Facebook says it overestimated average video viewing time metric by 60%-80% for 2 years

wsj.com/articles/facebook-overestimated-key-video-metric-for-two-years-1474586951

Archive link: archive.is/P7x9D

Massive lawsuits are incoming from advertisers who feel they overpaid for the video ads on a platform where people don't watch as many videos as they were led to believe.

Facebook stock price expected to collapse tomorrow.

Facebook has ads? I always wondered how they made money.

How do you fuck up that bad?

>How do you fuck up that bad?

They probably did it intentionally.

It's basically a fraud.

are you seriously that retarded?

Can Facebook finally just fucking die? Pure fucking cancer that needs to be eradicated.

Can someone explain? They were counting views longer than 3 seconds, so that number was less than the actual one, not more. Were is the fraud? Or advertisers care about the time and not the amount of views?

This. Out of all the big tech companies they're the lamest by far.

What have they really done? Google's products are undeniably brilliant and useful. Amazon is the absolute benchmark in eCommerce, Microsoft has the enterprise market on lockdown, Apple is Apple, say what you want but their ecosystem is impressive and their hardware engineers are brilliant.

But Facebook? I really can't think of anything brilliant about them. All they have done is bought out other companies to diversify themselves because they know Facebook on its own is shit.

>lmao let's buy instagram
>lmao let's buy Snapchat... wtf, I hate Snapchat now!
>lmao let's buy Oculus

Kill linkedin too.

FB won't die, it will become the IBM of social media.
It's there and its huge, younger people sign up for it because family is there but the must have app is something else.

I stopped using FB years ago, sure you can do some cool shit thanks to FB but too often it feels like spammy shit and forced awkward social interactions with relatives/friends of course this gets worse as FB keeps recommending you more and more friends and then you end up with borderline racist comments popping up from people you don't even keep in touch outside of FB.

Facebook was cool back in 2007 but it's become a literal botnet. It's nothing but a place where retards feel important while they mine all your data. You can thank them for the acceleration of the era we've reached that has virtually no privacy.

Someone doesn't understand everyone in Cred Forums is competent enough to run ad blocking software.

The advertisers were caring about quality of traffic. If you pin the requirement at 3 seconds it's not nearly good enough for an ad to be effective. I am going to guess that the ideal is ad has to be seen for at least 10 seconds and the content has to be seen for at least 30 seconds for an ad to be worthwhile.

Linked in theory is great
It's the millennial generation and their stupid fucking blog posts and memes ruining it

I think the decline started when they opened it up to everyone.
The golden era of FB was when it was for college students only, now its a place where your parents on there too

People want their own little circles.

The things you link/talk about/whatever with your friends are different from your family.
FB (with its default settings iirc) makes it all visible to all your friends defeating the purpose.

Plus lets face it, people are narcissistic, they love attention and want likes/comments and other shit.

this has been known for a billion years, are advertisers seriously this incompetent and out of touch.

give me a you please

im testing

Hooray!

Have a (You) and please lurk moar

Remember when MySpace was just for amateur music acts?

Facebook sucks, also it is a jewish crap.

>ads
>facebook

Never seen 'em. What?

you can't fuck with (((zuck)))

>are advertisers seriously this incompetent and out of touch.

was it ever something else?

I remember in middle/high school that was what you went on to chat with friends. Also you could set your top 8 and cause drama, and customize your page with cancerous HTML. Then I realized you could put the HTML in bulletin and comment posts and tried to break everyone else's pages so they would delete my comments on sight.

I thought they made money from selling user data? But now that you mention it, ad money makes more sense.

I've essentially grown up ad-free. It's easy to forget something exists if you've never been exposed to it.

i only went as far as hearing about it, wasn't into myspace then just as i'm uninterested in facebook now

as far as social stuff went, i used msn messenger and forums

Fuck niggers

>I don't have a social life
Gotcha

>social life == social media
wew lad

Did you know that normalfags don't use social media nowadays? Except for kids and niggers of course.

>only remembers Amazon for eCommerce
>has never heard of AWS

Ironically, Cred Forums is more social than any of these “social platforms”

The latter are mostly focused around your personal image, rather than actual communication and discourse - which is what we are doing right now

Azure > aws

As long as the execs have plausible deniability like wells Fargo then nothing will happen.