is what I meant, my terminology is completely off, thanks user

no worries
tho some options for viper introduce a tiny bit of audio latency
if youre using it for vidya like csgo it might bother you

doesnt affect shit for films or yt vids or anything tho

>uncertainty principle
This is not quite Heisenberg's uncertainty principle*. This is a different application, but the underlying math is similar.

The opposed behavior of time and frequency is a common trait of all Fourier transform variable pairs, or conjugate variables. The Fourier transform naturally spits out periodic sines and cosines, so it immediately takes to the relation of frequency and time. Any pair of variables that can be considered a Fourier conjugate pair is subject to the same limit as time and frequency.

The broadly applicable inequality, the uncertainty principle:
>(σx)*(σξ) ≥ 1/(4π)
σ represents the standard deviation, x and ξ are whatever variables that can be considered as a pair of Fourier variables.
So, if the standard deviation in frequency is 500 Hz, then the time indeterminacy is a minimum of 1ms**. On the time-frequency plane (think Spek and other spectrograms), there is a fundamental resolution limit to the area. That is where the problems begin.

We are very interested in seeing a high resolution visualization of the frequency response and prioritize that over our ability to see that in time. Directly analyzing the IR is hard and since we don't discard the original data, we normally don't mind. However, when you try to do a simultaneous analysis, you run right into the limiting area.

>Goldenears
They apply an aggressive third-octave smoothing, but the CSDs they have possess a poor time resolution for our ends. We can see the big blobs along the time scale, and the oscillation our low frequency sinusoids should be doing is not readily discerned. The visible decay is largely the just the window function used to round off sharp changes.
If they had really wanted to apply octave smoothing to the graph, they should have used a constant-Q transform. Unlike the standard FFT, constant-Q has a fixed octave resolution with an adjusted time and frequency width.

GearBest you stupid nigger, like all other chink shit. $12 rn

not him but theyre out of stock on gb
the normal 381 arent tho

i imagine you could find the 381b on aliexpress

I'm going fucking crazy /hpg/. I want to buy 10 different headphones because I can't pick, please help.
I've previously owned a pair of bose on-ear, a few cheap sony's and those JVC bass xxtreme over ears, the ath m50, the dt990 250ohm, hyper x clouds(underrated), and the sony XBA-H1 iems.

I use headphones while on the bus and at uni. I use them in bed, I use them at my desk for music and games. Three different use cases.

I have a $500 budget. I want to satisfy all of my use cases. I can also sell my XBA-H1 and Clouds for probably another $100.

Do I buy another pair of Dt990 (600 ohm this time), an amp to power them(portable hopefully so I can use it with my phone on the bus), and then throw the rest into iem's for portability?

Or should I buy a good portable dac amp and throw the rest of the money into IEMs or closed over ears?

What would you do? Out of all of the headphones I have tried the dt990 sounded at least twice as good as the rest to my ears.

>(σx)*(σξ) ≥ 1/(4π)

This makes sense to me. Is this an ad hoc encoding, or is there an actual standard way that you are doing this?

fuck the greeks, btw. fuckin' pedophile cucks, the lot of them.

>On the time-frequency plane (think Spek and other spectrograms), there is a fundamental resolution limit to the area. That is where the problems begin.

You need to rewrite that so that it is clearer to a general reader. You need to step back from the esoteric math jargon and describe things plainly. If you can't figure out how, stop trying to explain them in public (this is a public post) until you do.

>Budget
100-130 eur
>Location
Italy
>Source
iPod Classic
full sized
>Open or closed
open I guess, unless closed aren't too big
>Comfort level
Reasonable
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral/bassy
>Past headphones
AKG K-518, they are a little too bassy

Planning to buy some HD 558's just for my desktop to play vidya and music, I wanted to know if it's necessary to buy an amp for them, or if I'm just better off saving the money and skipping it.

They don't need an amp.

I would personally buy the HD 600 and an amp.

Does anyone here have or have used akg k52/72/92?
Are they comfortable? Sound quality?

>Budget
Under 100 euros
>Location
Sweden
>Source
iPhone 5s and PC
Full size Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
Not bassy
>Past headphones
Siberia v2

I was previously told that they would be nice with an amp, are you sure they wouldn't make a difference?

don't I bought Astro A50 for my PC
>they fuck up all the time
Got a new Moto without a head phone jack instead of just using the adapter
>fell for the wireless meme again bough mid level wireless headphones
>they fuck up all the time

I use the 650 cable with my 600's. I bought mine from a UK custom site that cut them to whatever length you want and cap it off with a nice metal 3.5mm jack.

I suppose I did go overboard with jargon.

>Is this an ad hoc encoding, or is there an actual standard way that you are doing this?
Not sure of what you mean. The derivation, the special characters, or something else?

>You need to rewrite that so that it is clearer to a general reader
Time and frequency are two variables that you can plot on a graph, like "x" and "y". Each variable would be spread out somewhat, and you can multiply the spread of the two to get an area.
Time or frequency can be known as precisely as possible, but the product of the spread, the area, cannot be made smaller than 1/4π.

