What should be done about unified messaging?

What should be done about unified messaging?

It's a chaotic mess, and SMS is the only alternative. I don't want to have a folder of generic messaging apps sitting on my phone taking up space when they all do the same thing. SMS much simpler and works out of the box without having to set up a profile or anything, but it's nowhere near as fast or feature-rich.

Get friends who embrace the botnet.

All I use is iMessage and WhatsApp these days (and you don't have to set up a profile for neither). There isn't a confusing mess, really.

Apple could seriously take over the market if they released an android app and an API.

>2016
>Using SMS

SMS is terrible, yes, but it's hands-down the easiest way to talk to people who don't have iMessage. (So 80% of smartphones on the market right now.)

The concept of unified messaging completely goes against how companies are supposed to function. A messaging app HAS to be anti-competitive to be successful at all.

>but it's hands-down the easiest way to talk to people who don't have iMessage

Only in the US. The WhatsApp infestation here in Yurop is already ubiquitous

used to use msn messenger everywhere, plenty of good third party programs that supported it

now it's dead and i have no friends. i don't even know what people use now

South América is full WhatsApp too, iMessage doesn't exist here, iPhone users use WhatsApp and SMS are laughing stock (and overpriced as hell)

Prosody + conversations + omemo.

Add extensions to Prosody to recreate imessage functionality.

Same here in Germany. My friends have 90% iPhones but the few Android users actually managed to get everyone on Whatsapp.

I actually remember using iMessage extensively when it originally came out, but Android wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is now back then.

IRC using only 1 big server.

Get friends who are also paranoid fucks like yourself.

The only time I have to use anything other than Telegram (which is still botnet, but w/e it's a comfy placebo) and Signal is when I'm using slack for my college projects. And I hate slack (literally takes up 1 gig of virtual memory on lunix). The only reason I use it is because the lead ideas weeb insists on it. I convinced him to turn on the irc capability and I connect to it using pidgin.

I honestly don't get why people discuss instant messaging software. Like, how many friends do you have on each of them? 2? I don't know anyone who just doesn't use SMS and Facebook.

It's funny because IRC is the worst possible way to communicate under any setting next to smoke signals

just use email

write properly well thought out messages and you're clear

people who use PGP are put on a list

Funny, I put my jabber id on my resume and sent it out; I get more communique through my JID than I do email now.

Just put them all in one folder silly

Which is a shame because WhatsApp is just fucking awful. So bad.

You would think so many people would choose a better app, but nope. WhatsApp.

3 of them i've never even heard of

i swear, every time someone mentions an IM, it's something different. every single time

Because it's easy to set up and works. This is literally the only reason. The UX is actually really good and "normie-friendly" for a third party messenger.

It does not require you to create an account. It does not require you to remember an additional password. It does not require you to manually add your friends.

You just install it, receive an SMS and instantly see who of your friends you can write with.

>It does not require you to create an account. It does not require you to remember an additional password. It does not require you to manually add your friends.
... then how does it work?

It checks whether the phone numbers in your contacts have WA too

SMS isn't the only alternative. MMS is a well-defined standard supported by all Android, iOS, and Windows phones. It can send pictures, video, and audio

so you'd need a phone number to use it?

of course you do

but then again, I don't know too many people with phones but no phone number so I don't really see why that's a problem

Currently in my messageing folder: Signal, fb messagener, textra, Whatsapp. Will try out allo when it's available here

i use email for most business stuff, and i can read/write those offline, and sync them anywhere with wifi, so why pay for a cell service?
plus my work is performed on computers, not out in random places

I use different platforms and accounts for different things to help me stay on task. I also prefer asynchronous comms, like forums and email. I also don't chase Tinder bots, so I only use the one messaging app that everyone in my meatspace life uses.

what are you talking about
whatsapp has already won

>Only in the US. The WhatsApp infestation here in Yurop is already ubiquitous
Here in Florida Whatsapp is catching on. Probably 70/30 Kik to Whatsapp user ratio.

Dude I have 2 friends irl

Friendless autists like you aren't exactly their target market