Perhaps this image could help illustrate, made with a set of tones. Time and frequency are two of the variables.
The upper left chart has a high time resolution: we can see that the tones are separate events, even the peaks of the first tone. However, we can't easily see what the frequency of the tone is.
As you move through the plots, the frequency becomes sharper and more distinct. The time relation does the opposite, they start to bleed into each other temporally.

*Heisenberg's relation fits more easily if you consider that matter acts as a wave. Appropriate manipulations can be made to to see it as a Fourier pair.
**SD of the Gaussian distribution. Applying certain assumptions to our signal maybe appear to defeat the uncertainty limit; we need to be careful about our definitions and how they are applied.

I would love them for home use because I hear they're pretty much end game for recreational listening but that would leave me with like $100 for my portable solution. I think buying a pair of closed 250 or less ohm over ears that are portable enough to go in a laptop bag would be best. Considering ordering the vmoda m100 and the ath sr07 and keeping which ever I prefer.

7506 or v6

For someone who likes Etymotic Research's neutral sound but don't like the comfort, what's the next best option?

I have an ER-4S but I'm looking for another IEM with high fidelity but without the deep dildo like fit.

Looking at Shure, budget is $1000 and under.

>what's the next best option
Trying Comply tips

I jerry rigged my car so that I took out the satellite input and spliced a 3.5mm jack to run to the front. Only problem is that I have to turn my stereo volume up 3/4 of the way to hear anything, but radio and CD work well at 1/4 volume. Can I just add a portable headphone amp to up the volume?

If so what's the cheapest headphone amp that will work well preferably with a USB charger?

I have the fiio e11 (also known as a3 kilimanjaro). Works great and have high gain too. Last for about 16hours, its portable.

I hate comply tips. I prefer Ety's foam tips.

Are these headphones and speakers we are talking about? Headphone amps cannot drive speakers at all.

It will be coming out of a car speaker.

The satellite cables are in the back, so my cable runs to the trunk where it's spliced into the stereo input. I believe the audio goes into the stereo, then through the stock amp afterwards. I just think the signal isn't strong enough to make it that far in the first place.

If you like the sensation of audio being played directly into your ear, go with either Sony.

The 770's are big, but very comfortable.

That 770 headband digs into my skull.

Not mine.

Did you try adjusting them?

Yeah, the headband needs to be more padded IMO.

Would an E10k be good for some DT 990 Pros?

Buy a foam strip from the dollar store and nigrig it?

I fucking hate coiled cables. They never hold their shape and they're heavier than normal cables. Fuck whoever came up with this shit.

Fuck you. I hate straight cables.

Coiled for the win

>>/lgbt/

>Update
replace that with the 7506 and it's the winner.

>When your headphone is so good the uptade the same headphone with a different sticker.

$20 less for a better plating, warranty, and both sides are actually isolated

What do you mean by better plating? Have you ever had a pure silver ring tarnish? Do you not polish it? How will you polish something gold plated? And gold plating will fade.

Should I be using the low gain or the high gain with the E10k and my HD600s?

>silver
...and what are you referring to? The plating on the V-6 is nickel, genius.

same question, but with DT880 pros and an E12

Is it nickle plated? Who's a genius when gold is not real gold. It's plated.

I bought a set of Sennheiser HD 558s as per Cred Forumss recommendation. I've been using them for 2 weeks or so now but honestly i'm not hearing much of a difference between these on my pc and just plugging in my $5 earbuds into my phone and playing music. They're comfy but sound-quality wise it seems the same.

Should I invest in a DAC or something? If so which would you recommend? It'll be for home use only. Sorry, i'm really new to this gud sound meme.

Answer these questions:

Where are you plugging them into?

Laptop or custom desktop?

Motherboard brand?

Bitrate of music?

HD558's are 50 ohms, not 30. Do you have an amp already since you will need one?

>Where are you plugging them into
Headphone spot in the back of my pc

>Laptop or custom desktop
Custom desktop, has a gtx 760 and an amd fx 8350 [spoiler]pls don't bully[/spoiler]

>Motherboard brand
It's been years, don't remember for sure. It was pretty cheap though.

>Bitrate of music
I mostly use youtube and online music streaming. Not sure what bitrate is typical for them.

>Do you have an amp
Nope, no amp and no sound card on my pc.

I use this DAC

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FEDHHKE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474665756&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=muse dac&dpPl=1&dpID=41b9lY8vJ9L&ref=plSrch

Other cheap dac would be the Sabre DAC or the behringer DAC, but i never used those.

Phones will only power up to 30 ohms, I recommend getting a mobile amp if you want to take them on the go or use a sound card to install in your pc, you can get one for 30 bucks on amazon. Otherwise your headphones will sound quiet and not full enough.

YT and streaming services are compressed audio files, and what's even worse, they download while you are playing so they sound like shit. Try downloading a song that's 320kbs or lossless and you will hear a clear difference like day and night.

Low gain, if volume is too weak, then switch to high gain.

When you mean too weak, do you mean turning the knob all the way?
Anything above 3 on low gain is already too loud for me.

I don't plan on using my phone with these headphones, what amp do you recommend for my desktop? Do I also need a DAC?

>Try downloading a song that's 320kbs or lossless
Downloading a FLAC to see now.

>HD558's are 50 ohms, not 30. Do you have an amp already since you will need one?
Not quite how that works.

>Do I also need a DAC?
What problems are you having with your current DAC?

>Phones will only power up to 30 ohms
Really not how that works.

>What problems are you having with your current DAC?
I don't have one. this thread about 2 weeks ago said I didn't need one for HD 558s but I kinda think I was memed.

i just found out my manager at work owns a pair of Sennheiser HD 800s (the $1600 ones), a $2000 amp, and another expensive pair of Astros for gaming. What do you guys think he listens to?

anime soundtracks

youtube rips

> tfw I'm the only one with good headphones and mechanical keyboards at work

downloaded a FLAC, didn't seem any different from the youtube version.

Send help

>mfw finally using my ATH-50MX's after 2 months of using earbuds due to a skin infection on my ear.

Maybe hearing loss? You dont have tinnitus right? Btw did you do the HD 558 form mod? You have to remove the form so it sound like the 598. Sennheiser gimp the 558 on purpose.

Foam*

Touhou music or classical.

Is that a fucking hotel room?

That means he brought his entire audio setup with him during a vacation.

>foam mod
I didn't, is there a guide for it? My hearing isn't perfect but i'm far from deaf.

I don't know, a few years back someone I knew got a pair of studio headphones (I don't know what kind but he said they were about $500). He let me try them on and I couldn't hear a single thing outside of them, even myself talk. They also sounded amazing and i've been kind of craving a similar experience ever since.

Anyone used the VSONIC VSD1S? How are they?

Looking for IEMs under $40.

>couldnt hear anything outside of them
Bose q25? It had to be active noise cancelling headphones.

Just google "hd558 foam mod" their should be a link in first 2 with a youtube tutorial video somewhere.

>Budget
$2000 and under
>Location
USA
>Source
ODAC -> O2
Circumaural
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Must be comfortable
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
HD600

I'm looking for an upgrade over the HD600, I know it's considered the most neutral headphone here but I'm willing to get something that's considered an upgrade, even if the sound signature differs a bit. I have no idea where to start, looking at HD800 or HD800S.

Does anyone have that image showing the headphones to buy by tiers going from left to right?

Why do you post these 5/10 pornstars?

t-this is my first post here... :(

If budget > $300
buy HD600
else
buy MDR-V6

>If budget > $300
>buy HD800
>else
>buy MDR-7506
ftfy

>HD800
kek'd

It's probably a headphone meet.

It's a hobby that a bunch of poor and old depressed men with shit hearing do to pass the time.

They rate each other placebos.

looking at options

fill out the form kiddo

Beats by Dre. Fill out the form.

We need a new bread.

NEW BREAD

HD800 is a massive downgrade in sound but build quality, comfort, etc is better.

yes

MDR-7506.
for portable use?

these are still in production? Dunno, never tried it but the guy on theheadphonelist says it's good

DT250 pads are a bad suggestion with the V6 and 7506.

But they fit though

Changes the sound too much. Not worth it, velour and V6/7606 are a bad mix. Go for pleather or leather or some other shit.

HD419

>not at all, it's more that the xpt-100 is exceptionally comfortable. like the 598, it's an "all-day" headphone, the even and non-fatiguing response helps too.
Is the headband padded?

Measuring can be done with RoomEQWizard and correction with Digital Room Correction or an equalizer. You just have to define what "certain conditions" are...

Ideally you'd get a measurement microphone to stick in your own ear. If you use around- or on-ears you could just do a blocked meatus measurement with a piece of polymer clay and a $2 electret capsule and it'd probably work fine. Put the headphones on and measure. Use equalizer or DRC to correct them to delicious flat.

But for headphones you don't want flat because headphones cut the acoustic effects of your head out of the loop. You need to come up with a target response. You could measure another set of headphones and use that, but the most commonly accepted ideal is the diffuse field target (what a perfectly flat frequency response generated by speakers would sound like to the mic in your ear, measured from all directions). Measuring the target and the headphones being corrected the exact same way is essential.

I haven't done it because my room acoustics are too complicated to equalize flat enough to bother. I might try it outside some day, no walls and ceiling to reflect sound should help considerably. I also don't think you need to measure below 300Hz or so so a single tiny speaker would do.

Or you could just trace frequency responses from sites that have measurements and invert them. I've had okay results with innerfidelity's raw graphs + custom target curves (such as diffuse field ones, harman target, other headphones, tuned-by-ear etc.) with open-back circumaurals or in-ears. I never get a similar seal to the measurements with closed back headphones. Audacity's FIR Equalizer is very easy to precisely trace graphs with. Just remember that your head isn't the same as the dummy head and the headphones measured weren't your copy. Above 7kHz all bets are off.